Liverpool Thread

So, the transfer window is closed. Who have L`pool signed? (Genuine question, I`m not being sarcastic)

ninjabreakz said:
So, the transfer window is closed. Who have L`pool signed? (Genuine question, I`m not being sarcastic)

Nobody because our team is good enough as it is ;)

CWright said:
ninjabreakz said:

So whats with these transfer "deals" that Misfit posts everyday? Is it all speculation (like I thought)?

ninjabreakz said:
CWright said:
ninjabreakz said:

So whats with these transfer "deals" that Misfit posts everyday? Is it all speculation (like I thought)?

They're mostly transfers that *could* be carried out in the summer. I think Kezman will be signed and he's a good player. Getting VDV would make me giddy if I was 'Pool fan. If he can settle in, there's no end to the destruction he could cause. Personally, I think Barca will sign him though.

All these transfers wont make a difference for now, you currently have the players to win something yet achieve nothing. Liverpool is a team with potential but needs the spark.

pool need desperate help scoring to put you lot to a CL spot... i would like to see that (honestly)

-azn

Milanista said:
Get rid of houlier so you have A) Success, B) Less transfer rumors C) Less french players.

Couldn`t agree with you more. The Premiership is turning into the French League!

ninjabreakz said:
Milanista said:
Get rid of houlier so you have A) Success, B) Less transfer rumors C) Less french players.

Couldn`t agree with you more. The Premiership is turning into the French League!

Im not arsed, let him keep signing dodgy french players, if you would've asked the scousers a few years ago they would've never thought they'd be where they are now, and thats all down to GH :D

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
ninjabreakz said:
Milanista said:

Im not arsed, let him keep signing dodgy french players, if you would've asked the scousers a few years ago they would've never thought they'd be where they are now, and thats all down to GH :D

It's true, the season they won all those trophies it looked like things would get better, the they came second, but since then it's been all down hill. They are the Barcelona of England, both WERE great but are now average.

Well, I finally saw the Liverpool v. Everton game and I must say that the little froggies are great... Cheyrou and LeTallec looked as good as attacking midfielders as Liverpool needs, the only player that I really saw lacking was Owen.

Hopefully, his poor form relates to him still recovering from his injury... but more and more I suspect that Liverpool would benefit from changing strikers. I wonder if Owen's success as a goalscorer relates more to his being the offensive focus of the team, and less to his own ability.

I'd rather see Owen dropped for Baros than LeTallec. Can't believe I'm thinking this....

Nickybaker said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
ninjabreakz said:
Milanista said:

It's true, the season they won all those trophies it looked like things would get better, the they came second, but since then it's been all down hill. They are the Barcelona of England, both WERE great but are now average.

They both have lots of potential.

Liverpool starlets Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama-Pongolle discovered they were related when their paths first crossed during a football tournament back in 1993.

The 9-year-old Le Tallec had been selected to play for the Le Havre youth team and helped them reach the final where they met local side Saint-Pierre.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle was leading the attack for the opposition and had previously impressed Le Tallec's father, who himself was a former professional footballer. He asked his son to find out his name.

Le Tallec recalled: "I spoke to him before the match and he told me he was called Sinama. I've got an aunt in France who comes from La Reunion (where the tournament was held) who's also called Sinama, so I asked Florent if he knew her. To my shock, he said she was his aunt too.

"This amazing player who had scored a bundle of goals in the tournament was also my cousin!"

well,they are related...

Jon Otsemobor won't be prevented from playing for Bolton against Liverpool when the two sides meet in the Premiership on Saturday.

The 20-year-old has left on loan until the summer to gain valuable first team experience which was a surprise as it does leave the Reds a little short on the right side of defence if we experience any more injury problems.

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce was chuffed to bits to get the player who is expected to be given a run out at some point this weekend.

He said: "He is an excellent capture for us. Jon is a mobile player who loves to push forward.

"He has tremendous pace and an excellent passing game. We need to strengthen our defence and and Jon will add competition for places in this vital area."

cant believe GH let him go to bolton albeit on loan.he is useful cover to finan...

Merseyside rivals Liverpool and Everton have both been linked with a possible move for Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole in the summer.

The former West Ham ace is unhappy at the role he has with the Londonders and is reportedly ready to listen to offers at the end of the season.

Everton are this week said to have failed in a last minute attempt to take the player on loan to Goodison for the remainder of the season even though Chelsea tried to loan the player out when they signed him, much to the player's annoyance.

He may not be sold in the summer but a loan opportunity may be too good for him to turn down if he continues to play a minor role at the Bridge.

Henrik Larsson's agent Rob Jansen has repeated that a move by the player to the Premiership in the summer looks extremely unlikely.

The Swedish striker has been linked every now and then with the Reds ever since announcing that he would be leaving Parkhead at the end of the season but that option doesn't look to be on the agenda.

Jansen said: "I met with Henrik at the weekend and he is clearer in his plans. The only thing I can say is it is 100 per cent certain Henrik will continue his career in football and he will be leaving Celtic in the summer.

"He will probably move to a club in southern Europe, although I have to stress I have not yet spoken to anyone about a deal."

Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson has made attempts to sign him but he recently admitted that a deal with a club he knew very well already looked to be in place.

When Liverpool were looking at a possible short-term replacement for Emile Heskey (when Middlesbrough tried to sign him), it was suggested that Gerard Houllier had made an informal enquiry with the Hoops about a possible deal for the hitman.

LIVERPOOL ace Stephane Henchoz has left Merseyside gobsmacked by declaring: “We’re better than Manchester United.”

The deluded Kop defender is adamant that, man for man, Gerard Houllier’s team actually compare favourably with champions United.

And he ignores the fact that the Reds trail United by a staggering 19 points to make his foolish claims.

Displaying the famed Scouse humour, Henchoz said: “If you take each player individually and compare them with Manchester United’s then, I’m sorry, I do not think we are any worse than them.

“If you were to take four players from the bench, I would still have the same impression.

“You should realise that I am talking about guys at the top of their form, because I have seen our players at that level.

“In fact, when each player is on top form I would even go so far to say we are superior to Manchester United.”

Yet Swiss international Henchoz presents an argument with more holes than one of his country’s cheeses.

For since checking in at Anfield five years ago, Henchoz has finished above United only once — in 2002.

In fact, that was the only occasion Liverpool have come higher than their bitter rivals since the Premiership started in 1993.

During that time, United have won the League eight times and have never finished below third position.

Liverpool trailed in fifth last season and are in the same position this term.

They have won just nine of their 23 league games and Houllier is clinging to his job by his fingertips.

So Henchoz, 29, is kidding only himself and the official Liverpool magazine when he claims United should be quaking in their boots.

I hope the drugs testers have turned up on his doorstep by now

While I agree that this does sound absurd, I think that what Henchoz has said isn't that far out.

Now, as much as I hate to admit it, Man Utd are a far superior team at the moment, but that is the key word TEAM. Utd play as a team and that is their real strength, whereas at the moment Liverpool are playing as a collection of individuals.

If you do go through the Liverpool starting XI, I think that they are almost a match player for player with Utd. Dudek was considered to be the best keeper in the Premiership (and one of the best in the world) prior to the 2002 World Cup, and Kirkland is (injury permitting) surely the next England keeper. Finnan and Riise are both quality full backs, Henchoz and Hyypia were comfortably the best defensive partnership in the league until injury (and Houllier's selection maddness) split them up. In midfield, Gerrard and Hamann are a superb combination, Kewell is world class (although dodgy current form) and Diouf is a 2 time African player of the year. Owen is undoubtedly world class, and Emile Heskey is... well... okay, but he's at least a match for Forlan who until recently was Utd's 2nd choice striker.

So there you go, great on paper, awful on the pitch!

Henchoz may have gone well over the top, but I think that the point that he was trying to make was a valid one. Utd are currently twice the team that Liverpool are (and unless something changes, that ain't going to be any different next season), but player for player, it's an awful lot closer than that.

just reading through liverpool website and had a laugh reading this article.

Reds fans outraged by magazine's European Top 50 list

Liverpool supporters have reacted with disbelief to a poll published in FourFourTwo magazine detailing the Top 50 European football moments ever.

The latest issue of the magazine - which is published by the same company who publish the Manchester United matchday programme - have included a '50 Greatest European Moments' supplement this month and the contents have caused outrage with many Reds supporters.

Sporting a massive picture of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on the front cover, the magazine goes on to count down the top 50 finest footballing moments between clubs from across the continent.

While any list of this sort will always cause disagreements, Liverpool supporters have noted that the list fails to even mention our European Cup final triumphs in 1978 and 1981. According to FourFourTwo, those two feats were obviously not as memorable as the night Barry Town goalkeeper Lee Kendall took to the pitch in a UEFA Cup preliminary round first leg tie against Boavista without a shirt number on his back. Or when Celtic took a few fans to Seville for the 2003 UEFA Cup final.

There's no mention either of the game that many people believe was the greatest European final ever - our 5-4 win over Alaves in 2001. If Gary McAllister's dramatic free-kick - headed into the Alaves net by one of their own defenders - to seal the game for Liverpool on the Golden Goal rule was not one of the '50 Greatest European Moments' then you're either a Manchester United supporter or the editor of this ridiculous supplement.

Liverpool do make it into the list on a couple of occasions although there's no place for David Fairclough's dramatic 'Super Sub' appearance against St Etienne.

Our European Cup final triumph in 1977 against Borussia Monchengladbach limps into the list at No.37 - three places behind Tottenham's European Cup Winners' Cup win of 1963 - while our historic win in Rome against Roma is only worthy of No.23 in the list. Bruce Grobbelaar's 'wobbly legs' penalty routine mustn't have made too much of an impression on the Manchester United programme publishers who, at No.25, decided to include the reception the Old Trafford fans handed out to Ronaldo at Old Trafford.

Obviously the fact that the Kop have applauded opposition players off the pitch for decades must have been missed. That Liverpool fans who chanted 'Alaves, Alaves' for 10 minutes when the losing team went up to collect their medals earned the Merseyside supporters a Fair Play award from UEFA was obviously not as deserving as a few claps for Ronaldo at Old Trafford.

And in case you were wondering where Manchester United's two European Cup final triumphs sit in the Top 50? No.9 (1999) and No.1 (1968), obviously.

"How on earth does a round of applause for a fat Brazilian become a great footballing moment?" commented one Liverpool supporter today. "No mention of our 5-10 minutes of chanting 'Alaves' as they collected their losers' medals, I suppose. Mind you, if a nine-goal final isn't worthy in itself, then a gesture which won the UEFA Fair Play award isn't going to be, is it?"

Another Liverpool fan on the club's official message boards said: "How on earth could any of our four poor European Cup triumphs match up to United's tremendous and well-deserved 1999 Champions League win? We all know how difficult that competition is compared to the old style - and easy to win - European cup."
[/quote]

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard says he will quit Anfield if success doesn't return to the club. Although the player wants to win things at Anfield, he has heaped more pressure on Gerard Houllier by stating that Michael Owen isn't the only player that wants to play in the Champions League and that he will leave if trophies don't start returning.

I disagree with Henchoz. L`pool are better player-for-player? He is having a laugh.
I can think of 3 players I`d use at the United camp - Dudek, Gerrard and Owen.
The rest are mediocre, in my opinion, not because they are L`pool boys, its just that everytime I`ve seen them play, they haven`t looked anything special.
I can see Gerrard staying in the Premiership, maybe a Chelsea move? I don`t think Arsenal or United would go there. Arsenal couldn`t afford him, United fans won`t accept a scouser.
Owen will go abroad - Real Madrid or Milan. That will be the headlines in the summer, boys.

ninjabreakz said:
I can see Gerrard staying in the Premiership, maybe a Chelsea move? I don`t think Arsenal or United would go there. Arsenal couldn`t afford him, United fans won`t accept a scouser.

Depends how long is left on his contract? How long does he have left

Nickybaker said:
ninjabreakz said:

Depends how long is left on his contract? How long does he have left
oh no please no, stevie G leaving anfield for the bridge would be devastating... why would chelski even NEED him?

-azn

ps DO THE RIGHT THING STEVIE! STAY A RED!

bolton's next.a win is highly unlikely as bolton are a very decent side this time round.a defeat on the other other hand is totally unthinkable for us.a 1-1 draw is on the cards for me.....

Can I stick my neck out and say that we will hammer Bolton tomorrow :twisted:

I`ve been reading the papers today (todays rumours, tomorrows fish and chip paper) and it looks like Stevie G wants better from the manager and the whole team otherwise him and Owen are outta there . . . make the most of it boys, you won`t hold onto them much longer if things don`t get better. It`s tough times at the L`pool camp, thats for sure . . .

Back
Top Bottom