Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

It's ridiculous. We should have gone for him instead of Carroll.

Yeah it is stagerring...how Villa spent 24 million on Darren Bent...

but we spent 35million on Andy Carroll...who was injured at that
time...so what was the hurry ....could'nt we have waited till
summer !?!

And Newcastle spent ZERO for Demba Ba....!!!

At the moment Demba Ba would have been the best fit for us....

I would not mind if we got Bent for Carroll as a straight swap....

But then again I would prefer Higuain or Huntelaar

Carroll doesn't seem all that strong though. Maybe I'm just not seeing it I guess.

When I watch Downing/Carroll together it just never works, to me Downing doesn't trust Carroll enough to send crosses in so he cuts inside to shoot from outside the box or whips in low crosses hoping someone else manages to find it.

Carroll doesn't seem all that strong though. Maybe I'm just not seeing it I guess.

When I watch Downing/Carroll together it just never works, to me Downing doesn't trust Carroll enough to send crosses in so he cuts inside to shoot from outside the box or whips in low crosses hoping someone else manages to find it.

That's because Carroll's first touch is always poor, you'll either have to cross the ball straight to his head or shoot from outside the box, as you don't expect Carroll to make the run if the ball is not so accurate. I wish we had the old Torres right now, he'd be perfect in combination with Downing.

Carroll was better this few matches, he needs wingers who can cross the ball, Downing is the one you should discous, he´s been awfull and realy disapointing... If we manage to feed Carroll with long balls and crosses, he will score, despite his poor first touch or lack of movement.. i already seen he´s doing better with Stevie on pitch..

actually i´m happy Suarez got the ban, just becouse we can see what Carroll can do..

i personally don´t belive we will sell him or try to loan him..

another name in the game, Bafetimbi Gomis - Olympique Lyonnais

Yeah it is stagerring...how Villa spent 24 million on Darren Bent...

but we spent 35million on Andy Carroll...who was injured at that
time...so what was the hurry ....could'nt we have waited till
summer !?!

It was probably down to FSG/Commoli's strategy to invest in youth. Bent is 27? so will only diminish in value. But Henry has already stated that their initial strategy won't always work and they need to look better at the overal value.

@ PLF, it wasn't me, who is this tik3 imposter? I'm tik5! ;) But I did agree with the person that posted that I'm not sure about Bent either. Not down to movement as they stated but overal play with regards to build up and flexibility. But if he can equal and hopefully improve his scoring ratio he will be a great signing for the moment. In games against for example City, I think you need just that bit extra to be able to score on your own, like Suarez can (with his 6th attempt). But atm for Liverpool the focus will be to just make sure they convert the chances they create against everyone else as that should be enough to seal top3/4 positions and then you can focus on that next level.

Last edited:

Yakubu is a very good striker, this is typical for some big club fans, players of lower teams can never be good. Be assured that Yakubu is much, much better than Carroll.

Bent is a good player. Don't forget that Bent and Henderson have played together for Sunderland and Henderson has a very good pass (anybody seen the fantastic Henderson pass to Downing against City, that should have been a goal...).

Yakubu's a former blue so no way he's coming to Anfield.

Just wait and see of the Carroll's experiment :) It'll be a lot of Donkey .. oh i meant fun, hopefully. A run of games can only help his confidence and then we see what's he's really worth.

It was probably down to FSG/Commoli's strategy to invest in youth.

hes strategy was bad and stupid so he need to run away and pay for his wrongs !

hes strategy was bad and stupid so he need to run away and pay for his wrongs !

Not really, he had a huge basis in the squads that Arsenal and Spurs developed. Obviously Carroll is looking like a big mistake atm, but there was more to it than simply paying 35mil for a young striker. He was never rated more than 20mil anyway, and he has shown that if the players around start to actually play to his strengths that he can be usefull. It's not looking like he will be good enough to be 1st choice any time soon, but he is dangerous later in the game when the team is bombarding the opposition. He could easily have had 3 or 4 goals in his recent appearances but was stopped by some excellent goalkeeping and balls being cleared off the line.

Looking at the signings it looks like a decent balance has been found;
Carroll = -
Adam = + (Good squad/1st team player)
Henderson = + (he is looking very accomplished atm and is developing fast. Think he will have a very good future)
Enrique = +
Downing = - (Just doesn't seem to be consistant and is making poor decisions atm, but you would expect him to settle at some point)
Suarez = + (Who signed him? Commoli?)

Did the club sign anyone else? So 4 good, 2 poor. That's a pretty good rate tbh.

If we get Gomis it would be a great piece of business, I think he's slightly better than Bent.
I also heard we are being linked with Spartak Moscow striker Williton, I have watched him play and I can say he's just amazing. He's a Suarez-like player who can score goals, and I think we should break the bank to sign him and screw Darren Bent.

Not really, he had a huge basis in the squads that Arsenal and Spurs developed. Obviously Carroll is looking like a big mistake atm, but there was more to it than simply paying 35mil for a young striker. He was never rated more than 20mil anyway, and he has shown that if the players around start to actually play to his strengths that he can be usefull. It's not looking like he will be good enough to be 1st choice any time soon, but he is dangerous later in the game when the team is bombarding the opposition. He could easily have had 3 or 4 goals in his recent appearances but was stopped by some excellent goalkeeping and balls being cleared off the line.

Looking at the signings it looks like a decent balance has been found;
Carroll = -
Adam = + (Good squad/1st team player)
Henderson = + (he is looking very accomplished atm and is developing fast. Think he will have a very good future)
Enrique = +
Downing = - (Just doesn't seem to be consistant and is making poor decisions atm, but you would expect him to settle at some point)
Suarez = + (Who signed him? Commoli?)

Did the club sign anyone else? So 4 good, 2 poor. That's a pretty good rate tbh.

my opinion is

Carroll = -
Adam = - (not a good player for Liverpool simply dont have capacity for be on our team if we want to be in top 4 but good if we want to be in middle of tabel)
Henderson = + , - (I cant really say hes good atm , looks that he have much fear and almost never give any ball where we are in posision to score , hes passes are all behind simple he dont have ass to go more in front maybe he'll grove and take this force so i'll say good and bad)
Enrique = + (good player much energy dont know why sometimes he look stupid when its not time to shot he try and we all saw he dont have any good shot, also dont have much vision when hes forward , but not bad player at all and in defence is really good)
Suarez = + (hmmm no idea he sing him ,dont really know whats happen on this transfer but not bad one at all)

but money we spend on Carroll and Downing arent a bi or better said are a LOT special to spend 40 milion for one player that we just saw for 10-20 matchs on premier league , its not that we buy one STAR with that money and we FAIL so its diferent this

im just curious if there is any stats how many Carroll t-shirt Liverpool sold untill now ?

Yakubu is a very good striker, this is typical for some big club fans, players of lower teams can never be good. Be assured that Yakubu is much, much better than Carroll.

Bent is a good player. Don't forget that Bent and Henderson have played together for Sunderland and Henderson has a very good pass (anybody seen the fantastic Henderson pass to Downing against City, that should have been a goal...).

yakubu is a decent striker now,back in the day he was good.anyone is better than carroll.its not the big club mentality that players of lower clubs cant be better(ian rush).but to wear the liverpool shirt,youd better be special cos our club is.WE ARE LIVERPOOL FC.something youll never understand.trust me on that......

ps:just out of curiosity gerd,how would you rate kevin phillips?do you think he would have flourished in a club like liverpool?

The thing is if you factor the cost of Adam's transfer £7m then it's not that bad as for a squad player he's done ok and you could say he's on par in terms of being an ok signing.

Any idea's who's starting for you tonight ? I'd like to see Sterling get some game time as he was held in very high regard when he was at QPR a few years ago.

I'd go with Bellamy-Carroll upfront, and Maxi should start too. We should give Adam a rest cos' he looks a bit tired lately. The whole back 4 should be rested too.

Adam is great player for what we bought him, not a starter in CL team, but we are not a CL team atm. anyway.. he´s ok.

He´s definetly better with Lucas, but since Lucas is injured, he sometimes looks lost..

Henderson does this often (Man City comes to my mind).
It's too soon to judge Adam, Henderson and Downing...they are with Liverpool since august...
One can only judge players after two full seasons, that is unless they show very obvious shortcmmings (Carroll). Adam, Henderson and Downing did not show obvious shortcomings.

I hope Carroll will do what Lucas did a few seasons ago. Remember that everyone hated Lucas back then, he sucked really just like Carroll sucks now and Lucas screwed us in many occasions but Rafa still trusted him and he gained the confidence he was lacking so bad..
Should Carroll be treated like this, I strongly believe we'll get the best of him in a short period of time.

Bent is much better than Gomis. I can assure you of that. I watched the latter make his debut for St. Etienne (and a good debut it was, I think he scored a goal with a left-footed volley if I recall correctly) and he's nothing special. Quite mediocre but blessed with good physique. An older Lukaku you could say and unlike him, not a lot of room for further improvement I think as he's not so young anymore. His attitude isn't the best either.

Gomis would be a bad buy in my opinion for Liverpool. He's a Kenwyne Jones type of player and with Liverpool already having a tall strong man in Carroll, they don't need another (even if Gomis is more athletic and faster but he's got a very mediocre footballing brain and touch) and is nowhere near as lethal in front of goal as Bent is not to mention he has to adapt to new league/culture/language where as Darren is as proven as it gets in this league and has been doing the business for years.

And I agree about Carroll. If fans can continue to be patient with him and give him the support he needs (He's very much a confidence player) and thankfully this is one of the attributes I've come to appreciate generally from most Liverpool fans over the years as they seem to be good at doing this, instead of getting on his back, he can turn out better than Lucas did for Liverpool in my opinion. Quite a bit better. He CAN be a very good striker. Key thing is patience and supporting him (empowering him) and time which of course understandably however aren't the two things most people have for a signing THAT expensive.

Last edited:

http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/01/all-spanish-speakers-are-racist/

Interesting article, although I'm sure there will be enough posts to argue against it. But he tends to be reasonably balanced in general.

Meh, reads like LFC propoganda to me. He's also not sure what argument to make, so makes them all. Is the Suarez defense:

a. He didn't say anything (original defense, as per KK in aftermath)
b. He said something that when used in Uruguay in friendly situations is inoffensive (the second defense)
c. He said something that is probably offensive, but he only admitted to saying it once, so it's not fair he's charged for 7 times
d. The FA are corrupt/ stupid/ lazy/ not recognised so we should ignore them anyway

It's old news. Hardcore LFC fans will clearly do anything to defend Suarez, that's fine I guess. I just wish it had been Poulsen.

Adam is OK for his price....but he is mid-table material.

Henderson is pricy, but he has potential and is still young.

Carroll is a waste for that price.... he's not more than 20m...
and he requires much better service.....

Talking about service...
Downing has been a waste for that price....especially given
that he's an England international.
He lacks the confidence to succeed at clubs above mid-table...

Well written piece tik, this man is a cultured man and can argue very well. The problem is that i don't buy his (very good) argumentation. It sounds like one of these books by Erik Von Däniken (Were the gods cosmonauts?") or like the reasoning of some brilliant negationists who don't believe in the "end solution" (of course we are talking about very less serious facts).

I'm pretty sure Suarez isn't a racist, he is just plain daft.
I still think what he did is only a minor offense and i still think that morally Evra is perhaps more wrong than Suarez (because for Evra this is not about racism, and he doesn't care about racism as he said racist things himself).

However i think Suarez should get a heavier sanction than 8 games, because he is the star player of one of England's massive clubs and thus a role model. People that are role models should always behave impeccably (don't know if that is written crrect), just like politicians... is that fair? Maybe not, but Suarez has got enormous high wages not only because he is a good football player but because he has the status of a hero and thus is a huge role model...being a role model comes with the trade and status Suarez has achieved.

Besides that i just heard Liverpool fan and South American Fernando Duarte: he doesn't buy the cultural differences...he also thinks that Suarez is not a racist but that Suarez should get sanctioned.

Just like Fernando Duarte i think that this sanction (and a heavier) is necessary because football can't go back to the days were bannanas were thrown at black players and were every ball touch by a black player was accompanied by monkey noises...football can not go back to these days, so the FA acted right (but personally i would have given Evra exactly the same sanction as Suarez, although i must admit that the FA cannot defend that sort of sanction rationally).

I also think (like Matthews and i hope lots of other Liverpool fans) that Liverpool should stop defending Suarez and move on...maybe let Suarez do some community work for young black people or something similar...a sort of symbolic gesture. Such a gesture would be important re. Suarez status and Liverpool's reputation.

PS: an afterthought i wonder how much heavier Terry's sanction will be...because that would be the logical decision.

Last edited:

We're half way through the season bro. Stop hating and don't make rash conclusions either such as stating Downing can't cut it at above mid-table club or the pressure is too much for him etc. as if it's a FACT. You may or may not be right. Time will tell. :)

So meanwhile, I say we be patient and see what he and others like Carroll who will now get an extended run in the team can do. I think both will pleasantly surprise a few from here till the end of the season. Not massively impress but at least pleasantly surprise and show that they DO have what it takes. That's my prediction.

Wtf just happen the guy was mad coz gans sing suarez song or happen anything more big that u dont saw ???

Looking at his reaction (and his clear desire to kill one of the Liverpool fans) I'd wager it wasn't the Suarez song that got him angry.

Perhaps it's just a cultural misunderstanding, and using the words the fan did in Liverpool would be okay. Oh wait, they're in Liverpool. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom