Liverpool Thread

Sabac Red said:
The thing with Cheyrou is that he needs a little bit more time and a good runout in the team. He may not show the ability of Robert or Pires yet, but just give him some time.

Something that i've been impressed with him so far is his ability to get into the box and that has resulted in goals. He could be a key figure for us in clinching a CL place if he keeps doing that.

When we signed Cheyrou, he had scored 15 goals from midfield for Lille.
So I think his ability has been well known. He took his time to get used to the English league, plus his long list of injuries did not help.

He is not like Pires at all.
In fact I would say he's more like Michael Ballack.
Deadly coming late into the box. He has a great shot from 25 yards.
The kind of player that will score 10+ goals a season.
I hope he can help put us back into the CL.

I stumbled across a good interesting article while surfing the net today...

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=2084704

WEBSTER: Anfield inspires football passion in American kids

BY NICK WEBSTER
FOX Sports World
Jan. 26, 2004 12:33 p.m.

I've spent the best part of two decades coaching soccer in this country and the one thing that has never been in short supply is enthusiasm. Whether they be kids, men or women the players would always be excited to play. However, I've always felt that there is one vital ingredient missing from the game -- passion.
This weekend I invited my High School boy's team to my apartment to watch the FA Cup fourth round tie between Liverpool and Newcastle United. You should've seen their eyes widening as the surround sound immersed them, and my not-so-appreciative neighbors, in the noise and emotion of Anfield.

"Coach, what are the fans singing?", "Why does it mean so much?", "They're all crazy," were some of the comments about the fans as the match moved along.

When the contest entered injury time and Liverpool faithful in the Kop turned up the volume on 'You'll never walk alone' I could've sworn a couple of the kids looked misty-eyed as the crackling atmosphere seeped into them.

"Is this what you mean by passion?" one asked.

"The players looked as though they're be driven along by the crowd, feeding from their emotion," observed another.

This was nothing like going to the Lakers and having the announcer implore the audience to make some noise. This was real, spontaneous and passionate.

I explained that just as the crowd supports their team to the fullest extent, the players have an incredible desire to play as hard as possible, because deep within their souls is a love of the game that they've carried since they were kids. It's always been more than a game; it's a way of life.

The following day the boys played one of their local rivals on an onion patch of pitch with biased referees and a team intent on kicking them off the park.

Usually under these circumstances they'd fold quicker than a house of cards, but with the bench belting out a rousing edition of Liverpool's famous anthem, I noted a new resolve, a different emotion. They were up for the scrap and willing to sacrifice their bodies in a way they'd never previously done.

That's no big deal I can hear you muttering, kids get stuck into each other throughout the land every day. However, I coach at one of the most exclusive private high school's in the country. These kids drive to school in BMWs, Mercedes and Porches.

They've never had to really battle for anything and if they lose, it's no big deal, there's always a party at some fabulous mansion to go to.

I couldn't help but wonder if the FA Cup with its magic and history had lit a fire within these kids. As they came off the pitch after holding out for a gut-wrenching three-two win, I knew it had. They all spoke of a churning in their stomachs, the determination to leave it all out there and a new found feeling of love along with respect of their teammates.

Seniors were hugging spotty freshman, petty jealousies were put aside as 'we' had become a team united by a common cause. We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.

The Kop certainly felt that victorious unity after taking care of the Magpies a day earlier. Once again, Gerard Houllier proved that he's a man who knows when to get a result.

After losing to Spurs and tying Wolves, I was fairly convinced that a defeat would finally bring his reign to an end, but you just can't write him off. He knows that value of the Cup. The old competition might have taken a bashing recently, but it's a tournament that still means plenty to the fans and the players, especially those out of contention for Premiership glory.

Hey, if it can inspire a bunch of Southern California kids, you know that it still has a quality that the Premier League will never have; History, magic, emotion and priceless passion.

Until then, get the beers in.

yea, generally taste in footie in the states is quite broad, unlike in canada, where people like milanista, lionheart and i are hard to find ;) no honestly, i once went to a winter footie camp to keep meself fit, and this camp councellor asked us while we were warming up "hey you lot, do you know a footballer who plays in england? hes canadian!" ... "um nooo" was the general response" ... "uhh, ok. he plays for the football club: everton, anyone?" ... and some fool yelled "OOOH GREG JOHNSON?" and everyone laughed .... i shook my head and said "radzinski, tomasz radinzki" and everyone lauged AT me... the councellor smiled and nodded and said that i was right ... i couldnt get the smirk off my face for the entire week :D:D

-azn

Emile Heskey will miss Saturday's Merseyside derby with Everton after being ruled out for up to three weeks with a hamstring injury.

The England striker came off at half-time in the 2-1 FA Cup fourth round victory over Newcastle on Saturday and as well as being a doubt for Premiership matches against Bolton and Manchester City he could also miss the friendly international in Portugal on February 18.

'Emile suffered a slight pull to his hamstring and will miss the derby,' said Houllier.

'I think he will be out for two to three weeks at least. We'll just have to see how he responds to treatment.'

Heskey's injury is a blow to Houllier as his options up front are limited as Michael Owen is still finding his way back to fitness after a six weeks out while Milan Baros, out since August with a broken leg, only makes his comeback bid in the reserves this week.

Young Frenchman Florent Sinama-Pongolle has a groin injury, Vladimir Smicer is struggling with an Achilles problem while El-Hadji Diouf is on international duty at the African Nations Cup with Senegal.

YIPEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liverpool striker Milan Baros will return to action for the reserves this week as he steps up his recovery from a broken ankle.

The Czech striker is expected to be given around 45 minutes against Bolton Reserves which is a massive boost for the club who earlier today confirmed that Emile Heskey will be out of action for up to three weeks due to a hamstring injury.Speaking about the player making his return in the reserves fixture, Houllier said: "That is the target for him and I would like him to play 45 minutes."

YIPEE!!!!

Liverpool striker Milan Baros will return to action for the reserves this week as he steps up his recovery from a broken ankle.

The Czech striker is expected to be given around 45 minutes against Bolton Reserves which is a massive boost for the club who earlier today confirmed that Emile Heskey will be out of action for up to three weeks due to a hamstring injury.Speaking about the player making his return in the reserves fixture, Houllier said: "That is the target for him and I would like him to play 45 minutes."

You know times are hard at the L`pool camp when this is classed as "good news" ! ;)

With Heskey being out for 3 weeks the return of another striker is good news

CWright said:
With Heskey being out for 3 weeks the return of another striker is good news

Rumor has it he is heading to china for the women's exhibition games. :mrgreen:

Awww shit no Heskey for three weeks, three weeks, thats three weeks without the pleasure of seeing his silky skills on a saturday nite

Its gonna be hard for me so i dont know how yous are gonna manage.

:mrgreen:

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Awww shit no Heskey for three weeks, three weeks, thats three weeks without the pleasure of seeing his silky skills on a saturday nite

Its gonna be hard for me so i dont know how yous are gonna manage.

:mrgreen:
its a tragedy, he was the sole reason why you lot did soo well playing us ... :mrgreen:

-azn

I can`t help feeling sorry for Heskey though. He has so much promise - he`s quick, strong. But he can`t finish and his first touch lets him down. He should be at a club like Leicester (again) or Wolves.

ninjabreakz said:
I can`t help feeling sorry for Heskey though. He has so much promise - he`s quick, strong. But he can`t finish and his first touch lets him down. He should be at a club like Leicester (again) or Wolves.

I reckon he'd go down well at the Daggers (Dagenham & Redbridge). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Reports in France claim that Liverpool are making attempts to sign Marseille centre-back Daniel van Buyten.

A host of clubs including Manchester United, Newcastle United, Arsenal and Manchester City are all said to be sniffing around the Belgian ace.

van Buyten is a towering centre-back and is immensely powerful in the air. He's also a great tackler. His positioning and marking abilities makes him one of the best defenders in France and when he hinted last year that he may have made a mistake in joining Marseille from Standard Liege (for just under £7million) Sir Bobby Robson swooped but was immediately knocked back.

Marseille supremo Christophe Bouchet recently said that he would listen to "sizeable" offers for the player but insisted that the player would only want to join a bigger club.

Speaking this month, he said: "If van Buyten receives an offer from a club the same size as Marseille then he will stay - even if he gets better wages.

"If he gets an offer from one of the top five clubs in Europe then it is a different matter."

Liverpool on tradition are one of Europe's biggest clubs but whether or not they would have the pulling power today over the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal and Real Madrid is sadly another matter.

Liverpool striker Milan Baros will not be able to step up his return to action this evening as the reserve game against Bolton Wanderers has been postponed due to a frozen pitch.

The next scheduled reserve game is at home to Newcastle on Monday. The game at Chester's Deva Stadium will kick-off at 7pm depending of course on the conditions.

"I can tell you he wouldn't be available for consideration to play with Michael Owen in the derby. It is too early," said Houllier.

"I would like him to play at least three games in the same way Jamie Carragher did."

Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has hit back at Jean-Alain Boumsong's claims that he was left in transfer limbo by Anfield chiefs.

The Auxerre defender was speaking earlier this week when he explained why he opted to join Glasgow Rangers. He launched a scathing attack on the boss and that has prompted him to reply.

Houllier said: "What Boumsong has said is both deceitful and incorrect, and Auxerre and their directors know this full well.

"The player gave me his word that he would join Liverpool, and we even shook hands. Everything was clear, including his salary and the length of his contract.

"I then learned that he and his agent had decided to sell him to the highest bidder from among Inter Milan, Juventus and Rangers.

"Signing for Rangers is making a choice based on money, and as far as I was concerned the matter was finished.

"I wish him good luck, but if he really wants me to tell the whole truth about this business it is going to be very bad for him.

"I have got all the relevant faxes in my possession to show to anybody who wants to know what really went on."

This makes me laugh - every journalist and his dog are sending players to L`pool. I will wait and see who they actually sign . . .

Liverpool on tradition are one of Europe's biggest clubs but whether or not they would have the pulling power today over the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal and Real Madrid is sadly another matter.

Says it all really . . .

The one thing that Liverpool have going for them is that class players who come in instantly command a place in the starting 11.

Teams like Real, ManU, Arsenal, and Chelsea are already stock full of superstars at nearly every position and an up-and-coming player may think twice before signing if he feels he may not be the first starting option.

I'm sure its easier to become a superstar when you start for your club team, and its easier to get endorsements as well. Younger players may look at other teams that are close to challenging but are not quite there yet like Liverpool, Barcelona, etc. if they feel they can play more often. As long as the "close to challenging" club has a good wage structure, I don't see why a world class player wouldn't consider joining.

I don't see why a world class player wouldn't consider joining.

Because Real Madrid, Arsenal and Man United actually contend and win "proper" trophys, and constantly play Champions League football, where ALL good players want to be playing.

ninjabreakz said:

Because Real Madrid, Arsenal and Man United actually contend and win "proper" trophys, and constantly play Champions League football, where ALL good players want to be playing.

They'd still consider... especially if there was already an established player at "their" position.

eatontj said:
ninjabreakz said:

They'd still consider... especially if there was already an established player at "their" position.

Players are all different, but its the same with anyone, some people would rather be the main man at one club instead of one of many at another, its an ego thing, also if you join a sleeping giant like lfc or barca you could be the catalyst to success and recieve all the plaudits (like Cantona did for us).

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
eatontj said:
ninjabreakz said:

Players are all different, but its the same with anyone, some people would rather be the main man at one club instead of one of many at another, its an ego thing, also if you join a sleeping giant like lfc or barca you could be the catalyst to success and recieve all the plaudits (like Cantona did for us).

very well said indeed vann,as much as youe a prick(scum),very well said ......

Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek has rubbished suggestions that he could be on his way in the summer.

The Polish international was linked with a possible switch to Manchester City recently but injury saw those rumours put to rest. Despite City signing former Red David James, speculation has still suggested that Dudek's place is under threat but he says he won't ask for a transfer even if frozen out.

Speaking to the official Liverpool FC website, Dudek said: "The stories in the newspapers about me moving to another club made me laugh. As I've said before I love this club.

"I think I will stay for a long, long time. Even if I am not playing I will stay and fight for my place. I like it here that much."

Gerard Houllier has until 5pm UK time on Monday to complete any last minute signings during the transfer window.

The Liverpool manager hasn't made any moves because he claims he is happy with his squad which makes him rather unique because Claudio Ranieri, Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson have all entered the market as they aren't happy with theirs.

It was originally believed that the window would close on Saturday but the rules vary because of deadlines covering international clearance, UEFA registration and eligibility for the Premier League.

To field a player in the Premiership for the remainder of the season, the deadline is 5pm on Monday. The European deadline (for players to figure in European competitions) is 11am on Monday. For imported players, clubs have to apply for international clearance with the Football Association by midnight on Saturday.

ninjabreakz said:

Harry Kewell-5mill
Louis Saha-12mill

ya tell me man.......who'd ya rather??

Misfit, in all honesty mate, Kewell is so overrated, its not even funny. We have Giggs, so Kewell don`t really compare (in my bias opinion ;) ) I used to think he was a bit of alright at Leeds, but I haven`t seen anything spectacular at L`pool. As for Saha, I can`t wait to see if his current form can get even better at Old Trafford - and we do have the best training facilities in England, so heres crossed-fingers . . .

Is there any chance we could get rid of all the Man Utd posters from this topic?? Every other post is one of those Manc gits taking the piss, and it would actually be rather nice to have the Liverpool thread for Liverpool fans, or at least people who have something sensible to say. I've just looked through the last 10 pages of the Utd thread and couldn't find one Liverpool fan posting some "humourous" piss taking comments about Utd. If you want to take the piss, feel free, but do it in the Utd forum, or create a LFC piss taking topic, don't ruin this one!

Mods, any chance of doing something about it?

Stu-Pid said:
Is there any chance we could get rid of all the Man Utd posters from this topic?? Every other post is one of those Manc gits taking the piss, and it would actually be rather nice to have the Liverpool thread for Liverpool fans, or at least people who have something sensible to say. I've just looked through the last 10 pages of the Utd thread and couldn't find one Liverpool fan posting some "humourous" piss taking comments about Utd. If you want to take the piss, feel free, but do it in the Utd forum, or create a LFC piss taking topic, don't ruin this one!

Maybe down in london your not aware but there is a little rivalry with scousers and mancs...

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Stu-Pid said:

Maybe down in london your not aware but there is a little rivalry with scousers and mancs...

Maybe up in Manchester you can't read but I did say that I had no problem with piss taking, I just asked that you didn't completely ruin this topic with your 'hilarious' views. I'm well aware of the rivalry, but like I said, the Man Utd topic isn't littered with Liverpool fans, so why do you feel the need to pollute this one?

Feel free to take the piss, but either do it in a different topic or at least make it somewhat interesting or humorous.

Back
Top Bottom