Liverpool Thread

CWright said:
~Postie~ said:
I thought I recognised you :D

and here's my Broadcast from...er...another place

We need a wise head, we need some experience in domestic and european football, we need a proven track record, we need a man who has taken two clubs to the Bundesliga title and the Champions League Winners Circle (in the last seven years, no less) and we need to look aboard...

Ottmar Hitzfeld is your man, he buys good players...for the good of the club

Thank you

That was a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of Mr Hitzfeld funded by Postie ;)

damn right, essé

funded by The Post Productions, more like :D

Good luck GH..........And thanks.

New manager?................Hitzfeld without doubt. him and Benitez are the only two who meet parry's "Proven track record" criteria.

Alan curbishly would be very dangerous............Remember the miricales mike walker made a Norwich?..........Only then to completely balls up the Everton job?

I'm glad this saga has come to an end.
The board can now concentrate on searching for the new manager.
Houllier can leave with dignity and good luck to him.
He deserves the respect for his dedication to Liverpool FC.
Wonder where he'll go next though ?

And now to the new manager....I really hope we get Mourinho.
as indicated by the Guardian.
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1224051,00.html

He would be ideal, because he has the experience in winning domestic
and European trophies. To see what he has done with Porto is
nothing short of amazing.
If they win the Champions League, then the whole of Europe will
be after him.
And if we can get him before Chelsea or Real do it, then it would
be a fantastic coup.
The only negative about him is the diving thing that his Porto players
have mastered.

Among the other alternatives, I'd say Hitzfeld would be the best.

It's hard to say what manager I like, because pedigree does not always translate into success.

I'd like to hear the proposals given by the candidates as to how they'd change the Liverpool team... either by tactics or players to get better results.

I'm willing to admit that a lesser known coach getting his first chance at a major club may prove to be the best choice, because everyone has to have a first big job somewhere.

I just want some insight into the hiring process... I want to know why one guy gets picked over someone else.

^ Reputation of the mananger - the board may ask a few people whose views they know and trust. Sort of depends on what exactly the board are after - and we don't really know...

Track Record - As Rick Parry has said the new guy will need to have a proven track record. Whether this is Mourinho (won a few trophies of late) or someone with the staure of Bobby Robson (joke) - (been a few places in Europe, has WC experience and won a load of trophies).

Availability - an ex-Manc or someone who has disdain for the working class may not go down too well with the local fans...

Money - how much does he want as salary, is it a basic wage with large bonues for winning. How much does he want to bring in for new players, how much a loss are the club willing to take over getting rid of 8-9 players to get 'em off the wage bill and free up funds etc

The 'Feeling' - any job, no matter how 'big' or 'small', when the parties meet there has be the right feeling that this bloke is going to be the right one for the job, that he's not here for himself and that he understands the enormity of the task ahead, and the club will be where you want it to be in 4 years time...

This is surely, Liverpool's most crucial summer, with a major decision
on who the next manager will be.

It's make or break for Liverpool, the board know that if they make a
bad decision, we could go into oblivion.
(remember O'Leary and Leeds ?)

The next manager will most probably get a good amount of money
to spend this summer. So he will need to get about 4-5 players
who can transform our team.
Also the task of getting to know the existing players and weeding
out the bad ones.

Looking at the candidates:

- Rafa Benitez:
won the Spanish League twice which is a fantastic achievement in one of the top leagues in the world.
Won the UEFA cup and also reached Quarters of CL last year.
He did all this with a relatively small squad without too many
superstars. (without the impact of his big star Aimar)
His team outplayed Liverpool 3 times (2 in the CL, 1 friendly) with
good one-touch possession football.
But will he leave Valencia ? His next logical step would be to
go for the Champions League with this team, especially if the
Valencia board allow him to spend this summer.
Chances of him joining L'pool : slim

- Jose Mourinho:
won the UEFA cup, Portuguese titles and got to
the CL final on a small squad with one star "Deco".
The portuguese league are not the most competitive compared
to Spain/Italy/England.
His team is known for a rough physical side, fouling, diving ,etc
but also for good possession football.
He is tipped to join Chelsea, but did mention a preference to join
Liverpool earlier.
Not sure if he would enjoy working under Abramovich who
probably will demand the Premiership and the CL next season.
The Liverpool board will not put him under the same pressure.
Chances of him joining us: medium

- Alan Curbishley:
good consistent manager at Charlton where
he has got them into the top half of the Prem. with a small budget
and no superstars or stars even for that matter.
They play some decent stuff at the Valley, and did beat us twice
this season.
But his lack of experience outside of England, and the lack of trophies
is a serious concern. He is relatively unknown outside the UK.
Also who would want to join us, if he was our manager.
Chances: slim

- Ottmar Hitzfeld:
one of the most successful managers in recent times
having won the CL twice with Dortmund and Munich.
Also won the German league a few times.
He was unlucky to be sacked by Munich and could be hungry for
a new challenge.
His teams are not really known for stylish football, but they were
very effective in winning matches.
The media have not really favoured him yet for Liverpool.
But he could be the dark horse in the race.
Chances: medium

- Vicente del Bosque:
won CLs, league titles with Real madrid.
Surprisingly sacked by Madrid. (they're looking foolish now aren't they?)
Fantastic coach known for great football at Real,
but then again they have the best players in the world.
Don't think he would come to England.

- Gordon Strachan:
the board would be daft in appointing him
Chances: none

- Steve McClaren:
good manager who is similar to Curbishley's stature, maybe a bit higher
since they won a trophy this season.
Don't know if the board want to hire an ex-Manc who did publicly
admire Emile Heskey few months ago.

- Martin O'Neill:
he's done great at Celtic. But let's face it, the SPL is not the greatest
league in the world. Yes, Celtic did beat Liverpool, but with his long-ball
tactics, I don't think he would succeed with us.
He did well at Leicester winning a couple of League cups.
If we sacked GH, and got MON, it would not be an improvement,
plus he would not be able to attract any big names from Europe.
Let him go to Man U.
chances: slim

- Kenny Dalglish:
no way he'll come back to manage us after so many
years. The board would not do it.
chances: none

Message to owen...........Sign or decline you miserable welsh cunt. All for himself he is.....................

If he wont sign then Fuck him off now ..........

well i would'nt be so harsh on him. I think he has every right to be concerned about who we get as the new manager.
he's been starved of any decent midfield service for the last
2 years and it's high time we got a manager who gets a better
midfield in place (barring stevie g).

just think of it, you're on the verge of signing a new contract
and the club is going through a major transition....give him credit
he's not doing a bosman on us.
at least he's honest enough to come out and spell his position.

If we get Benitez/Mourinho/Hitzfeld in a few weeks, then he might
sign right away.
But if we get someone who is unproven, then you can't blame him.

Either way the club will benefit. because he will not do a bosman.

Owen says he won't do a Bosman - tho McMoneyman also said the same thing at a certain stage of his contract negotiations too.

Owen's reported quotes on GH were hardly sympathetic, and it hardly puts the fans' minds at rest at a time when he could have signed a new contract any time over the past year.

Now it looks like it'll be the start of the season before he signs - and if he does it's not difficult to forsee there'll probably be a get-out clause for a certain amount of money or perhaps it'll only be a 2 year exntension - which leaves us in the same position at the end of next season - worrying about tying him to the club.

Depending on the new manager (who may/may not rate him) it may be time for the club to take a tough stance and give Owen the ultimatum.

super mick mcarthy said:
The Liverpool Echo has today reported that Benitez WILL be the next manager of Liverpool

I was just about to post that, are you watching Sky Sports News as well?

CWright said:
super mick mcarthy said:
The Liverpool Echo has today reported that Benitez WILL be the next manager of Liverpool

I was just about to post that, are you watching Sky Sports News as well?

I am too :D . But you have to time it just on the hour. Anything else and you get a load of other sports ;)

Benitez has now announced he will stay at Valencia for another year......this gets more bizarre by the hour

i think that liverpool shouldnt spend alot this season...like wat mathewsss said...a oleary could happen...so i would just buy 2 or 3...set a foundation...then go on and spash the cash next season

not so sure....he hinted in yesterday's press conference about a good relationship between the manager and the board for a successful club.
with abramovich demanding the Premiership, CL and good attacking football to boot, I don't think Mourinho would want to go to Chelsea.
there would be too much pressure.

There must be a secret truth about benitez joining liverpool. The ECHO doesn't post bullshit.

looks like mourinho has said he would join the club he gave his word to.
and that he's stopped talking to clubs in the last few weeks.
It might most probably be Chelsea then.

In that case, I hope we get Benitez, but then again why would he
want to leave Valencia when they've just won the Spanish title
and could next year have a real go at the CL.
Does'nt add up that he would come and join Liverpool.
But then again, stranger things have happened.

If we lose out on those two, then we're screwed with Owen poised
to leave in the summer.

oojason said:
Owen says he won't do a Bosman - tho McMoneyman also said the same thing at a certain stage of his contract negotiations too.

Owen's reported quotes on GH were hardly sympathetic, and it hardly puts the fans' minds at rest at a time when he could have signed a new contract any time over the past year.

Now it looks like it'll be the start of the season before he signs - and if he does it's not difficult to forsee there'll probably be a get-out clause for a certain amount of money or perhaps it'll only be a 2 year exntension - which leaves us in the same position at the end of next season - worrying about tying him to the club.

Depending on the new manager (who may/may not rate him) it may be time for the club to take a tough stance and give Owen the ultimatum.

You're right, Actually it could get interesting if the new manager who comes in does'nt really want Owen in his plans. He might sell him to
Spain/Italy and cash out on him.
Same goes for Cisse, if he joins before the new manager.

mathewsss said:
oojason said:

You're right, Actually it could get interesting if the new manager who comes in does'nt really want Owen in his plans. He might sell him to
Spain/Italy and cash out on him.
Same goes for Cisse, if he joins before the new manager.

Thats just the kind of stunt Mourinho would pull :mrgreen: .

I reckon, if Mourinho does come in, he will sell Owen.

possibly some good news then.......
looks like we have landed Rafa Benitez...
(according to the Guardian...who also announced we would sack
Houllier two days before it happened)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1225691,00.html

"Rafael Benítez will be named as Liverpool's manager next month, swapping his post with Valencia, the Spanish champions, for Merseyside.
The Spaniard has emerged as the unanimous choice of the board after the sacking of Gérard Houllier and the belated concession that they have missed out on Porto's Jose Mourinho, who might have been their first choice but is to be named as Chelsea's manager.
........."

As a portuguese and being aware of all football news and rumours here i can say i'm 99% sure Mourinho will go to Chelsea. Although i think it would be better for him to sign for Liverpool but...

Benitez from valencia has confirmed that liverpool have mad a approach! although it said on the news yesterday that morgan has gone on holiday for 2 weeks so i doubt anything will be done well he is away!

By next month Benitez will be manager of LFC.

Has been reported on the forums of the more knowledgable LFC websites that Mourinho actually favours Liverpool - tho had already given his word to Chelsea, and refuses to go back on it.

Interesetingly, Benitez tried to take Diouf to Valencia - tho we got him instead. Seems like Diouf's Anfield career may noy be quite over yet...

yeah I've heard that Mourinho actually did approach Liverpool earlier in the season, but the board were not ready to sack GH at that time.
By the time GH did leave, Mourinho had already given his word to Chelsea.

Benitez would be good for us. I'm really looking forward to
the quality of football we'll play under him.
Even if he did keep Diouf, he might actually get more out of him than GH.
A lot depends on the coaching and tactics applied.

Rumour has it that Ayala and Aimar could follow him to LFC.
That would be some double-signing !!
With Cisse on the way, next season could really be the when we get
back to the big time.

In a troubling time regarding choices over the manager, the new stadium and the Thai bid it's great to hear that Benitez will probably be our next manager and making the right noises in the media to reveal his intent.

If he can get us playing like Valencia did when they came to Anfield where we didn't get a kick that would hopefully see our better players firing on all cylinders - and make a charge for the title.

(not that I'm getting ahead of myself or anything - lol)

Back
Top Bottom