Liverpool Thread

Owen worst player on the pitch?????? where was he decent service?

the only chances you created involved owen.

I watched Skys coverage of the match this afternoon and Houlliers after match chat to Sky did my confidence in him no good at all. He looked as if he had no idea what to do next or even why his players werent managing to score some goals and win these games that we, apparently, should.

For me playing 5 across a midfield and rotating them is not the way a team should be asked to perform especially when nobody seems to know where they should be playing. A lone striker will not win you a game and even when Baros came on at half time for Heskey the formation didnt seem to change, there was many a time when I saw Baros in midfield looking for the ball and trying to feed in our main striker. When a player is as short as Owen there is no point hoofing a ball up in the air and hoping he will get a knock on as he is never gonna win it when challenged by 2 six foot odd defenders.

At home or away this season Houllier seems to be happy with the 451 rotating formation he has picked up from God knows where. He also seems to think it is working well which makes me wonder if he is watching the same match as me.

He also seems to think that one goal is enough and as soon as we score it he encourages us to sit back and then let our opposition keep coming at us. In case he hasnt noticed our defence isnt exactly as strong as it was and our current centre back partnership, tho they are good with balls around their feet, struggle when a ball is played around them or past them as they lack the pace to catch anyone who gets a run on them.

It seems that Stevie G is carrying the team at the minute and as good as he is he cant do all the work on his own, I dread to think what would happen if we were to lose him for any period of time.

The manager must take responsibility for the players and tactics he employs and if he is running out of ideas then its time for him to leave and we can get a manager who knows more than one way to play

loz said:
Owen worst player on the pitch?????? where was he decent service?

the only chances you created involved owen.

I've watched the game twice... he was hardly open, never seemed to make a run to recieve a threatening pass. That said, it could be he was going along with GH's tactics... or that somehow, a Pompey defender is capable of marking a "world class" player out of the game.

Face it, Owen stunk up the joint today.

Oh, and very nice post CW.

it was probably one of the most boring games ive seen this season. but fact is owen looked good when he got on the ball and ran at people, however he cant beat a whole 4 man defence by himself and the lack of midfield support made the job even harder for him.

loz said:
it was probably one of the most boring games ive seen this season. but fact is owen looked good when he got on the ball and ran at people, however he cant beat a whole 4 man defence by himself and the lack of midfield support made the job even harder for him.

He lost the ball every time he ran at anybody! His best chance was made by a Pompey defender gifting him the ball at the top of the penalty area and his best play was his well passed knock on to FSP (a pass any striker would make)... and he missed a PK.

Maybe, instead of trying to beat 4 defenders at once, he should use his skill to hold the ball and wait for support... like other skilled strikers do.

Again, he may have just been following GH's tactics, but he looked like shite.

owen doesnt look intrested anymore.who would anyways?with the service he's gettin or rather not gettin,what exactly is he suppossed to do?i blame it on gh tactics.stevie g seems to be the only one who knows what the fuck is to be done.owen doesnt need to prove anythin to anyone,everyone's seen his goal scorin abilities.i strongly feel that is has to be him or houllier who leaves come next season.owen wont stick around if we dont make changes.and it hopefully will start with the manager....

I agree with the guy from Denver....everyone keeps going on about Owen's lack of service etc, but the fact is his general play is average. And when he was going to take the penalty I won a tenner from a friend cos I know Owen has missed about 7 out of 12 pen whereas Murphy has scored all his 8 or 9 he has ever taken. Why doesnt anyone else take off there blinkers and realise this fact? I bet Owen has this agreement that if he doesnty take a penalty he WILL bugger off...so now we are resigned to more missed pens.....come on lad, surely some of you knew her would miss unless u have short memories??????

i meant to say at the end:-

''pens.....come on lads, surely some of you knew he would miss unless u have short memories??????''

heres a piece proving my point above, this was the home match (2-0) vs West Brom last year where he missed a pen, and even 18 months ago it was a well known fact he misses pens, cos Owen cannot do fuckall with a dead ball, in the same way that Beckham can only do things when there IS a deadball....... :-

''.....boss Gary Megson after the game. The keeper was subsequently granted an early bath, and lifelong Liverpool fan and former Tranmere Rovers keeper Joe Murphy was faced with the unenviable task of facing Owen from twelve yards in the resultant spot kick. He needn't have worried as true to form, Owen produced a woeful effort, easily saved by the rookie keeper, marking his sixth miss from the last twelve spot kicks. Owen's world class, but please don't let him take penalties.......''

Yeah Eaton, I also woke up at 6:00am to watch the game here.
Not exactly the best way to start a sunday.

Regarding Owen, when we got the penalty I was hoping it would'nt be him
taking it. When I saw the way he was preparing to take it, I knew he was going to miss....and surely enough.
Don't know why GH cannot ask somebody else like Murphy who is far more successful in taking pens.

I also feel the problem in our team is the tactics.
Playing 5 in a midfield with Heskey is not just right....does'nt make
sense in a must-win game.

I had predicted at the beginning of the season that we could end up losing Owen, Gerrard if GH is still manager.
I really hope the board takes a strong stand for the good of the club.

The only plus point is Baros. He's back and he will make a big difference to the team IF he is selected.
GH really needs to stop this in-game rotation of Cheyrou to attack and rotating the wingers...let's first settle on a winning formation, then think of confusing the opposition with changes in formation.

if i were a liverpool fan i would lower my expectations a bit to save myself from crying every week.

apart from that one good season (uefa cup triumph and 2nd place finish?), liverpool have looked just like any other premiership team, battling out to see who is second best behind arsenal, chelsea and man u.

at the mo, i think liverpool is in about the same class as newcastle. you guys should finish 4th or 5th.

methic said:
if i were a liverpool fan i would lower my expectations a bit to save myself from crying every week.

apart from that one good season (uefa cup triumph and 2nd place finish?), liverpool have looked just like any other premiership team, battling out to see who is second best behind arsenal, chelsea and man u.

at the mo, i think liverpool is in about the same class as newcastle. you guys should finish 4th or 5th.

Give me a break, ManU, Arsenal, and Chelsea don't automatically get the top three every season from now on... things change all the time. I'm sure if you were to look back 10 years from now, you'll see at least 6-7 teams in the top 3 spots.

Liverpool can easily have a resurgence.

eatontj said:
methic said:

Give me a break, ManU, Arsenal, and Chelsea don't automatically get the top three every season from now on... things change all the time. I'm sure if you were to look back 10 years from now, you'll see at least 6-7 teams in the top 3 spots.

It's true, this will be Chelsea's best season for a while, last year they just got 4th and Newcastle came 3rd. Then there was the season Ipswich was up there,. Although the top 2 has been dominated by 2 teams apart from 1 year the other positions haven't.

Liverpool can easily have a resurgence.

Wow we've just given Arsenal the double.(I'm off to the bookies)

The fact is, is that we should of finished portsmouth off last sunday.

Forget decent service, Owen's overall play right now is just poor.

People say if Owen had the service the Van Horseface gets at Manure then he'd be a better player. NONSENSE! Owen is only good for one thing and that is the simple(but effective) through ball for the one on one...

He's missed like 9 penalties in total, 7 of these have all been like the one yesterday totally lacklustre an easy save for the keeper.

Like said that duty should be handed over to Murphy(when playing) or Gerrard.

I really wouldn't care to see Owen go, with Cisse coming in it would compensate to have someone like Kezman as a replacement atleast then we could have a change in play.

Todays random Liverpool statistic from the paper....

We have won only 12 games out of our last 50

:shock:

I was listening to the radio all day today and everytime the news came on I was expecting "Houllier sacked by Liverpool" and did I hear it, did I bollocks. It seems like mediocrity is now the way of the club

Sabac Red said:
I really wouldn't care to see Owen go, with Cisse coming in it would compensate to have someone like Kezman as a replacement atleast then we could have a change in play.

I agree to some extent.
We need more players like Baros in the team. players who are skilful with some pace and also able to hold the ball well.
Cisse is a good goal-scorer with power and pace.
Kezman sounds a good player, he's got skill and an eye for goal.

But I think Alan Hansen described it the best today in the BBC website when he mentioned the main reason why GH does not favour all-out attack is because of our slow defence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3513217.stm

(very interesting article)

methic said:
I think this has been the case for a little while now, how long does Houllier get to turn it round? Does anyone here think he will be able to take Liverpool to the title at any point in the next few years? If not, why is he still employed by the club?

ClassicD said:
methic said:
I think this has been the case for a little while now, how long does Houllier get to turn it round? Does anyone here think he will be able to take Liverpool to the title at any point in the next few years? If not, why is he still employed by the club?

I don't think he will. They had a run alittle while ago of a few games but there's just too much inconsistency to mount a serious challenge on the title.

It ain`t much fun being a United supporter at the moment, especially with bad results, like Leeds, Wolves etc. But things like this cheer me up:

Misfit wrote:
i will though,3-0 to us...its fuckin pompey after all...

LMAO - another classic Misfit prediction . . . and the Scousers OUT of the cup.

Beleaguered Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier received another blow on Monday night as striker Florent Sinama-Pongolle was injured in a reserves match against Blackburn.

The French starlet looks set to miss Thuirsday's UEFA Cup tie with Levski Sofia after being helped off the pitch at Chester's Deva stadium following a challenge from Rovers defender Michael Taylor.

Sinama-Pongolle was taken to hospital and it was feared that he had sustained a broken ankle. However, an examination revealed only bruising, although the player will undergo a scan in the morning to establish the extent of the injury.

so thats baros back,now sinama pongolle's out.why the fuck doesnt shit like that happen to heskey??

ninjabreakz said:
You should stick by yuor players, not give them constant stick.
How on earth can you defend Heskey. He is shit!

Liverpool are shagged. Gerrard is the only player giving 100% at the moment, hence the fact Liverpool out of the League & FA cup, going out of the UEFA and won't qualify for the Champions League.

Sorry the Pool era is well and truely over - leave it to the mighty Gooners!!!

If we lose in Europe at home on Thurs the Houllier era should be over. There can only be so many excuses the man can come out with before his time is up

Gerard Houllier insists he will still be Anfield manager next season - and will not walk away from the struggling Anfield outfit.

The visit could easily be construed as the desire to calmly consider the future, but he was back at his desk and taking training today.

The defiant Liverpool chief insisted: 'I will not walk away. I am strong and still have goals. I expect to be manager next season because we will reach our targets. I think we will achieve our objective of Champions League football and the board know what we have turned around and that we are on the right track.

'These are the two reasons why I still believe I will be here next season.'

The fact Liverpool's board have already earmarked £14million for the summer transfer of Djibril Cisse - a deal which is virtually completed - is another indication that they aim to ignore the views of some Anfield fans and former players and stick with the Frenchman.

Houllier told BBC Sport: 'We are disappointed at what happened at Portsmouth but we are not down and weeping. We have a game coming up in the UEFA Cup against Levski Sofia on Thursday and that is another competition we want to win.

'It is good to play again so quickly after a disappointment, and the competition is one that has been good to us. We remember how we won it in 2001.'

Houllier added: 'I will not be walking away. One thing has to be said though, and that is that this is not about Gerard Houllier, it is about Liverpool and we are working for the club's success. This comes above everything.

'I think the team will get better every year from now on. You need broad shoulders when you get this sort of criticism, but I am still strong because you have to be. I try to take it all with humour.'

He added: 'My big disappointment has been the injuries to important players. These are not excuses - they are facts. We lost Michael Owen and Dietmar Hamann for three months and Jamie Carragher and Milan Baros for five months.

'We have also missed Harry Kewell. We have not had all our assets and weapons to use and this has hurt us.

'I would not have played Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama-Pongolle as much in normal circumstances, but they have proved their worth and they will have a year's more experience next season.'

Houllier said: 'Fourth place in the Premiership is a priority now, as well as progress in the UEFA Cup. It was such a disappointment to lose to Portsmouth because we should have won the tie at Anfield and had chances at Fratton Park.

'But the players have been very good in training and hopefully one day a team will pay for our disappointments. The true test of talent is how you bounce back and I think our players have shown they are ready to bounce back.'

Houllier's cause has not been helped by the fact that Liverpool have almost certainly lost Sinama-Pongolle for the next three games with an ankle injury sustained in a reserve match against Blackburn.

Liverpool have some hope that the little striker will be fit to fly out to Bulgaria on Monday for next week's second leg, but a decision will not be taken until the morning of departure.

Emile Heskey is also doubtful for Thursday's Anfield clash with a back injury while Harry Kewell may miss out with an ankle problem.

Meanwhile assistant manager Phil Thompson has demanded the players 'stop feeling sorry for themselves'.

He said: 'We are all down and obviously everyone is upset at going out of the cup. The lads have had a day off and time to reflect, and now they must respond.

'We have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and saying this always seems to happen to us. We must find out the reasons why and put them right, starting on Thursday against Sofia.

'It is difficult to say whether it is confidence up front or lack of concentration at the back. There are things we need to work on.

'We have to ignore what is being written and concentrate only on ourselves. The most important people to get it right for are the fans and this club.'

I'm just hopin not to reach 4th place this year. GH has to go. I can't stand watching 'Pool anymore.

Ideal situation come pre-season 2004-2005

1) Gerard Houllier Sacked, Martin O'Neill brought in...
2) Heskey, Diao and Diouf out along with some of the random players we have
3) Owen signs a one year extension. Sees the light with O'Neill, then signs for life ;)
6) We sign Cisse on loan, check his skillz.If he's class, we go for the kill ;)
5) Fowler is brought back ;) :D :D

LIVERPOOL fans have hit out at yobs who daubed sick anti-Gerard Houllier graffiti on the walls of the club’s training ground.

One taunt read: ‘Hope you die of Aids Houllier’.

Fans’ chief Les Lawson blasted: “It looks like the work of a mindless minority and whoever did it deserves to be locked up.

“Whatever is happening on the pitch is no excuse for behaviour like this.”

Lawson, secretary of the Liverpool FC International Supporters Club, added: “We might not be winning but Gerard Houllier is still a nice man and does not deserve abuse like this.

“Despite the current bad run he has still brought six trophies to Anfield and he will be remembered for that. Our supporters have never chanted for a change of manager like at some other clubs.”

The heat has increased on Kop boss Houllier after Sunday’s FA Cup defeat at Portsmouth — but the graffiti attack at the Melwood training ground outraged Lawson.

He said: “Some people now want to see a change at the top but this is not the way to go about it.

“This is a disgusting display of vandalism and we would like to think Liverpool supporters are above this.”

Its good to see that the fans arent going over the top :roll:

CWright said:
LIVERPOOL fans have hit out at yobs who daubed sick anti-Gerard Houllier graffiti on the walls of the club’s training ground.

One taunt read: ‘Hope you die of Aids Houllier’.

Fans’ chief Les Lawson blasted: “It looks like the work of a mindless minority and whoever did it deserves to be locked up.

“Whatever is happening on the pitch is no excuse for behaviour like this.”

Lawson, secretary of the Liverpool FC International Supporters Club, added: “We might not be winning but Gerard Houllier is still a nice man and does not deserve abuse like this.

“Despite the current bad run he has still brought six trophies to Anfield and he will be remembered for that. Our supporters have never chanted for a change of manager like at some other clubs.”

The heat has increased on Kop boss Houllier after Sunday’s FA Cup defeat at Portsmouth — but the graffiti attack at the Melwood training ground outraged Lawson.

He said: “Some people now want to see a change at the top but this is not the way to go about it.

“This is a disgusting display of vandalism and we would like to think Liverpool supporters are above this.”

Its good to see that the fans arent going over the top :roll:

Scousers ey, salt of the earth........

Back
Top Bottom