Liverpool Thread

Liverpool legend Ian Rush has been appointed manager of Chester City, according to BBC Sport.

The former Wales striker, 43, succeeds another ex-Anfield star, Mark Wright, at the Deva Stadium.

Wright, who led City back into the Football League as Nationwide Conference champions last season, left on the eve of their League Two campaign and Ray Mathias had been acting as caretaker manager.

Bye Rushie

I think that what you need in your strike prtner ship is a shadow striker
who is a good passer and has a brilliant football brain...too bad these
abilities are rare these days , but who knows ? maybe Luis Garcia was
brought for this reason....

The Highbury Flash said:
I think that what you need in your strike prtner ship is a shadow striker
who is a good passer and has a brilliant football brain...too bad these
abilities are rare these days , but who knows ? maybe Luis Garcia was
brought for this reason....
those skills are named Dennis Bergkamp :)

Isnt it amazing that rooney is about to be sold for 25 million plus and we got 8 million for Owen? and wasnt rooney also on the last year of his contract? something very wrong there....

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing the new team today. I've been trying a formation in WE8 of playing 5 in the middle with a lone striker a la Benitez's Valencia side. although its not so much a lone striker because I have Kewell and garcia acting as 2 wingforwards/ link-up men who can also drop back when we're defending, with alonso and gerrard behind them and Hamann as the holding player behind them with a regular back four and its been virtually unbeatable in WE8!! I wonder will he try this today.

------------ Baros/ (or cisse)

------kewell-------------------Garcia

---------Alonso---------Gerrard

----------------Hamann

Riise-----Hyypia-----Carragher----Josemi

-----------------Dudek

I can see Kewell being dropped today for 1 of our 2 new Spaniards, sticking to a 442 formation

Well he went with the formation I thought he would but it really didnt work. The only ray of light was Alonso, I think he looks a class act.

starting 11:
Dudek
Josemi-Carragher-Hyypia-Riise
Garcia-Gerrard-Alonso-Hamann-Warnock
Baros

subs: Traore for Hyypia (injury) and Cissé for Warnock

so some of you guessed it right, 4-5-1 and Kewell out.
I know I should post a summary cause the match's already finished but I'm too lazy :mrgreen:

With the 3 central midfielders you were playing, it gave Gerrard less work to do. Although in theory it's probably best that you're not relying on that one player, I thought today he was very quiet and couldnt quite influence the game like he usually would. Garcia and Alonso look like good players. Garcia will definetly give you some of the width you've been lacking. I thought Warnock looked good too. If he plays a lot of games this season then he should get an England call up what with his left footedness. You looked better with 2 strikers too.

Gerrard needs to be in the middle of the park to have any influence on the play, putting him out wide just doesnt work.

Playing 1 up front doesnt work either, especially if that one is Baros. How huffy can one player look, the guy just wandered round shaking his head. It was that bad I thought he had contracted Parkinsons Disease.

4 across the back with a holding midfielder in front of them with Gerrard pushing on from the middle. 2 proper wingers and 2 proper strikers and we are sorted

I was thinkin about the results more than the performances:

1-1 at WHL (good, but should have been a win)
2-1 against city (but they went down)
0-1 in the CL qualifiers
1-0 at the reebok stadium

the only exploit is that win in austria...

GH probably would have done better...

i think benitez needs more time to get the best out of this team.
It is unfair to expect overnight success.
It also does'nt help when people like Kewell do not deliver.

Garcia and Alonso will take a bit to adjust to the more physical game
in England.

My only concern is that Benitez went with a 4-5-1 formation today, which would have been deemed very negative in the GH era.

But the good thing is that Benitez is not going to sit and play that every
game, but he will make changes to bring the success.

This was already going to be a difficult task for Rafa, having to deal
with new players (who are of lower quality), players who're not used
to playing attacking football, a new league, new country.

But I think we should give him time, and let his team gel into the unit he envisions. Winning La Liga twice was no fluke. I'm sure we'll do well.

We were quite woeful(but I guess we need more time), didn't test the goalkeeper. Alonso and Garcia are exactly what we've been missing they seemed to settle in nicely, they've just got to get used to the pace and the physical side of things.

Garcia's goal should have stood, incompetent linesman...

Why in the hell does Benitez want Mr Liability Traore to stay...we should of cashed in on him and it is quite obvious that we need a couple of central defenders. Apparently we're looking to sign Mallorca's David Cortés.

Sabac Red said:
Apparently we're looking to sign Mallorca's David Cortés.

Apparently we have signed him, another Spaniard moves in. I am gonna have to learn Spanish :roll:

I'm a little surprised the transfer window closed without an earnest effort to land another striker.

. . . Unless Rafa plans on sticking with a 4-5-1 and using Garcia and Nunez as attacking wingers.

I'm waiting for Saha to say he wants out of ManU like he did at Fulham. The guy can be a pain in the ass if he wants to make noise, and ManU maybe happy to loan him out for the year to shut him up. Dunno whether they would be willing to send him to Anfield.

Plus, the FA does not prevent inter-EPL transfers even though the transfer window is closed.

just thinkin out loud.

ghazi said:
I'm a little surprised the transfer window closed without an earnest effort to land another striker.

. . . Unless Rafa plans on sticking with a 4-5-1 and using Garcia and Nunez as attacking wingers.

I'm waiting for Saha to say he wants out of ManU like he did at Fulham. The guy can be a pain in the ass if he wants to make noise, and ManU maybe happy to loan him out for the year to shut him up. Dunno whether they would be willing to send him to Anfield.

Plus, the FA does not prevent inter-EPL transfers even though the transfer window is closed.

just thinkin out loud.

no chance!!!

Saha's very happy at United anyway why would he wanna take a step back ;)

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
ghazi said:

just thinkin out loud.

no chance!!!

Saha's very happy at United anyway why would he wanna take a step back ;)

We wouldnt want him anyway, the guy`s shite

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
CWright said:
We wouldnt want him anyway, the guy`s shite

lol everyones happy then

you keep pongy, sissy and baros

we'll keep Ruud,Rooney,Smith and Saha..

sounds good to me :mrgreen:

And while your defence keeps giving away goals every other teams happy as well :mrgreen:

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
CWright said:
And while your defence keeps giving away goals every other teams happy as well :mrgreen:

lol bolton 1 lfc 0...

do yaself a favour C, lets leave it there ey ;) :mrgreen:

And a 0-0 draw against Everton just screams greatness dont it. Add that to the fantastic 1-1 draw against Blackburn and we are all laughing

CWright said:
And a 0-0 draw against Everton just screams greatness dont it. Add that to the fantastic 1-1 draw against Blackburn and we are all laughing

lol I can live with that, I was at both games, we played well , had tons of chances....

bolton 1 lfc 0 is a completley diff story

just give it up dude!!

Actually the funniest thing about lfc at the mo, well one of them, is Gerrards post match interviews, he has the look of a man thinking "what the fook am I doing here" and he when asked about the wee welsh one he chokes up. I feel for the bloke cos he could have left, spose he'll get his chance again though.......

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
CWright said:

lol I can live with that, I was at both games, we played well , had tons of chances....

bolton 1 lfc 0 is a completley diff story

just give it up dude!!

Actually the funniest thing about lfc at the mo, well one of them, is Gerrards post match interviews, he has the look of a man thinking "what the fook am I doing here" and he when asked about the wee welsh one he chokes up. I feel for the bloke cos he could have left, spose he'll get his chance again though.......
yeah benitez is trying to turn the pool into a Spanish side, aint gonna work..... I think i would rather be in Uniteds position with too much talent, then liverpools with not enough.....

csaunders said:
yeah benitez is trying to turn the pool into a Spanish side, aint gonna work..... I think i would rather be in Uniteds position with too much talent, then liverpools with not enough.....

first thing he did was break up the english contingent, which is just daft.

Also someone mustnt have told him about GH's reign at Anfailed, scousers have spent the best part of 5/6 years bemoaning Houlliers policy of bringing in French players and ignoring the very good youngsters in The Academy only for Benitez to (appear) to do the same....

Oh well its been 14 years another 10 wont make any difference...

:mrgreen:

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
csaunders said:

first thing he did was break up the english contingent, which is just daft.

Well if he could have kept Owen, then of course he would have. However, the fate of Owen wasn't his choice, was it? Then there's Murphy. Murphy isn't good enough to be playing in the first team. He is a squad player at best and his abilities as a footballer are limited. Signing Xabi Alonso is an excellent coup. Benitez has gotten rid of Murphy and he's improved on that position in the side by purchasing a player that will improve the side vastly. You must be seriously demented if you think otherwise.

Also someone mustnt have told him about GH's reign at Anfailed, scousers have spent the best part of 5/6 years bemoaning Houlliers policy of bringing in French players and ignoring the very good youngsters in The Academy only for Benitez to (appear) to do the same....

5/6 years? Yeah, exaggerate a little while you're at it. More like 2 or 3. Liverpool won the treble in 2001 and finished second the season after and back then I bet you wouldn't see many LFC fans complaining that they had too many French players, when, as a squad, they were succeeding.

You obviously haven't been paying much attention. Benitez actually is giving the youth a chance.

Oh well its been 14 years another 10 wont make any difference...

Just take a look at what Benitez achieved at Valencia. He has excellent credentials coming into this job. It would take a miracle (or huge sums of money) to completely transform Liverpool into a championship winning team in a season. Time is on his side though and I'm sure he'll succeed.

AgentSmithMatrix said:
Just take a look at what Benitez achieved at Valencia. He has excellent credentials coming into this job. It would take a miracle (or huge sums of money) to completely transform Liverpool into a championship winning team in a season. Time is on his side though and I'm sure he'll succeed.

no doubting what he did at Valencia, but he's not there anymore :roll:

time on his side?? isnt this liverpools 4th or 5th manager in 10 years, doesnt seem like patience is a scouse virtue........

Back
Top Bottom