Liverpool Thread

Liverpool look set to miss out on the opportunity of signing Marseille's highly-rated defender Daniel van Buyten as the player has arrived in Manchester for talks with Manchester City regarding a possible transfer.

Manager Kevin Keegan was unable to agree a transfer fee for the player but has persuaded the French outfit to let the player join City on loan with a view to a move in the summer. Marseille were keen on that option as they wanted to recruit David Sommeil who will now go in the other direction.

The transfer enables want-away van Buyten to test the water in the Premiership with City before finalising his future in the summer. It also enables other clubs to see how he handles the English game.

Keegan is confident a deal will go ahead in time for the player to be granted international clearance.

He said: "We have been looking at him for two years, he is a big strong lad and I think the Premiership may well suit him.

"Marseille paid nearly £8million for him, which is a lot of money, but obviously the market has changed since then.

"You never know if you are going to get a little hiccup in the deal, I don't want to say too much but at this stage it's looking very positive."

PSV striker Mateja Kezman has stated that he will leave Holland in the summer and with Manchester United having already recruited Louis Saha and Arsenal having recruited Jose Antonio Reyes, Liverpool have immediately been tipped as favourites to land him.

Kezman was the top scorer in the Dutch League last season. He boasts electric pace and an eye for goal that would certainly boost the Liverpool attack with Emile Heskey tipped to move on to pastures new. The 24-year-old Serbia and Montenegro international is lethal with both feet and also chips in with his fair share of assists.

Liverpool and Manchester United both made formal enquiries regarding the player's availability towards the end of last year and were told that the player may be available in 2004. At the time PSV technical director Frank Arnesen said: "Not only Manchester United and Liverpool but also four to five other clubs are interested.

"If the money is good enough and if Kezman is happy with the club interested, it is very possible that he could leave.

"We do not want to stand in his way, he has done so much for PSV over the past four years, and he has said in the past a few times that he would like to climb up the ladder a bit."

The situation has now been made perfectly clear with Kezman today announcing that he intends to leave the Dutch outfit at the end of this season.

The player said: "PSV can no longer pay me. The salary that I want to get is too high. That salary differs a lot from what I get now. It is best for everyone if I leave PSV this summer."

Kezman's agent Chiel Dekker is currently talking to European clubs regarding a possible transfer. Both Barcelona and Liverpool have already spoken to Dekker who heads the SFX office in Holland.

According to reports Liverpool are also said to have recently spoken to Hakan Azman (who represents PSV wonderkid Rafael van der Vaart) and everything ties in to suggest that the Reds could be planning a double raid in the summer. Such a coup - if pulled off - could save Gerard Houllier's Anfield career.

Although most of the transfer speculation can usually be dismissed for a number of reasons, we would advise you to pay close attention to any speculation linking Liverpool with any PSV or Barcelona players because of the names that are starting to enter the hat and the agents who represent them.

Maybe this summer we will have something to be happy about after all

HARRY KEWELL goes into today’s Merseyside shootout admitting he has not delivered the goods for nearly FOUR months.

Liverpool’s Aussie star celebrated the derby showdown in August with a goal and sparkling performance in the 3-0 Goodison triumph.

But he has rarely reproduced that form since as a combination of disappointing displays and an ankle injury threatened to wreck his season.

He showed glimpses of a return in the FA Cup win over Newcastle — and now he is determined to roar back to his best against Everton at Anfield today.

Kewell admitted: “I pride myself on going out and doing a good job for the team — and I know I’ve not been doing that. Your intention is to play your best from beginning to end. But unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.

"There are times when you have to dig in, get your head down and go back to basics. You have to pull yourself together and get yourself back on track.

"That's what I have got to start doing now. You could say the injury I had didn't help and I felt my form before that was okay.

"But I am not one to use injuries as an excuse. You expect to have injuries at some point.

"The bottom line is I can do a lot better than I have been doing.

"The Liverpool fans have certainly got a lot more to see from me. Hopefully I can get better with each game I play."

Kewell could find himself up front alongside Michael Owen this afternoon as Emile Heskey, Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Milan Baros are out.

And boss Gerard Houllier has revealed that while the fans see the derby as the biggest game of the season, they are exactly the opposite to him. He said: "I do not enjoy them because normally they are not good games.

"I understand why they are so big, because the town is split in half, but too much significance is attached.

"It is something special, especially for the local lads, but as a manager you have to have some perspective.

Back on form today Harry and it looks like you will be starting up front with Owen

Hopefully Harry can produce this kind of form for Australia and get us to the world cup.

Newspaper reports today claim that Liverpool striker Michael Owen has been making fresh visits to top surgeon Hans Muller-Wolfhart to try and overcome his nerve, hamstring and back problems.

Because the player's career has been plagued with injury problems, it is claimed that the Reds will be tempted to cash in on the striker if a big offer comes in.

Although the Reds might sell if a silly offer was received, they are still pressing ahead to try and iron out a new deal with the England international so don't hit the panic button just yet.

djibsnews.jpg

Liverpool target Djibril Cisse is continuing his sensational form by bagging more goals ahead of his proposed summer move to Anfield.

The Frenchman netted twice during the first half of Auxerre's home match against Bordeaux today.

Cisse scored after just 7 minutes and added his second, and their fourth, a minute before half-time. Auxerre won the game 5-0

Misfit said:
According to reports Liverpool are also said to have recently spoken to Hakan Azman (who represents PSV wonderkid Rafael van der Vaart)

VDV plays for Ajax.

Can't believe Van Buyten signed for City. Really shocking. He's an excellent defender and could really have doen better. Still, it's a loan swap, so maybe he's trying to prove himself to the big boys by joining a bigger stage. Credit to Keegan though. Great puchase.

An enthralling derby played at a frenetic pace with both sides having great chances and both goalkeepers making great saves has somehow ended goalless at Anfield this afternoon.

Both managers will doubtless be content with a point apiece following a tremendous match which could have gone either way, but Gerard Houllier is likely to be slightly more disappointed than his Everton counterpart after watching his side dominate the derby for lengthy spells.

As a pure spectacle this was a brilliant encounter with both teams hell bent on the victory which would have secured their fans local bragging rights for the rest of the season.

The first half was an enthralling affair with both sides having chances to break the Anfield deadlock.

Liverpool began the brighter of the two teams with Owen, Le Tallec and Kewell causing the Everton defence no end of problems with their attacking bursts both down the flanks and through the middle.

It was German midfielder Dietmar Hamann who enjoyed the first shot in anger with a vicious dipping drive from outside the area which forced Everton goalkeeper Nigel Martyn to fly to his left to keep out.

Once Everton had recovered from Liverpool's early onslaught they began to pose problems of their own for the Reds' defence. Tomasz Radzinski should have done better when Stephane Henchoz allowed him a run on goal but the Canadian striker let the opportunity pass without troubling Jerzy Dudek.

The best chance for the Blues in the first half came after 19 minutes when Thomas Gravesen waltzed through several weak challenges on the edge of the Liverpool area before striding forward and firing a low shot straight at Dudek.

Steven Gerrard was again at the centre of everything Liverpool did and the Reds' skipper carved out two great chances for himself before the half time whistle.

He had already sent one low shot flying inches wide in the opening stages of the match before a cleverly worked move sent him clean through on the Everton goal midway through the half. With only Martyn to beat Gerrard let fly with a venomous drive which the Everton 'keeper did brilliantly to turn over for a corner.

Gerrard came even closer before the half came to an end when a curling shot from inside the area was turned onto the base of the post by the out-stretched fingertips of the Everton number one.

Everton finished the half the stronger of the two teams and appeared to have a case for Liverpool playing the remainder of the match with only ten men after Sami Hyypia appeared to check Radzinski's run on goal. Thankfully, referee Steve Bennett wasn't impressed with their appeals.

Duncan Ferguson headed wide from Wayne Rooney's cross in the closing minutes of the half before, in stoppage time, Alan Stubbs' header from a right wing corner was expertly turned over the bar by Dudek.

Everton slipped straight back into gear at the start of the second period when Wayne Rooney escaped the challenges of several Liverpool defenders before dragging his shot wide of Dudek's far post.

Liverpool responded immediately and again it was their inspirational skipper at the heart of the action when Gerrard ran at the Blues' defence and drove a shot on the turn narrowly wide.

The Reds' French connection were next to combine to good effect after 54 minutes when Anthony Le Tallec picked out Bruno Cheyrou with a great cross from the right, but the in-form midfielder could only direct his glancing header wide of the target.

Everton goalkeeper Nigel Martyn was called into action after 67 minutes to keep out a bullet header from Kewell after a wonderful cross from Gerrard.

Martyn was finally beaten less than a minute later but, unbelievably, one of his defenders was in the right place at the right time to clear Le Tallec's goalbound header off the line.

Cheyrou drove over, Kewell and Owen drove wide and Carragher brought an astonishing save from the Everton 'keeper in the closing stages as the Reds searched for the winner, but in the end time ran out and both sets of fans left the stadium wondering what might have been.

The match could have provided a feast of goals for both teams but in the end finished scoreless. There won't be a better nil-nil draw in the Premiership this season.

STR said:
Misfit said:
According to reports Liverpool are also said to have recently spoken to Hakan Azman (who represents PSV wonderkid Rafael van der Vaart)

VDV plays for Ajax.

Can't believe Van Buyten signed for City. Really shocking. He's an excellent defender and could really have doen better. Still, it's a loan swap, so maybe he's trying to prove himself to the big boys by joining a bigger stage. Credit to Keegan though. Great puchase.

yeah vdv plays for ajax,typo there.but the point is hakan azman represents kezman and vdv.also amazed why van buyten signed for city when we should have got him.....

Caught the highlights on The Premiership last night and how that match finished 0-0 I will never know. Both keepers made some fantastic saves and Stevie G was on fire!! Looks like Owen still needs a few games to find that scoring touch tho which is a worry

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier is considering making a move for Swiss midfielder Hakan Yakin claim reports today

It's not the first time that the manager has been linked with the player and he'll tell you openly he is a fan but he's had numerous opportunities to sign the player and so far nothing has materialised.

The player has indicated that he'll consider a move away from FC Basle in the summer.

Vfb Stuttgart have also been linked with a possible £1million bid.

Misfit said:
Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier is considering making a move for Swiss midfielder Hakan Yakin claim reports today

It's not the first time that the manager has been linked with the player and he'll tell you openly he is a fan but he's had numerous opportunities to sign the player and so far nothing has materialised.

The player has indicated that he'll consider a move away from FC Basle in the summer.

that would be a good move for you lot

-azn

footieBalla said:
Misfit said:

-azn

not anymore,he just signed for stuttgart.....

Misfit said:
footieBalla said:
Misfit said:

-azn

not anymore,he just signed for stuttgart.....
ooooh, thats NOT a good thing... :(

-azn

Norwegian defender John Arne Riise has been assured he still has a future at Liverpool.

The 23-year-old has lost his place in Gerard Houllier's side following the return to fitness of full-backs Steve Finnan and Jamie Carragher.

Riise has started just one of the last six matches, and for much of the season has also been contesting the left-back slot with Djimi Traore.

Now Carragher is clearly first choice and Riise's future has been a matter of speculation in Norway, where he is a regular in the national team.

But manager Houllier insists Riise is still wanted at Anfield. He said: 'He started the season in good form but has had some dips. But he is a player who belongs to the future of Liverpool - he is definitely in my plans.

'At the moment he probably feels frustration because he is not playing, but there are areas in his game where he can improve. But at some stage he will be back in the team.

'He is still a young player with a big future here.'

Riise joined Liverpool for £3.7million from Monaco almost three years ago and has played 135 games for the club, but this season has been his most inconsistent as question marks over his defensive play have surfaced.

And he may have to get used to a place on the bench with Carragher's return to the side being hailed by Houllier as crucial to Liverpool's bid to salvage their season.

Another player likely to be back in the first-team squad soon is Milan Baros, who is expected to make his comeback in the reserves tonight.

Baros, who has not played since September following a broken ankle, had his initial opportunity of a match ruined by the weather last week when the second-team game at Bolton was called off.

But Baros, and maybe even French youngster Florent Sinama-Pongolle, out with a groin injury, are both set to face Newcastle's second string tonight at Chester's Deva Stadium.

Houllier said: 'Milan will start the match, and I will be there to see him.'

Goalkeeper Chris Kirkland is still a couple of weeks away from training after breaking a finger, but Vladimir Smicer (Achilles) will return to full training this week. Emile Heskey (hamstring) will be out for another fortnight.

Gerard Houllier has told striker Neil Mellor that he can return to Anfield if he wants to.

Mellor has had a terrible loan spell at West Ham and has been consigned to their reserves after the Hammers replaced their manager and brought in other strikers since he has joined.

"I've told Neil if he wants to come back he can," said Houllier. "I would like him here because it's better for him to play for Liverpool than West Ham's reserves.

"If he's told the West Ham manager he wants to come back, it's up to them now.

"There's no deadline with regards the Premiership because the loan spell can end after the transfer window has closed. But in terms of the UEFA Cup, Neil would have to come back to us today before 5pm."

West Ham fans have been unimpressed with what they have seen of Mellor's performances when he has played, although in fairness to him he hasn't really had much time to settle.

Liverpool midfielder Salif Diao has admitted that he may have to leave the club to rescue his career after failing to make an impact at the club.

Currently on international duty with Senegal, Diao says he wants to play for the Reds but confesses that he may have to leave.

"It's a very, very difficult situation and I can't say anything about it," said the player, who was originally quoted speaking in French.

"I can't complain. I just have to shut up and make an impression.

"This season, Gerard Houllier has changed his tactics to play only one defensive midfielder which I admit isn't great for me.

"If I was at my best, I would think about leaving the club but not just now. I will try to do well at the African Nations Cup before trying to get a place in the side at Liverpool.

"If before the end of the season I see there is no change, then I will think about something else."

PSV striker Mateja Kezman says he is frustrated that nobody has made any serious attempts to sign him during the transfer window.

Manchester United and Arsenal signed alternatives while Gerard Houllier said he was happy with the squad he already has. Barcelona's interest also failed to materialise leaving the player on the transfer shelf.

Last week the player announced that he would definitely leave PSV in the summer with Liverpool tipped as favourites to land him, providing other players are axed first.

Kezman said: "Many clubs have informed PSV of their interest in me, it never came to a contract though. It is time to get a new challenge. Otherwise it will get harder and harder to stay motivated here."

He added: "Harry van Raaij (PSV president) has even said that no club has asked PSV about me. That is untrue."

hmm... with emile out of anfield, that would mean that pongolle is gonna see a lot more playing time right? with le tallec coming close at the merseyside derby ... where would kezman fit in??

-azn

le tallec is not a striker,with heskey pissin off,we'll have cisse,owen,baros,FSP and kezman.....hopefully.actually,i can see owen leavin for madrid or barca.....

Just read a cracking interview with an ex liverpool player Micheal Robinson. Apparently he's a pundit for La Liga and is one of Spain / Madrids best loved tv presenter.

I've picked out these bits cos he speaks on lfc:

Small Talk is scared to ask, given your form, but: Hansen or Lawrensen? As footballers, that is.
Mark used to fly into slide tackles, everyone would applaud and he'd be a hero. But Hansen would have seen it long before. Lawrensen was never on his feet; Hansen never needed to be on his bum. Lawrensen was brilliant but Hansen was a genius.

Rush or Raúl?
Rush. One of the greatest. He made me look good. I'd jump up, head it anywhere and Rushie would make it the perfect flick-on. [Robinson springs to his feet and demonstrates]. Rush never knew which bloody knife or fork to use but on the pitch he was a genius. Raúl is the most overrated player I've ever come across in my life. He's más talante que talento [Small Talk's helpful translation: more personality than ability]. He is a predator, an animal, a dark mysterious man who'll score two when Madrid are losing against Kiev, two degrees below freezing. He's got character and used to carry Madrid. But his left foot's only a seven out of 10, his right's a four, he can't head it and he's slow. He has no overriding ability whatsoever. I admire him, but I would never cross the road on a rainy night and buy tickets to see him.

Rush over Raúl, then. But what about Owen?
Michael Owen is one of the reasons Liverpool are crap, because the aim is just to get him one on one. Owen has only got one medium - come short and go long. He's just a good football player, that's all. Mind you, I'd have loved to have been as good as him! Trouble is, Houllier has built a whole team around him and every other team in England knows about it. Houllier is so stereotyped in his thoughts. It's not fair on Michael, it's not fair on the team and it's not fair on the victims like me who watch it. At Real Madrid, Owen would be a substitute.

Sounds knowledgeable then, Raul overrated, pfft :roll:.

And Kezman would set you back at least £15m, he went there for around £10m I think, there or thereabouts.

ClassicD said:
Sounds knowledgeable then, Raul overrated, pfft :roll:.

And Kezman would set you back at least £15m, he went there for around £10m I think, there or thereabouts.

Yeah god forbid anyone say what they think ey :roll:

Back
Top Bottom