Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I Just Can't Get Enough!!)

Meireles is a solid top 4 player. Yes, he's 28 but he looks capable of regressing his game into a deeper role a la van Bommel as he gets older and loses that power running from deep.

Im getting a bit tired of your free interpretation and the fact that you put words in my mind that I didnt say. I think I I havent brought back the Aquilani topic for a long time. This is a Meireles vs Adam discussion but somehow you manage to also make it about Aquilani.

Just like we were all tired of your constant admiration for Aquilani and now your constant bashing of Adam. We get it, you don't need to keep slating Adam, we know you don't rate him. Kenny does, he knows better than any of us, how about a little faith eh?

Meireles is a solid top 4 player. Yes, he's 28 but he looks capable of regressing his game into a deeper role a la van Bommel as he gets older and loses that power running from deep.

I'm not sure Raul suits defending too well, he shirked an awful lot of tackles last season where I'd expect any midfielder to put a put in. Far more suited to an attacking role but not sure he'd be suited to an anchor role personally.

I'm not sure Raul suits defending too well, he shirked an awful lot of tackles last season where I'd expect any midfielder to put a put in. Far more suited to an attacking role but not sure he'd be suited to an anchor role personally.
He's looked surprisingly good in that role whenever I've seen him, even though it's not his favourite position.

It's a bit bizarre, he was Portugal's most advanced central midfielder at the World Cup and now it seems he's the preferred choice in the holding role for country. Even for you lot he's played on either flank as a sort of auxiliary winger. He's probably a victim of his own versatility.

The point is, we shouldn't be selling one of our star performers from last season who has at least 3 years of good in him. We moan about lack of depth, but want to sell players like him?

Just like we were all tired of your constant admiration for Aquilani and now your constant bashing of Adam. We get it, you don't need to keep slating Adam, we know you don't rate him. Kenny does, he knows better than any of us, how about a little faith eh?
I do rate Adam, I think he is a good player but no way he is better than Meireles.

Maybe Kenny wants to give English players a chance, good ones from the lesser clubs. Maybe he has an eye for striking a good balance. Remember he managed Blackburn and won the title with them. I'd wait to see whats going to happen next season. I want to see what he'll do from start to finish.

So can someone start reposting the Twitter rumours (don't tweet myself), even if they are nonsense atleast it will be more enjoyable to talk about then constantly see people moaning about the club trying to buy the leagues last season best performers!

bensmith_Times Ben Smith
#LFC expect to complete deals for Charlie Adam/Stewart Downing by Monday. (via @TonyEvansTimes)

bensmith_Times Ben Smith
#LFC will pay £8m for Adam, £16m for Dowming. Meireles may be allowed to leave if right cash offer comes in.

bensmith_Times Ben Smith
Seems Juan Mata is receptive to a move to #LFC. Through sheer force of will you lot are forcing a 'twansfer'

BrianDurand56 Brian Durand
Seems like there is a lot of activity at Melwood this morning. Let's just wait and see...

Last edited by a moderator:

if we could sign Mata, it would be the singing of this summer for us.

Funny, if Adam had been signed by Hodgson he'd get no end of stick for it but if Kenny does it...nothing.

Anyways if you get Mata I'll be severely displeased, he's excellent.

The difference is huge and it would be definetly not the same if Hodgson signed him and that we are signing him now..

If Hodgson signed him, we would ask WHY? becouse he show his class DURING the PL season.. Kenny might sign him AFTER the great season he proved he can be usefull member of any squad..

Then, Hodgson did his damage, he didn´t give a chance to Aquilani + he bought players that Kenny didn´t play (Poulsen) or those who he sended away (Konchesky) right after he was apointed..

don´t compare not comparable (Hodgson and Kenny) as i said some posts above...

nah, if he continued his stupid interviews, the fans would start to boo him..

he was a disasteur.. in many other ways..

(hint: famous draw..)

Getting rid of both Maxi and Merieles in the same window (which might happen) sounds like madness. They might be old but they are established international players, who have proven themselves at a number of clubs abroad and have settled into playing for Liverpool.

If Downing turns out to be a turkey, Henderson takes a while to settle in, and Gerrard gets an injury your midfield could look a bit dodgy.

King Kenny might be a great team motivator, but some of his signings have been a bit questionable. At Newcastle he brought average British players like Gary Speed, or Pearce and Rush (both too old in 1996/7) or not very good foreign players (e.g. Pistone, Andreas Anderson) and sold some of Newcastle's best attacking players (e.g. Ginola and Ferdinand). Some of his last buys at Liverpool before leaving in the early 1990s were Jimmy Case and David Speedie, neither of whom set the world alight.

I think if the board want to let him take risks buy signing players that's one thing, but to have him sell a lot of established good-performing players just seems like an unecessary risk. Why not keep them for another 6 months or year until the purchased players settle into the team ? It would not cost that much and the financial rewards of getting into the CL could easily offset it.

Tnx Dags,

8mil for Adam is a good buy imo, 16mil for Downing is....not sure. Never really liked him tbh, but as I mentioned before Reira wasn't anything special but made the team better. Hopefully Mata will sign aswell, who is now away with Spain for the u21's.

Still more than two months left of the window, for all we know we could be selling Meireles and buying Banega or someone else. None of us know what the plans are.

Getting rid of both Maxi and Merieles in the same window (which might happen) sounds like madness. They might be old but they are established international players, who have proven themselves at a number of clubs abroad and have settled into playing for Liverpool.

If Downing turns out to be a turkey, Henderson takes a while to settle in, and Gerrard gets an injury your midfield could look a bit dodgy.

King Kenny might be a great team motivator, but some of his signings have been a bit questionable. At Newcastle he brought average British players like Gary Speed, or Pearce and Rush (both too old in 1996/7) or not very good foreign players (e.g. Pistone, Andreas Anderson) and sold some of Newcastle's best attacking players (e.g. Ginola and Ferdinand). Some of his last buys at Liverpool before leaving in the early 1990s were Jimmy Case and David Speedie, neither of whom set the world alight.

I think if the board want to let him take risks buy signing players that's one thing, but to have him sell a lot of established good-performing players just seems like an unecessary risk. Why not keep them for another 6 months or year until the purchased players settle into the team ? It would not cost that much and the financial rewards of getting into the CL could easily offset it.

good post, but how i see what we are doing now is to build a team of players who are young + quality + capable of being with the club for many years...soround them with other PL proven players and some TOP quality buys...then adapt the reserve players to the first team..

lot of people seem to forget what quality Liverpool have in their youth teams.. just look at the young players we have at the club right now..

IF we are about to sell Maxi and Meireles..the reason is to stabilise the club in terms of making the squad younger and remove the high earners who don´t deserve their salary or don´t perform... we buy players who might raise eyebrows, but in the same time they are not high earners and are capable of being usefull for the team in whole season, not just in some matches..

if we were buying without thinking, why would we then not continue our talks with Marveaux over some thousands pounds i think.. after we were almost done with him moving to us..he was at the stadium sitting and watching a game some weeks ago...

he was not injured or something, this transfer collapsed becouse of money.. wich indicates we will not risk on player who might get injury anymore...we won´t sign a second Kewell that we need to keep at the club and give money for nothing..

something chainged and i belive it chainged to good..

our squad was already VERY thin this season compared to other teams in quantity but also in quality...if we plan to get rid of the old not perfoming players that´s ok, we might buy some + promote more players than usually from reserves..

but with possible Meireles sell, i belive it´s not about questioning the players quality..but with chainged view on how we are going to make progress in future and how this team is going to chainge in view of salarys vs. performance vs. future grow...also in view of tactics that Kenny Dalglsish prefeurs and plans to teach.

or it might be Kenny don´t like Meireles...

pick for yourself what you think is true..

not sure about Banega..but that guy who is apparently very close to the club said (about our summer transfer targets) just today:

Adam, Henderson, Downing, Jones, Young. Mata. Wickham.

We lost 2, Dann looking unlikely but others all serious..

I read something that Adam its on melwood for medical test not sure how true is this but at the last this weekend we gonna sign with him i guess

not sure about Banega..but that guy who is apparently very close to the club said (about our summer transfer targets) just today:

Not convinced he knows anything. He said on 9th June (or so) that Adam was all but done. But apparently we only put in a bid yesterday?

If you make enough guesses, you'll get one right eventually.

yeah, don´t think i follow his words like 100% truth, but it basicly is this players that were mentioned or linked to us mostly..

now he didn´t mentioned any Left back, wich i doubt we are not after..

but i strongly belive we vere after Jones as a new CB untill United came in.. + we were linked with Young long time, untill they bought him for whatever reason..

anyway, the Adam deal he also explained there is some issues with the owner of Blackpool not wanting to sell for the price we want.. etc.. i belive we would have signed him already if there wasn´t this issues..

he never mentiones what we do with our loaned players so i guess he´s not that close to the club after all.. not sure tbh.

If we did get Banega and Mata, i'd be a happy chappy

If you got Banega I think I'd cry. I've been in full on transfer muppet mode about him for the past week and a half.

Must've seen every Youtube comp. video there is (and as we all know they are the barometer with which to measure every potential signing...).

Absolutely no noise about him signing for anyone though apart from on fan forums, bit of a strange one considering how talented he is. Probably wouldn't cost that much either.

Why not bro? He would cost a lot. Just like Mata, he's a beast and so young and has long-term contract. All the requirements to make him an expensive (But still worthwhile purchase!)

But yeah, I don't see him leaving Valencia this summer anyway. Not unless a crazy offer came in.

Downing doesn't actually fit into the FSG plans really, just read he is already 26. So he is at his peak and won't gain any value...

Back
Top Bottom