PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Listened to the latest footy united podcast by our American friends.
Very good podcast. I'm glad that Adam Bhatti has reached out to these guys.
In this latest podcast they said lots things that i agree with.
Particulraly liked the stuff about the exagerated stats.
The "best PES" i've ever played was the demo for PES2015 (after that the game was a huge disappointment). Bhatti afterwards talked about this demo. Demo's are made by a separate team and this particular team decided to exagerate the stats. That turned out to be a very good idea IMO. Of course this wasn't a full game but merely a demo, so we will never know enoug habout it to discover weak points, but i massively liked that demo.
The footy united guys are now asking for exagerated stats and i agree with them.

IMO there should be more stats like in the old days.

IMO Brian and his friends should dedicate podcasts about the stats and also about the influence game modes have on the gameplay.
Since PES 2016 the game is almost brilliant in exhibition games, but it sucks in the Master League and BAL modes due to scripting and team spirit.

Maybe we should dedicate a separate thread to this podcast. It's clear that these guy are listening to some of us (not necessarily me and that is not a bad thing) and Konami are (more or less) listening to them...IMO this is important enough to start a separate thread...

To Brian and co: keep up the good work! Very good podcast, really enjoyed the last one (also less f*cks, thanks!).

The stats should be related to the gameplay though.

So say PES 2018 is a slower game and the ball is more loose, the dribble stats must be adjusted to accommodate that rather than a global stats upgrade.

Listened to the latest footy united podcast by our American friends.
Very good podcast. I'm glad that Adam Bhatti has reached out to these guys.
In this latest podcast they said lots things that i agree with.
Particulraly liked the stuff about the exagerated stats.
The "best PES" i've ever played was the demo for PES2015 (after that the game was a huge disappointment). Bhatti afterwards talked about this demo. Demo's are made by a separate team and this particular team decided to exagerate the stats. That turned out to be a very good idea IMO. Of course this wasn't a full game but merely a demo, so we will never know enoug habout it to discover weak points, but i massively liked that demo.
The footy united guys are now asking for exagerated stats and i agree with them.

IMO there should be more stats like in the old days.

IMO Brian and his friends should dedicate podcasts about the stats and also about the influence game modes have on the gameplay.
Since PES 2016 the game is almost brilliant in exhibition games, but it sucks in the Master League and BAL modes due to scripting and team spirit.

Maybe we should dedicate a separate thread to this podcast. It's clear that these guy are listening to some of us (not necessarily me and that is not a bad thing) and Konami are (more or less) listening to them...IMO this is important enough to start a separate thread...

To Brian and co: keep up the good work! Very good podcast, really enjoyed the last one (also less f*cks, thanks!).

Yep, love the Brian dude from the podcast. I agree a lot with him and I have a good feeling about PES 2018. If they fix the stats issue, tone down team spirit, remove scripting, improve passing stat(so that short passing feels different between players and not 100% accurate), improve tackling stat(so that not all defenders are nesta, maldini on their prime with the tacking and makes mistakes and give fouls) and remove any sort of scripting, it will be the perfect PES game IMO and I will pay $200 for that.

The tactics and formations are just too rigid. Misunderstanding of the DMF's role and the back four is a real bite to the proper look on the pitch. Not to mention the attack/defense transition is the same as I've been saying since Day 1. I made that comment in the podcast. Agreed that Footy-United guys are who Bhatti and co. need to listen to. 100%. I'm just going to keep tweeting my videos and see what happens, but man it is tiring trying to get player ratings actually matter, but then finding the gatekeeper of it all is really these terrible tactics and formation rigidness.

Proper look on the pitch ? There is no 'proper', it will depend on the style of play of AI/ user. DMF functions just fine, they stay back and are able to help the back four.

Disagreed on formations & tactics being too rigid. Been able to employ various formations and tactics and they represented just fine on the pitch, both user and AI. In fact, that is one of the reasons why Pes 2017 is the best in the series, the variety of team ID (formations and tactics). Player ratings matter just fine, they matter, just not overpowered (how it should be). The look on the pitch will depend on user and AI playstyle. Ultimately, the user is able to switch players to be in better position, it isnt a simulation (unless you play it like that), the user can control the players on the pitch.

I hope the japenese developers continue to do their own vision with only major concerns (like last years goalkeepers and refs). Just keep adding those amazing animations is what Im hoping for.

Nearly all the complaints I see on here are user problems not the game.

Pes 2017 is sublime masterpiece, in which there is so much to learn.

Last edited:
Pes 2017 is sublime masterpiece, in which there is so much to learn.
That's the second time you've used that exact phrase - in-fact I don't think I've ever seen a post of yours in here that isn't dismissing other people's valid criticism as "user error" and/or praising PES to the hilt!

Pes 2017 is a sublime masterpiece. Enjoy !!
Very pleased with PES 2017.
Sorry to hear some of you not enjoying PES 2016. Im in love.
(In PES 2017) I'm getting all types of goals, dipping shots by AI, long range screamers.
(In PES 2016) Im getting long-range screamers from the cpu, a good variation of goals from cpu.
(In PES 2017) Im getting penalties for and against in the box, and they always solid penalties.
My fav futebol dev is konami by a country mile.

Where did you get your glasses tinted, and can I borrow them please?! :D

In seriousness - I've played two seasons of my personal ML and two seasons with a friend, as well as many more matches against the AI in cup games at friends' houses, and I've seen two penalties in all that time. Two penalties against the AI in approximately 175-200 matches - so it's a valid criticism, as are the others.

It may well be the way I play. That doesn't make it okay!

Last edited:
hi everyone. i need to help a friend with installing an option file for his xbox360 version of PES 2017. which would you recommend right now. also how the online compatibility ?

thanks in advance

Can we start a thread about the Footy United podcast?
I asked that in my last post, but never got an answer...
I think there won't be any problems with it, at least the discussion about the points they make in the podcast wouldn't get lost like it does here. Gerd, you can do it, include your summary and some basic ideas you have in the opening post, it would help start the discussion. :)

Someone could give the guys a shout about this thread so they could skim through it every now and again - if they like some of the ideas, they can talk about them on the podcast, meaning bigger exposure.

Maybe one day, even one of us, who is a native English speaker or comfortable enough with their English speaking skills, could be invited as a guest in the podcast, like Matt10 was. I heard they want to get Chris Davies on it - I'm all for it! :)

That's the second time you've used that exact phrase - in-fact I don't think I've ever seen a post of yours in here that isn't dismissing other people's valid criticism as "user error" and/or praising PES to the hilt!

Where did you get your glasses tinted, and can I borrow them please?! :D

In seriousness - I've played two seasons of my personal ML and two seasons with a friend, as well as many more matches against the AI in cup games at friends' houses, and I've seen two penalties in all that time. Two penalties against the AI in approximately 175-200 matches - so it's a valid criticism, as are the others.

It may well be the way I play. That doesn't make it okay!

You even admit it is the way you play, and you want to dismiss that. But instead of talking about how to get better they rather ask for the game to become easier (ie, easy penaltys). The criticisms I see here, can be remedied by being a better player/ learning how to play better on the pitch. And no, the penalties are spot on 99% of the time, they dont like to give soft penalties and just like in real life they miss the odd one and give the odd soft one. I really like how the game does not pander to 'cheap' users looking for penalties, Pes 2017 wont reward that. Awesome in my book.

If you put the time in, the game is rewarding and still keeps interesting and non-repetitive. A very rare thing in a futebol game.

Pes 2017 is a much more complicated game than it appears, it is a true masterpiece, easy to play difficult to master. Im chuffed, as whatever happens, I will always have Pes 2017.

My 2 cents, I just register my opinion for Konami to hear if they come here. Enjoy !

Last edited:
Yep, love the Brian dude from the podcast. I agree a lot with him and I have a good feeling about PES 2018. If they fix the stats issue, tone down team spirit, remove scripting, improve passing stat(so that short passing feels different between players and not 100% accurate), improve tackling stat(so that not all defenders are nesta, maldini on their prime with the tacking and makes mistakes and give fouls) and remove any sort of scripting, it will be the perfect PES game IMO and I will pay $200 for that.
I agree with a lot you wrote, but I am surprised about the part in red.
According to your profile you are a programmer. Then you should know that scripting is an essential part of artificial intelligence and therefore needed in the game... You can argue that the AI in PES is not good enough, but AI ( and thus scripting ) is needed.

You even admit it is the way you play, and you want to dismiss that.
So it's an entire thread's worth of posters' fault that the AI doesn't mistime a tackle?! And more to the point, it's because we don't play properly?*

But instead of talking about how to get better they rather ask for the game to become easier (ie, easy penaltys).
As I said (and I've posted about it in the ML thread) - I'm in the top four with Hull in my second season, on Superstar. Nobody is saying "I wish the game would give me penalties so that it was easier". It's a case of "I wish the game replicated something that happens in real life", that's all.

*To come back to the original point - don't you think that, if I don't get any penalties, and a lot of people have noticed the same thing, it's a problem worth fixing for a lot of people?

You said in a previous post that there's no "right or wrong" way to play the game, but what you're saying here is "well I get penalties so it's something you're doing". I'm glad you see them, but it doesn't fix it for us... And in my case, winning most games, why should I play differently?

The game is excellent - I've not played a football game so much in years. But there's nothing wrong with fair critique!

the penalties are spot on 99% of the time, they dont like to give soft penalties and just like in real life they miss the odd one and give the odd soft one. I really like how the game does not pander to 'cheap' users looking for penalties, Pes 2017 wont reward that. Awesome in my book.

Spot on 99%? I'm sorry but that's just BS, the only time the refs gives away a spot on penalty is when the AI makes a late tackle which is like 1 in 100 times. Most of the penalties I get are harsh decisions by the referees which isn't even a foul in the first place. Sometimes you get knocked out of the ball when you're about to take a shot and the refs gives nothing and in another time the AI makes a clean tackle and out of nowhere you get a penalty, that's not spot on mate. I love this game, but you just sound like a fanboy and it's hard to take your opinion seriously.

So it's an entire thread's worth of posters' fault that the AI doesn't mistime a tackle?! And more to the point, it's because we don't play properly?*

As I said (and I've posted about it in the ML thread) - I'm in the top four with Hull in my second season, on Superstar. Nobody is saying "I wish the game would give me penalties so that it was easier". It's a case of "I wish the game replicated something that happens in real life", that's all.

*To come back to the original point - don't you think that, if I don't get any penalties, and a lot of people have noticed the same thing, it's a problem worth fixing for a lot of people?

You said in a previous post that there's no "right or wrong" way to play the game, but what you're saying here is "well I get penalties so it's something you're doing". I'm glad you see them, but it doesn't fix it for us... And in my case, winning most games, why should I play differently?

The game is excellent - I've not played a football game so much in years. But there's nothing wrong with fair critique!

Edmundo in my opinion must be deluded.

I do change the way i play and i have seen more stone wall penalties not given on PES than i have ever seen in football itself.

I will upload my video of my most recent and glaring one that i know would of been a penalty in any other game and real life. I ran into the box, NUTMEGGED the defender, the ball did NOT touch the player in anyway, i got shoulder blocked and the animation where the player falls back holding his face that normally says its a foul but NO!! nothing. which is bull!

I agree with a lot you wrote, but I am surprised about the part in red.
According to your profile you are a programmer. Then you should know that scripting is an essential part of artificial intelligence and therefore needed in the game... You can argue that the AI in PES is not good enough, but AI ( and thus scripting ) is needed.

Well I think more of scripted events. I work on software technologies and game AI and scripted(pre-determined) AI based on the simple FSM(Finite State Machine) is an easy way to go doing AI and it makes the game really unfair and predictable. Both FIFA and PES still have a lot of these scripted events that get activated at certain times like when you are in a 5 win streak or when the quality level between the two team is less than a number, increase the difficulty by 1. You can easily check that FIFA does something like that and I am 90% sure PES does the same thing.

I need to step away from PES 2017 for a second. Trying to get teams to play realistically, and challenging, is doing my head in.

Once I can stop one-time-passing all over the pitch, then I will know there is a challenge. In its current form...it's not possible. Attack...retreat...defend...Attack...REPEAT. It's boring me to death.

I've exhausted most options, now to dive a bit more into global editing of players (PC) and determine what ratings actually matter.

Player Roles (DMF in fluid formations especially, make sure they are only DMF in Out of Possession) matter a huge deal. Tactics matter way too much, sorry it's true, as a former player myself - I knew my assignment, and the general intent - but PES 17 players operate as if they are going to be beaten with a stick if they don't listen to their manager.

Why is it that for a series that does so well in making the ball feel independent, does such a poor job at placing the fundamentals of the individuals who have to get control of the ball? These fundamentals are as common as having a kick about with your friends...

Instead, we have, by priority:

1. Preset Tactics (A/D levels)
2. Advanced Tactics
3. Formations
4. Player Roles
5. The ball (!)
6. The player styles
7. The player abilities
8. Player physicality (weight/height/etc)
9. Football fundamentals...i.e "see the ball, get the ball"

Those reasons above is why you can boss Manchester City with Melbourne Victory.

It's a sad state, for me, when my beloved PES brings no challenge. I've spent countless hours on a patch combo with reaper, and now I feel completely like time is wasted, and the gorgeous pitches we managed to snag, are going to be filled with footprints of a DMF who is caught in two minds, because there is noone paying attention to the fundamentals of the beautiful game.

Am I alone here? What has everyone else been doing to really enjoy this game, and not feel like you have to take pity on the CPU?

I need to step away from PES 2017 for a second. Trying to get teams to play realistically, and challenging, is doing my head in.

Once I can stop one-time-passing all over the pitch, then I will know there is a challenge. In its current form...it's not possible. Attack...retreat...defend...Attack...REPEAT. It's boring me to death.

I've exhausted most options, now to dive a bit more into global editing of players (PC) and determine what ratings actually matter.

Player Roles (DMF in fluid formations especially, make sure they are only DMF in Out of Possession) matter a huge deal. Tactics matter way too much, sorry it's true, as a former player myself - I knew my assignment, and the general intent - but PES 17 players operate as if they are going to be beaten with a stick if they don't listen to their manager.

Why is it that for a series that does so well in making the ball feel independent, does such a poor job at placing the fundamentals of the individuals who have to get control of the ball? These fundamentals are as common as having a kick about with your friends...

Instead, we have, by priority:

1. Preset Tactics (A/D levels)
2. Advanced Tactics
3. Formations
4. Player Roles
5. The ball (!)
6. The player styles
7. The player abilities
8. Player physicality (weight/height/etc)
9. Football fundamentals...i.e "see the ball, get the ball"

Those reasons above is why you can boss Manchester City with Melbourne Victory.

It's a sad state, for me, when my beloved PES brings no challenge. I've spent countless hours on a patch combo with reaper, and now I feel completely like time is wasted, and the gorgeous pitches we managed to snag, are going to be filled with footprints of a DMF who is caught in two minds, because there is noone paying attention to the fundamentals of the beautiful game.

Am I alone here? What has everyone else been doing to really enjoy this game, and not feel like you have to take pity on the CPU?

I listened to the podcast points that were made in between the larking around like big kids. Are people looking for personal preference of how they would like the game to be played or a solution to the games problems? . .it's very hard to find a version that fits all. The point of exaggerated stats for exceptional players to stand out is fine but we could end up with an Adriano like situation where the special players become unstoppable and exploited online which then leads to the defenders are rubbish argument .. .just give the ball to Robben and he waltzes past 4 defenders each time and scores or a striker with great heading ability could end up in a crossing game which is already happening online I believe.

The same can be said with the cone passing thingy they were on about. Would that not lead us back to the long ball over the top being abused by using players with great passing stats? I know Matt that you enjoy a controlled passing game with a defence splitting pass and low scorelines but would you want to play that way for every game? I enjoy a lot of matches like that and I know I'm guilty of heading for goal too quickly like an excited puppy let off of his leash, but you have to have variation in play and in matches . . .some of these end to end matches can be fantastic and just what you need sometimes, but then again a methodical tactical game in an important match can be equally as good . . .Pes has always thrown up a scripted catalogue of matches and it hasn't changed . ..you could play the same exhibition match 6 times and get 6 different versions of the game using the same tactics and even after tweaking the cpu tactics. . .the result is already written in stone for each match. The one thing that pisses me off about Ml in particular is the pre-determined scripting, it's pot luck which version that you get and that seems to determine the whole ML for your career. Then we have the 5 defeats and then your luck changes . .5 wins and your luck changes for the worse. ..terrible stuff. I played a few exhibition matches before my hiatus using Kilays tactics with your tweaks as well and the games have played very well. .I'll be using them when I start a new Ml soon.

I haven't played for 5 weeks . .I needed a break . .keep playing any game and it will get stale.. .if everything that was discussed in the podcast was implemented would that be the answer? Of course not .. there would be new problems arising from those changes. I do think that when Pes 2017 plays well it can be brilliant and I still get that jump off the chair when I score a great goal feeling. . .well, great in my eyes. The lack of penalties is nonsense and I find free kicks impossible to score on manual Superstar . ..the ball physics could be improved and we need a lot more variation in shooting and types of attack from the Cpu. Overall it's still very playable. .some of the tactics actually work well . .I expect improvements to gameplay and modes for Pes 2018. I certainly wouldn't like the reponsibility of programming it . ..nightmare.

I never play online and i wonder if the gameplay didn't went downhill also because the game had to be played online.
If i remember well, then the games everybody longs for (PES5 and 6) were not about online (perhaps PES6 was).

Perhaps PES should be a two disk game. Separate disks for offline and online gaming???

I never play online and i wonder if the gameplay didn't went downhill also because the game had to be played online.
If i remember well, then the games everybody longs for (PES5 and 6) were not about online (perhaps PES6 was).

Perhaps PES should be a two disk game. Separate disks for offline and online gaming???

I don't play online either and yes a lot of the gameplay problems are through catering for some online players who love end to end football . .they're not going to turn their back on those players who generate huge profits . .and I agree with you Gerd two disks or two modes.

^ in my opinion this is why we need sliders in next years edition so you can some what tailor make the single player game to satisfy your needs. I know people disagree with sliders but they are already in the game in the most basic form in terms of pass support and shot type

I'm not against sliders.
One of the biggest flaws of PES is that the game is not customizable enough (very big flaw in ML, why not give the choice with or without Team Spirit, with high, moderate, low or no transfer activity to the CPU teams and there are countless other possibilities).

I listened to the podcast points that were made in between the larking around like big kids. Are people looking for personal preference of how they would like the game to be played or a solution to the games problems? . .it's very hard to find a version that fits all. The point of exaggerated stats for exceptional players to stand out is fine but we could end up with an Adriano like situation where the special players become unstoppable and exploited online which then leads to the defenders are rubbish argument .. .just give the ball to Robben and he waltzes past 4 defenders each time and scores or a striker with great heading ability could end up in a crossing game which is already happening online I believe.

The same can be said with the cone passing thingy they were on about. Would that not lead us back to the long ball over the top being abused by using players with great passing stats? I know Matt that you enjoy a controlled passing game with a defence splitting pass and low scorelines but would you want to play that way for every game? I enjoy a lot of matches like that and I know I'm guilty of heading for goal too quickly like an excited puppy let off of his leash, but you have to have variation in play and in matches . . .some of these end to end matches can be fantastic and just what you need sometimes, but then again a methodical tactical game in an important match can be equally as good . . .Pes has always thrown up a scripted catalogue of matches and it hasn't changed . ..you could play the same exhibition match 6 times and get 6 different versions of the game using the same tactics and even after tweaking the cpu tactics. . .the result is already written in stone for each match. The one thing that pisses me off about Ml in particular is the pre-determined scripting, it's pot luck which version that you get and that seems to determine the whole ML for your career. Then we have the 5 defeats and then your luck changes . .5 wins and your luck changes for the worse. ..terrible stuff. I played a few exhibition matches before my hiatus using Kilays tactics with your tweaks as well and the games have played very well. .I'll be using them when I start a new Ml soon.

I haven't played for 5 weeks . .I needed a break . .keep playing any game and it will get stale.. .if everything that was discussed in the podcast was implemented would that be the answer? Of course not .. there would be new problems arising from those changes. I do think that when Pes 2017 plays well it can be brilliant and I still get that jump off the chair when I score a great goal feeling. . .well, great in my eyes. The lack of penalties is nonsense and I find free kicks impossible to score on manual Superstar . ..the ball physics could be improved and we need a lot more variation in shooting and types of attack from the Cpu. Overall it's still very playable. .some of the tactics actually work well . .I expect improvements to gameplay and modes for Pes 2018. I certainly wouldn't like the reponsibility of programming it . ..nightmare.

Good post, Deco.

You are right, there are moments in which PES 17 does indeed work, but not all the time. There is a significant amount of work that has to be done to make it functional. It could be seen a mile away when the demo was released.

I think programmers need to start thinking like footballers, or ask those of us who have had football in our lives and understand what should be seen on the pitch. This is why I never agreed with the guys who say you have to play PES to really feel it, sorry, that's a very easy way to get engrossed into the experience and lets go of the realism.

With that said, there is a very fine balance that devs/programmers have to locate. Too sim, and it's 0-0 every match, too arcade-like, it's 4-4, 4-3, etc - with a goal, or chance, happening on every trip. With PES 17, the problem isn't the goals, it's the chances. It takes less than 30 seconds to go from the defensive third to the opposition's defensive third. In its current state, there is no resistance. The reason creative playmakers don't stand out is because everyone on the team plays like a creative playmaker. It's the moments in which there is resistance that a creative playmaker finds a gap. Instead, anybody on the team can find that gap.

Rather than be innovative, I would ask they focus on the fundamentals of the game, versus trying to appeal to a hardcore market of tactics. If the base, starting with the players and the ball, is broken, then you can't bandaid it up with the use of tactics, advanced tactics and other binding features.

Lastly, here's a product of my attempts on global editing. Player abilities only. They are either at 40 (lowest) or 99 (highest). There are some impactful abilities, but some of them that are at their lowest are a bit scary for how little impact they make. By all accounts, I shouldn't be able to pass the ball like that.

Good post, Deco.

You are right, there are moments in which PES 17 does indeed work, but not all the time. There is a significant amount of work that has to be done to make it functional. It could be seen a mile away when the demo was released.

I think programmers need to start thinking like footballers, or ask those of us who have had football in our lives and understand what should be seen on the pitch. This is why I never agreed with the guys who say you have to play PES to really feel it, sorry, that's a very easy way to get engrossed into the experience and lets go of the realism.

With that said, there is a very fine balance that devs/programmers have to locate. Too sim, and it's 0-0 every match, too arcade-like, it's 4-4, 4-3, etc - with a goal, or chance, happening on every trip. With PES 17, the problem isn't the goals, it's the chances. It takes less than 30 seconds to go from the defensive third to the opposition's defensive third. In its current state, there is no resistance. The reason creative playmakers don't stand out is because everyone on the team plays like a creative playmaker. It's the moments in which there is resistance that a creative playmaker finds a gap. Instead, anybody on the team can find that gap.

Rather than be innovative, I would ask they focus on the fundamentals of the game, versus trying to appeal to a hardcore market of tactics. If the base, starting with the players and the ball, is broken, then you can't bandaid it up with the use of tactics, advanced tactics and other binding features.

Lastly, here's a product of my attempts on global editing. Player abilities only. They are either at 40 (lowest) or 99 (highest). There are some impactful abilities, but some of them that are at their lowest are a bit scary for how little impact they make. By all accounts, I shouldn't be able to pass the ball like that.

Good points Matt . ... yourself and the other lads on the podcast would know a lot more about the way the game works than I ever would .. . That guy Brians voice. . .it always reminds me of the mad emperor Caligula in the movie "The Robe" could be the sound of the podcast . .weird.

I don't mind players with exaggerated stats just as long as Konami get the defensive side spot on, if for example robben has the ball, then the AI should pressure or tackle him hard and also man mark him, as for the great passers, AI should be switched on by narrowing the channels or playing a compact defence to force him to pass wide, there are ways around it, but as deco said if it's not done right than you will be dribbling all the way to goal and passing magic balls through defence regardless if your aim is a bit off then the game is no good for me.

Charles here from Footy United. Thanks for listening to the podcast guys. Evo-web has always been my favorite forum. Great to see the discussions still happening here. Thanks for the thread too. Anyone is always welcome to come on the podcast, just send me a message.

E-mail from playstation to tell me that the game in which I put the most hours into was Pes 2014.. . .really? That's news to me . ..I would have said Pes 2017.

Back
Top Bottom