Liverpool Thread

Baros to Barc - a few of the more reputable LFC BBS have stories of Baros' agent meeting with reps of Barca.

£14million for him...?

Personally I'd love him to stay and make a name for himself here - though that money could well come in handy for Rafa's team building, and it's not like we are short of forwards with Pongolle, Le Tallec and Mellor here too.

selling Baros would be a mistake.
But the problem is that Owen is going to be
in the starting XI on reputation alone.
I hope Benitez can be more fair with Baros
than GH was.

^ Me too m8.

Going by form then Owen would most likely be on the bench - and may have been last season if this continuing contract saga had been tied up.

Though if he does sign are the club going to bench a striker who is costing them £80,000 p/w as others are doing a better job? and keep him?

Plus it likely that Owen will only sign a two year extension - which leaves us in the same position this time next season - Owen has a year left on his contract and the club may appease him (again) by playing him no matter how well/bad he is playing...

and people wonder why Baros is a 'bit' annoyed at not playing more...

Tough decisions for Benitez.

Here is an artists impression of the new stadium

00042BB2-EA51-1F83-A08880BFB6FA0000.jpg

Though it could be a joint stadium if the local council have their way.

Us and Everton playing at the same stadium, its madness :shock:

A story...

a popular player with the fans comes back from Euro 2004 after having a very good tournament scoring wise, so much so that he tells his new boss that he'll be demanding 1st team footy this season... (something which was the norm for other LFC players towards the end of last season)

The new boss isn't too enamoured with this 'threat' and tells him he can 'inpolitely go' for a certain amount to a club of his choice - speculation arises of move to Spain for a big club, though they can't afford the asking price - yet are willing to let one of their star forwards to go as their new boss isn't too happy with his Spanish striker.

In a simple world a swap deal would be inevitable - tho agents and players have a way of complicating things...

deal off - for now.

Well there was a story that Barca are willing to let Saviola go to him off their ever increasing wage bill. Barca don't want to pay £10m for Baros(come on we'd be stupid to let him go for any less, infact we should be asking for more.) so a swap deal is more likely.

Sabac Red said:
Well there was a story that Barca are willing to let Saviola go to him off their ever increasing wage bill. Barca don't want to pay £10m for Baros(come on we'd be stupid to let him go for any less, infact we should be asking for more.) so a swap deal is more likely.

I love Saviola, but I think he and owen together doesnt put much size or strength up front. . .unless you're thinking of starting Cisse and Owen together with Saviola coming off the bench. Or maybe let Saviola run riot on the wing in a withdrawn role.

Rumours in one of todays papers are that if Viera goes to Madrid then Stevie will go to Arsenal. I have never read a bigger pile of crap this summer

And that Baros will move to Aston Villa for 3 million.

Both of these stories are bullshit and if either of them come true I will remove hutch`s modding capability

oojason said:
^ um... thanks for that, would you like to share your reasons why you think that'll be the case?

I'm guessing it's something to do with the fact that they were so unbelievably off the pace last season and have so far only signed Cisse. Realistically, they're not going to be able to spend £50m on a new defence and a couple of new midfielders, so at the minute I'd have to agree with him that Liverpool have absolutely no chance of winning the title next year.

IMO, like.

Benitez seems to think that most of the current squad is good enough.
I think the strikers are good, the midfield is so-so.
the defence a bit slow. (glad Baros is staying)
Will he be able to transform this side into champions? Not too sure about it, but let's give
him some time.

Not sure where we'll get the money for any big signings, it would have to be some scraps from the Spanish league.
Selling Diouf, Vignal and Babbel is'nt going to get us much.

That's the thing. I don't see how even the most ardent fan (or Stephane Henchoz) could *really* suggest that Liverpool have a squad, or even a first eleven, to compete with the top three.

I doubt Rafa really believes the squad are good enough right now, but there's probably not a lot he can do about it. Liverpool are fine for strikers but that's it.

To be fair tho, a couple of seasons ago you finished secon with more or less the same team, now you have Cisse and Baros coming back off an excellent Euro.

Although I do thin you could do with bolstering the defence a little. I'd like to see Kirkland have a good season (injury free), as he may well be in the frame to take over from Calamity James.

lol at Sky.

Media for the dumb masses - a sort of football light news service.

'Look we are trendy and talk about football 24 hours a day - though we only talk shallow shite and like Chelsea and Man U the most'... lol

Fan sues spitting footballer

A Celtic fan is suing a Liverpool footballer and his club for £50,000 after the Premiership star spat on him during a Uefa Cup clash in March 2003.
Dominic Schiavone, from Glenrothes, Fife, is seeking damages from Senegal striker El-Hadji Diouf and his club.

Diouf was fined £5,000 at Glasgow Sheriff Court last year after pleading guilty to assault under provocation.

Mr Schiavone claims he has been unable to return to Celtic's Parkhead ground since he was spat on.

Court fine

His lawyers launched the action at the Sheriff Court in Glasgow on 8 July.

The court granted Schiavone's Dunfermline-based solicitors, Morgans, up to 12 months to formally serve a writ on Diouf and Liverpool FC.

If that happens, the striker and the club will have 21 days to lodge an intention to defend.

The controversial incident occurred during a quarter-final first leg tie between the two clubs on 13 March last year.

Diouf over-ran an attempt to reach a ball in the 86th minute of the match and landed in a seated area full of Celtic fans.

During the court case, the procurator fiscal said Mr Schiavone helped the player back up on to his feet and patted him on the head .

Public apology

In response, the £10m player turned around and spat at Mr Schiavone, who was 18 at the time.

In his defence, Diouf said he had been in shock after his fall and argued he had been "struck" on the head and had not been patted.

His solicitor added that in Senegalese culture it was "degrading, insulting and patronising" to be touched in such a way on the back of the head as slave traders had treated slaves that way in the past.

The 23-year-old former African Footballer of the Year was also fined two weeks' wages and sent Celtic a £30,000 cheque for a charity of the club's choice.

He made a public apology and was later banned for two European matches by footballing body Uefa.

However, Uefa's disciplinary panel decided Diouf had been incited by supporters and fined Celtic £2,300.

Source: BBC News

Djibril Cisse got his Liverpool career up and running tonight but it was fellow French youngster Anthony Le Tallec who stole the show with two goals as the Reds got their pre-season preparations off to a winning start with a 2-1 win at Wrexham.

Cisse was the star attraction for the Reds fans who packed into the Racecourse Ground and their new idol did his best to crown his debut with a goal - but one free kick opportunity and a half chance with an overhead kick apart, he was unable to trouble the Wrexham goalkeeper.

Le Tallec was the only player to stay on the field for the entire 90 minutes and he repaid his manager's faith with an excellent double to serve notice that he intends playing more of a part in the first team this season.

Benitez used 21 players in his first match as Reds manager, including many of the club's Academy youngsters who were often frozen out and devoid of any opportunities to stake their claim under the previous regime.

Steven Warnock, Darren Potter, Zak Whitbread, David Raven and Robbie Foy were all given a chance to impress and all can be pleased with their contributions as they look forward to potentially making the grade at Anfield this season.

The home side took a surprise lead after 19 minutes as the Liverpool defence conceded their first goal in the Benitez era.

The Reds defence failed to deal with a cross from the right and after Lawrence had directed the ball towards goal Hector Sam was on hand to slot the ball past Chris Kirkland.

That setback served to spark Liverpool into action and they deservedly levelled the scores just four minutes later. Igor Biscan, who was an impressive figure in midfield, crashed a shot against the base of the post and French youngster Anthony Le Tallec was first to the loose ball to tap home the equaliser.

Benitez made ten changes to his team at half time, with only Le Tallec surviving from the side which kicked off the game.

It was young Scot Robbie Foy who had the first chance of the second period but his low shot from distance drifted just the wrong side of Andy Dibble's goal.

Florent Sinama Pongolle, named yesterday by the manager as one of his four striking options for the coming season, enjoyed his second half run out and came close on a couple of occasions to giving the Reds the lead.

He forced Dibble into a fine low save with a low shot early in the second half and then slid a right footed effort just wide of the far post following an excellent Liverpool move.

Le Tallec and Pongolle were a real handful for the Wrexham defence throughout the second period and they carved open another chance after 70 minutes when Pongolle latched onto his team-mates pass but lifted the ball over the bar.

The duo linked up again eight minutes later, this time to deadly effect as Pongolle dribbled through the Wrexham defence and unselfishly laid the ball into the path of Le Tallec who made no mistake with a low finish into the far corner.

Good performance, good win and a good start to a bright new Anfield era.

Liverpool (1st half): Kirkland, Finnan, Traore, Hyypia, Medjani, Biscan, Welsh, Murphy, Cisse, Kewell, Le Tallec.

Liverpool (2nd half): Dudek, Diao, Whitbread, Warnock, Riise, Raven, Potter, Pongolle, Otsemobor, Foy, Le Tallec.

A good run out for all then apart from Diouf who didnt even travel with the team :D

This comment from the Official Liverpool Forums made me chuckle...

Benitez understands football. He is everything that media whore at Chelsea is not

Dont hold back will ya mate :shock:

I must say I'm blown away with the change that Benitez has brought to Liverpool.

1. He actually played Academy talent in a "meaningful" game and is clearly giving the full squad a look before looking to spend. From everything I've read about GH, the Academy was never considered before buying a player. How refreshing.

2. Very insightful match comments from Benitez. Unlike the cryptic, excuse-ridden comments from GH, Benitez gives a more accurate assessment of what he saw, and what he needs to see from his team. Great stuff.

I couldn't be happier with our new coach. I think a university educated coach is far better than a football educated coach.

I liked what I saw of Le Tallec last season. . ballsy player. What position and side of the field is he best suited for in your opinion?

ghazi said:
I liked what I saw of Le Tallec last season. . ballsy player. What position and side of the field is he best suited for in your opinion?

I always thought he was more of a link player between the midfield and attack but he always looks a threat when he comes on

CWright said:
ghazi said:

I always thought he was more of a link player between the midfield and attack but he always looks a threat when he comes on

I think he's best as a forward... gives him attacking freedom and he's quite adept at winning balls in the air. I'd play him off a "true striker" like all the guys we've got (Baros, Owen, Cisse, FSP) to give the second striker absolute freedom to get in goal scoring position.

Hmmm...Benitez had good words for Biscan and it looks like he will figure as a midfielder this season.

I hope to see more of Otsemobor aswell, don't why Houllier decided to loan him out last season at Bolton when he did was sit on the bench.

Benitez seems to be taking his time on signing he has til the 5th next moth to sign and register new players for the CL, we've been linked with a move for Milan's much loaned defender Fabricio Collocini.

Back
Top Bottom