Liverpool Thread

What do you guys think about Ranieri ?
Rumour is that there are some English clubs interested in his services
if and when he is sacked at Chelsea.

If Houllier is sacked/resigns this summer, would the Italian
be a good manager for Liverpool ?
He has managed some teams that play good attractive football.
(Valencia, Chelsea).

super mick mcarthy said:
Ranieri imo is a great manager
although, if he is the man for Liverpool. i doubt it

He's a good manager mind but his style of football is similar to GH in that its pretty defensive, I cant see LFC going for the continental approach after GH...

I always thought Keegan would go back to LFC, although his managerial career has been pretty unsucessful he usually gets his teams playing attractive football, just dont think he's got the temprement to manage a club like LFC.

We dont want your money, say Liverpool board

Liverpool have rejected an offer from property developer Steve Morgan to make a substantial investment in the club.

Rumours have been circulating that Morgan, who has a five percent shareholding in the club, was lining up a deal to buy out current chairman David Moores, but he has dismissed the suggestions.

Morgan is keen to get on the Liverpool board and had proposed injecting cash into the club via a rights issue but the club's board had turned this proposal down.

"He has made a formal conditional proposal to underwrite a rights issue, which would result in a very significant injection of new capital into the club," said a statement issued on behalf of Morgan.

"The purpose of the proposed rights issue would be to strengthen the playing squad and to assist in the financing of the planned new stadium.

"The proposal has been turned down by the Liverpool board. Mr Morgan now awaits the outcome of the board's strategic and financing review with interest."

Liverpool have also found themselves subject of interest of a consortium led by Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, but Moores is thought to be keen to maintain control at Anfield.

Surely a bit more financial oomph would have been a good thing

Meanwhile, Liverpool midfielder John Welsh has been linked with a possible move to Sunderland.

Sunderland are keen to bolster their squad before the close of the transfer window and are thought to be exploring the option of signing Welsh on loan.

Welsh is highly rated at Anfield and Reds boss Gerard Houllier is willing to loan him out so that he can gain valuable first team experience.

As long as its only on loan, he could be the next big Academy player

I don't get the part where Liverpool turn down money... but I guess no one wants to lose power.

Seems to me that an infusion of cash is in the best interests of the club. But I guess I don't know the entire story on Morgan here... what is he, some sort of jerk?

eatontj said:
I don't get the part where Liverpool turn down money... but I guess no one wants to lose power.

Seems to me that an infusion of cash is in the best interests of the club. But I guess I don't know the entire story on Morgan here... what is he, some sort of jerk?

Why do they need money, they have a great academy/training ground already built and a 40K plus stadium.

Nah LFC are a well run club they do not need an influx of cash, they need a new stadium, but not the sort of investment that this guy is offering.

Also accepting this sort of thing implies that the club is in difficulty, and that is not the image LFC are happy to portray after a relativley poor season.

eatontj said:

Morgan is a self made millionaire who made his fortune from the Redrow group, kind of like Barratts but more expensive. He sold the company a few years ago and now spends his days gardening and playing Champ Manager.

It seems our current board dont want to let him in as he (Morgan) sees the current management as crap and that we arent moving forward under Houllier

marseille next,it should be curtains for us now.lets hope we put everythin into gettin 4th spot in the premiership then.0-0 at the stade velodromme..

All you L'pool fans - couple of questions:

1 - is 'scouser" an insult or do y'all call yerself that, too, and say it with pride?

2 -what kinda bird is that on the crest? what is it;s significance to the team, etc.?

ghazi said:
All you L'pool fans - couple of questions:

1 - is 'scouser" an insult or do y'all call yerself that, too, and say it with pride?

2 -what kinda bird is that on the crest? what is it;s significance to the team, etc.?

Scousers is what we are and its not considered an insult, not to my knowledge anyway.

And the bird on the crest is a `Liver Bird,` pronounced Live-r, its a city thing

scouser is used with pride from round here, and just have to say tonights performace was absolutly diabolical it made me sick

I hope Liverpool can recover from this. Its always disappointing to be knocked out of Europe but I hope now the lads could concentrate fully on the league. We should be behind the team when they need us the most.........

BTW: whats with the kits tonight? How comes theres no logo?

_39966075_heskey_emp300x245.jpg

Worryingly, now that Celtic has won against in-form Barca tonight, MON must have caught the attention of a couple of the big clubs :S

the kits was due to alcohol being advertised on the kit i think and it isnt allowed in france, thats what i think it was

id put money on o neill ending up at liverpool now but i hope houllier doesnt get sacked. as a spurs fan it looks as if ur gonna be chasing the same batch of candidates as us and i cant see anyone turning down liverpool for spurs :( .

personally i cant see a 'bigger' club (sorry) than liverpool going for o neill. i just cant see man u or chelsea going for someone with such a dubious reputation as a tactician when there going for the champs league but at the mo liverpool dont really have a lot to lose.

Well, that was a horrible display once again. Just to point out, GH took at team at least as good (individually) as the opponent (Marseille) and was made to look like shite...

... while MON took a team that most consider inferior (again, individually) and produced a positive result.

Great.

yeah I was going to ask the same thing, I thought it would be too farfetched to see them dump their sponsor :(

would of been great though.

Just concentrating on 4th place in the Premiership now, how shit is that.

I read something interesting in the papers yesterday, we are closer to relegation than to the top of the table :shock:

CWright said:
I read something interesting in the papers yesterday, we are closer to relegation than to the top of the table :shock:

tis true, from 4th / 5th to the bottom its pretty tight...

has a nice ring to it cheers for that, more ammo!!

Gotta say it was pure poetic justice last nite, for me it wasnt even close to the worse decision I've ever seen, the worse was at Anfield the year of your plastic treble, a pen was awarded for the away team only for the ref to change his mind and give a corner, and lfc went on to win the cup....

In a moment of madness Houllier decides to play the very incompetent Biscan instead of Henchoz(WHY?) which lead to him giving away a penalty & being sent off.

Like it was said up to that point we were playing good and looked like that we could have beaten Marseille with ease.

We'll just have to concerntrate on getting that elusive 4th place.

Look at Newcastle who put 7 goals past Mallorca, I can't see us getting past them for 4th spot.
It will be good for the club if we finish below 4th and Houllier is sacked.
That's the only way he'll be pushed.
If we finish 4th, then get ready for another season of GH.

After yesterday's performance, I think Brian Clough sums it all up:

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes."

I used to think what mathewsss said however in the long run, finishing below 4th in the league will not do us any good. I've got a strange feeling that by next season, Houllier will not be with Liverpool anymore - especially after all the criticism he and the club is getting. This will not change whether we come fourth place or not.

To me, GH will always be a legend for moving us away from that dreadful period (prior to his arrival) and that fantastic 2000/1 season. I think he and the club knows that for the sake of his reputation, he should leave to make way for a new guy.

rockykabir said:
After yesterday's performance, I think Brian Clough sums it all up:

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes."

I used to think what mathewsss said however in the long run, finishing below 4th in the league will not do us any good. I've got a strange feeling that by next season, Houllier will not be with Liverpool anymore - especially after all the criticism he and the club is getting. This will not change whether we come fourth place or not.

To me, GH will always be a legend for moving us away from that dreadful period (prior to his arrival) and that fantastic 2000/1 season. I think he and the club knows that for the sake of his reputation, he should leave to make way for a new guy.
Superb post.

Back
Top Bottom