Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: "Serie A" - Inter looking to lure Benitez

Hidink is much too clever to go to Inter Milan...not even for all the money in the world...

hahaaha typical stupid Inter board. Keep sacking your coaches no matter how well you do and it'll be another 20 years without you winning anything! :lol:

They just expect MAGIC from a coach and never give enough time for him to actualy transform this great club into a serious title challenger. They don't understand things don't happen overnight and it's best to give Mancini 3-4 years even to see if he can do something instead of chaning a coach every 2 years when it's not enough time for anybody to make this team as strong as Juve and will be another 2 decades without a Scudeto.

Massimo Moratti deserves so much credit for the brilliant work he's done!! :lol:

This is a bit offtopic as it's not really about Serie A but it is a question related to Italian language and since we should have a fair few who speak it here I thought I'd ask this random question ;)

Today when watching Bayern vs. AC Milan on Italian channel over here (My satelite went down :( ), I had to listen to Italian commentary of course and heard this word that sounds like or is pronounced like "Monaco" like 30 times. So now I'm just wondering what it could be and what it means? :)

ehhh what the hell? lol and I suppose Munich means "Monaco? :roll: :lmao:

Professor Nutmeg said:
Inter looking to lure Benitez

Inter are ready to offer Rafa Benitez £50m to prise him away from Liverpool, according to reports today.

The Daily Mirror claims that unless Roberto Mancini leads the Nerazzurri to Champions League success this season, he will be out of a job in the summer and, according to the tabloid, Benitez heads Inter patron Massimo Moratti’s list of desired candidates.

Benitez, who won the Primera Liga with Valencia, took over at Liverpool in 2004 and ended years of underachievement for the Premiership club by winning the Champions League in his first season in charge.

Moratti has overseen a similarly disappointing reign at the San Siro, with both the League title and the Champions League eluding his beloved side despite having ploughed over £446m of his personal fortune into the club over the last 10 years, and now it seems that he sees Benitez as the man to restore Inter’s fortunes.

“Benitez has already proved he is a top manager in Spain and England and Inter believe he can now do the same in Italy,” an Inter source is quoted as saying.

"Winning the European Cup against Milan will make him immediately popular with Inter fans and his achievements with Valencia, where he twice won the title over Real Madrid and Barcelona, proves he has real pedigree."

Moratti is reputedly ready to set aside further significant funds for Benitez to spend should he decide to cut short his contract, which ends in 2009, in favour of a move to Italy.

Should the Spaniard spurn Moratti’s advances, however, Arsenal’s Arsène Wenger and PSV and Australia Coach Guus Hiddink are said to be next in line.

I don't think Benitez will leave until he wins the premiership. With some world class strikers joining in the summer, its possible.

Roma did it. They beat Lazio in the derby to win 11 in a row.

Was nice at the end when all the players put Totti's jersey on... Sensi (president) started crying during an interview.

btw- Mancini's feints for the 2nd goal!!

Last edited:

Milanista said:
I think its got to do with the Latin name of Munich... which I guess is Monaco.

you got the point. latin munich = monaco.

Roma made history tonight! Wonder when it'll be broken and by whom!

Deffo enjoyed game tonight Forza Roma , my bro is going to the game next week lucky bstrd!!! I think when Middlesbrough play them in Uefa cup they will find it a very hard game.PS Macini is quality through and through.

Re: "Serie A" - Juventus plot Gerrard raid

Juventus plot Gerrard raid

Reports in Italy on Tuesday are suggesting that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is Juventus’ No 1 summer transfer objective.

After the two parties were linked by some sections of the British media at the weekend, whispers in the peninsula today seem to confirm that the England man is wanted.

Although Juventus arguably already have the best central midfield partnership in world football thanks to Emerson and Patrick Vieira, boss Fabio Capello is keen for even more alternatives.

The club already seem to have agreed to sign Cristiano Zanetti from Inter on a free transfer, but Gerrard is wanted too – a player who would eventually take over from the ageing Emerson.

Juventus are said to be willing to offer Liverpool £21m for the Anfield favourite, or £17m plus French defender Jonathan Zebina.

The player himself, who has been tracked by Chelsea over the last two summers, could net himself close to £4m a season for the next four years if he accepts.

Juventus have a reputation of improving their squad with at least one big name signing before the start of each season.

In the summer of 2004 they surprisingly swooped for Zlatan Ibrahimovic after agreeing an £11.5m fee with Ajax.

They then convinced Premiership outfit Arsenal to sell inspirational Frenchman Vieira for just £14m last August.

Professor Nutmeg said:
Juventus plot Gerrard raid

Reports in Italy on Tuesday are suggesting that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is Juventus’ No 1 summer transfer objective.

After the two parties were linked by some sections of the British media at the weekend, whispers in the peninsula today seem to confirm that the England man is wanted.

Although Juventus arguably already have the best central midfield partnership in world football thanks to Emerson and Patrick Vieira, boss Fabio Capello is keen for even more alternatives.

The club already seem to have agreed to sign Cristiano Zanetti from Inter on a free transfer, but Gerrard is wanted too – a player who would eventually take over from the ageing Emerson.

Juventus are said to be willing to offer Liverpool £21m for the Anfield favourite, or £17m plus French defender Jonathan Zebina.

The player himself, who has been tracked by Chelsea over the last two summers, could net himself close to £4m a season for the next four years if he accepts.

Juventus have a reputation of improving their squad with at least one big name signing before the start of each season.

In the summer of 2004 they surprisingly swooped for Zlatan Ibrahimovic after agreeing an £11.5m fee with Ajax.

They then convinced Premiership outfit Arsenal to sell inspirational Frenchman Vieira for just £14m last August.

AAAAAA LOLLLLL LOL :lmao:

yea apologies for that one word post....(!)

I don't understand the logic in all that. Gerrard is playing for a club he loves which is doing ok and improving under a great manager. He is a legend at Liverpool and is loved by the fans. TBH, I can't see a better position to be in for a player....

Of course he may do the same in Juve but I can't see why you'd want to fix something that is not broken.

Ibrahimovich was similarly a legend in Ajax - but these days Ajax only seems to be selling their players :(

The Vieira case was a lil strange but I guess Arsenal wanted something from him especially if there was a chance he can leave for free. It has proven to be a huge mistake by them.

But I guess media talk comes when a player is doing so well. TBH, I can't see Gerrard leaving anytime soon (if ever ;) ).

I saw bits of the tribute game for Demetrio Albertini. It was great to see the 3 Dutch guys in action again. Van Basten scored a great header. I also loved the expression of Ronaldinho when van Basten came on. Van Bronckhorst got the shirt Marco played in, he was really proud, which was great to see.

Milanista, in Holland van Basten is really a God, maybe even more than Cruyff. What's that like in Milan? Is he still considered their best striker ever? Also, is it true fans voted him the second best player in club history right after Baresi?

That Milan team was one of the best ever: imagine a team with Maldini, Baresi, Donadoni (ahhh...Donadoni), Ancelloti, Rijkaard, Gullit and Van Basten....fan-f*cking-tastic...

I still remember a great Van Basten goal in the Dutch competition (wasn't it against Volendam????).

There even was a television program were Van Basten reels were put on ballet music...maybe a litle bit exagerated but it sure proves that he was one of the most elegant players ever...

I remember that program, it was with Rudi van Danzig, the ballet guy in Holland. There was a great goal against Volendam, starting from his own half, dribbling past 4 guys, chipping it over the keeper with his left foot from outside the 16 meter.
But I think you meant the overhead kick aginst Den Bosch

Last edited:

joostebrood said:
I saw bits of the tribute game for Demetrio Albertini. It was great to see the 3 Dutch guys in action again. Van Basten scored a great header. I also loved the expression of Ronaldinho when van Basten came on. Van Bronckhorst got the shirt Marco played in, he was really proud, which was great to see.

Milanista, in Holland van Basten is really a God, maybe even more than Cruyff. What's that like in Milan? Is he still considered their best striker ever? Also, is it true fans voted him the second best player in club history right after Baresi?

Yes, he is a God. Interviews after the game showed that many people went to the game to see him instead of Albertini. Everyone knows him, even if they barely watched him (like me). Sad thing is that Costacurta is 2 years older than him, and still plays top level football. Van Basten only retired at 29 and was a legend after only about 4-6 years at Milan. Hes highly predicted to be the next Milan coach after the WC.

Gerd, you forgot Papin, Desailly, Savicevic, Rossi and loads more!

I was referring to the team that beat Steaua Bukarest in the ECI final in 1989 and if my memory serves me well Papin, Desailly (both at Marseille then) and Savicevic (Crvena Zvezda with Prosinecki, Mihailovic, Pancev, Belodedici another great team which was broken up by the civil war) wzere not in that first team.
The guys you mention (maybe apart from Rossi) were in the team with Boban which IMHO was less good...

That Albertini game just reminded me once again of Julio Salinas.

Quality player! :D

Back
Top Bottom