Liverpool Thread

ClassicD said:
mathewsss said:
No, the board made a good decision.
The "Liverpool millionaire"'s deal was cheaper than the Thai offer,
and the Scouser was making all the noise that he represents
the fans, etc, blah....when all he was doing was to rip them off
into making a cheap deal.
But like Harvy said, it's deplorable that public money will be used to fund this, and it will make no mistake.

man city's stadium was built with public money, no one was arsed about that...

Boro said:
Congrats liverpool on selling heskey ;)

I'm gutted that heskey is leaving lfc :(

Apparently the deal with the Thai fella isnt done yet, some thing about problems with the kit...

Looks like the board are reviewing Houllier's position.
rumour is that he could get sacked this week !!
wonder if they have a replacement lined up already .......

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
man city's stadium was built with public money, no one was arsed about that...
That was built for the Commonwealth Games, not specifically for Man City. This guy will be sucking his own economy dry to put money into Liverpool, and Thailand is hardly the most well-off nation in the world.

The sack for Houllier rumours

Smithy rumours

Barton rumours

Stevie G leaving rumours

Can we please have something in concrete!!

Some news for the Americans amongst us

Celtic v Liverpool
July 26 2004, 8:00pm ET
Rentschler Field - E. Hartford, CT

TICKETS ON SALE NOW

Hartford Ticketmaster: 860-525-4500
Group Tickets: 800-380-3208

$100 - Platinum - Lower level between penalty boxes

$65 - Gold - Lower level corners & 2nd level center

$50 - Celtic Supporters - Supporters section behind goal

$50 - Liverpool Supporters - Supporters section behind goal

$35 - Silver - Upper level

Porto v. Liverpool
July 30 2004 - 8:00pm ET
SkyDome - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tickets for Liverpool's match against Porto at the SkyDome in Toronto will go on sale to the general public on Friday May 21 at TicketMaster outlets, TicketMaster Charge-by-Phone and online at www.ticketmaster.com.

As a special offer exclusively for MasterCard cardholders using their MasterCard card, more than 9,000 tickets will be available prior to the general sale. During the pre-sale, tickets will be sold through TicketMaster Charge-by-Phone and online at www.ticketmaster.com. Fans can take advantage of this special MasterCard opportunity beginning on Wednesday, May 19.

Liverpool v AS Roma
August 3 2004
8:00 pm ET
Giants Stadium - E. Rutherford, NJ
TICKETS ON SALE NOW

New Jersey Ticketmaster: 201-507-8900
Group Tickets: 201-460-4370

$85 - Platinum - Lower level and mezzanine between goals

$60 - Gold - Lower level corners, mezzanine end and corners

$50 - Liverpool Supporters - Supporters section behind goal

$50 - Roma Supporters - Supporters section behind goal

$50 - Silver - Lower level behind goal

$40 - Bronze - Upper level center

$35 - Upper - Upper level

crap...none of those Liverpool games are in California.
I wanted to go, (i've never seen the reds play before)...
just too much busy stuff this summer for me to leave home.

60% of the money from the Thai deal will come from a national style lottery, the other 40% will be coming from private companies wishing to further Thailand as a sporting 'power'.

The Thai Govt will own the stake in LFC - so the stake is effectively with the people of Thailand - via the Thai Govt, and not with Thaksin as an individual

The one 'snag' from stopping the deal being signed is the number of seats on the LFC Board of Directors want - they want 2 seats, LFC are offering only 1.

oojason said:
60% of the money from the Thai deal will come from a national style lottery, the other 40% will be coming from private companies wishing to further Thailand as a sporting 'power'.

The Thai Govt will own the stake in LFC - so the stake is effectively with the people of Thailand - via the Thai Govt, and not with Thaksin as an individual

The one 'snag' from stopping the deal being signed is the number of seats on the LFC Board of Directors want - they want 2 seats, LFC are offering only 1.

I'm not sure of what the difference between 1 and 2 seats would be (as I don't know the total number of seats) but I think it a good idea for any club to limit the number of seats a country can have on the club's board to as low a number as possible.

A country trying to run a soccer team sounds like a very bad idea.

anybody no anything from your side about joey barton! from what ive heard were selling him to you for 3m so we can buy van buyton!

jamie_mack said:
anybody no anything from your side about joey barton! from what ive heard were selling him to you for 3m so we can buy van buyton!
Only a rumour. Same as rosicky and van der vaart............

eatontj said:
oojason said:

I'm not sure of what the difference between 1 and 2 seats would be (as I don't know the total number of seats) but I think it a good idea for any club to limit the number of seats a country can have on the club's board to as low a number as possible.

A list of Board Members:-

D.R.Moores
R.N.Parry B.Sc, F.C.A.
N.White F.S.C.A,
T.D.Smith
K.E.B.Clayton F.C.A,
J.Burns
L. Wheatley
J.Cresswell
H.E.Roberts
J.T.Cross
Gérard Houllier (Manager)
W.B.Morrison (Secretary)

I make that 12 members, and for the foreseeable future I agree that the Thais should only have 1 seat on the board.

jamie_mack said:

The more reliable sources are saying that Barton will join for £2.5million - tho never believe the silly season transfer mill. PlanetFootball will probably be running the GinGan Guily to LFC story again on a slow news day!

Rosisky is a more interesting bit of transfer gossip - esp given alleged quotes from himself and his agent - and given the current state of Dortmund's finances...

If LFC are in the transfer market hopefully we'll get our targets before Euro2004 - and therefore any transfer fee skyrocketing due to a player doing well and more clubs becoming interested.

Liverpoolfc.tv said:
Vote Result: Young Player of the Season

Milan Baros: 4088
Florent Sinama Pongolle: 1362
Chris Kirkland: 1075
Anthony Le Tallec: 794
El Hadji Diouf: 329
Jon Otsemobor: 244
Neil Mellor: 209
John Welsh: 127
Djimi Traore: 47
Michael Foley: 21
Patrice Luzi: 19
Carl Medjani: 14
Zak Whitbread: 8
Darren Potter: 7

Milan won it by quite a way, wonder if the manager will notice this

oojason said:
eatontj said:
oojason said:

A list of Board Members:-

D.R.Moores
R.N.Parry B.Sc, F.C.A.
N.White F.S.C.A,
T.D.Smith
K.E.B.Clayton F.C.A,
J.Burns
L. Wheatley
J.Cresswell
H.E.Roberts
J.T.Cross
Gérard Houllier (Manager)
W.B.Morrison (Secretary)

I make that 12 members, and for the foreseeable future I agree that the Thais should only have 1 seat on the board.

Thank you.

Steve Morgan has withdrawn his offer to Liverpool FC:-

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1221935,00.html

Personally I think the guy has tried to pull the wool over a lot of LFC fans' eyes. Valuing the club at around 40% of it's true worth, trying to gather support of fans by offering them a near worthless sharescheme, together with his continues attacks on GH and our Chairman

He didn't even have the decency to wait until the season was over - no, he had to have a go during the most important time of the season. Sly digs at those in power at LFC during our important CL run-in showed for me that he isn't a true fan with 'best interests of the club at heart' - he can f*&^ back off to Jersey.

Sadly I get the feeling he'll be waiting in the background for another poor set of results before he stirs it up again.

Seems like this guy didn't put up and won't shut up.

too much uncertainty at the club.
Morgan is playing to the fans, rather than the club's interests.
The thai offer looks the lesser of the two evils.

Houllier could be sacked next week, with rumours that his successor
could be Rafa Benitez/O'Niell/Curbishley/McClaren.

I think I just typed up something about GH not going anywhere and it being all media crap.

Unfortunately, just found out that next week will see the official announcement that GH will be gone.

Absolutely gutted.

oojason said:
I think I just typed up something about GH not going anywhere and it being all media crap.

Unfortunately, just found out that next week will see the official announcement that GH will be gone.

Absolutely gutted.

If the Board have found a good replacement for him, then I'm glad
he'll be gone.
I think Houllier did well in his first 3 seasons, but it's gone downhill
since then.
Unlike many fans who berate the frenchman, I think Houllier deserves
the respect and good wishes for the time he's been in charge.
It's just that for the next level, we need someone better.
Like Steven Gerrard has mentioned, we need atleast 3 world-class
players, and if we get the cash-injection (hope so!), then we need
to spend wisely.
Unfortunately Houllier has wasted too much money on too many
"potential" signings.
It's time to move on. Thank you GH, good luck for the future.

I agree a few of his signings have not lived up to their potential - or failed at the standards at which LFC set.

Diao, Cheyrou and Diouf have with varying degrees of misfortune let themselves down, as well as GH and the fans.

Tho lets not forget that all managers make mistakes in the transfer market - and fortunately for Wenger (Jeffers & Wiltord) and Ferguson (Veron & Ronaldo) they have league success to paper over any shortcomings in the transfer market.

GH spent £5m, £3.5m and £8.5m on the 3 aforementioned players, you could argue Biscan at £5.5m should be included with those - yet those 4 combined cost less than Veron on his own and the £10m paid for Jeffers should be a subject for the Trading Standards ppl.

For me the amount of bargains and players worth their fees outweigh those who don't or didn't - he replaced an entire squad, won 6 trophies, qualifies for the CL 3 times with those players.

The likes of Baros, Riise, Pongolle, Le Tallec, Medjani and Diarra will all have decent careers ahead of them - and for most that 1st chance to become a 'star player' will happen here. All bought for fractions of what other managers have paid double or treble for, for pale imitations.

For me GH deserved to have his contract honoured (1more season) - we may not have won the league, tho I firmly believe we would have been closer than this season (tho it could be argued that would not be difficult).

A new manager - a new plan, new money, new players - more time needed. People connceted with LFC live in interesting times. Tho time will probably be the reason the next bloke doesn't work out either...

oojason said:
Tho lets not forget that all managers make mistakes in the transfer market - and fortunately for Wenger (Jeffers & Wiltord) and Ferguson (Veron & Ronaldo) they have league success to paper over any shortcomings in the transfer market.

Don't speak too soon mate ;)

LIVERPOOL have been accused of creating an “undignified” air of uncertainty over their handling of Gérard Houllier’s future and the proposed investment in the club. Steve Morgan, the Jersey-based multimillionaire, withdrew his proposed £73 million investment yesterday with a swipe at the board for the way that the drawn-out saga of the manager’s expected dismissal has been conducted.

The Liverpool board decided reluctantly this week to start searching for a replacement for Houllier, who has still to be informed of his fate. Rick Parry, the chief executive, and David Moores, the chairman, were determined to handle the issue sensitively, but the continuing uncertainty about the managership, and the proposed investments by Morgan and a Thai consortium, prompted Morgan to rebuke the board yesterday.

“I am disappointed with the outcome and feel that I have no option but to withdraw my offer,” he said. “I am a proud supporter of Liverpool FC but the uncertainty and constant speculation surrounding its future is undignified for the club and its fans. I would implore the board to bring all of the uncertainty surrounding the club and the manager to a rapid conclusion.”

Parry is reported to have flown to Spain yesterday, fuelling suspicions that he may be about to approach Rafael Benítez, the Valencia coach, although another candidate, Alan Curbishley, the Charlton Athletic manager, was also said to be in Spain. Contrary to reports, Martin O’Neill, the Celtic manager, is not among the leading candidates to replace Houllier.

I love the rumour mill :roll:

Gazz22 said:
oojason said:

Don't speak too soon mate ;)

I've no doubt that Ronaldo will become a good player - the coaches and Ferguson will ensure that - tho £13million for a trickster who was hyped up only for his performance vs Bolton is a bit much - esp as the other great prospects from that great U21 Tournament cost nowhere near that much.

Apparently, GH will be sacked today if the reports below are to be believed.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1222908,00.html
"Gérard Houllier's increasingly fraught six years in charge of Liverpool will end today when he meets chairman David Moores for talks.

The manager's departure will be confirmed in an official announcement tomorrow, which will describe the split as amicable. On the list of likely replacements being compiled by chief executive Rick Parry are Charlton boss Alan Curbishley, former Southampton manager Gordon Strachan, Middlesbrough's Steve McClaren and Rafael Benitez, whose Valencia side have just won a double of La Liga and the Uefa Cup,. ................."

.......oh dear, I hope it's not Strachan.
If the board are going to sack Houllier, then atleast get a good replacement.
Curbishley & McClaren are good managers, but lack the experience,
especially if their first competitive game is CL knockout game against
a tough European team.
Mourinho would have been the best choice, but he's going to Chelsea
or so.
Interesting few months ahead.

O'Neill gets my vote over anyone, closely followed by Hitzfield.

And what's this paper talk about Baros being a target for Villa, I hope it's just paper talk cause we'd be stupid to let such a quality player go, especially to another prem club.

I think that GH will stay for another season, tbh

but in the likely event that he'll go, has anybody wondered that Ranieri could fill the spot?

Course, he hasn't left Chelsea yet; but it's certainly worth throwing his name into the hat

Back
Top Bottom