Liverpool Thread

damn i miss the game
well i see the line ups and see 3 right backs there carragher josemi and finnan
can anyone tell me who played where in that game?
and also who played on right wing??

martin_tamb said:
damn i miss the game
well i see the line ups and see 3 right backs there carragher josemi and finnan
can anyone tell me who played where in that game?
and also who played on right wing??

Finnan was on the right wing and took all free kicks and corners from that side. Carra played dentre back with Hyypia and Josemi was right back. What was good to see was that everyone stuck to their task and nobody was wandering round the pitch looking lost

kms53 said:
is finnan leaving or what??
HOOORAAAAY MURPHY IS GONE.. MURPHY IS GONE!!

:x :x Admittedly, Murphy isn't a big name player and is not one who is nice to watch but he got the job done. I really do think though that Liverpool really need some british players at the heart of the team especially for when they play in the premiership as theres gonna be times where u gonna really need the passion.....

kms53 said:

Finnan looked impressive on the right wing and as I said before he took all our set pieces from the right hand side, maybe once we sign a right winger he will be on his way but for the time being hes ok by me

rockykabir said:
kms53 said:

:x :x Admittedly, Murphy isn't a big name player and is not one who is nice to watch but he got the job done. I really do think though that Liverpool really need some british players at the heart of the team especially for when they play in the premiership as theres gonna be times where u gonna really need the passion.....

yep i agree, he is a very useful player for liverpool
wasn't a star but he played well when needed
charlton is lucky to have him

Good performance last night, watching Benitez was almost exciting as watching the match, I like the way he wanted us to score more goals.

It was good of Benitez to give the youngsters a run out, he should really get rid of Diao.

REDS TO FAVOUR MORIENTES IF OWEN DEPARTS
Team Talk 11 August 2004

Liverpool are likely to favour Fernando Morientes over Samuel Eto'o as part of any Michael Owen move to Real Madrid.

The Spanish club are prepared to pay £10m for the 24-year-old, who is now in the final 10 months of his Anfield contract having stalled over an extension for a year, plus either Eto'o or Morientes to make the eventual package worth £25m.

Benitez is a known admirer of Eto'o, having tried to take him to The Mestalla when manager of Valencia, but his availability is complicated by the fact Real Mallorca own a 50% stake in the player and Morientes would present a more natural foil to £14m Cisse.

One Bernabeu asset who is certainly of interest to the Liverpool manager is rising teenage star Juanfran.

The right-wing understudy to Luis Figo at Madrid, who made just five senior appearances last season but confirmed his promise as one of the brightest young talents in Spain, would fit Benitez's criteria as reshapes his midfield in the wake of Danny Murphy's departure to Charlton and Vladimir Smicer's long-term injury.

But with Liverpool maintaining their silence over the Owen affair as delicate negotiations continue, any additions beyond Real Sociedad's Xabi Alonso are likely to be kept on hold until the striker's future is resolved.

How old is Morientes again?

EDIT: Soz, just found out that he's about 28. It seems quite a good deal if it goes through cos he'll prob give us 4-5 good years (possibly).

That rightwinger looks quite interesting...... but SWPhilips will be top of my list :D

Well, my first post in here, but since I went to the stadium last night here in Graz, I just wanted to share my experiences with you guys. I think I were the only Austrian, who went there with a Kewell Jersey, but nevermind....

IT WAS SIMPLY FANTASTIC. Know why? I was one of those (about) 400 Liverpool supporters who chanted louder, than the 15000 fans of GAK. You guys are really brillant, yeah, you are really FANS. No violence, no problems, nothing.

The first half of the game was really amazing to watch, Baros went from one side to the other one again and again -really good teamwork by the Czech (perhaps only we Austrians notice that :D). Kewell had his fun with Standfest and Gerrard and Hamann dominated the midfield battles. After two really good saves by GAK keeper Schranz, it was time for Gerrard to smash the ball home. Even the GAK fans paid tribute to that goal.

The second half was a little bit more balanced and Pool didn't really put 100% in it. Too bad Gerrards volley was disallowed due to a foul by Cisse. After a few more good stops by Schranz, it was time for Cisse and Kewell to set up Gerrard again- no chance for the keeper 2-0.

It wasn't really a game where Liverpool showed us all the potential they got, but it was really entertaining to see the British way of soccer. Especially the midfield with Finnan and Kewell on the wings and Hamann and Gerrard in the middle was quite astonishing. I can not remember one one-on-one situation that Hamann lost for example. He is just the kind of guy that every team needs to have, not eye-catching for the fans, but very important indeed for Pool.

I really hope, that I get a second chance to see Liverpool in a few years again here in Graz. For me it was just a sports-night I will never forget!

Nice post WCWhasser, thanks for the pitchside info!
Sounds good for the new season.

Just in case you wanna see some pics I made, here are the links: (and yeah, I know that my cam's shit :D --> minimize the pics a bit and they are "watchable", nothing more, nothing less imo)

nice pic so far...

Where's Owen? :D

Again, Pre-Game

Seconds before the game starts

First Corner

They never really got Harry nearby them--> problem :D

Celebrating the 1-0

I love all of you :D

Corner Pic again........btw. every Corner Pool took was quite dangerous

The jersey I wore- yeah, I am proud about it :D

Hope you liked some of the pics..

Thanx for the pics WCWhasser, its nice to hear that LFC is appreciated around the world :D. I was watchin the game on the tiny kitchen tv, and even then I was shouting my lungs out so to be there must have been amazing :mrgreen:

Good to see this topic alive again :salute:

NIce pics and great post WC Whasser. I stayed up late to catch the highlights on FSW news. Gerrard's firs strike was deadly. Impressive he managed to keep it under the bar, as he was leaning back and away from the ball when he cracked it, which usually lifts the ball over. His second was clinical.

For any americans here, FSW is carying Liverpool's opening game live this weekend. =D>

Ghazi, u see the second goal by Gerrard that was disallowed by the linesman?!

I remember trying to watch the sport highlights in the US and it was blatant how much they cut out :x Ghazi, u should get BBC america, they'll prob show Match of the Day which by far is the best footy prog at the mo imho :mrgreen:

rockykabir said:

That was rubbish, Cisse foot was hardly high :roll:

He scored them brilliantly. The first was a 35 yard screamer and the second was a 10 yard shot floowing a run by Cisse who passed to Kewell who then moved the ball to Gerrard who lashed it home

rockykabir said:

I remember trying to watch the sport highlights in the US and it was blatant how much they cut out :x Ghazi, u should get BBC america, they'll prob show Match of the Day which by far is the best footy prog at the mo imho :mrgreen:

unfortunately, BBC america does not show match of the day or any live football at all here. All we get is a highlights program on monday.
But FoxSW does show 2 live games over the weekend plus highlights.
Liverpool's game is live, but it's at 5:30am here in California, I'll record it and watch it later.

Morientes came on as sub tonight for Real in their champions league qualifier and scored twice. So i can't see him being part of the deal now as he is cup tied, the same way Owen would have been if he'd played last night.

but i think etoo is leaving for barca http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=218784&CPID=23&CLID=178&lid=&title=Barca+claim+Eto'o+victory...
i read it in planetfootball.com... gerrard's screamer came into the corner or in the center??

i dont think we will get an attacker in exchange for owen... because etoo seems to be leaving... and morientes is cup tied so we wont get any help from him in the champs. lg... so maybe rafa will just take more money instead of a player..

rockykabir said:

They didnt show that non-goal but i heard it was a beauty. :x

I am surprised that a team with a following like liverpool does not provide a video stream of their games for a subscription fee. Am i wrong? LFCtv only has the audio available.

kms53 said:
but i think etoo is leaving for barca http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=218784&CPID=23&CLID=178&lid=&title=Barca+claim+Eto'o+victory...
i read it in planetfootball.com... gerrard's screamer came into the corner or in the center??

Left corner. It was touched from the left wing towards the center. gerrard sized up the situation, planted his left foot and fired a missile on his first touch. Gorgeous goal.

The moment I heard Morientes scored, I realized that he likely would not be coming to Anfield. Eto'o has a hard on for barca and does not wanna be anywhere else.

Maybe they'll send us Beckham! :mrgreen:

ghazi said:
rockykabir said:

They didnt show that non-goal but i heard it was a beauty. :x

I am surprised that a team with a following like liverpool does not provide a video stream of their games for a subscription fee. Am i wrong? LFCtv only has the audio available.

The website has streaming video available to subscribers but during pre season the service has been decidedly dodgy with only a few hundred people being able to log on to actually watch, the rest have had to make do with audio. If I remember rightly there was a website link someone posted a while ago which gave you links to streaming video of some games, maybe someone can dig it out

what the hell is going on? Reports today say we'll have to settle for a cash only deal of 10 million??
Very messy Michael, very messy.

Its a really fucked up situation, I wish someone at the club would come out and make an official announcement on the whole Owen situation

I personally don't think Owen is going. I also think it was mind-games from Benitez when he left him out of the team for the Champions league qualifier.

Some quotes that were "released" by the Austrian press today.

(I try to translate them, not easy, but anyway)

"In contrast to the American-tour Liverpool didn't make any faults yesterday. I only counted 2 balls in the whole game that were badly passed. We have got to say thanks to Andi, without him, Liverpool could have scored 2 or 3 goals more than they did." <-- GAK coach Walter Schachner said (Andi Schranz= goalkeeper)

"Liverpool plays a real good system, just as usually the GAK does.... but Liverpool is playing it one or two levels higher than we do. But well, we got a yearly-budget of 8 millions and they can afford a player like Cisse for 21 millions easily. I mean, there has got to be some difference..." Andi Schranz, by far the best GAK player, said.

And even our national-team coach was impressed by Steven Gerrard. "24 days before the game Austria vs. England we're all afraid of Steven "The Hammer" Gerrard."

Back
Top Bottom