Liverpool Thread

cal-neva said:
Very bad business by the board. Moores the chairman said after the McManaman fiasco that they wouldnt allow another player to get into the last year of his contract. First McMan for nothing and now Owen for 8 million plust some benchwarmer. disgraceful. What if Cisse or Baros get injured? And it looks like we may not get Garcia now either.
Very dissapointed.

Agree completely. We should have given Owen a choice at the end of last season: "sign a new contract now or we'll sell you". We could have then opened the bidding to all interested parties (I imagine Inter and Juve would have been interested, plus Barca) and that would have helped us to get a fair price at least. £8million plus some unknown (which is about £11million in my eyes) is an absolute disgrace for a 24 year old former European Footballer of the Year. Owen hasn't done himself any favours in all this and has basically gone back on his word that he wouldn't let the club lose out by him coming to the end of his contract - because that's exactly what has happened - we've lost out on £10million.

As for the strikers (or lack of them) we either need to get Le Tallec back sharpish from his loan deal or we need to go out and buy a quality striker. With hindsight, missing out on Kezman for £5million could have been a very big mistake.

Mind you, saying that, if we manage to steer clear of injuries then Baros and Cisse are a match for any strike force in the league IMO, and if we can get both Alonso and Garcia (which is looking unlikely) then we'll be in good shape.

Does anyone else think that we may be seeing Owen Hargreeves in a Liverpool shirt this season?

The more I think about it the more I think we should buy Robbie Keane. Spurs have a wealth of strikers and would possibly willing to offload. He's be the ideal foil for Cisse or Baros.
I'm just worried he'll keep Diouf as the 4th striker.

Just saw this interesting post on the LFC boards:

We have something on this side of the Atlantic called the Ewing Theory (named after retired basketball player Patrick Ewing). For those who don't know; The Ewing Theory is the explanation of the phenomenon of teams getting better when great players leave/get injured. The theory states: When a superstar player who has never really won anything (in this case the Prem or Champions League; FA Cup and EUFA don't count) leaves all the pressure comes off the team and, suddenly, underachievers start playing better, young guns step in to fill the spot and the team ends up improving. For LFC, this would mean Baros and Cisse become a great strike pair, Kewell lives up to his promise and Gerrard becomes an unstoppable force. Plus the new guys fly in under the radar and have a chance to settle into the club. If those things happen we should get off to quite a start.

I'm not saying this translates to football, but it's a near mortal lock to work in the major American sports. So lets all climb in off the ledges and see how the season and the team shape up before totally freaking out. Anyway, I can hope...

hmmm......

cal-neva said:
Just saw this interesting post on the LFC boards:

We have something on this side of the Atlantic called the Ewing Theory (named after retired basketball player Patrick Ewing). For those who don't know; The Ewing Theory is the explanation of the phenomenon of teams getting better when great players leave/get injured. The theory states: When a superstar player who has never really won anything (in this case the Prem or Champions League; FA Cup and EUFA don't count) leaves all the pressure comes off the team and, suddenly, underachievers start playing better, young guns step in to fill the spot and the team ends up improving. For LFC, this would mean Baros and Cisse become a great strike pair, Kewell lives up to his promise and Gerrard becomes an unstoppable force. Plus the new guys fly in under the radar and have a chance to settle into the club. If those things happen we should get off to quite a start.

I'm not saying this translates to football, but it's a near mortal lock to work in the major American sports. So lets all climb in off the ledges and see how the season and the team shape up before totally freaking out. Anyway, I can hope...

hmmm......
that is one of the dumbest things i have ever read, the ewing theory!!! are you kidding me, the knicks never won a thing after he left, they have been horrible since ewing reitred, i wouldnt pay much attention to that ...........

cal-neva said:
The more I think about it the more I think we should buy Robbie Keane. Spurs have a wealth of strikers and would possibly willing to offload. He's be the ideal foil for Cisse or Baros.
I'm just worried he'll keep Diouf as the 4th striker.

No way keano is a legend at the Lane and we now only have Kanoute (who Santini has a disliking for) and Defoe. If we let Keane go, then we'd be in the same situation as you lot, looking for another striker . . .

What I want to know is why the shit players arent leaving. We are stuck with Diao and Diouf FFS!!!

CWright said:
What I want to know is why the shit players arent leaving. We are stuck with Diao and Diouf FFS!!!

Maybe Benitez thinks that it would be a good challenge to try and get the best out of them.

Gazz22 said:
CWright said:

Maybe Benitez thinks that it would be a good challenge to try and get the best out of them.

I thought only Jesus could perform miracles

Real Madrid, hmmmm
Owen, Morientes, Ronaldo, Raul??? Crowded? After 70 mins you can swap any 2 and youll have fresh pair of strikers : ),,,,mid???
Zidane (getting old), Figo(Getting old), Beckham (hmmmm), Solari(ok), Guti(ok).

Def?
R.Carlos (great but getting old), Salgado(Lets hope he keeps it up), W.Samuel (Great), Helguerra(hmmm)

Does RM really need Owen?

It's gonna be hard to evaluate this situation until all the pieces are finally in place. I understand the need to sell him before he walks for free, but an unproven player and $8mil aint cuttin' it for me. Not by a long shot.

I read that this kid is supposed to be the next Rufete. . . maybe so, but they are getting a definite Owen, and Liverpool is getting a little cash and a possibility.

I woulda preferred a straight cash deal, so they could go out and buy someone who is certain to want to play and stay in England. Fuck, throw an above-asking amount of $$ at SWP who is young, talented and wants to win. At least you know what he can do in the EPL and that he wont have any adjustment issues. With Nunez, you dont know. What if he turns into a Spanish Postiga?

I aint likin' what I'm smelling. On the other hand, the team is alot healthier than last year, so should do better. And with the Champs league looking pretty likely tanks to the 2-0 cushion, there will be more $$ to throw around.

as a few ppl have said u cant blame him for going playing with Zidane and Co and playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world also getting away from the british weather.

You only have to look at Madrid last season to show that having a load of decent players doesnt guarantee success, maybe Owen thought he had done all he could at Liverpool and just fancied a move to Spain.

CWright, you have a valid point, owen has been at liverpool for a long time since his early teenage years, he has won cups and became european player of the year. I think like with most jobs, he has grown and gone as far as he could with liverpool, he does not want to stagnate. Plus big names need big clubs, I am a liverpool fan but we aint as big as in past era's anymore, and thats hard to say

I got no probs with Owen leaving. I just want the club to make a worthwhile deal. It's a Catch 22, to be sure. Do you let him go for $8mil and a player in a position you direly need. . . or do you risk nothing else happening and maybe let him walk for free.

(insert "you'll never walk alone" joke here) :oops:

I like Cisse-Baros as a strikeforce in this scheme better anyway.

In theory we still have 2 extra strikers in the squad in Pongolle and Diouf but I cant see them making a huge impact should our main 2 get injured :roll:

CWright said:
In theory we still have 2 extra strikers in the squad in Pongolle and Diouf but I cant see them making a huge impact should our main 2 get injured :roll:

True dat.

I tell you one thing that impressed me was Pongolle in the US games. He seemed much calmer and in control of himself and the ball. He also seemes to be commanding the game at moments. Not something to bet the house on, but at least it gives some positive signs.

Fulham seem to have a full house of strikers (McBride, Boa Morte, Radzinksi, Collins John, Cole). Maybe they'll lend one out. Fuck it, grab a loan for Mutu (or Wiltord who can also play wing if he needs to). Just get someone there who can contribute to the long season.

if you're lucky Sinama-Pongolle becomes the new Vassell...
and Diouf the new seal for the local circus...

if I were you, I'd kneel and praise long life and health to The Jewell :D

Quote from Soccernet
'I hope new players come and score as many goals as Michael and do the right things for Liverpool.'

Oh boy, Rafa .. Rafa ...

My God did u see a young Michael Owen there? I certainly hope not. Not in a million years. If the club actually cares and says a firm rejection to the idea, Agents can only do so much. He said he wanted to sign the contract. I don't know why you let him even think about leaving 'pool.

465.jpg

Our new squad numbers have now appeared...

1, Jerzy Dudek
2, Stephane Henchoz
3, Steve Finnan
4, Sami Hyypia
5, Milan Baros
6, John Arne Riise
7, Harry Kewell
8, Steven Gerrard
9, Djibril Cisse
10, Nobody at all
11, Vladimir Smicer
15, Salif Diao