PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

This! In League play I haven't seen much changes in scripting (dont know if related to team spirit) vs ML. I played 2 games of ML and right away I felt something was off. League for now is the way to go for me as its the only way I get enjoyment out of PES. Its a shame that these two play so differently
I agree both modes play differently. I only play regular league as it is more balanced and unperdictable

Reading in other forum, some dude said that to erradicate pinpon passing is making the passing more manual. I think that once you master the manual passing the pinpon will still endure.
Stat based is the perfect way imo. Some players can perform difficult passes and some cannot. Never? Well almost never. If your player have the arrow form up, he will play better. This is other thing that I miss in this latests PES. Arrows dont make much difference in players form.

Sorry for the bad english.

Reading in other forum, some dude said that to erradicate pinpon passing is making the passing more manual. I think that once you master the manual passing the pinpon will still endure. *Snip* Sorry for the bad english.
Great English, don't worry! I 100% agree with you.

Along the same lines, I really dislike the shooting. I support a non-league team and in their last game, they scored two goals from outside of the box. In real-life, you see plenty of goals scored from that sort of range, and it's not superstars who do it - it's average players who are given too much time/space on the ball. In PES, I don't see long-range goals.

If you're not using manual shooting, in my experience, you're not even going to hit the target from outside the box, let alone score, so don't even try. It's going to miss the goal by a couple of yards every time, no matter what (I'm sure there are exceptions but I've been playing for two seasons, 70+ games so far, and I don't remember it ever happening).

But when I use manual shooting, even when I hit the target (which I admit isn't often), it's a save. (Again, I'm sure there are experts out there who have a different experience - but the knock-on effect of this for me is that I score the same goal over and over again*.)

I love the game, but I'm scoring the same goal every game - my wingers are never marked, the opposition's wing-backs always retreat (so much for that PR about the AI "learning" from what you do), and I eventually score with a header...

...UNLESS I'm playing a team I'm not supposed to beat, in which case, the headers will inexplicably go MILES over the bar.

The worst thing is, I found the same thing in PES 2016, posting a video of it back in 2015 - I'd like to think it's just my play style, but a quick glance at Twitter tells me it's not just me that thinks crossing is horribly overpowered (even our own @zeemeister has mentioned it recently).

Last edited:

Along the same lines, I really dislike the shooting. I support a non-league team and in their last game, they scored two goals from outside of the box. In real-life, you see plenty of goals scored from that sort of range, and it's not superstars who do it - it's average players who are given too much time/space on the ball. In PES, I don't see long-range goals.

If you're not using manual shooting, in my experience, you're not even going to hit the target from outside the box, let alone score, so don't even try. It's going to miss the goal by a couple of yards every time, no matter what (I'm sure there are exceptions but I've been playing for two seasons, 70+ games so far, and I don't remember it ever happening).

But when I use manual shooting, even when I hit the target (which I admit isn't often), it's a save. (Again, I'm sure there are experts out there who have a different experience - but the knock-on effect of this for me is that I score the same goal over and over again*.)

I love the game, but I'm scoring the same goal every game - my wingers are never marked, the opposition's wing-backs always retreat (so much for that PR about the AI "learning" from what you do), and I eventually score with a header...

...UNLESS I'm playing a team I'm not supposed to beat, in which case, the headers will inexplicably go MILES over the bar.

The worst thing is, I found the same thing in PES 2016, posting a video of it back in 2015 - I'd like to think it's just my play style, but a quick glance at Twitter tells me it's not just me that thinks crossing is horribly overpowered (even our own @zeemeister has mentioned it recently).

I use Manual shooting as if i dont then all my shots will be central.
I have scored quite a lot of ranged goals on here, but maybe its because i tend to shoot outside the box ALOT as i find it hard to dip dap the ball around the box as i just find the last gasp tackles and homing missile tackles annoying.

Crossed goals i find a bit more of a struggle apart from the "running a diagonal just inside the 18" cross.

Just on a side note, is anybody else a bit P'ed off that Konami didnt give the Liverpool legends their own run on myclub?

I mean mixing them with regular players is stupid, i whacked £8 on just so i could get Robbie Fowler, but would of settled for any LFC legend... and to be fair i did get an LFC legend.. but for all the wrong reasons, Benteke.. yep thats right Benteke, then Sakho (i like him though)

All i wanted was Fowler for my ML, i could careless for myclub tbh.

I am playing both 2016 and 2017 on the PS3 and use Advanced Shooting. I find a fair number of goals coming from outside of the box in 2016 much less in 2017. There seem to be quite a few more goals from the CPU and myself on 2016.

Crossing is waaaaay overpwered and everyone online uses it.

It's one thing playing wide play and trying to trick your opponent but guys online play one tactic. Counter attack and cross that is all. I keep losing games by being outscored and it's atleast 70% of the goals are conceded after I have lost the ball and it goes wide and swung in for the header.

The shameful part is Konami must know this. It's not a matter of opinion or poor defending from my side. You can setup all the tactics and advanced instructions you want. The game forces you into one method of play and that's the killer online.

Not even putting a big burly CB to man mark the attacker he will still score and while you defend well and stop them on occasions of someone keeps trying he same tactic over and over with a 90% success rate they will keep trying it.

I play on full manual and hardly able to score from headers even though I send a lot of crosses every game. I do score variety of goals, shots from outside the box sometime, low crosses tab ins or take advantage of the balls that bounce from defense or keeper etc. I don't know where the differences in game experience is coming from but ti's strange. It might be simply based on game difficulty or camera settings or something.

^ I've gone to PA1 and manual headers are still really difficult to score..it's a bit easier now to head the ball persumably due to the more accurate flight of the ball ..I got more success from using manual override cross than with normal manual cross

Online Divisions with Full manual settings is a real blast tbh. Sure some opponents still use auto shooting and basic through balls but they are not that many actually. The "sure" goal from crossing when playing online with PA1 is not there at all, u can still score from headers/volleys etc but no where near when playing with PA1.

Most people pick lesser teams as well. Personally I like mixing it up, picking Brazil NT one match and Santos the other, makes the game feel fresh.

Chris-- besides long range shots and variety in shooting & goals which I completely agree with you about. One thing that's truly killing the satisfaction, for me personally, is the shot meeter.

What made shooting so great on PS2 WE/PES? For me, it was the tension created from the shot meeter that worked so well back then especially the older winning eleven games. Like my favorite, WE7 International. The shot meeter was so sensitive, add that with shooting stats that actually work and you have a formula that creates a sense of satisfaction when scoring. The shot meeter in 2017 and the past few years doesn't create that tension...atleast for me it doesn't.

For example, I was playing WE7I as Italy vs Brazil in the WC QF. I was losing 2-1. In the final minute I was able to get down the wing and send a low cross on the ground to the top of the 6 yard box and running onto it was Inzaghi and as the ball was about to reach Inzaghi I pressed the shot button (meanwhile my palms are sweating, the end of match tension is real) and I right away knew I pressed the button for slightly a bit too long and Inzaghi hits the cross bar and the ball bounces out of play----- from the 6 yard box! I lost 2-1 :(

But it was amazing! I knew why I didn't score that goal it was my fault. The shot meeter created that tension....wish they would go back to that meeter and implement it in 2018

Chris-- besides long range shots and variety in shooting & goals which I completely agree with you about. One thing that's truly killing the satisfaction, for me personally, is the shot meeter.

What made shooting so great on PS2 WE/PES? For me, it was the tension created from the shot meeter that worked so well back then especially the older winning eleven games. Like my favorite, WE7 International. The shot meeter was so sensitive, add that with shooting stats that actually work and you have a formula that creates a sense of satisfaction when scoring. The shot meeter in 2017 and the past few years doesn't create that tension...atleast for me it doesn't.

For example, I was playing WE7I as Italy vs Brazil in the WC QF. I was losing 2-1. In the final minute I was able to get down the wing and send a low cross on the ground to the top of the 6 yard box and running onto it was Inzaghi and as the ball was about to reach Inzaghi I pressed the shot button (meanwhile my palms are sweating, the end of match tension is real) and I right away knew I pressed the button for slightly a bit too long and Inzaghi hits the cross bar and the ball bounces out of play----- from the 6 yard box! I lost 2-1 :(

But it was amazing! I knew why I didn't score that goal it was my fault. The shot meeter created that tension....wish they would go back to that meeter and implement it in 2018

In PES of PS2, we were able to keep filling the power meter after player hits the ball. It were way more intuitive. Knowdays, power bar fills too slow and it have this sling shot felling.

Couldn't agree more.

The shooting in FIFA 16 for example feels so much better. It just does. The shooting in PES 6 also feels wonderful, like anything could happen depending on body stance, speed, angle, ability. In this year's version it's very sterile and automated. Long range goals just don't seem possible.

Couldn't agree more.

The shooting in FIFA 16 for example feels so much better. It just does. The shooting in PES 6 also feels wonderful, like anything could happen depending on body stance, speed, angle, ability. In this year's version it's very sterile and automated. Long range goals just don't seem possible.

You can still score long range shots on 17, if you're talking about from outside the box using manual .as one guy pointed out a few months back the power is substituted now for height .. .instead of a hard shot you will get height the more pressure you put on the pad. Guys .. . there's tons of stuff from the old romantic era that's not there now. . the one big positive difference for me is the difficulty gives longevity to the game. . . when I mastered the old games it was easy to figure out how to win games and it became boring . .it's tougher now because the ball is not under your total control anymore. There's a lot to like about 17 and a lot of frustrations. . it's tough to pull off a beautiful move and score on Superstar. . one strange thing that I noticed is if you're constructing a move that's not the norm the AI can sometimes recognise what you're doing and give a "helping hand" and allow the move to happen. . .sounds strange but it's like a reward system for trying something different .. .the killer for me is the scripting especially in ML .. .it's soul destroying when you are outplaying a team and the result is predetermined and there's nothing that you can do about it. . .I honestly can't figure out what the answer is to bring the magic back . .there's so much involved in programming a game like this to get it realistic without sacrificing what was in previous editions . ..I'm hoping for a tweaked pes 18 at the most.

You can still score long range shots on 17, if you're talking about from outside the box using manual .as one guy pointed out a few months back the power is substituted now for height .. .instead of a hard shot you will get height the more pressure you put on the pad. Guys .. . there's tons of stuff from the old romantic era that's not there now. . the one big positive difference for me is the difficulty gives longevity to the game. . . when I mastered the old games it was easy to figure out how to win games and it became boring . .it's tougher now because the ball is not under your total control anymore. There's a lot to like about 17 and a lot of frustrations. . it's tough to pull off a beautiful move and score on Superstar. . one strange thing that I noticed is if you're constructing a move that's not the norm the AI can sometimes recognise what you're doing and give a "helping hand" and allow the move to happen. . .sounds strange but it's like a reward system for trying something different .. .the killer for me is the scripting especially in ML .. .it's soul destroying when you are outplaying a team and the result is predetermined and there's nothing that you can do about it. . .I honestly can't figure out what the answer is to bring the magic back . .there's so much involved in programming a game like this to get it realistic without sacrificing what was in previous editions . ..I'm hoping for a tweaked pes 18 at the most.

I think the pay off has to be there, and that is the feeling of scoring goals in PES. The YouTube journeys I get lost in are of all the beautiful goals from older PES games, why is that? It's because, it is the pay off. The reward. In PES 17, it's tough to feel that way, knowing that my shot is going to be purely struck, regardless of pressure or not, and I know if it's really well struck, that keeper will animate into an anti-gravity cape crusader flying across the goal, and make their attempts. Not only is this animation unrealistic, it's off putting, and now my focus is less on the goal I've scored and more on the fact that the keeper went into another animation - and the ball still went past them.

Branching off of that, there needs to be more imperfection in goals. More terrible, under pressure, shots, that go way off target and a teammate manages to control it and slot it in somehow.

People are complaining for years that GK's ar bad, and now you want crappier GK's. Imagine Konami reading this thread for feedback.

Don't complain if in PES2018 the GK's are bad, you've asked for it...

My PS4 Pro arrives today - looking forward to seeing the difference between playing on the OG version and the pro version. For anyone that made the switch, is it easy to transfer over all of your edited data etc. or do you need to do everything from scratch once again?

My PS4 Pro arrives today - looking forward to seeing the difference between playing on the OG version and the pro version. For anyone that made the switch, is it easy to transfer over all of your edited data etc. or do you need to do everything from scratch once again?
All imported images are stored in the game install data, not the option file or system data files. So you can't just use the previous save data - you have to apply the option file (importing all of the images) all over again...

People are complaining for years that GK's ar bad, and now you want crappier GK's. Imagine Konami reading this thread for feedback.

It won't happen, Konami won't change it because pes players (especially the online community) likes the goalkeepers this year. I personally hate these unrealistic overpowered goalies, last year's goalies was much better IMO (not the early patches but latest patch). This year the goalies makes saves that they shouldn't be making, and it's so frustrating for manual players. Just give us sliders so we can tweak the game as we like.

All imported images are stored in the game install data, not the option file or system data files. So you can't just use the previous save data - you have to apply the option file (importing all of the images) all over again...
Ah... Oh well, not the end of the world. Pretty sure I'm using your file anyway so I'll just spend an afternoon this weekend doing it all. Cheers for the answer!

It won't happen, Konami won't change it because pes players (especially the online community) likes the goalkeepers this year. I personally hate these unrealistic overpowered goalies, last year's goalies was much better IMO (not the early patches but latest patch). This year the goalies makes saves that they shouldn't be making, and it's so frustrating for manual players. Just give us sliders so we can tweak the game as we like.
The problem is, these overpowered goalkeepers are always in the opposing team.

The keepers saves shots that normally they "couldn't" save, but that's more because shoots seems very powerful and often on target: so to have a good balance, keepers needs to be very good, even more than in reality/because shots are too precise in general (especially long shoots), and i think Konami's are aware of that. It's not really the case with player versus keeper btw.
Their hands/fists are too strong, but shots are also strong and precise

What i think they need, is to make shoots with more deflections of the ball (i don't know if the word is good) related to many parameters like players positionning etc. even if PES 2017 is far better than the previous ones in those areas, PES 2018 needs to accentuates the errors in the "shooting technique", but not with a bad feeling of "total randomness" like in Fifa.

For keeping the balance, goalies less "strong" with their hand to push the ball away, only that. Not less good in general, not at all: only changing the "gk vs shots" system a bit.

Easy to say, but less to do.

Last edited:
Most goalkeepers and players devalues stats anyway. Stats are mostly for the show. So pick a cheap free keeper and he might perform the same or even better than world class keepers as long as you have that chemistry and that team spirit.

So the consensus is the keepers aren't right this year. I agree - shooting doesn't feel satisfying at all and that's because the keepers simply don't react realistically. I also agree the point about needing many more scuffed shots.

Shooting Technique doesn't involve that much stats, mostly the shooting frequency from the CPU.
PES 2012-13 doesn't have that attribute and shooting having the same "feeling" as older PES. That's not a stats problem, and for my expericience, stats matters. I'm having trouble in defense and taking goals when i switch for only one match in a whole competition a good to an average gk.

Shooting is pretty much the same since 2014 so they upgraded the goalies heavily for 2017. More animations and GK ID are really great dont get me wrong but fixing the broken shooting system shouldnt be done trough goalkeepers.

For me the goalkeepers are almost perfect. They save what they should save, they let in what they should let in. Sometimes they make a mistake, sometimes they do a howler. Just like in real football. The only thing, that should be reworked, are some of the unrealistic flying animations (plus overall have more animations), but they happen only once in a while.

I think I play more 2016 than 2017 for that reason and I like the overall sloppier first touch I experience in 2016.

Back
Top Bottom