Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

It's a good signing.....
he is a consistent proper winger....
when is the last time we had one ?

I was hearing an interview with John Barnes when he spoke about signing
for Liverpool in the 87/88 season, and how Dalglish had just revamped
the attack with Ian Rush leaving for Juventus...
Dalglish bought 4 players with potential who had not played
at any major clubs, but they were signed for big money in those days
- John Barnes
- John Aldridge
- Peter Beardsley
- Ray Houghton...
And Dalglish gave them the freedom to play a fluid attacking 1-touch
passing style.....and the rest is history....we won 2 Titles, 1 FA cup,
1 FA cup runners-up, 2nd in the league.

I sense that we're going to see Liverpool really be up there
this season and next.....
the way Dalglish got the team playing in the last 6 months
was superb....it really bodes well.

All we need now is a good left-back and we're all set.

Here's a Downing fact from BBC

Downing completed more crosses in open play - 135 - than any other player in the Premier League last season. No other player has beaten that amount for any of the last three campaigns.

Valon and Liverbird, you guys so don´t understand what´s reality and what´s football manager.. there is so many factors around a single transfer of a player you pretend that don´t exist.. i don´t have the will to write those factors...becouse it would be useles..
I dont know about that, but at least I can say I have my own opinion.

20 million is a huge amount for a player like Downing.
I think both Downing and Henderson will turn out to be good transfers, but the prizes that were paid for them are ridiculously high.

PS: let's keep it nice and just say that you are not the most critical Liverpool fan (with all due respect of course).

Edit: and i don't see why Liverpool could not attract Aguero. Aguero has been missing CL football for ages with Atletico. It's clear that Liverpool are building a solid and attractive long term project. If i was a player i would prefer Liverpool to Chelsea, Man City, Spurs and Arsenal. Of all these clubs Liverpool have the best future ahead of them. I'm 100% sure that Liverpool will play CL in 2012-2013. If they would find a good CF and a good CB, they would be my favourites for the title.

Last edited:

PIPA looks like Liverpool its PAYING you , to see all positive i bet last season with Mr. Been u were saying same things and defending too

I never saw a fan that dont do one single critic to team and movment there even if your team its Barcelona (who won CL , Premiera Division) still have space for critics , but our team its LIVERPOOL have many years without win title and last season was one big shit but if your happy with this well leave all positive like you leave untill now

20 million is a huge amount for a player like Downing.
I think both Downing and Henderson will turn out to be good transfers, but the prizes that were paid for them are ridiculously high.

thats what im talking about ;)

We've probably "overpaid" for Downing but I'm not too bothered, it's not my money and I'm confident he'll be a success for us so it's all just numbers in the end. Adam, Downing and Henderson are all regarded as being some of the most creative players in the league, one of biggest problems has been breaking teams down and creating chances. We'll be creating from both wings there, as well as in deep midfield where it's expected Adam will play an Alonso-type role. Really, here should now be danger coming from all angles, and that's exactly what we need.

Just read an intreresting point in that we seem to be getting a lot of balance to the squad since Kenny came in. We've not really had left-footers in the team much but we've since signed Carroll, Adam and Downing to come.

I read that We are interest on Sturrige or Higuain from Real Madrid (there is going propably Tevez and Neymar) so they have to take off some player one of them can be Higuain !

I've also heard us linked with Sturridge, a good player and I'd be quite happy if we got him as well.

Could be a good deal, or not. 20mil is a lot, but then Henderson was 16, Jones who has played even less also. So a proven and consistent, reasonably young Prem player for 20mil isn't a lot in today's market.

For less than that money you can get Lamela, who I have no doubts that is going to be world class. Is 8 years younger than Downing, unproven in any big league but I honestly dont think that Downing is better than him. He has a lot more of pace and creativity, and he can also operate in the centre.

Waiting for Pipa to reply me than Liverpool had already taken a view to him and who am I to judge what Kenny Dalglish does in 3 .. 2 .. 1 ..

:ROLL:

It's pointless giving opinions on here for the most part, people are set in how they think and they refuse to change their opinion. And I fall into that as well. Kenny knows what he's doing, Matthew made some good posts up above to back that up as well. But still, we're all football managers at the end of the day and we can all do a better job.

Now I'll go and tell Alex Ferguson he's crazy for signing Ashley Young for £17m when he could've got Lamela for £10m. Fergie doesn't have a clue how to build a team, just like Kenny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamela is off to Roma for $20M anyway. The've snapped up this big talent.

And I think Downing is a much better player than most give him credit for. One of the best crossers in the league, good shooter, good creativity, very smart (much smarter than average English player), he makes a lot of chances and is a very effective player overall. Instead of doing stupid useless step-overs, whatever he does usually has end-product and with great aerial presence like Carroll in the team, it was vital that you bring in talented crossers/passers of the ball like Downing and Adam (especially from set-pieces) Always liked him since Boro days and the very impressive thing about him is that even though he's left-footed, he's actually pretty decent and utilizes his right-foot as well with effectiveness which not too many lefties can do.

:ROLL:

It's pointless giving opinions on here for the most part, people are set in how they think and they refuse to change their opinion. And I fall into that as well. Kenny knows what he's doing, Matthew made some good posts up above to back that up as well. But still, we're all football managers at the end of the day and we can all do a better job.

Now I'll go and tell Alex Ferguson he's crazy for signing Ashley Young for £17m when he could've got Lamela for £10m. Fergie doesn't have a clue how to build a team, just like Kenny.
First of all as PLF said he was sold in almost 20M. And second you are implying that I know Lamela from Football Manager which is not true. I know very well Lamela because Ive seen every match he has played during the last year, and in half of them I was in the stadium.

How have I implied that? I say football managers meaning we all think we know how to manage a football club, you've misinterpreted that I think.

It's all good and well seeing Lamela numerous times and I'm sure he's also been scouted by both Liverpool and United as both were looking for a winger. Yet neither went for him. Why? Both Kenny and Fergie know exactly how to build title-winning teams, yet they both went for two English wingers instead of Lamela.

From what I've read about our scouting process alone, we do more than scout based on ability. We look at the players professionalism, his workrate, adaptability, wage demands, hunger to play, how much of a disruption he might be in the dressing room, how he's going to fit in exactly with the squad and how his skills will complement others.

You've suggested that Lamela is more creative and can play in the middle. I've not seen him play but he sounds more like a Suarez kinda player, tricky and with an eye on the goal? Quite different to Downing, whos absolute main part of his game is pure wingplay and getting crosses in. And it seems to me that that is what Kenny, Clarke and Comolli want in the team as opposed to another Suarez.

Why aren't people complaining so much in the United thread about Young? Why aren't they saying they could've got X player instead? Because they trust their manager. He's got a track record and the Utd fans believe in his knowledge of the game and trust he'll get it right.

It'd be nice to see Kenny get some trust for what he's doing as well.

Waiting for Pipa to reply me than Liverpool had already taken a view to him and who am I to judge what Kenny Dalglish does in 3 .. 2 .. 1 ..

haha mate i honestly give up to tell you again what i think..you live in different dimension and your view on football is so different to mine that it would be ridicilous to try to explain..

wow lfc are not feckin around!

buying such creative players is a great move, forget the prices, we argue over fees like we know exactly how the deal works.

when was the last time lfc played with out and out wingers??

the strikers must be buzzing!

I have to admire Liverpool, they are really going for it. It is going to be an exciting league this season, I really can't wait :))

I wish Arsenal would spunk a bit of money like this and really make a statement to the rest of the league.

medicalll.jpg

How have I implied that? I say football managers meaning we all think we know how to manage a football club, you've misinterpreted that I think.

It's all good and well seeing Lamela numerous times and I'm sure he's also been scouted by both Liverpool and United as both were looking for a winger. Yet neither went for him. Why? Both Kenny and Fergie know exactly how to build title-winning teams, yet they both went for two English wingers instead of Lamela.

From what I've read about our scouting process alone, we do more than scout based on ability. We look at the players professionalism, his workrate, adaptability, wage demands, hunger to play, how much of a disruption he might be in the dressing room, how he's going to fit in exactly with the squad and how his skills will complement others.

You've suggested that Lamela is more creative and can play in the middle. I've not seen him play but he sounds more like a Suarez kinda player, tricky and with an eye on the goal? Quite different to Downing, whos absolute main part of his game is pure wingplay and getting crosses in. And it seems to me that that is what Kenny, Clarke and Comolli want in the team as opposed to another Suarez.

Why aren't people complaining so much in the United thread about Young? Why aren't they saying they could've got X player instead? Because they trust their manager. He's got a track record and the Utd fans believe in his knowledge of the game and trust he'll get it right.

It'd be nice to see Kenny get some trust for what he's doing as well.
Yes, that is true. Downing is a classic winger, while Lamela is more a Mata type of player than a Downing. But, if converted to a winger he could turn out to be one of the best wingers in the world, his dribbling and pace are something extraordinary.
Anyway, I rate Downing, I think he is a good player and, in my opinion, better than Ashley Young. But the fact that we are spending 20M in a player that is turning 27 next week, is a bit worrying.
As you said, it depends also in which contracts they are on. Maybe Henderson and Downing have a large fee and a not so big contract.

wow lfc are not feckin around!

buying such creative players is a great move, forget the prices, we argue over fees like we know exactly how the deal works.

when was the last time lfc played with out and out wingers??

the strikers must be buzzing!

See this? Me and Vaninizzle never really see eye to eye much, never really seen him do much apart from slate Liverpool and even he's more positive about what we're doing than some of our own fans! :LOL:

Think only yanks know how serious the new owners are. Their like George Bush every texans knew he will declare War w/o hesitation! Henry n Co. says it and will do it... Not sure why everyone talks about Suarez n Carroll that is old business.

Vann is a true gentleman dags...he's my favourite Man Utd fan.
Although Downing is very good, i personally rate Ashley Young higher.

:LMAO: What an idiot.

The 38,700 crowd that watched @LFC train in Malaysia today was greater than the attendance at 20 of the 22 Everton home games last season

I dunno why the heck did he come there with a Rooney shirt on, and he seemed dissapointed that he was "forced" to take off his shirt as a result, didn't he know where he was?

If Everton would play in Asia it would also be possible that they have a bigger attendance than in 20 of their 22 home matches.
Can you really imagine that somebody takes the time and the trouble to search these facts...i think this guy is far more pathetic than he wants Everton to be. He should get a life.

I admire Everton, they are club that are performing very well and their manager is perhaps the best manager in the EPL.

Back
Top Bottom