Liverpool Thread

A good win today and we are now 4th, not that anyone cares about league placings this early on. Good to hear that we started playing some proper footy in the 2nd half, be interesting to see the highlights on Sky later thanks to Football First

funny how keegan was complaining that Rafa was blocking his view of the match by standing in the technical area most of the match,
then he went on to say "give him two weeks to learn
some english"....which is an absurd comment given
that Rafa's English is very good,
keegan looks pretty stupid now.

Is it just me or does anyone else wanna slap Kewell across his baby-face for not picking his head up before he receives the ball and makes his first touch. He seems to perpetually lose track of teammates that are making great runs or overlaps because his head is down so much.

Also noticed that there were a couple of times where Baros or Cisse could have passed the ball instead of shoot, and there would have been easy goals, or at least one on one's with an advantage for their teammate.

Not complaining, though. Just points for consideration.

BTW - how ridiculous was SWP? I love that kid.

ghazi said:
Also noticed that there were a couple of times where Baros or Cisse could have passed the ball instead of shoot, and there would have been easy goals, or at least one on one's with an advantage for their teammate.

Not complaining, though. Just points for consideration.

Give them a few weeks to adjust and hopefully they will learn to work as partners and Kewell can go from one extreme to another, at the moment hes on semi-crap

Good result, Cisse's pace :shock: ...that guy is lightning on the long distance.

Yeah Kewell he'll eventually get better, i'd still like him to run at & past defenders...

Potter has been brought in on the right for Finnan and Diao has been brought in for Hamman in the only 2 changes from our previous games.

Not been the best first half though, Liverpool know their thru and are playing like a side that know they need to do nothing to go into the main Champs League

0-0 at half time but we lead 2-0 on Agg

not overly impressed but its the result that counts. thought riise was a bit wayward with passes.

My God Liverpool were crap tonight. A team like Milan or Real Madrid (or even Reading tonight) would have destroyed them. Boring, flat, relying on Gerrard (its just a mirrored image of last season) no spark, Baros was shite, Cisse is overrated, same old problems. Not that I`m complaining . . . . .

ninjabreakz said:
My God Liverpool were crap tonight. A team like Milan or Real Madrid (or even Reading tonight) would have destroyed them. Boring, flat, relying on Gerrard (its just a mirrored image of last season) no spark, Baros was shite, Cisse is overrated, same old problems. Not that I`m complaining . . . . .

Eh, only playing half of the starting 11 and everybody is still learning the system. I wager that Alsono will really help Liverpool in the transistion from defense to offense... one of their big problem areas. That should really improve the team.

But, I would like to see some improvement sooner rather than later.

I never saw Liverpool playing such crap :shock: . Just because they knew that they are nearly 100% through, they are not allowed to lose against an Austrian team!

But first of all.....WHAT A GOAL BY TOKIC 8) . We Austrians don't get a chance to see a goal like that very often, so it was really impressive to me.

And I really do think that no one really knew why Benitez made the substitution with Kewell going out and Warnock (?) coming in. Cause imo it was Harry and perhaps Baros, who were the only ones that were able to put some pressure against the solid GAK defense.

To rate the players starting today:
(1 being crap, 5 being awesome)
Dudek-2
Henchoz- 2
Hyypia- 3
Carragher- 2
Riise- 4
Gerrard- 3
Diao- 2
Kewell- 3
Potter- 2
Cisse- 2
Baros- 3

And btw. the game even had a funny fact with Rene Aufhauser geting showed the yellow card TWO times by the ref.....well, anyway.

WCWhasser said:
To rate the players starting today:
(1 being crap, 5 being awesome)
Dudek-2
Henchoz- 2
Hyypia- 3
Carragher- 2
Riise- 4
Gerrard- 3
Diao- 2
Kewell- 3
Potter- 2
Cisse- 2
Baros- 3

Riise - 4? I was unable to watch the game but the ESPN Soccernet commentary seemed to think Riise was completely ineffective on offense and made some gaffs on defense... not true?

We treated it as a foregone conclusion and just didnt look interested, it was only once they scored we even looked like creating anything.

We are thru to the Champs League proper anyway and we now move onto our next game versus Bolton

Well, I am not able to watch every Liverpool game, but I've never seen Riise that good in the defense. In the first half he was effective in the offense too. Some good dribblings past Standfest and a few nice crosses there, nothing really "deadly" though. And well, he even got some decisive headers at the end of the game.

I would have given Riise a 3 normaly, but he simply was the best player tonight (in the Liverpool squad) and therefore I decided to give him the 4. It's more or less a good 3, or a bad 4.

That was fuckin awful. no invention, shoddy passing, and worringly Baros and Cisse dont look anything like a striking partnership. A very "Houllier-esque" performance.
Hmmmm........

ninjabreakz said:

Shades of a certain team in Bucharest 2 weeks ago, or at home to Norwich at the weekend, no ???

Every team has off days, it's the ability to go thru regardless that matters. The overall result doesnt matter as Liverpool are thru to the Champions League proper. Man Utd might join them tomorrow, we will wait and see.

I went the game tonight and would like to say:

WE WERE CRAP.

I worry about Alonso coming in and taking Hammans place, because Gerrard is half the player without Hamman doing the defensive work.

My ratings (1-5) - 5 being best.

Dudek - 1 (Disaster Zone)
Carragher - 2 (Not his usual)
Henchoz -2 (A shadow)
Hyypia - 3 (Dependable)
Riise - 3 (are best player tonight, but still crap)
Diao - 2 (had moments, but essentally, as always, crap)
Potter - 2 (Looked ol, didnt do anything though)
Gerrard - 3 (So much centred around him, had to do Diaos work aswell)
Kewell - 1 (Sell him, crap everygame)
Cisse - 2 (Innefective)
Baros - 2 (Lively but blunt)

At least it's CL!

ninjabreakz said:

Liverpool - Team in transition.
United - Team in decline.

The worrying thing was the performance tonight, the good thing was that we did this now and not in the 1st leg, otherwise we may have been under a lot of pressure to win this one.

I think Benitez will sort it out, it's only his 4th competitive match, and with the squad we have, it will take him some time to eradicate the habits of the Houllier era (losing possession, long balls, etc).

With Alonso and Garcia in the team, our midfield will be a lot more balanced. If we keep the ball better, we can't play as crap as we did tonight.

KOP_007 said:
ninjabreakz said:

Liverpool - Team in transition.
United - Team in decline.

How long have Liverpool been a team in transition for? they say the same thing about my beloved spurs every year too :(

cal-neva said:
A very "Houllier-esque" performance.

Benitez is looking to iron that out, now that we've qualified I don't think he'll allow us to play such mediocre football in the group stages or in the future.

We just lack shape can't wait for Alonso and Garcia to come through, even Nunez.

cfdh_edmundo said:
ninjabreakz said:

Shades of a certain team in Bucharest 2 weeks ago, or at home to Norwich at the weekend, no ???

Every team has off days, it's the ability to go thru regardless that matters. The overall result doesnt matter as Liverpool are thru to the Champions League proper. Man Utd might join them tomorrow, we will wait and see.

Whatever!??? We played well against Bucharest - we kept the ball and made chances, scored 2 and hit the post. Plus, it was a much tougher fixture than playing against a shoddy Austrian team - the difference is we can play bad and still win. Eat ya words . . . . .

The Spaniards are officially unveiled

alonsogarcia6.jpg
alonsogarcia5.jpg

alonsogarcia11.jpg
alonsogarcia12.jpg

Spanish stars Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso have both been officially unveiled as Liverpool players this afternoon.
The Reds' two new signings were paraded alongside manager Rafael Benitez as they came face to face with the English media for the first time.

Alonso, speaking in fluent English, spoke of his desire to form a midfield partnership with Steven Gerrard while Garcia revealed his determination to stay at Liverpool for 'many years' to help play his part in the Rafa Revolution.

The manager was delighted to introduce both players and he revealed they could make their debuts at Bolton on Sunday.

Benitez said: "We hope that they can play at the weekend. Now they are here we have a lot more possibilities in our midfield and attack.

"Them being here means there is now more competition for places and that will benefit the team. I am sure they will quickly adapt to English football because they are both very good players."

I think they can compete for the gay icon.
at least arsenal won't win also that prize :mrgreen:

seriously, Xabi is class.
can't tell bout garcia as I've seen him playing only a little bit.

Cant wait to see the game this weekend. Heading to a pub with friends. Gerrard and Okocha squaring up. 8)

ninjabreakz said:
Ooooh dont they look sexy. Better looking than that gorilla, Heskey :D

Yeah but I'm hoping they'll do a lot more than selling us a few calendars.

Alonso will help us keep the ball a lot better.
He's a classy midfielder , maybe a bit like Redondo was for Real at times.

Garcia was one of the best goal-scoring wingers in Spain last season.
Supposedly as good or even better than Vicente and Reyes.
He was poised to be a starter in the Spanish team at the Euros,
but then got injured.

He should add a lot more balance to the team.

Benitez must be relieved to finally have got some proper talent than
having to put makeshifts like Finnan, Diao in the team.

Back
Top Bottom