Liverpool Thread

yup right sided player .. who do you think it will be?

joaquin would be nice.
a swap for diouf and 2-3 mill???

Sabac Red said:
loz said:
Where did you get that piece from Sabac Red?

Teamtalk.

Yeah Smicer out for six months, Benitez says he'll be looking for a right-sided player now.

Cheers fella :)

and joaquin for Diouf :mrgreen: I heard Portsmouth are after the Senegalese striker.

england22 said:
yup right sided player .. who do you think it will be?

joaquin would be nice.
a swap for diouf and 2-3 mill???

Add another 30 mil and they will think about it.

Ha ha! this made me laugh!

milanjen.jpg

cisseannanNEW.jpg

Kofi Annan?........mmm.....

Rumor has it that Figo could be on his way out very soon. He has said that he would not mind a place in the EPL before. Dare I dream?

I guess ManCity is trying to hammer something down with SW Phillips, so that could be a dream that never really took root either. :(

I was surprised that the EPL teams didnt seem to look for Ricardo Quaresma, the explosive Portuguese winger who played at Barca last year. He signed with Porto and has looked amazing in the games I have seen him in, including this past week in the US tour.

Another pre season win...

Liverpool brought the curtain down on their North American tour with a 2-1 win against Serie A side AS Roma at the Giants Stadium in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Michael Owen grabbed the winning goal five minutes from time to seal victory. Djibril Cisse had earlier netted his third goal for the club on the half hour to cancel out Marco Delvecchio's opener.

In what was a bright start to the game both sides showed a willingness to attack but it was Roma who took the lead in the 21st minute.

A good move down the left by Candela resulted in Panucci threading a ball into the Liverpool box and an unmarked Delvecchio turned it home from close range past a helpless Dudek.

The end-to-end action continued and it came as no surprise when Liverpool levelled nine minutes later. Baros and Gerrard combined 25-yards from goal to release Risse down the left and the Norwegian coolly rolled the ball sideways to Cisse who made no mistake sliding the ball into the empty net.

Biscan and Cisse then went close to scoring but there was a major scare for the Reds six minutes before the interval when influential skipper Gerrard was forced to leave the field after taking an earlier knock on the ankle.

Liverpool certainly finished the half strongest and right on the half-time whistle Kewell stung the fingers of Roma keeper Zotti with a blistering left-footed strike that was superbly turned around the post.

New signing Josemi came on for his debut at the break and slotted in with ease at right back, showing some good touches when coming forward and defending solidly.

Liverpool continued the second period where they'd left off in the first but couldn't convert their possession into further goals.

Dietmar Hamann was handed the Liverpool captaincy for the first time when Hyypia made way for young Whitbread on the hour mark, but Roma almost stole the lead against the run of play soon after when Mexes shot against the outside of the upright from a tight angle.

Montella then managed to wriggle free ofCarragher inside the penalty area only for Dudek to race off his line and force the striker to fire wide.

As the half wore on the game petered out as a spectacle and, a scuffed effort from 25-yards out by Diao apart, chances on goal were few and far between.

We were seemingly heading for a penalty shoot-out but with five minutes remaining Hamann made a determined run towards the Roma goal and the ball fell to Michael Owen who showed his class to tuck the ball past Zotti.

Roma immediately struck back and hit the post through Panucci but Liverpool held on to make it two wins out of three on their summer tour.

Rafael Benitez says he hopes the injury to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is not too serious and adds the player will receive treatment at Melwood when the squad return to England on Wednesday afternoon.

Benitez says Gerrard took a knock on the top of his thigh and he was taken off the field during the 2-1 victory over AS Roma so not to aggravate the injury even further.

Benitez said: "Steven has a little problem but I am hopeful it isn't too serious. The club doctor will have a look at him when we get back to Liverpool."

Lets hope it aint too bad an injury and he is fully fit for the start of the Premiership campaign

I watched the game, and dacourt is seriously a loose cannon, why wasnt he suspended for the game anyway? Kezman was, and Dacourt should have been too. Confusing that :S.

Good goals from the kop epecially the first one...

Real Mallorca and Bolton are the latest sides to be interested in Liverpool misfit El Hadji Diouf, while Blackburn are eyeing a move for Steve Finnan.

Liverpool's summer clearout continued on Tuesday night when young Frenchman Anthony Le Tallec joined St Etienne on loan, and the Anfield exodus looks set to continue.

New boss Rafa Benitez has already signalled that Diouf is not in his plans as he was not handed a squad number and was left behind from their tour of North America.

The Senegal marksman has insisted he will not leave Anfield until he has face-to-face talks with the new manager, and is reluctant to walk away from the final two years of his lucrative deal.

Spain seems his likely destination with Malaga and Levante already keen on him, and Mallorca have now entered the race for his loan signature.

Premiership side Portsmouth have been keen to keep the 23-year-old in England and Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is now mulling over a possible swoop.

The £10 million man has been far from a success at Anfield and it looks as though his days on Merseyside are numbered, with Reds chief executive Rick Parry keen to get him off the wage bill in order to fund any new signings.

A more surprising departure could be Republic of Ireland defender Steve Finnan, who only joined from Fulham last summer.

The arrival of Spanish defender Josemi has led to talk of Finnan moving on, and Blackburn have made enquiries about taking him on loan for the coming season.

Finnan struggled with injuries in his first season on Merseyside, but it is not known how highly he is rated by Benitez.

I wonder if Benitez will make any cloak & dagger style signings before the CL deadline...

Seems to me like there will be another signing or two defensively as Biscan and possibly Riise might be moved to the midfield. Personally, I think Riise could give Kewell serious competition for the left midfield spot and that Biscan could displace Hamann on occasion to pair with Gerrard.

Right now it looks like:

Finnan
Carragher
Hyypia
Henchoz
Josemari
Whitebread

as defenders with Riise maybe moving up to midfield to cover the loss of Smicer.

Anyway, things are looking good, but I was a little dissapointed with the Roma game because there wasn't the same off-the-ball movement from the first two games. Perhaps the players were a bit tired....

Do you think Riise would play well on that part of the field, Eaton?

Isnt he a lefty? I kinda like what he showed inthe past couple of games at his LSB position. He came up and helped out in the transition, and stayed back when he had to.

Your dead-on about the off the ball movement last night. I dont think they tried to hard, cuz it was the end of the roadshow.

New jerseys looked better than I thought, but the horrid 1980's graphics on the chest and shoulder has got to be nuked into oblivion. :shock:

More importantly, though, Cisse needs to dye his hair back to blond or platinum. . . it takes away his powers to have it black.

Liverpoolfc.tv can confirm that Anthony Le Tallec's loan deal to St Etienne has been completed today after the two clubs finally agreed terms on Wednesday morning

French starlet Anthony Le Tallec yesterday spoke about his proposed move back to France for a year to gain more first team experience at St Etienne.

St Etienne actually held a press conference to announce the arrival of the player before all the papers had been signed which explains why quotes appeared from both the player and the French club before the deal could be 100% confirmed.

The France U21 international did not travel with the team to the United States after Rafael Benitez told the player he would be prepared to loan him out for the season to increase his chance of playing regular football.

Le Tallec arrived at Anfield last summer after spending time on loan at Le Havre but despite proving popular with fans, the 19-year-old only made 23 appearances, scoring one goal in the process.

"I wanted people to see me and to be able to play for an entire season," claimed Le Tallec of the move. "I think at St Etienne I will have the chance to do that."

St Etienne do not have an option to buy the player once the loan deal ends on June 30 2005

Lets hope he comes back from the loan a better player, considering he aint bad to begin with this can only help.

Riise could play on the left of midfield, last season he didnt get much of a kick at left back but with Houlliers whole swithcing the midfield round he didnt really fit the job. Hopefully with a more structured team he can play in that position.

I am sure Cisse will fuck about with his hair again before the start of the season and the horrible yellow top will always be horrible

Liverpool are interested in signing unsettled Everton midfielder Thomas Gravesen, according to reports.

Cash-strapped Everton are understood to want £3.5m for the 28-year-old, who has one year left to run on his contract.

But a Goodison Park spokesman insisted: "We've heard the rumours about Gravesen but the manager is keen to keep him."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez wants to bolster his midfield after injury ended Valdimir Smicer's season and Steven Gerrard aggravated his hamstring.

If Gravesen did move across Merseyside, Everton could use the money to step up their interest in West Ham midfielder Michael Carrick.

Portsmouth, Crystal Palace and Everton boss David Moyes are all in the chase to sign the highly-rated 23-year-old.

Everton manager David Moyes said: "Michael Carrick is one player we would certainly be interested in if we had the money to buy him.

Gravesen might welcome a move to Anfield as he has become frustrated with Everton's failure to strengthen their squad ahead of the new campaign.

Gravesen would make a great signing, just think of the no-nonsense partnership of him and Gerrard.

Apparently we're looking to sign one of Barcalona's Garcia's.

ghazi said:
More importantly, though, Cisse needs to dye his hair back to blond or platinum. . . it takes away his powers to have it black.

I herd that they couldnt find a barber in New York to do it, so he had to shave it off, but he insists he will have his yellow hair to shine when he sparkles past defenders in the prem ;)

cisse with black hair?

destroys the whole AWESOME player feel hes got going on .. dont ya think?

luis garcia is left sided player .. we need a right sided player ;/

Heskey taken to Hospital

The England striker was taken off on a stretcher in the first half and went to hospital for a scan on his leg.

The £6.25million signing from Liverpool fell awkwardly in the 16th minute after attempting to control a pass from Stan Lazaridis.

Ahhhh Heskey, makes the simple task of controlling a football turn into a day at the hospital.
Bet you pool fans glad u got ridda that lump.

Nothing to do with us anymore, is there not a Brum Thread you can post this disastrous news in ;)

Pires7 said:
Heskey taken to Hospital

The England striker was taken off on a stretcher in the first half and went to hospital for a scan on his leg.

The £6.25million signing from Liverpool fell awkwardly in the 16th minute after attempting to control a pass from Stan Lazaridis.

Ahhhh Heskey, makes the simple task of controlling a football turn into a day at the hospital.
Bet you pool fans glad u got ridda that lump.

LOL, how is that possible?

By the way, what happend to Fabricio Coloccini? Liverpool were linked with him.

Liverpools Champions League Qualifying game is live on Channel 5 on Tuesday night for those of us in England. For most of us it will be the first chance to see the new style of Liverpools play, should be good

The world of football is always full of suprises.

From this -

Murphy eager to impress

Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy is ready to fight for his Anfield future.

Murphy has two seasons to run on his current contract but feels his future will be decided on his performances this season, especially with new manager Rafael Benitez preparing for his first campaign in England.

Murphy is keen to play as often as possible to prove to Benitez that he deserves another deal.

He told the Daily Mirror: "I've got two years left but in effect it's only one because by the time I get to the end of the season I'll probably know whether the boss fancies me and if I'll get a new contract.

"You've got to perform to stay at Liverpool, which is where I want to be.

"The season covers 55 or 60 games and I started only 28 or 29 last year. I don't think I could go through that again."

To this -

Murphy's law at Lane as star gets set to earn his Spurs

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has accepted an offer in the region of £3m for midfielder Danny Murphy from Tottenham.

The 27-year-old has two years remaining on his current Anfield contract but looks set for a move to pasteurs new with Spurs after the Reds accepted a bid from the London club.

Charlton, Aston Villa and Everton are also believed to be ready to make a move for Murphy but neither club at this stage have made a bid for the player.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton told the club's official website: "I can confirm that Liverpool have accepted an offer from Tottenham Hotspur for Danny Murphy."

Murphy, who joined the Reds in a £3m deal from Crewe in 1997, has been capped eight times by England, scoring once in the 4-0 win over Paraguay in 2002.

Well Benitez needs the funds and he is supposedly looking at some top players so....

But good luck to Murphy anyway, he's served us well.

I was shocked when I saw this story in the papers this morning, for me he has been one of Liverpools most consistent players and is always willing to battle and win a ball. His goals against Man Yoo will always be very special for me, him too probably ;)

Rafa must have been given the nod on a few new players otherwise he wouldnt have sold him. We look very short in midfield now. No more Man Utd. 0 Liverpool 1 (Murphy) scorelines. Sad to see him go.

Thank christ Murphy is going. He just screams out average, and not even that Man Yoo goal could change the fact the man is consistent, yet consistently average.

MarkD said:
Thank christ Murphy is going. He just screams out average, and not even that Man Yoo goal could change the fact the man is consistent, yet consistently average.

I know what you're saying Mark, but I thought he might have been a good utility player. We really need to get some serious midfield players in now,the midfield squad looks quite thin and if we're selling average players, there is no point in replacing them with more average players. I'm kinda surprised that Rafa likes Biscan though...
I do think you're right tho, we're not gonna win the league with players like Murphy and I take this sale as an indication of Rafa's singlemindedness to that end.

Cisse is a monst0r I predict he will score 25+ goals minimum if they let him play instead of owen (when he do nothing) and Cisse is not like Henry, he dont care if the goal is beautiful or not, he scores beautiful or not.

cal-neva said:
MarkD said:

I know what you're saying Mark, but I thought he might have been a good utility player. We really need to get some serious midfield players in now,the midfield squad looks quite thin and if we're selling average players, there is no point in replacing them with more average players. I'm kinda surprised that Rafa likes Biscan though...
I do think you're right tho, we're not gonna win the league with players like Murphy and I take this sale as an indication of Rafa's singlemindedness to that end.

Yep, Rafa seems to be a ruthless kind of guy, and this excites me. GH was far too forgiving of shite, and this meant we had crap running through our team. Hopefully now we'll have a pool of players who are all capable of playing for Liverpool.

The Biscan thing surprises me as well, he has looked pretty decent in pre season. I'll give Rafa the benefit of the doubt there, he's probably seen something in his midfield play that could be of use if he tires of Didi.

Pretty disappointed about the transfer stuff too, was expecting Steed Malbranque by now, or a decent central midfield player. Wide right and a partner for Stevie are the only two areas I lack confidence in, and nothing's been done so far. Hopefully Rafa does bring in a few more players while the window is still open. Shame RB didn't bring any of the Valencia boys over with him, their midfield is delicious.

Back
Top Bottom