Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

tumblr_lsobdahYlE1qzhk1po1_500.png

tumblr_lsob657AwQ1qzhk1po1_500.png

tumblr_lsob40aedf1qzhk1po1_500.png

So Young, Evra and Fabio have all been injured on international duty for United, and Vidic has yet to play a full match of football all season. Smalling is also still out with groin strain, and Rafael has yet to play since opening day.

So, to be honest, I'm not expecting much from United this weekend. And that ignores where the hell Rooney's head is going to be.

Just rubbish timing for us tbh. Could be a thumping, especially if there's a ref who will fall for Suarez's 34 life-threatning injuries routine and book United players anytime they touch him. Vidic could be gone in the first 5 minutes...

Nani will hopefully have a point to prove and on current form I'd back him to silence the away crowd.

Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

Could be a thumping, especially if there's a ref who will fall for Suarez's 34 life-threatning injuries routine and book United players anytime they touch him. Vidic could be gone in the first 5 minutes...

That's actually quite funny coming from a fan of United after some of the players they've had over the years!

I don't like any players diving. Does my head in. I hope someone boots Suarez up in the air to make him stop doing it tbh.

These tight derby games tend to be decided by unlikely goalscorers, given the best players on each side tend to be marked out of the game or given special treatment, so I'm not expecting much from the likes of Nani, Suarez etc.

These tight derby games tend to be decided by unlikely goalscorers, given the best players on each side tend to be marked out of the game or given special treatment, so I'm not expecting much from the likes of Nani, Suarez etc.
Ask that to Torres and Vidic.

Wow, classy : http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/11/liverpool-breakaway-tv-deal

Ian Ayre is proposing the Premier league switch to a La Liga type TV deal. Yes Ian, that's gone really well over there hasn't it.

I understand that if the only thing you cared about was Liverpool this might make sense - the 7th placed team in the league could probably get the 2nd or 3rd most money from TV - but it would mean the end of an already uncompetitive league, and to be honest only Liverpool would really benefit.

Has nothing to do with class imo, just business. Why should Liverpool pay for their popularity by sponsoring the other teams around them (besides Utd, Arsenal and maybe Chelsea)? Nobody in England wants to watch Stoke, let alone abroad, yet they are receiving "3 million"* that would have gone to Liverpool. It's a selfish viewpoint, but when has sport not been? Tbh I wouldn't want the clubs to go completely individual, but say the clubs recieve the possibility to sell 25-50% of their homegames individually aswell. Then you might be able to get a decent amount for everyone for the general package and have the teams that are actually carrying the league get value aswell.

It's also in Utd's interest remember, how many millions are you in debt? Just because Ferguson has been able to sustain succes doesn't mean it will continue when he has left/died (whichever comes first as he looks like he wants to go on forever). And then what happens? Teams like Chelsea and City become the most succesfull because they have rich owners who don't care about what they spend?

It isn't as black and white as some may think, Utd**, Arsenal and Liverpool especially are barely keeping up because they are trying to work within normal business models, yet Chelsea bought succes within 2 years, City look like they will within 3 years. Do you consider that a good model for a competative sporting league? The league hasn't been competative since the premiership started, two winners because of great managers and 2 winners because of money. Yet Liverpool with their history have been a big part of the overal succes, have received very little value for it.

So it's either who has the richest owner at that moment who wins, which might be a fight between 2 or 3 teams in the future, or it's who has the popularity which will be the usual 3 teams, with probably another 3 or 4 below that who would get significant income aswell. Atleast with the latter, succes and popularity generated by the succes receive the income for it.

* Or whatever amount it is.
** With Utd's debts (even if it wasn't the club's fault) they are also a "financial wreckage".

Last edited:

I'd prefer the FFP rule to come in and dent City and Chelsea rather than making the status quo at the top even more likely to stay.

Yep, if that works then Liverpool and the likes won't need a different tv deal (although I think they will try anyway).

Has nothing to do with class imo, just business. Why should Liverpool pay for their popularity by sponsoring the other teams around them (besides Utd, Arsenal and maybe Chelsea)? Nobody in England wants to watch Stoke, let alone abroad, yet they are receiving "3 million"* that would have gone to Liverpool. It's a selfish viewpoint, but when has sport not been? Tbh I wouldn't want the clubs to go completely individual, but say the clubs recieve the possibility to sell 25-50% of their homegames individually aswell. Then you might be able to get a decent amount for everyone for the general package and have the teams that are actually carrying the league get value aswell.

It's also in Utd's interest remember, how many millions are you in debt? Just because Ferguson has been able to sustain succes doesn't mean it will continue when he has left/died (whichever comes first as he looks like he wants to go on forever). And then what happens? Teams like Chelsea and City become the most succesfull because they have rich owners who don't care about what they spend?

It isn't as black and white as some may think, Utd**, Arsenal and Liverpool especially are barely keeping up because they are trying to work within normal business models, yet Chelsea bought succes within 2 years, City look like they will within 3 years. Do you consider that a good model for a competative sporting league? The league hasn't been competative since the premiership started, two winners because of great managers and 2 winners because of money. Yet Liverpool with their history have been a big part of the overal succes, have received very little value for it.

So it's either who has the richest owner at that moment who wins, which might be a fight between 2 or 3 teams in the future, or it's who has the popularity which will be the usual 3 teams, with probably another 3 or 4 below that who would get significant income aswell. Atleast with the latter, succes and popularity generated by the succes receive the income for it.

* Or whatever amount it is.
** With Utd's debts (even if it wasn't the club's fault) they are also a "financial wreckage".

I agree that it has nothing to do with football.
But: i want to see Stoke and Everton and Swansea...sometimes matches between those teams are much better and attractive than matches between big clubs.

Besides that, that sort of reasoning in the long term will be the death of football and of English football too. (i already warned quite a lot about Russian clubs...)
In ten or 15 years time, if this logic continues then Russian clubs (Anzhi anyone?) will be the biggest clubs in the world if this dog eat dog mentality continues..."traditional" clubs like Liverpool will be dwarfs compared to the Anzhi's and Grozny's of the future...The Steven Gerrard's and Wayne Rooney's of the future will be plying their trade in the Caucasus, Siberia and the Gulf Region...The Luis Suarez's of that time will not play for Liverpool but for Omsk... Don't say that i haven't warned you...:P

Well we all hope the FFP rules will actually be enforced so the need for individual TV-rights will be diminished. However I also think there should be a fair system towards the clubs....it's not like we would agree to a communist system where everybody's wages get thrown into a single pot and we all receive the same amount! That's what is essentailly happening with the oversea's tv deals. Just introduce a "taxsystem" where 60,70% is equal and the remaining 30,40% get's distributed according to sales. Or whatever amount gives popular clubs decent value while keeping the league "competative".

The foreign TV deal breaks down to an equal £18m per team per season. That's pretty sizeable money to even United and Liverpool, and highlights what it would mean for Swansea or Everton.

The whole point of collective agreements is to mitigate for inherent gap in revenue streams for clubs. Liverpool already benefit from their global brand in the form of sponsorships, kit sales and promotional tours. In fact, the TV agreement is pretty much the last bastion of equality in the top flight.

And personally I don't think it's good enough. Rather than let Liverpool/ United benefit from skewing the playing field even more, I actually think that we should divvy up total TV revenue (incl. domestic) and partition it in the inverse of league position. Now that would fix the 'league' in a hurry.

Club football is a mockery of 'sport'. Every year one of 3 or so teams win the league in Spain, England and Italy. And the only way anything changes is for some rich f*ck with compensation issues to literally throw 100s of millions down the drain. I want a league where United win 1 in every 20, on average. I want a league where a newly promoted side knows that if they have a great season, they can slowly build their way up and one day challenge for the top.

The system today stinks.

And where is it even worse than England? Spain! And that's what Liverpool's GM aspires to.

I think you'll find this has far more to do with the Red Sox not even making the playoffs (talk about revenue issues) then some concept of market fairness.

Definitely think a draw was fair. You guys were a lot stronger at the very end, but rest of the match was even.

Would question why a tiny touch on Adam's left heel caused his right foot to give out, but hey, if Giggsy had stood his ground it would have been a sh*t free kick.

Back
Top Bottom