Liverpool Thread

csaunders said:
yeah benitez is trying to turn the pool into a Spanish side, aint gonna work..... I think i would rather be in Uniteds position with too much talent, then liverpools with not enough.....

he does'nt have some hidden agenda to convert Liverpool to a Spanish
team. He clearly stated in an interview today that English talent
is too expensive, and with Liverpool's budget he preferred to spend
lower transfer fees on players he already knew were good while
he was in Spain.
He goes on to say that he wanted to sign Woodgate, but was priced
out by Real madrid.
Owen decided to leave Liverpool, Benitez did not throw him out.
Murphy's departure is'nt something to cry about, he was an inconsistent
player at L'pool and he was demanding 1st team football, which Benitez
could not promise him.
I don't see anybody complaining about Arsenal and Chelsea's lack of English talent.
Give Rafa some time, he deserves atleast 1 season to get us back into
the top 3.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
first thing he did was break up the english contingent, which is just daft.

Also someone mustnt have told him about GH's reign at Anfailed, scousers have spent the best part of 5/6 years bemoaning Houlliers policy of bringing in French players and ignoring the very good youngsters in The Academy only for Benitez to (appear) to do the same....

Oh well its been 14 years another 10 wont make any difference...

:mrgreen:
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but look at my reply to csaunders above. Benitez has not come to Anfield to make it a Spanish club. He's just signing the players he knows who are good value for the money he's spending.
About GH, not many people were moaning when Liverpool were successful in 2001 and 2002.
Most of the moaning was about the defensive negative football from GH
and his insistence on players like Heskey, Biscan, Traore, Smicer, Cheyrou, Diao, Diouf. (There're only 2 frenchmen in there).

And, FYI, Benitez is actually blooding new talent from the Academy with players like Warnock. Steve Heighway who works with the Academy
has stated that Benitez is very encouraging to the Academy unlike
Houllier who never did so.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
AgentSmithMatrix said:
Just take a look at what Benitez achieved at Valencia. He has excellent credentials coming into this job. It would take a miracle (or huge sums of money) to completely transform Liverpool into a championship winning team in a season. Time is on his side though and I'm sure he'll succeed.

no doubting what he did at Valencia, but he's not there anymore :roll:

time on his side?? isnt this liverpools 4th or 5th manager in 10 years, doesnt seem like patience is a scouse virtue........

Seriously, where do you get your information from ?
These are the managers we have add for the last 20 years:
Kenny Dalglish: 1985-1991 (6 Yrs)
Graeme Souness: 1991-1994 (3 Yrs)
Roy Evans: 1994-1998 (4 Yrs)
Gerard Houllier: 1998-2004 (6 Yrs)
Rafa Benitez: 2004- ????

So if you go back 10 years, that's 2 managers, with the 3rd one having
just started.
That's not a sign of impatience.

mathewsss said:

just started.

lol do you expect me to be up on kopshite history :roll:

So since 1991 then, 4 managers (benitez being the 4th) :roll: :roll:

any feck all that........14years :mrgreen:

bradley1886 said:
mathewsss said:
I don't see anybody complaining about Arsenal and Chelsea's lack of English talent.

im not being funny but chelsea and arsenal have some of the best players in the world
[/quote]

which is exactly my point. The success at Arsenal have made people
totally ignore their lack of English players.
Why are people complaining about Liverpool's lack of English talent, when Benitez's team has only played 3 premiership matches, out of which his best 2 signings (Alonso and Garcia) have played only ONE match!!

Henry and Pires took atleast 1 season to light up the Prem.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
mathewsss said:

just started.

lol do you expect me to be up on kopshite history :roll:

So since 1991 then, 4 managers (benitez being the 4th) :roll: :roll:

any feck all that........14years :mrgreen:

Your point was 4-5 managers in the last 10 years, which was wrong.
If we were impatient, then we would be having a new manager every
2 years, which we don't.

mathewsss said:
Your point was 4-5 managers in the last 10 years, which was wrong.
If we were impatient, then we would be having a new manager every
2 years, which we don't.

c'mon now dont be silly, since 91 your on ya 4th manager, so its 13 years not 10, FFS :roll:

we've got a few. ashley, sol.....

david bentley, justin hoyte, ryan smith. :mrgreen:

i've played football with ryan smith at the park. definantly one to watch out for ;)

Vannizzlefashizzal... you making fun of liverpool... u gotta have a look at your team man.. struggling against a rooney-less everton AT HOME... getting a goal from smith at the final minutes... you are the ones struggling not us... even though you are above us in the table... we are above you in performance and results...

kms53 said:
Vannizzlefashizzal... you making fun of liverpool... u gotta have a look at your team man.. struggling against a rooney-less everton AT HOME... getting a goal from smith at the final minutes... you are the ones struggling not us... even though you are above us in the table... we are above you in performance and results...

taking the piss out of kopshite is a must for Mancs, is in my genes, cant help it...

Anyway, we're okay, if we we're to lose to a team like say errrm bolton I'd see ya point.

14 years :mrgreen:

Can all filthy Mancs now leave the Liverpool Thread, the next one to post here will be carded. The card will be a random colour depending on my mood :twisted:

CWright said:
Can all filthy Mancs now leave the Liverpool Thread, the next one to post here will be carded. The card will be a random colour depending on my mood :twisted:

lol not this again, c'mon wrighty its only banter its not like im throwing insults around.

Anyway back on topic...

I think the British media are unfairly slagging Benitez. The man's been in charge of 3 premiership matches, and already they're comparing it to Houllier's reign, which is totally unfair.
The players need to get the negative football out
of their minds, and Rafa will take a bit of time to instill his ideas.
It does'nt happen overnight, it will take months.

Then there's the Spanish bandwagon to jump onto, everyone claiming that he only wants Spanish players.
Liverpool does not have the kind of money that is required to buy
big time players.
Benitez has admitted that we're short of the financial musclepower
as the likes of Chelsea, ManU, Real to compete in this transfer market,
which is why he can't think of trying to buy a good English player.
Therefore his next best option is to go for proven players who're more affordable and have quality. Since Benitez has spent most of his career in La Liga, it's only natural for him to sign players he has seen on a weekly basis in Spain.

Judge him at the end of the season. Not 3 games into the season.

mathewsss said:
I think the British media are unfairly slagging Benitez. The man's been in charge of 3 premiership matches, and already they're comparing it to Houllier's reign, which is totally unfair.
The players need to get the negative football out
of their minds, and Rafa will take a bit of time to instill his ideas.
It does'nt happen overnight, it will take months.

Then there's the Spanish bandwagon to jump onto, everyone claiming that he only wants Spanish players.
Liverpool does not have the kind of money that is required to buy
big time players.
Benitez has admitted that we're short of the financial musclepower
as the likes of Chelsea, ManU, Real to compete in this transfer market,
Therefore his next best option is to go for proven players who're more affordable and have quality. Since Benitez has spent most of his career in La Liga, it's only natural for him to sign players he has seen on a weekly basis in Spain.

Judge him at the end of the season. Not 3 games into the season.

joking aside he is a top class coach, like you say time will tell.

I can't believe the papers are comparing him to GH already. I'd say the team is quite improved by his signings. I think we'd all have taken Alonso and Garcia at the beginning of the summer as two big problems solved... and Josemi looks like quite a good deal so far.

And if Nunez turns out to be quality as well then he'd be 4/4 which is a pretty good start.

Oh well, I don't care... I'm happy.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Interesting that Benitez wanted Woodgate but was priced out.

I know the money deals have fallen thru but I'm suprised the lfc board wouldnt back a bid.

Woodgate would have been a good signing if he was fit and reguarly playing, it was not worth wasting money on another 'sicknote'...

But then again which of these good english players can you speak of that aren't already playing for a big club....?

Sabac Red said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Interesting that Benitez wanted Woodgate but was priced out.

I know the money deals have fallen thru but I'm suprised the lfc board wouldnt back a bid.

Woodgate would have been a good signing if he was fit and reguarly playing, it was not worth wasting money on another 'sicknote'...

But then again which of these good english players can you speak of that aren't already playing for a big club....?

Yeah he made the point that Woodgates injury record also put him off, considering he was gonna let Henchoz go to mcfc he's obviously looking for a new CB.

i think rafa should have bought an attacker before the window closed... but i think he's looking to play garcia upfront..

Mellor might get a chance. He had a disappointing loan spell at West Ham where he didn't play as many games as he or we would have liked, but judging by the reserve form that he's shown for us over the past few seasons, there's one thing that's quite clear and that is that he is a very good goal scorer. However, that is only at reserve level, but if he could transform that into Premiership, then we might have a valuable asset.

what do you guys think about the champions league draw for liverpool?? i think we got unlucky unlike the other prem teams... they all got easy draws.. we got the 2nd toughest group in the champs... but we can get through it ;)

kms53 said:
what do you guys think about the champions league draw for liverpool?? i think we got unlucky unlike the other prem teams... they all got easy draws.. we got the 2nd toughest group in the champs... but we can get through it ;)

Don't think so, you've got a quite easy group, Deportivo is not hte same team as the last year, exactly like monaco...
You could win the group...

Liverpool wnt make it thruogh the group stage.. thats wat i think .. monaco has a strong team now.. chevanton, kallon, saviola !! n deportivo are always moody . but they will win the group . ( THATs just wat i THink, not offendin liver or sayin they're bad !! )

inter_211 said:
Liverpool wnt make it thruogh the group stage.. thats wat i think .. monaco has a strong team now.. chevanton, kallon, saviola !! n deportivo are always moody . but they will win the group . ( THATs just wat i THink, not offendin liver or sayin they're bad !! )

Monaco has?? have!! and i agree... deportivo arent the same team they are... so not offending you but liverpool are heading to the 2nd round!! and i hope inter (do)n't..

Xabi Alonso's misplaced pass cost Spain 3 points in their 1:1 draw at Bosnia in the World cup qualifiers.

Looks like the Liverpool pass-and-giveaway tradition has already got
into Alonso.... :mrgreen:

On a serious note, this international break has come at a bad time
with our team needing more time to gel into a tough unit,
we face a West Brom side who won't be easy to beat, plus Monaco in the Champions league.

mathewsss said:
On a serious note, this international break has come at a bad time
with our team needing more time to gel into a tough unit,
we face a West Brom side who won't be easy to beat, plus Monaco in the Champions league.

ya... i have a bad feeling about monaco with all the new players who are all great... but i think we can beat WBA... i hope xabi plays really well...

Back
Top Bottom