Liverpool Thread

~Postie~ said:
I think that GH will stay for another season, tbh

but in the likely event that he'll go, has anybody wondered that Ranieri could fill the spot?

Course, he hasn't left Chelsea yet; but it's certainly worth throwing his name into the hat

Should GH go, then Ranieri would be an ideal choice, tho given the 'GH-OUT' knobs who have slated everything GH says in post-match interviews they'd have a field day with Ranieri if he din't deliver the Premiership soon ;)

Although I'm not a big fan of GH, I feel he could get better treatment than what the board are doing:

http://www.koptalk.org/archive/editor/210504.shtml

Yet again the Liverpool FC way of doing things presents us with another farcical situation. One where supporters are left scratching their heads as usual while the club keep them in the dark. The hierachy have time to allegedly leak stuff to the national media to help intensify the situation but nobody can put together a couple of sentences for the millions of fans around the globe.

I don't care whether you want him sacked or not, the bloke deserves more than this. I've been very critical of the manager many, many times but I will never forget the tears he shed when he delivered the treble in 2001. Then of course the tale about him having a radio sneaked into the hospital when he was critically ill so that he could listen to our games under his sheets. The comparisons to Shankly have ceased but I still have a lot of respect for the man and if he is pushed, it would be a very, very emotional day for me. On one hand I would be relieved but on the other I'd be gutted. It would be a strange day but we all move on because you get nowhere in life by just been nice, just ask Roy Evans.

We always new that the club were going to review the situation at the end of the season but I just feel it has all been handled wrong. Are they trying to force his hand so the pressure builds up so much so that he cracks and hands in his resignation saving the club a packet in compensation or has this situation been deliberately timed to take us away from the proposed Thai deal? They sack Houllier and the speculation that will follow will be far more exciting and interesting than any investment proposals from Thailand.

Still, I can't help but think that the boss is getting a bit of his own treatment at the moment that he has dished out to various people associated to the club, be they current players or retired players from decades gone by. It's so ironic that this time he could be the one bombed out with little notice.

The club made Gerard Houllier joint manager with Roy Evans because they wouldn't sack him as they hoped he'd resign under pressure, a bit like now really. It would have cost the club a couple of million if they sacked him. It's like going back in time.

I don't think it's fair to play with people's lives. It may be football and business but it doesn't mean it's right. I'm going to be controversial but I'd like to see him remain in charge until he sees out his contract. This gives him one final push, especially with Cisse coming in. How can we proceed with a multi-million pound transfer that may not fit in with the plans of the new manager?

What will be, will be. We'll just have to let the board do what they think is best. But I plead with them to either back him or sack him as quickly as possible.

I've always said that GH would leave of his own accord...so maybe the board are pressuring him to do so

but I've also said that I think he'll stay for another season.

I had an Emile Heskey "I Beleive" campaign going once, prediciting in August 2003 that he'd score 20 league goals this past season.

I was going to start a Gerard Houllier "I Beleive" campaign, but seeing as Heskey's fell on it's ass (and made me out to be a fool in the process ;)) I don't think I'll bother... ;)

GH, Parry and Moores all have holidays scheduled this week. I believe that Parry and Moores go away on Wednesday - I imagine any announcements regarding GH's position as manager will be made before then.

Now that a lot of websites (BBC, Guardian, etc) are reporting that GH will go, why do I feel sad ?
Although I want him to go, a part of me is sad at the way this
saga is being played out in the media.
He deserves a bit more respect.
I always wanted GH to be the man to lead us to the Title, but the last 2 seasons proved that we need someone else for that final push.

But football these days is all about results, and sadly Houllier is not
the man to take us beyond 4th place.

Curbishley seems to be the favourite to take over.
He's a good young manager who may have a great future ahead of
him. But his lack of experience (trophies/europe) does worry me.

The bookies seem to have slashed odds on Strachan, tho I can't help feeling there isn't really a Prem manager (Ranieri aside) who'd be up to the task without want time and money.

Not too sure about some of the foreign managers being touted for the job either.

A press conference has been called for 12 noon. Hopefully we will find out Houllier's future. BTW i'm one of the minority who want him to stay.

this is taking the pish

it's obvious a decision has been made, I wish Moores/Parry/whoever would announce it and get it over and done with

Hopefully the conference at noon should sort it all out. It seems that Houlliers time is up and that he will leave by `mutual consent` even tho its fairly obvious the board have lost their faith in him. Why they want to keep the trend of not sacking a manager I dont know

so will they name the new manager as well at noon?

or keep us waiting for another couple of weeks?

The current murmur is that Curbishley will be our new manager and one Liverpool bookie has stopped taking bets on the Charlton man taking over

I think it was time for a shake up at Liverpool to be honest - we need more teams challenging at the top of the Prem otherwise it is going to get stale.

Oh well, he's gone. I just hope the board make the right decision on his replacement. I don't want Alan Curbishley to be manager, he's unproven. We need a manager who is tried and proven. I think Benitez would be a good choice, maybe we should run a poll on who we think should be the next manager.

Thats right Houllier get your self some GONE,

P.S

Thanks for the cups, good luck in whatever you do

jayjays said:
I don't want Alan Curbishley to be manager, he's unproven.

I wouldnt say he's unproven really, he's done wonders at Charlton with no budget and a crap team. If he can do that well with Charlton think what he can manage with Gerrard and Owen.

Lets not get carried away now, no doubt curbs has done well with charlton, but this is liverpool for havens sake we need a CLASS, PROVEN manager.

Disqo said:
Lets not get carried away now, no doubt curbs has done well with charlton, but this is liverpool for havens sake we need a CLASS, PROVEN manager.
i think your going to appoint a british based manager and if i could choose one it would probably be Curbishley

done wonders for Charlton on a near nothing budget and is a good player developer, your best bet in my eyes

what about the tinkerman himself, if i was a liverpool fan i'd want or ranieri.

or o'neill.

good luck to ged houllier in the future too.

I prefer O'Neill one major factor is that Curbishley hasn't had any experience handling a team in european competition and you know that the CL is O'Neills major objection for next season whereever he is.

But we could also see the shock re-appointment of Dalglish...

Ranieri no thankyou, he's good but not that good...we want to be moving forwards not backwards, he'll be more suited to a team like Tottenham...

well one things for sure they wouldnt give Houllier the boot unless someone was allready lined up, who the hell that is will remain a mystery for a week or so me thinks......

and on to Houllier, not a bad manager I suppose but I think its major players he signed who didnt live upto expectation, not to forget trying everything under the sun to partner Owen, and otehr things like some negative gameplay (too defensive) but on the positive a few trophys and also hes built apparently one of the best training grounds at LFC in England.

I've got a feeling that the board are going to go for someone who isn't the bookie or fans favorite and somebody who has rather slipped through the media net, so to sepak...

what about Ottmar Hitzfeld, multiple domestic trophies and a European Cup each with Bayern and Dortmund

He's acheived success at two of the biggest clubs in Europe (well, they used to be) - not an easy feat. A proven manager in class and ability. Oh and he's currently unemployed.

So forget Curbishley, Benetez and O'Neill....I want Hitzfeld

Of course we all want a big name manager but at the moment the decision is in the Anfield boards hands, will they make the right choice? Who are we to say until the new season starts in August and we see how the team plays, I for one am looking forward to the new term with a new man at the helm

I want Ranieri to be honest

Curbishly has done well, but could he handle the pressures of a club the size of Liverpool? He's never really been put to the test with handling high profile players and a club

Ah well, guess we'll soon see

RIP The Houllier/Liverpool Relationship - YNWA

~Postie~ said:
I've got a feeling that the board are going to go for someone who isn't the bookie or fans favorite and somebody who has rather slipped through the media net, so to sepak...

what about Ottmar Hitzfeld, multiple domestic trophies and a European Cup each with Bayern and Dortmund

He's acheived success at two of the biggest clubs in Europe (well, they used to be) - not an easy feat. A proven manager in class and ability. Oh and he's currently unemployed.

So forget Curbishley, Benetez and O'Neill....I want Hitzfeld

I'm still with you Postie 8)
Hitzfeld is proven, Curbishley or O'Neill have only seen a big club as the opposition.

PS: Any more boards I should check? ;)

I thought I recognised you :D

and here's my Broadcast from...er...another place

We need a wise head, we need some experience in domestic and european football, we need a proven track record, we need a man who has taken two clubs to the Bundesliga title and the Champions League Winners Circle (in the last seven years, no less) and we need to look aboard...

Ottmar Hitzfeld is your man, he buys good players...for the good of the club

Thank you

~Postie~ said:
I thought I recognised you :D

and here's my Broadcast from...er...another place

We need a wise head, we need some experience in domestic and european football, we need a proven track record, we need a man who has taken two clubs to the Bundesliga title and the Champions League Winners Circle (in the last seven years, no less) and we need to look aboard...

Ottmar Hitzfeld is your man, he buys good players...for the good of the club

Thank you

That was a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of Mr Hitzfeld funded by Postie ;)

Back
Top Bottom