Liverpool Thread

STR said:
I wonder if this Owen to Real business is indicating Perez has given up on Vieira?

Personally, I'd take 10 million and Morientes for Owen without hesitation.

i think it's real.... and ive heard it's either 10 + morientes... or 10 + eto'o.... i hope we got eto'o and 10 mil... because he's younger... and i think more talented!

there should b a link in the official website to contact rafa... or to give transfer targets...

There are the forums on the official site but I doubt any of the staff actually read them. I would prefer Morientes meself, he looks like he could handle himself in the Prem

CWright said:
Hasnt the new manager already expressed his concern at the small size of the squad? I really hope the guy knows what hes doing but at the mo its worrying me slightly

I think he knows what he's doin C.

Sounds like he's taking no shit and he's got the credentials.

I reckon your on for a top 3 finish this year.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
CWright said:
Hasnt the new manager already expressed his concern at the small size of the squad? I really hope the guy knows what hes doing but at the mo its worrying me slightly

I think he knows what he's doin C.

Sounds like he's taking no shit and he's got the credentials.

I reckon your on for a top 3 finish this year.

And at the expense of Man Utd too? Gutted.

I do have my uppermost trust in Benitez. If Owen goes, I think this signifies a turning point in Liverpool's recent history. For the past 3-4 years, its been obvious that a lot of the play has been based on the runs made by Owen - and when he was injured, it meant bad times for anfield :eh:

I reckon Benitez wants to place more emphasis on team play rather than on one particular player - and he's brave enough to make the harsh, but necessary, decisions......

rockykabir said:
I do have my uppermost trust in Benitez. If Owen goes, I think this signifies a turning point in Liverpool's recent history. For the past 3-4 years, its been obvious that a lot of the play has been based on the runs made by Owen - and when he was injured, it meant bad times for anfield :eh:

I reckon Benitez wants to place more emphasis on team play rather than on one particular player - and he's brave enough to make the harsh, but necessary, decisions......

good point, everything GH did was centred around thw wee welsh one.

Benitez is defo an old school type manager, what he says goes.

I've got some scouse mates and they are well pleased with him, one of them went to the states and has been raving about Biscan in midflield, Benitez apparently said to Biscan he's not a CB and that he's more suited in midfield. Benitiz also told Kewell that he wont be playing upfront or the middle, he told him he's a left winger so thats where he'll play.

Yeah I have some concerns that our squad lacks a bit of depth for now.

Morientes would be a great signing suited to Benitez style of play dropping off Cisse to link up with the midefielders and so on. We've already got Cisse so there's no need for Eto'o.

But anyway i'll look forward to tonight, plus as we know if Owen doesn't play then....

cal-neva said:
Gazz22 said:
Looks like you lot are getting Xabi Alonso if rumours are to be believed.

Yes it looks like we'll get this guy within the next few days.

http://liverpool.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=890&p=2&stid=8355873

So what do we know about Alonso? I remember him in Euro 2004 but dont remember him being amazing, whats the scoop on him?

He is one of the best young defensive midfielders. There were rumours of him going to Real Madrid not so long ago.

So he's a defensive midfielder? so he'll sit on the middle with Stevie G? Who will play on the right?

Dug up some info on Alonso:

Young central midfielder who took the Liga by storm last season, performing to a high standard week in and week out as Sociedad finished runners-up in the Championship race to Real Madrid.

A combination of fighting spirit, incisive passing and leadership. His father Periko Alonso was a midfield warrior for Sociedad, Barcelona and Spain.

POSITION: Midfield
CAPS: 8
GOALS: 0
CLUB: Real Sociedad
BIRTHDATE: November 25 1981

cal-neva said:
So he's a defensive midfielder? so he'll sit on the middle with Stevie G? Who will play on the right?

he wasn't really a defensive midfield, he's a central midfield with a playmaker attitude, similar to xavi and pirlo

i guess he and hamann in the middle and gerrard on the right, or some people say josemi are equally good in full back or wing position
doesnt really know a lot bout him yet

I hate to bring it up again but FoxSports has mentioned a rumor (again) that Liverpool are still trying to nail (please Allah!! [-o< :mrgreen: ) SW Phillips from ManCity to man the wing.

I know Keegan has told everyone to fuck off and that he wont part with SWP, but the fact is ManCity has no $$ and selling him (or Anelka to Monaco) might be the only way to raise some bling bling.

I say get rid of Owen. His style does not match the new team concept I saw from the boyz in the US, or the style of Rafa's teamball. Cisse and Baros up front would be great with Xabi behind them, Kewell/Riise on the left and ?? on the right with Gerrard behind them holding down the bidness!

Only problem is that I liked what i saw of the murphy-Cisse partnership on the right from the US games. They seemed to have played together for years.

i heard that one of real madrids ex top players, cant remember who, said that when Real madrid where interested with in Alonso and Vieira, he apparently said he would buy alonso, because he is more talented and it able to create more on the ball.

Wow........a potential attack force:

SW Philips-------Xavi/Biscan?--------Gerrard----------Kewell

------------Cisse---------Et'oo/Morientes-------------

=P~

But defence/subs is still a worry for me - I'm just getting this feeling that Benitez has got sumthin up his sleeves (Ayala anyone?)

:D :D :D :D :D

We are still being linked with Shaun Wright-Phillips here too, its been an ongoing rumour for a while now. Who knows if it will happen.

By the way Owen is starting on the bench for us tonight, if he doesnt come on at all that will leave him free to play for another club in the Champs League

CWright said:
We are still being linked with Shaun Wright-Phillips here too, its been an ongoing rumour for a while now. Who knows if it will happen.

By the way Owen is starting on the bench for us tonight, if he doesnt come on at all that will leave him free to play for another club in the Champs League
m8 i think benitez is just resting owen because of the clash against the spurs...

CWright said:

I thought players had to sign before last Thursday or something to be eligible for the CL? That's what the situation was with Vieira anyway....

Wright Phillips would be a cracking signing for you lot.

hutch said:
CWright said:

I thought players had to sign before last Thursday or something to be eligible for the CL? That's what the situation was with Vieira anyway....

Wright Phillips would be a cracking signing for you lot.

Yes, to be eligible to play in the CL qualification 3rd round.

I've heard Alonso was one of the stars of the Real Sociedad team that came 2nd in La Liga two seasons ago.
He's more of a central midfielder who controls the flow of the game. Maybe him and Gerrard would start, with Biscan and Hamann as backup.

I'm glad Owen will leave, because I think he's getting a bit stale with is contract talks and he's never been able to reach the heights of his form since the last treble season.
Rafa is showing he's a no nonsense coach who
emphasizes teamwork.
If we get Morientes it will be a steal, he's a world-class striker. If we get 1 more winger like Wright-Phillips, that will set us up nicely.
We definitely need to sign a right-sided winger soon.

Back
Top Bottom