Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

Very impressed with Cole and Jovanovic last night, so refreshing to see two players want to run at players, perform backheels etc and play with such an attacking mentality. Gerrard also played very well.

Fair enough it was against a very poor team but it made some enjoyable watching and I'm hoping Cole and Jovanovic can continue settling in as well as it looks like they have.

Word of praise for Jovanovic, again. He really does look like a quality player, who wants to run and is happy to take players on and take risks.

How the hell has he not been picked up by a bigger league than Belgium before?! He's 29, has he got better with age or something? Gerd?

Delighted, really pleased about Cole. I'm confident that Bruckner will be able to sort out Cole's injuries and we'll get the best out of him :D

Don't forget Jovanovic and Maxi, we seem to have decent wide players all of a sudden! :LOL:

Sentiment.

I couldn't have been more wrong about Cole though :LOL: :(

JenChang88 Jen Chang
As for rumor of Gary Cahill bid by LFC, my sources had no knowledge of that. May or may not be true but I can't substantiate it on my end.

JenChang88 Jen Chang
Believe LFC still interested in Scott Dann. As I said after Downing signing, don't think new signings are contingent on shifting dead wood

JenChang88 Jen Chang
Based on some of the tentative approaches, in my opinion LFC could add another player (maybe 2) before window closes.

JenChang88 Jen Chang
@
@playgal2828 not sure on Cahill but the Higuain rumor isn't true

JenChang88 Jen Chang
As for those demanding to know who LFC's exact target(s) is and if firm offer will be made - no one except LFC's hierarchy would know that.

JenChang88 Jen Chang
However LFC has (I believe) had tentative talks with reps of Dann, Diego Godin & Dejan Lovren in recent weeks hence why I THINK they'll add

And the line about Aquilani, now it's you that's missed the point. The point of that article is to get behind our new players as well as old. People constantly saying "X is rubbish, if Aquilani played then all would be right in the world!" (sounds familiar somehow...) is not showing support for the players at all. How would you feel if you move to a club and you've got a section of fans not giving you a chance whatsoever and constantly calling out for you to be replaced? Not exactly going to help you play to the best of your ability is it?

If the point is "get behind our new players as well as old" then asking for Aquilani to be given a more prominent role would surely fall under getting behind an old (as in not recently signed) player. It's showing support for Aquilani, who is still (at the moment) a Liverpool player. If the fans want to see Aquilani either starting or as an option from the bench then it's hardly an indictment of the other Liverpool players. Afterall Aquilani's what 26/27 ? He's regularly played CL games for Roma and has (injury permitting) been a frequent member of the Italian squad for the last few years. He's hardly a ringer.

He's the sort of player who can create chances at any stage of the game and if he'd been thrown on for the last 20 mins against a tired Sunderland he might have been able to prize them open. I don't think it's that unreasonable for the fans to want at least the option of bring him on from the bench.

You want to keep going back to last years signings though. And people were prepared to give them chances, apart from Paul Konchesky who many doubted because he's been in the game long enough for people to know he's not the class that Liverpool should be signing. But you still want the players to do well because they still play for your club.

How could you be sure that Konchesky would be a failure and that say Charlie Adam won't be? I'm not saying that Adam will be a failure but on the face of it you have two players with similar experiences. Konchesky was reasonably successful at Fulham, playing getting on for 100 league games for them, and helping them get to the Europa final. Adam has been successful at Blackpool, although he's only played one season in the Premier League. Internationally both are a similar level, with Konchesky having 2 caps for England (vs Australia and Argentina) and Adam having 11 for Scotland - Adam might have more caps in terms of numbers, but it's harder to get caps for England as the squad selection is more competitve.

You say that you dismissed Konchesky last year as being "not good enough" and "never the class [of player] Liverpool should be signing", can you not see how some fans might not feel the same about Adam to a degree?

I'm not saying people are wrong to say Aquilani should've been on the bench, I like Aquilani a lot. But some people treat him like he's the second coming of Zidane and that he'd immediately fix any problems if he starts/gets brought on. He's a good player, not a miracle worker.

Konchesky has played a number of years in the top flight, somehow got into the England squad (which doesn't mean you're a good player, Carlton Cole has caps), and has shown over time that he has a certain level. Or are you suggesting that he is actually good enough for clubs of a certain level? Can you see Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd signing Konchesky?

Adam had one season in the Premier League, not even close to what Konchesky offered. And that one season was a superb season, I've not seen anyone debate that really. He's a gamble because of that one season, he could go on and replicate that form (or even improve due to playing alongside better players) or he could be out of his depth. Konchesky hardly set the world alight playing for West Ham or Fulham and Liverpool fans knew what they were getting having seen him play a LOT more than the vast majority will have seen Adam play over the last few years.

I'd wager that 95% of Liverpool fans didn't know Charlie Adam before Blackpool last season. And those people likely knew Konchesky for years before he joined. Adam has joined as a gamble and if he gets support, could really pay off. Konchesky joined with all but his mother knowing that he wasn't upto Liverpool standard and guess what? He wasn't and has since had to drop down to a Championship team.

I think none here criticised Henderson, we just didnt agree with Pipa saying he played very good or with him already calling Downing a superb signing because he crushed one ball in the crossbar.
There is a big difference between criticism and cautious. Some people here should realised that, especially the ones that think themselves as the only truly fans.

Last edited:

I think Konchesky is a very good Championship level player and an average, middle of the road Premier League player. He performed well at Fulham and had a good year in 2009-10. He's been signed by Leicester City, effectivly the Man City (in terms of budget and ambition) of the Championship. He'll most likely get promoted with them and I think he'll probably be able to perform for them in Premier League next season. He's not a top-4 team player, but he could do a job for the likes of Norwich, Wolves, Blackburn, Everton. Charlie Adam is at the very worst case also the latter (an average Premier League level player), can he make it at a higher level? I would say it's 50:50, so I can understand the doubts some fans might have.

Aquilani might not be a miracle worker, but in his Roma days he had excellent vision and superb passing. The service he could provide to Carroll's physical power and Suarez's speed might add a massive level of dyanamism to Liverpool's attack, it could add something back that's been missing since Xavi Alonso, arguably the best passer in the league, left for Madrid. It might work very well, or it might not, but it would be a shame if he wasn't given the chance.

Well said. Haha the funny part is you two are arguing but both making very good and valid points!

I'm with Dags on Konchesky (Though I find it strange that neither one of you mentioned his Charlton period along with Luke Young, Scott Parker etc. under Alan Curbishly which he emerged as talented youngster and was in my opinion his best and even better than Fulham days though those were more consistent) but can totally see the points Edmundo is making as well and was gonna mention the same myself. It's good that many fans NOW have the right attitude in getting behind their team and supporting the players and being positive, in this sense I really like the posts I read by Pipa, Dags and co. but I can definitely agree with Edmundo and Gerd as well when they say that LAST year this time, there was also a new manager at helm and some new signings and let's just say, SOME of these same fans weren't exactly giving them a proper chance or getting behind them or filling them with confidence....

The fact is and this is something that will always be there and you can't change, so it's better not to fight it, big clubs like Liverpool have millions of fans all over the world from different cultural, ethnic backgrounds, with different values, belief-systems and even education and most importantly personalities and so it's only natural that though part of the same collective group and supporting same entity (LFC in this case), they will have vastly different opinions on different players etc.

For me supporting Aquilani and wanting to see him at LEAST on the bench to come on with 30 mins to go and provide the magic we know he can provide in a 1-1 game is not bad behaviour by a fan and no worse than fans who aren't even prepared to give the likes of poor Charlie Adam a chance and call him ridiculous names like FK Adam. Which by the way is even more ridiculous when you consider just HOW MANY Goals are scored in the Premier League from set pieces be it corner kicks or FK's. Statistics reveal they're far more than average football fan thinks and so having a guy like Charlie Adam or Beckham EVEN IF it was true that they're only at good at setpieces (which is total BS) would be a HUGE weapon for any team and lead to many points gained over the season!

That's me done for the day but enjoyed the discussions with CFDH today, I must admit. It's good to have a debate where facts are used and not 1-liner opinions with no basis. Good stuff today :D

Set pieces really, really shouldn't be dismissed as they are. As many pundits are saying, Liverpool are going to be lethal from these this season. And you have players that can, erm, earn a good number of em in Gerrard and Suarez.

Carroll is happily at the top of a 3 in my FF team :)

Yeah Adam's ball was really really good for the assist. It might not seem like much, a low hard cross, but it's a the little bit extra that get's you the goal.

Now for some positive statements;
Out of the 3 new players, one got an important assist, one could have scored a possible goal of the season (in the first match) and Henderson nearly got on the end of a good cross to open the scoring...(whilst apparently having the highest completion rate of passes (and he was going forward quite a lot aswell in the first half).

They did a tactical analysis on 365 and it was mostly very positive, Liverpool could have been 4-0 up at half time (Suarez pen, Carroll's lame freekick when he scored and Downing's shot)...aswell as playing 10 men from 5min on.

Looking at it like that, Liverpool had poor luck and could have been the big winners of the weekend.....and looked really strong for a title challenge*

*That last bit is a joke, but could veyr much be a reaction seeing how negative people can be when it didn't work out!

I think none here criticised Henderson, we just didnt agree with Pipa saying he played very good or with him already calling Downing a superb signing because he crushed one ball in the crossbar.
There is a big difference between criticism and cautious. Some people here should realised that, especially the ones that think themselves as the only truly fans.

for his debut - FIRST MATCH EVER at home for us it was OK.

On Downing, i didn´t called him a "superb signing", i called him a "fantastic buy", wich i mean.. and i don´t think about him like this becouse just hitting that bar, but becouse i saw him play in pre season and in that game, he provides us something we lacked years... he is strong, has pace, he is very very fast and has amazing left shoot.. that bar he hitted was not just some coincidence.. he run towards it and if he scored, we would win the game.. but as i said, we were unlucky..

being irish id love to see paddy mccourt at liverpool,ive watched his whole career from shamrock rovers to derry and on to celtic and i have to say he is one of the most naturally talented footballers ive ever seen,but like so many naturally gifted players he doesnt apply himself to the more mundane elements like training hard and working on his all round game,its easy to be amazing at celtic when the standard of the league you are playing in is the same as league 1 in england. maybe if kenny got him in he could add to his game but i think he might be at 28 a bit too old for what liverpool are looking for

tbh, we need a player who can give us some options on wings.. currently we don´t have any other natural winger appart from Downing..

but kd knows best.i mean he only dropped two of best players come the end of last season in meireles and kuyt for adam and our shiny new right winger jordan henderson.

So why aren't you managing Liverpool seeing as you know more about the players, their fitness levels, the tactics that you wanted to play against Sunderland and balance to the team?

Sack Kenny, Misfit in. Oh, and Liverbird as joint manager and Aquilani as assistant manager/coach/physio/chef/coach driver and chief scientist.

Last edited by a moderator:

So why aren't you managing Liverpool seeing as you know more about the players, their fitness levels, the tactics that you wanted to play against Sunderland and balance to the team?

Sack Kenny, Misfit in. Oh, and Liverbird as joint manager and Aquilani as assistant manager/coach/physio/chef/coach driver and chief scientist.

WTF Dags!! Aquilani still won't get a game!!!!

but kd knows best.i mean he only dropped two of best players come the end of last season in meireles and kuyt for adam and our shiny new right winger jordan henderson.

dropped? both have played in that game..

Adam for 8M is a pretty good signing to be honest, I think it's a decent gamble for someone who did show quality last year, Downing for 20M is again pricey but your getting someone who should be coming into their prime with a good left foot and hopefully he performs even if I don't rate him that highly I can't see many options which could offer what he does.

Henderson is the signing which still baffles me, I just don't see anything, I could be horribly wrong but we'll have to see.

Tbh I think Henderson could be an expensive Lucas. I'm not expecting to be hugely impressed just now, but I think he will be tidy and could grow into a very good player in a couple of years. Was suprised by how tall he is, at one point him and Carroll were stood next to each other waiting for a corner and there wasn't a huge difference between them.

Yeah agreed but that doesn't make sense when you've got Lucas who you've had for some time and finally groomed into a good player to buy somoene in the same mould at the age of 20 for a big amount who will probably get the same stick Lucas/Fletcher got but to add to that cost a hefty price which those two didn't.

I do think he is a different player though. More attacking, but I meant in the same way Lucas didn't impress people early on but is now considered an important player to balance the team. It will be interesting to see how Henderson develops, because really he will need to be more like Gerrard, or the AM/RM position as Lucas does enough tidy simple passes whilst also being a good shield and Adam looks like a Alonso/Gerrard mash-up (obviously not as good, but he has the passing and likes to attack aswell). Ofcourse Kuyt only has a couple of years left as a starter as he's nearing 30.

Henderson has nothing to prove, for his age he´s top player, played in first 11 for Sunderland and did pretty well last season..

i hope we judge him after more than one game... for example after whole season...

btw, Kuyt is 31 ;)

oh calm down susan!this is after all a forum where we are entitled to our own opinions rather than guessing size and admiring kd bollocks.on that note,are you kd's right bollock?cos i'm pretty sure pipa was the left bollock.

PS:If i was liverpool's manager and liverbird my assistant,i can assure aqua starts every game and that fat scottish twat polishes aqua bellend after every game.

Nice :ROLL:

Can't be arsed posting in here anymore, waste of time. Easier to stick with Twitter, easier to block out all of the rubbish.

:BYE:

Last edited by a moderator:

oh calm down susan!this is after all a forum where we are entitled to our own opinions rather than guessing size and admiring kd bollocks.on that note,are you kd's right bollock?cos i'm pretty sure pipa was the left bollock.

PS:If i was liverpool's manager and liverbird my assistant,i can assure aqua starts every game and that fat scottish twat polishes aqua bellend after every game.

It is a forum, but be carefull with agressive post towards others.. after all it has some rules how to behave even if you are angry...

It is a forum, but be carefull with agressive post towards others.. after all it has some rules how to behave even if you are angry...

what the problem if WE say our opinion , for me Carroll , Downing , Henderson are players that I dont like special not for price we buy , this IS MY OPINION , like or dont like its not my problem at all , and I HOPE they prove to me im wrong !

talking about class here is Suarez :P

YouTube - Luis Suarez 70m shot HD

Back
Top Bottom