Liverpool Thread

He didnt want to talk about the possible move during the England press conference but it is a worry that he hasnt come out independantly and said something.

And there are rumours that Owen will be off to Barca during the summer too

This is a worrying time

CWright said:
He didnt want to talk about the possible move during the England press conference but it is a worry that he hasnt come out independantly and said something.

And there are rumours that Owen will be off to Barca during the summer too

This is a worrying time

You think Owen's gonna go? I read that Henrik Larsson was made a public offer by Barca for a job as soon as the Euro Cup is over.

gerrardchelsea.jpg

35mill will do very well indeed....

Misfit said:
gerrardchelsea.jpg

35mill will do very well indeed....

Hey dude, where you been hiding!!

I think all this is gonna be good for LFC in the long run.

For one yous have got a class coach.

If gerrard does go there is every possibility that chelsea could throw in Duff/Parker (or both) as part of the deal.

Even if Owen goes yous have got Cisse on the way and a genuine star of the future in Baros already at the club, not to mention the players that are gonna fancy working with Benitez.

Bye then Stevie, the rumours keep coming and you havent yet denied them. Mind you the deal Chelski are offering according to the papers looks mighty tempting, 20 mil plus Parker and Duff seems like a good deal for us

A liverpool fan who posts on another board went into Liverpools club shop this morning, all photos, posters of him had been taking off the shelf and when asked if he could have squad number 17 and Gerrard printed on the back of a shirt, staff all looked round at each other and said they couldn't do it.

might be bollix like but worth a post

super mick mcarthy said:
A liverpool fan who posts on another board went into Liverpools club shop this morning, all photos, posters of him had been taking off the shelf and when asked if he could have squad number 17 and Gerrard printed on the back of a shirt, staff all looked round at each other and said they couldn't do it.

might be bollix like but worth a post

Maybe they had run out of numbers and letters and were waiting for a delivery ;)

I didn't think that I'd ever say this, but for £25million + Duff and Parker I'd say let Stevie go. Duff is a great player and we've been crying out for someone like him for years. Parker is a very good young player and would be the perfect replacement for Didi who is reaching the end of his peak.

The fact is that Benitez is going to want to come in and build his own team in his own style, but it's very hard to build a side around Gerrard as, for all his brilliance, he's not a genuine playmaker in the style of a Nedved or Totti. Currently we wouldn't be able to accomodate one of these kind of players in the team, but with Stevie gone we'd have a perfect hole to be filled and a wad of cash to buy his replacement (Aimar or Rosicky would be my first choices). Add to that Duff on the left and Kewell playing on the right, with Cisse and Owen up front and that's a genuinely exciting attacking line-up.

The next question would be: With Baros looking in such good form, would you cash in on Owen now and spend the money on 2 high quality back up strikers who would add something new to the team, or would you keep him hoping that he'd benefit from a new style of play and a genuine playmaker feeding him decent service at last?

Owen must be sold right now if we plan on leaving him on the subs bench where his value dwindles away....

super mick mcarthy said:
Just heard from me sources ;) that gerrard will move to Chelsea in a few days for a fee around 32m - 37m

A) Do you secretly work for Sky Sports?

B) Can you make your avatar smaller?

CWright said:
super mick mcarthy said:
Just heard from me sources ;) that gerrard will move to Chelsea in a few days for a fee around 32m - 37m

A) Do you secretly work for Sky Sports?

B) Can you make your avatar smaller?
a) I secretly do not work for Sky Sports (keep it hush though)

b) My avatar is regulation size (its width can be no greater than 160 pixels, the height no greater than 250 pixels)

I think Benitez would do well to cash out on Gerrard and Owen this summer.
We could get 50m + and that would enable us to get atleast 4 good players
in various positions.
Benitez should be allowed to create his own squad.

mathewsss said:
in various positions.

Sacrilege. Gerrard is the future of the national team and the club. He is its soul. Keep him at all costs, I say.

ghazi said:
mathewsss said:
in various positions.

Sacrilege. Gerrard is the future of the national team and the club. He is its soul. Keep him at all costs, I say.

No it's not sacrilege. Players come and go.
We can't keep players who are not interested in playing for Liverpool Football Club.
Gerrard looks like he may be leaving to Chelsea.
If we can get 30 mil and some players in exchange, it would
be a great deal for LFC.
If Owen wants to stay, then he's most welcome.
But if he wants to leave, I think we should cash out on him now before
his value keeps decreasing. Getting 20-30 million for him would be great
business if he wants to leave.

I say keep Gerrard and build the team around him, he is the soul of our team and has a big future at this club. Getting rid of him would be like shooting ourselves in the foot.

Stasman said:
I say keep Gerrard and build the team around him, he is the soul of our team and has a big future at this club. Getting rid of him would be like shooting ourselves in the foot.

I totally agree but it will take time - and if things don't improve soon then its inevitable that players who we build our team around like Gerrard and Owen will leave. Difficult as it may be for me to admit, but it looks like Gerrard at least will be leaving. Who knows? maybe it will be a good thing if we pick a team which plays as a team rather than relying on the talents of Gerrard.......

If Chelsea came and offered 20mil and Duff id snap their hands off to be honest

No one rates gerrard as highly as me, hes a fantastic player but 20million can buy you a fantastic player in todays market and Duff was player of the season until he had his injuries

you can stick Kewell in the middle with duff on the left, you have 2 of the premierships best players right there and im sure with the money Benitez has to spend there will be a few more joining the kop soon

super mick mcarthy said:
If Chelsea came and offered 20mil and Duff id snap their hands off to be honest

No one rates gerrard as highly as me, hes a fantastic player but 20million can buy you a fantastic player in todays market and Duff was player of the season until he had his injuries

you can stick Kewell in the middle with duff on the left, you have 2 of the premierships best players right there and im sure with the money Benitez has to spend there will be a few more joining the kop soon

Exactly my sentiments. Gerrard is going, there's nothing that's going to be done now, and since Chelsea are loaded to such a degree, we might as well get what we can. 20 or 30 million will help rebuild to remove the dead wood and replace it, and I'd be ecstatic with Duff. If we're going to lose him, and he wants to go, at least get some benefit from the thing.

In an ideal world I would not want Gerrard to go.
He was our best player last season, and he's a big Liverpool fan.

But if he has made up his mind to join Chelsea, then so be it.
LFC should make the best deal for the Club.
We cannot have a player who's bigger than the club
who is not interested in playing for us.

Benitez is a cool customer, he was saying the other day how
a great player can win you 1 or 2 matches out of 4, but
that a great team can win you 4 or 5 matches.
A subtle reminder to Gerrard that Liverpool is a team and
can be built without him.
I think Gerrard has believed his own hype in the media.
Yes he's a great player, but no player is bigger than Liverpool Football Club.
It's the club that finally matters.
Gerrard claims that he's a boyhood supporter of Liverpool and that
he signed a new contract earlier this year.
If he joins Chelsea now without even giving Benitez the chance
to prove himself, then it speaks for his lack of loyalty.

I think Liverpool should sell him only for 30m + Duff.

Benitez is a brilliant manager with a winning pedigree, I'm
sure he will buy some good players who will fit in the team
to make Liverpool better.

mathewsss said:
In an ideal world I would not want Gerrard to go.
He was our best player last season, and he's a big Liverpool fan.

But if he has made up his mind to join Chelsea, then so be it.
LFC should make the best deal for the Club.
We cannot have a player who's bigger than the club
who is not interested in playing for us.

Benitez is a cool customer, he was saying the other day how
a great player can win you 1 or 2 matches out of 4, but
that a great team can win you 4 or 5 matches.
A subtle reminder to Gerrard that Liverpool is a team and
can be built without him.
I think Gerrard has believed his own hype in the media.
Yes he's a great player, but no player is bigger than Liverpool Football Club.
It's the club that finally matters.
Gerrard claims that he's a boyhood supporter of Liverpool and that
he signed a new contract earlier this year.
If he joins Chelsea now without even giving Benitez the chance
to prove himself, then it speaks for his lack of loyalty.

I think Liverpool should sell him only for 30m + Duff.

Benitez is a brilliant manager with a winning pedigree, I'm
sure he will buy some good players who will fit in the team
to make Liverpool better.

:shock: If Benitez can win us 5 out 4 matches, I'll be more than happy! ;)

Good post. No matter how much I rate and love (in footballing terms obviously) Gerrard, I'll much prefer to replace him with team players. I would love to get Duff (and Parker perhaps), some valencia players and some others that Benitez have been eyeing up. Just hope we don't spend all the money made on the same pedigree as Diouf

If Liverpool want to keep a regular CL spot every season, they'll have to keep atleast Owen.
I still think Owen has it in him to be right up there with Ruud and Henry.
Liverpool have £30mil to spend which if used wisely, they could find the right players to actually get them fighting for the title.
You could afford to lose Gerrard in my opinion but not Owen.
Maybe you can take Solskjaer off us. That might help.

Gerrard has handed in a transfer request in to LFC - it's no longer a question of him pondering a move, or keeping silent due to England commitments.

It's a sad time to be a Liverpool fan at the moment - though players who don't want to be here and not play for the shirt anymore should, IMHO, be thanked, remembered and then it's time to look ahead.

Obviously the sooner the situation is resolved the better for us all.

rockykabir said:
I'm finding it really surprising to hear, if the reports are true, that Chelsea are even considering of selling Duff - he was, apart from when he was injured, easily one of Chelsea's players of the season.

Well they've got Robben now and i'm sure they'll be looking at bringing in an actual right sided player.

We've been linked with bringing in Baraja as soon as the Gerrard deal is done.

Owen says he may also leave IF Gerrard leaves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3843809.stm

On one hand, you can say that both players are craving
the kind of success at the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd.
And rightly so, they're thinking about their personal success.

But then again it's not a good example of loyalty.
If two of our best players who started their careers
at Liverpool, now want to leave.
What example does that leave for the other players?
It's been refreshing to see the likes of Henchoz, Baros, Smicer
come out and say that they're really looking forward to working
with Benitez, and that they hope they are in his plans.

I have a feeling that Benitez will transform some of our under-achievers
into far better players next season (especially Diouf, Smicer).

Baros is kickin' ass in Euro 2004 so theres something to look forward to next season.
I just think that if Liverpool really dig deep and pull out as much money as possible, they could have enough to rebuild the team. Plus what they get from Owen and Gerrard.
I'm sure there are gonna be many Chelsea players up for grabs like Duff when they bring in new replacements

Back
Top Bottom