Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

diego-wolfsburg1.jpg

something tells me he end up in England..

He's ours for the taking :SMUG:

I remember Fergie going for him last year. I wonder if he's still interested in him.

Phenomenal talent. Fergie would straighten him up good so he stops being stupid and wasting it! He's been a disgrace over last couple years since move away from Werder Bremen.

Rumours say he's like to return to Brazil though... :(

:LOL:

We'll see what happens. I've never seen him play, only heard good things so I don't know if he's worth the money. If Kenny and Comolli think he's worth £13m then they'll bid too, if not then I'll go with their judgement.

Sammy Lee has left, rumoured to be joining West Ham.

I've been reading this last few pages and the debate about the blind faith most Liverpool fans have in Dalglish.
I think both parties made fair points.
Yes Dalglish did a good job at Liverpool (to be fair: much better than i had anticipated). The circumstances under which he had to work were much better than those for Hodgson. Positive is the fact that it is undeniable that Liverpool played better football under Dalglish. From what i saw (and that is only MOTD and one - bad - match against Braga) Liverpool were one of the most attractive teams at the end of the season.

Stil i also think Dalglish still has to prove himself. Of course he should not be sacked (but nobody ever said this in here Dags), but i'm not convinced by some of his (alledged? this is a difficult word) targets like Adam, Wayne Bridge, Connor Wickham. I think a club like Liverpool desperately need some foreign flair...you have Suarez, but you need a flair player in midfield and a good defender who can also begin attacks. IMO your central defens is weak (apart from Aggar, but he is injured all the time).

Wayne Bridge? First I've heard of that one.

Agree we need a centre-back, As well as a left-back, wingers and possibly a striker.

So you're saying to sack a proven manager based on speculation?

No I'm not saying sack him, but I am saying his (or maybe it's Commolli's) transfer policies are disconcerting.

We haven't even got a third of the way through the transfer window, we've signed one player, sold nobody. But you're saying he should be sacked.

I'm not saying he should be sacked. But I will say this, if he's agreeing to these transfers judgement will pass in the first few months of next season, i.e. August, September, October. This is Kenny's team, he's making massive changes to it this summer. All of the departures this summer are not forced departures - they don't involve players who want to move away (as was the case with Torres in Jan, or Rieria a few years ago). If the new signings don't settle and you look light in midfield he can have no excuses as he has made these changes. The fans wont be able to hide behind an excuse of, "it's Benitez's/Hodgson's team". He's made a bold move in changing Liverpool's transfer strategy (i.e. foreign out / English in), he's deviated from the previous strategy and so if it fails, it will be his failure.

Let's forget his achievements as a player and a manager, he's being linked with players coming in and players leaving, SACK HIM!

Again I'm not saying sack him, but I am saying judge him through his teams performance, in the same way other managers who've radically changed the team (e.g. Souness) were judged. His achievements as a player and a manager, while remarkable, aren't a guarentee of future sucesses. You shouldn't give a player or a manager more time because of what they did 20-25 years ago. They should be judged on what they have just done and do currently.

Kendall's second spell at your neighbours was a disaster but they let him continue because of the achievements in his first, which was a massive mistake. Ardilles was fine player for Tottenham but a hopeless manager. Staunton was a great player for Ireland but the worst manager they had in a generation. Lennon was a good player for Celtic but as a manager he's not of the same level as O'Neill nor even Strachan. Roy Keane was a good player, but looks like a hopeless manager. These are all British examples, there are countless examples on the continent too, but I'm guessing you wont have heard of them. For example, Michel was one of Real Madrid's best players in the late 80s and early 90s, he was the star of the Spanish team in Italia 90 but was a hopeless manager last season at Getafe, and only just avioded relegation on the last day. Leonardo achieved many things with Milan as a player but nothing as a manager.

Seriously though, which team do you support?

An irrelevant question, but suffice to say they don't play in your premier league.

I fully agree that any success/failure will lie at Kenny's door once he's changed the team up, that's to be expected. But to be talking about him getting more time than other managers due to rumours in the media? Time for what?

I just find it astounding that people are talking about him being a success or failure based on 3 weeks of a transfer window and one signing.

It's got nothing to do with giving someone time due to their reputation. It's to do with giving someone respect to know that they've done the job before and done it well. They know how to manage a football club. Dalglish knows perfectly well what kind of players Liverpool need and what the fans want to see. Contrast that to Hodgson who had Liverpool playing abysmal football that was nowhere near what Liverpool are known for, or what the fans want to see.

Those players you mention and go on to say they didn't do a good job as a manager. That's true. But Dalglish actually has done a good job as a manager before and there's no reason whatsoever to think he can't do it now.

It's not asking for time for Dalglish, it's saying that people need to realise he knows Liverpool FC better than any of us. He's been there AND done it. This isn't some second-rate "flavour of the year" manager who's won hardly anything over his 35~ year managerial career. He knows what he's done.

It's shocking that people are so quick to judge Dalglish now. People tried to slate him for being "out of the game" and he wouldn't have a clue about the "modern game". He does a great job. So now people need a new stick to beat him with, so they turn to slating him because of his supposed transfer targets?

If the players that he actually signs underwhelm some people when they sign, that's fine. Be underwhelmed. But at least let them kick a ball for us and see how they fit into our system before judging whether the players are not good enough.

I'm pretty sure that your club, that won't be named, has made signings where you've been underwhelmed but they've turned out well? Every club has done that, every single one.

And to think I had a reputation for moaning on here :LOL: I'm actually trying to ask people to stop moaning, calm down, relax and let a proven professional manager get on with his job. Instead, it seems people are falling over in this state of panic and disgust that they think they know better than Kenny Dalglish because they got Stevenage Borough to the Premier League on Football Manager.

Alex Ferguson was after Adam in January, possibly still interested now. Same with Harry Redknapp. Why aren't people so disgusted with them for looking at "Free Kick Adam"? A player who has nothing to his game apart from free kicks, yet has been seriously considered by the Premier League champions and a Champions League team.

Which brings me to another point. We're not in the Champions League. We're not in the Europa League. We're not likely to have the attraction to go out and sign Messi or anyone like that because they want to play on the biggest stage possible, and we can't offer that.

I don't think we'll sign Mata, not unless he is REALLY sold on the club by Kenny and Reina (who's already spoken to him and tried to convince him). He was already a top talent, and is even more on the radar now. There'll be teams who are playing in the CL now that will want him and will pay massive wages to take him. We can't offer him the CL football and we're cutting right back on wages. So why would he choose us? Why would most of these superstars that people expect us to sign choose us?

We're not a massive attraction right now. We've got our name, we've got a great manager, we've got a good project going on. But we're not in Europe, we're not likely to challenge for the title next season. We can only sign players within reason. Like I say, this isn't Football Manager.

/rant over :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Liverpool will do really well next season, mostly because they're not in the CL. If they also exit the FA Cup on the early side, they'll have essentially 1 match a week for the season, with a squad that is used to way more than that.

The true test of any manager/ team is to succeed both in Europe and in the league. Very, very few teams have managed that, and that's what I personally find most impressive.

(I hate to see the CL won by a team that basically gives up on the domestic trophy, and focuses solely on that)

On the other hand, who actually knows who we're looking at signing? These "ITK's" on Twitter have proved to be useless, the journalists seem to say things and then backtrack a day later. Nobody seems to actually know much, and that's the way it should be.

On the other hand, who actually knows who we're looking at signing? These "ITK's" on Twitter have proved to be useless, the journalists seem to say things and then backtrack a day later. Nobody seems to actually know much, and that's the way it should be.

No it's not. It's fkin annoying. Bring on some transfers!!!!!

:LOL:

It's far better than the days of Liverpool leaking all of our targets in the press, allowing other teams to get in there before us and the selling team driving the price up more and more because of our known interest.

I miss the days of looking forward to Andrei Voronin being our saviour, looking awesome in pre-season....and that was that!

Hopefully we'll be able to try and attract a better player than having to make do with another Voronin this time!

With that said, let's go out and sign Eto, Villa and Pato. Because I'm sure they'd LOVE to join us right now :)

If we manage to work with what we have in our reserves as good as untill now, we soon will not need any major signings.

oh and Kenny is perfect for Liverpool, that´s why he got 3 years deal.

Wickham's gone to Sunderland, £8m rising to £13m. Obviously Ngog won't be going to Sunderland which is a shame.

definetly the first one beachryan + we would not pay more than he´s worth now..

Yep, seems to be a case of us not willing to pay so much so didn't bother matching Sunderland's bid.

MirrorAnderson David Anderson
Blackpool have paved way for Adam to join Liverpool by signing Bojan Djordjic on a free to replace him.

I fully agree that any success/failure will lie at Kenny's door once he's changed the team up, that's to be expected. But to be talking about him getting more time than other managers due to rumours in the media? Time for what?

I just find it astounding that people are talking about him being a success or failure based on 3 weeks of a transfer window and one signing.

It's got nothing to do with giving someone time due to their reputation. It's to do with giving someone respect to know that they've done the job before and done it well. They know how to manage a football club. Dalglish knows perfectly well what kind of players Liverpool need and what the fans want to see. Contrast that to Hodgson who had Liverpool playing abysmal football that was nowhere near what Liverpool are known for, or what the fans want to see.

Those players you mention and go on to say they didn't do a good job as a manager. That's true. But Dalglish actually has done a good job as a manager before and there's no reason whatsoever to think he can't do it now.

It's not asking for time for Dalglish, it's saying that people need to realise he knows Liverpool FC better than any of us. He's been there AND done it. This isn't some second-rate "flavour of the year" manager who's won hardly anything over his 35~ year managerial career. He knows what he's done.

It's shocking that people are so quick to judge Dalglish now. People tried to slate him for being "out of the game" and he wouldn't have a clue about the "modern game". He does a great job. So now people need a new stick to beat him with, so they turn to slating him because of his supposed transfer targets?

If the players that he actually signs underwhelm some people when they sign, that's fine. Be underwhelmed. But at least let them kick a ball for us and see how they fit into our system before judging whether the players are not good enough.

I'm pretty sure that your club, that won't be named, has made signings where you've been underwhelmed but they've turned out well? Every club has done that, every single one.

And to think I had a reputation for moaning on here :LOL: I'm actually trying to ask people to stop moaning, calm down, relax and let a proven professional manager get on with his job. Instead, it seems people are falling over in this state of panic and disgust that they think they know better than Kenny Dalglish because they got Stevenage Borough to the Premier League on Football Manager.

Alex Ferguson was after Adam in January, possibly still interested now. Same with Harry Redknapp. Why aren't people so disgusted with them for looking at "Free Kick Adam"? A player who has nothing to his game apart from free kicks, yet has been seriously considered by the Premier League champions and a Champions League team.

Which brings me to another point. We're not in the Champions League. We're not in the Europa League. We're not likely to have the attraction to go out and sign Messi or anyone like that because they want to play on the biggest stage possible, and we can't offer that.

I don't think we'll sign Mata, not unless he is REALLY sold on the club by Kenny and Reina (who's already spoken to him and tried to convince him). He was already a top talent, and is even more on the radar now. There'll be teams who are playing in the CL now that will want him and will pay massive wages to take him. We can't offer him the CL football and we're cutting right back on wages. So why would he choose us? Why would most of these superstars that people expect us to sign choose us?

We're not a massive attraction right now. We've got our name, we've got a great manager, we've got a good project going on. But we're not in Europe, we're not likely to challenge for the title next season. We can only sign players within reason. Like I say, this isn't Football Manager.

/rant over :LOL:
Why you have to either be with Kenny or be a football manager player ?
About Fergui I doubt he is seriously interested. If he was, dont you think he would be trying to sign him now ? When we were close on Jones he went and signed him, but now that we are about to sign Adam he is doing nothing.
About me calling him free kick Adam, i think it is a fair adjective, this season he only had 2 assists and 1 goal from open play.

Last edited:

:YAWN:

I'm fed up of repeating myself over, and over, and over again. Bloody hell.

Kenny Dalglish has won titles before. He knows what he's doing. It's not a case of for or against Kenny, but some people are acting like this is his first attempt at management and he doesn't have a clue what to look for in a player.

I really do get fed up with this forum sometimes, it really does feel like :BRICK:

It makes sense if their willing to be squad players actually, I think that could be the theory, get English talent who are more interested to be playing for Liverpool and will stick around even if their not regulars.

Back
Top Bottom