Liverpool Thread

Cisse was a done deal before GH 'left'. Though any manager in his right mind would love him on their club's books - this is a player that turned down Real Madrid twice for us.

Cisse's arrival could also signal Owen's final season here (04/05) - it's rumoured that he'll only sign a 12 month extension and then leave for abroad - tho LFC will still get a consdierable transfer fee.

Seems like the press are now picking the Engnad team too - King is now ahead of Carra to play at CB vs France.

Wonder if it's anything to do with Sky and the tabloids banging on about Henry 'destryoing' Carra in the 4-2 defeat at Arse earlier in the season?

If so it would seem Nancy has the bollocks in his relationship, and maybe she should be pocketing the £3million salary...

done deal, Benitez has been confirmed as the new head coach of the 'pool, what will stevie g and mickey make of this?

Mickey should love it - he's been reported to be a big fan of way Valencia play, probabaly from the 2 games LFC played against them and didn't get a kick.

Any of the lads who played in those 2 games would remember how good Valenica looked and would be impressed.

Maybe Owen will be sticking around a bit longer?

Its no great shock that he has been confirmed as our new manager today given that he had to serve 2 weeks notice at Valencia, here is the statement from the Liverpool website...

Rafael Benitez has today been confirmed as the new Liverpool manager. The former Valencia manager follows Gerard Houllier into the Kop hotseat and will take charge of his first game against Celtic on July 26.
Rafael Benitez is the first Spaniard to manage Liverpool and the capture of his services is a shrewd one by the club.

There is no doubting his credentials after leading Valencia to a league and UEFA Cup double in 2004, overcoming the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona. It was Valencia's second La Liga title in three years under Benitez.

Indeed, in his first season in charge at Valencia he led the club to their first La Liga title for 31 years and quickly became something of a legend amongst the Valencia fans.

Benitez was born in Madrid in April 1960 and during his days as a player had a spell with the mighty Real Madrid. He never played for Real though and spent most of his career in the lower leagues in Spain.

It was his coaching that made him the man he is today. He started out coaching the youngsters at Real Madrid in 1986 and was in charge of their youth team. Unhappy spells in charge of Spanish teams Valladolid and Osasuna followed before he led Second Division side Extremadura to promotion in 1997.

During the 1999/2000 season Benitez took a year out to study coaching methods in Italy and England, which certainly stood him in good stead on his return to management. He studied coaching at Manchester United and Arsenal which certainly gave him a good insight into English football.

He returned as head coach of Second Division side Tenerife in 2000 and a year later was to be the start of a fairytale success story with Valencia. His appointment as successor to Hector Cuper was met with mixed reaction and questioned by fans and pundits alike. However Benitez was to have the last laugh as Valencia won the league title.

The following season was disappointing and like Liverpool, Valencia finished fifth in the league. However they did have a good run in the Champions League and reached the quarter-finals. Liverpool fans will well remember coming up againstValencia in the Champions League and we lost twice, 2-0 at the Mestalla Stadium and 1-0 at Anfield. Many fans and pundits remarked after those games how well Valencia had played and were honest in the fact that Valencia outclassed Liverpool in both matches. Not many argued against that point.

Benitez is something of a perfectionist and is a very technical coach who uses computer technology to monitor his players' diets and physical development. He also has a degree in Physical Education.[/b]

He looks like a man that will give the players some belief in their abilities, roll on the new season

Can't wait for Houlliers flops to be given the axe and for Benitez to bring in some much needed established quality.

There's noises in the press about Cheyrou & Diouf to Marseilles, Diao to St Etienne... tho it is the silly season.

What the future will bring the likes of Biscan, Babbel, Vignal, Diarra and maybe even Dudek and Smicer is just too complex at the moment. Even Partridge and Wanrock, who've signed new deals may or may not have a future - no doubt if Bentiez wants new funds he'll have to generate some himself - via players out and wage bill savings... strewth - I just mentioned 11 players who could not be playing for us this season!

Add to this players Benitez will no doubt want to bring in at some stage over the coming season and the squad really does need culling:-

1. Jerzy Dudek
2. Stephane Henchoz
3. Steve Finnan
4. Sami Hyypia
5. Milan Baros
6. Markus Babbel
7. Harry Kewell
9. El-Hadji Diouf
10. Michael Owen
11. Vladimir Smicer
13. Danny Murphy
15. Salif Diao
16. Dietmar Hamann
17. Steven Gerrard
18. John Arne Riise
20. Anthony Le Tallec
21. Djimi Traore
22. Chris Kirkland
23. Jamie Carragher
24. Florent Sinama-Pongolle
25. Igor Biscan
26. Richie Partridge
27. Gregory Vignal
28. Bruno Cheyrou
29. Patrice Luzi
30. Carl Medjani
31. Alou Diarra
32. John Welsh
33. Neil Mellor
34. Darren Potter
35. Stephen Warnock
36. Jon Otsemobor
37. Zak Whitbread
38. Michael Foley Sheridan

Think there's 35 players there - and it may take a lot oftime and money t oshift even some of them that Benitez may not want.

liverpool have parted company with phil thompson. wonder what will happen to him, he is one of the most comic touchline figures in the game.

all that shouting phil and all for nothing.

Rumours are always gonna be there, even his signing a new contract hasnt stopped it. I think he will be there another season at least to see how the new management team work out, then if things arent getting any better he will leave next summer

I don't think Benitez managed to persuade Stevie G to stay...

There are rumours abound that Carra isn't talking to him and a few more that something else escalated out of that.

Worryingly people close to Stevie havn't come out and denied it either, and depsite that club matters are'nt allowed to be discussed whilst England are still in Euro2004 Lampard at every opportunity keeps on waxing lyrical at how well the two of them play together and how Chelsea are after him.

There are a few stories on the more reliable LFC BBS that it's £35million + Parker and Gallas.

I've heard he's off too. Double the money, which he wants to get for his daughter. He's already been to Mr A's house in May, and agreed personal terms, so it looks like we may be without Stevie G. Can't see how he can leave, when we only made him captain at Xmas. The hell he'll receive from the fans will be amazing.

Really doubt the deal will happen, his heart is with liverpool, although he will come into the first team right away partnering Lampard in the centre. Life would be good wouldnt it. ;)

If Gerrard wants to leave, then we should first try to convince him not to,
looks like Benitez is doing that.
But if he's already decided to go to Chelsea, then so be it,
We should cash out on him. I'd say get 30m + 2-3 players.

Then we can spend that to get Tomas Rosicky who's a superb playmaker,
and probably a right-sided winger.

With all due respect, Gerrard is a good versatile player, but he's no world
beater that people make him out to be. His main asset is his tireless
running and strength. Yes he's a good player, but for 30m we should cash
out on him.
Nobody should be bigger than the club.

I think Benitez will handle this well, even if Gerrard leaves,
the manager can surely build a superb team that will challenge for
the title. He's a very experienced coach who knows how to build
a team without superstars into winning units. (Valencia)

That's all we want, a winning team.

mathewsss said:
With all due respect, Gerrard is a good versatile player, but he's no world
beater that people make him out to be. His main asset is his tireless
running and strength. Yes he's a good player, but for 30m we should cash
out on him.
Nobody should be bigger than the club.

i thought i would never hear a liverpool fan say this about Gerrard :shock:
actually this post has suprised me
if u lose Gerrard i think it will be a step backwards for you, he is surely crucial to the club, isnt he??

stiffler at least he's being realistic, he even said that we should try to convince him to stay. But of course there's the possibility that he'll leave. If that'll be the case we can replace him and purchase 1-2 more players. Sure, he'll be hard to replace but it's managable.

If I were Rafa I'd try to sign some pacey wingers like Grönkjaer, Rommedahl or Van Persie. He had great wingers in Valencia with the likes of Rufete and Vicente. Also Van Bommel could replace Gerrard. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, the Stevie -> Blues transfer is just a rumour...

Zlatan#9 said:
stiffler at least he's being realistic, he even said that we should try to convince him to stay. But of course there's the possibility that he'll leave. If that'll be the case we can replace him and purchase 1-2 more players. Sure, he'll be hard to replace but it's managable.

If I were Rafa I'd try to sign some pacey wingers like Grönkjaer, Rommedahl or Van Persie. He had great wingers in Valencia with the likes of Rufete and Vicente. Also Van Bommel could replace Gerrard. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, the Stevie -> Blues transfer is just a rumour...

i see wot u mean, its similar to the becks transfer in a way, as he was crucial to us.
and like u say its just a rumour

Apparently Gerrard to Chelsea is a cert.

Rumours from Liverpool via Portugal are that Carra and Gerrard had a row with Carra actually landing one on Gerrard.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:

Rumours from Liverpool via Portugal are that Carra and Gerrard had a row with Carra actually landing one on Gerrard.

Gerrard and Carra haven't been speaking for years though, from what I've heard. I wonder how badly Stevie will be treated if he goes, because, to me, this is worse than what Alan Smith did, as at least Smith didn't try to hide his emotions. Stevie met up with Roman back in May ffs, it just pisses me off.

MarkD said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:

Gerrard and Carra haven't been speaking for years though, from what I've heard. I wonder how badly Stevie will be treated if he goes, because, to me, this is worse than what Alan Smith did, as at least Smith didn't try to hide his emotions. Stevie met up with Roman back in May ffs, it just pisses me off.

Well rumours are rife in liverpool about those two having a proper barney.

The scousers are gonna be gutted, they've been gutted about being behind the top three and now they are getting rid of their best player, its gonna set them back three fiur years easily.

I agree, let him go especially to Chelsea.

If it was Arsenal or Manure then I really wouldn't be too happy about that. Chelsea progressed well last season but when was the last time they won anything? And Gerrard's main determination is to win things....

I'd also like to see where he's going to fit in, how on earth are they going to accomendate him, Lampard, Makele, Deco(not confirmed transfer), Costinha(not confirmed transfer), Duff and Robben...

FFS - I hope Stevie sticks around and doesnt fly to into the midfield mayhem of Chelski.

Having followed the EPL for only a few years, I started supporting Liverpool based on the attitude and grit of Gerrard. While I would love to see him and Lampard work together, i think it would be a tragic day in footy if Abramovich could simlply dangle some rubles, and buy off England's most promising player. . . and yes, i am saying that AFTER Rooney's brace today. LOL.

As much as I don't want it to happen,
I think Gerrard will go to Chelsea to join his England buddies Lampard, Terry, and possibly Rooney following him.
With the constant money being pumped in to the club, I'm sure he thinks
it's a better bet than Liverpool.
It's too tempting for him.

I feel he should atleast stay at Liverpool for the next season and see
how Benitez creates a new team.
But I'm wondering if the lack of any major new money being injected
into Liverpool via a Thai deal or Steve Morgan has hurt our chances
of buying any big names in the transfer market apart from Cisse.

Even if Gerrard leaves, I think Benitez can do well given the time.
He'll create a skilful pacy team with genuine wingers and very tough
to beat.

Back
Top Bottom