Liverpool Thread

yeovil this sunday,should be a formality.owen and gerrard are said to be available for this game but hope GH will have the brains not to use em' considerin we have that big game against chelsea during the week.hope he gives the squad players the chance tho get past yeovil.i mean,it is yeovil,our squad players should be able to do the job right?...........right?????

Misfit said:
yeovil this sunday,should be a formality.owen and gerrard are said to be available for this game but hope GH will have the brains not to use em' considerin we have that big game against chelsea during the week.hope he gives the squad players the chance tho get past yeovil.i mean,it is yeovil,our squad players should be able to do the job right?...........right?????

Well with lfc being a cup-run club, im sure the scousers will give it their all.

Owens been out for a while now tho hasnt he? dont you think he could do with a bit of match practice misfit?

loz said:
Owens been out for a while now tho hasnt he? dont you think he could do with a bit of match practice CW?

I thnk we will save him til late in the game and maybe bring him on for the last 20/30 minutes. I am with Misfit tho on the whole trying out squad players thing, we can always save the big guns til the 2nd half should we need them

Martin O'Neill today categorically dismissed reports suggesting he is ready to replace Gerard Houllier as Liverpool manager in the summer.

The ambitious and highly-rated Celtic boss was strongly linked with the Anfield post again today despite the Frenchman still being in charge of Liverpool.

But just hours before his team take on Rangers at Parkhead, O'Neill reiterated his desire to stay in Glasgow.

'It's totally and utterly untrue,' said O'Neill. 'How many times have I got to say it? I'm going to try and remain calm and say that story is totally and utterly untrue.

'I wouldn't worry too much about what clauses are in my contract because it's immaterial.'

Despite the timing of the latest Liverpool rumours, O'Neill is refusing to let it affect his preparations for tomorrow's Old Firm showdown

'There's always going to be something that crops up along the way,' he shrugged. 'I can't prevent it. If you're asking me do I like it? Absolutely not. It's untrue and I get used to it.

'It's worthwhile saying today that there is utterly no foundation in that at all. I'm into the second part of my fourth year and it has been constant since I arrived here at the Football Club.

'Not so much in the first season because I was expected to see that out but after the first year it has been constant.

'I'm into my fourth year at the moment and who knows what can happen. I'm a football manager and the very nature of the job makes it somewhat transient.'

Victory tomorrow would see Celtic move a daunting 11 points clear of Rangers at the top of the Bank of Scotland Premier League but O'Neill insists the title race would not be over even then.

'We can either be 11 points clear, eight points clear or five points clear,' he explained. 'I know that when we went to Ibrox people said that had we lost then the championship would have been over because we'd have gone five points behind. 'I didn't believe it then because there were many games to go. Obviously there are less games to go now but there's no reason to believe it now.

'We would be absolutely delighted to win the game. It's an Old Firm game and regardless of what form the teams are in I don't think that counts a jot. We went to Ibrox the last time and we had a few injury problems and we saw it through and won.

'Rangers are getting some of their very best players back now and they'll be strong. We'll have to be absolutely spot on to win the game and even if we're spot on it might not go our way so it's a big game.

'Traditionally it would be a big start to the year but it would still be all to play for.

'I am delighted to be in front rather than behind but the gap that's there we had to overcome that with fewer games left and nearly did it and Rangers are capable of doing that themselves.'

O'Neill goes into the match on the back of his OBE in the new year honours list and he has shared the plaudits with everyone at the club.

He said: 'We've done fine at the football club in the last couple of seasons and people have put a lot of effort in. This has been received on their behalf and that's it in a nutshell.'

hallelujah!!

CWright said:
loz said:
Owens been out for a while now tho hasnt he? dont you think he could do with a bit of match practice CW?

I thnk we will save him til late in the game and maybe bring him on for the last 20/30 minutes. I am with Misfit tho on the whole trying out squad players thing, we can always save the big guns til the 2nd half should we need them

I would definitely like to see Sinama get another run out... a full match.

Tottenham are ready to put striker Freddie Kanoute on the market after he refused to back down over his commitment to Mali.
Kanoute will be away from Spurs for six weeks playing in the African Nations Cup - a decision that has infuriated the club's board.

The striker will be dropped from today's FA Cup tie with Crystal Palace and caretaker manager David Pleat said: "It is a unique problem. It's not like Jay-Jay Okocha at Bolton or Arsenal's Kanu.

"Kanu's Nigerian - he was always Nigerian. Arsene Wenger knew what he was signing and knew he would go away on international duty."

Kanoute, 26, changed allegiance to his parents' homeland of Mali, having played for the French Under-21s.

Birmingham City have approached Tottenham over striker Robbie Keane.
Press reports yesterday suggested the Blues have made an enquiry about the Republic of Ireland international, who had a bust-up with Spurs fans last week.

Birmingham are in the market for a new striker and may move for Keane if they fail to land Celtic's Henrik Larsson at the end of the season.

Juventus are offering Edgar Davids to foreign clubs this month.
The Dutchman is off contract in the summer and Juve are resigned to losing him at the end of the season.

Club officials have decided to allow Davids to leave on a six-month loan - but only to a foreign club. His agent confirmed the proposal in yesterday's press.

Fulham and Chelsea are among clubs to have been linked with Davids in the past week.

wouldnt this be good options for us?kanoute if available for around 3mill wouldnt be too bad.keane bein a pool' fan is class IMO,we should grab him if available.davids is world class indeed and if fulham are eyeing him,why not us???

Manchester United are in talks with PSV Eindhoven over youngster Arjen Robben.
The teenager was given a tour of Old Trafford yesterday after meeting with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Independent says the 19-year-old left-sided striker discussed the possibility of signing for Manchester United at the club's Carrington training base. Old Trafford officials were considering closing a quick deal for £5m.

Robben arrived to look round Old Trafford in the morning and then had a meeting with the United manager along with a PSV official and the player's advisers.

its stuff like that that really pisses me off!!while the likes of manure,chelsea go for class players/upcoming stars,we are not even tryin to get em'!!first manure got ronaldo(as much as he is a one trick pony now,the guy is class and will come very good in time)and now robben??we will fall too far behind if we dont do somethin bout it.i know how people say we should go for british players but come on?who we kiddin??they arent just many good british players out there,even if they are,completely overpriced.30mill for a junkie(rio)??11mill for rubbish(emily)??dyers valued at 20mill??f*ck em' i say,lets go for robben(5mill),kluivert(1.5 although he's salary pretty makes it come to bout 8/9mill),overmars(2/3mill??),cisse(10mill),hofland(3/4mill) etc....

Liverpool's Premiership game at Wolves will now take place on Wednesday January 21st with a 7.45pm kick-off. A waterlogged pitch prevented this fixture from taking place last month.

The Reds have also confirmed that their Premiership fixture at Leeds has been put back 24 hours and will now take place on Sunday February 29th with a 12 noon kick-off.

good victory for you scouse lot, but i think 2-0 is not enough, the entire first half, fairly dominated by yeovil, and LFC were very lucky dudek got to that shot... several calls the ref called back, but hopefully you guys can regroup yerselves

-azn

Kewell went down way too easily in the box which set up the second goal, but a win is a win, and considering the 'giant killers' build-up to the game, it was an OK result. Dudek was in great form. Agree with you completely, misfit, concerning the buying of young foreign players. Who knows where VDV will end up? Last summer he was saying playing at United or 'Pool would be a dream come true for him, and recently I've seen reports stating Barca has always been his favourite club as a child. He'll definitely leave Ajax this summer, but where he'll go, I don't know. Sneijder is on the market too, I would believe. Hmmm, van de Persie comes to mind after that, but I'm not sure of his intentions.

If we play like that on Wednesday night against Chelski we will get absolutely fuckin murdered

ive gotta agree, you guys laid back, but credit to YTFC, they had AMAZING first touch passes, and that really killed you guys because you were playing flat footed

-azn

YTFC did have the advantage in determination, christ, those yahoos where all over the field.

And how many back heel through balls can one team complete?... I think I counted 4.

I was pleased with the result as there is not much you can do against a team playing with so much spirit except ride it out and take your chances when they come, as 'Pool did. BUT, I'd like to see a winger be able to dribble around at least one player... that is one thing that Liverpool hasn't really done much of all year... does GH discourage individual play?... or is it that no one can do it?... (not Kewell?, Diouf?, Murphy?, or ALT?)

eh, a win is a win, I'll be watching Chelksi on wednesday.

HARRY KEWELL was branded a cheat as edgy Liverpool survived an FA Cup scare.

Yeovil defender Hugo Rodrigues, the League’s tallest player, insisted Aussie star Kewell conned ref Neale Barry to win a 77th-minute penalty.

And he raged: “I spoke with Kewell at the time and told him I never touched him. He said ‘Yeah, I know you didn’t. But this is football, man. I had to dive’.

Portuguese ace Rodrigues, who is 6ft 8ins, added: “I have seen my challenge on Kewell again on the TV and it definitely wasn’t a foul.”

Danny Murphy converted the disputed spot kick — to finish off brave Third Division Yeovil — seven minutes after substitute Emile Heskey had fired Liverpool into the lead.

But Rodrigues fumed: “We deserved at least a draw because they scored one goal and were given a penalty that was not a penalty.

"Liverpool tried it at least four times in the first half and they do it to put pressure on the referee.”

The result was enough to put a smile back on the face of under-fire manager Gerard Houllier, who faces a grilling from disillusioned shareholders at the club’s AGM today.

Houllier decided not to risk recalling striker Michael Owen for yesterday’s game following a five-week injury lay-off and is not sure if the England ace will be fit for Wednesday’s Premiership clash at Chelsea.

The Kop boss admitted: “We knew we’d have to be totally committed but we stayed strong and we were focused, strong and disciplined.

"I can see why Yeovil are known as giantkillers.”

Yeovil we're superb yesterday, the passing and movement in the 1st half put the sorry scousers to shame, Geds face was a picture when Heskey bagged the 1st you could see the relief, Yeovil had them running scared.

In the end Yeovil come out of it with their heads held higher than the scousers, Kewell admitted he had to cheat such is the pressure on the scousers nowadays.

The Chelsea game should be a good one...

Yeovil were good yesterday BUT L`POOL ARE STILL A PREMIERSHIP OUTFIT (or supposed to be) its not excused!

Chelsea will kill L`pool next game.

haha sure why not, make it high scoring and a dramatic comeback of some kind... and by the by

<a href = "http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=287645&cc=5739">Soccernet: Cisse not a done deal, insists Houllier</a>

WHY?! DO! YOU! NEED! HIM!!

-azn

I think Gerard Houllier must have given the Liverpool players a helpful hint at half-time, he must've told him 'Guys, pick your arses up that ain't really Celtic your playing out there, it's just a team with the same kind of strip. :mrgreen: '. Great diver from Harry Louganis btw. :roll:

FD

Your not famous anymore!!!!

A heart warming tale to bring in the New Year as angry Mickeys take it out on each other. Below from Ananova

'An emotional Liverpool chairman David Moores has threatened "to look at his own position" if the club decline further.

Moores and Gerard Houllier had an uncomfortable night as a succession of shareholders criticised the Reds' performance at the club's annual general meeting.

Moores had to withstand a sustained verbal assault from the club's third-biggest shareholder - building magnate Steve Morgan - who does not hold a position on the board.

Morgan said: "The chairman has refused to talk to me. Money is available from me and others, but the chairman will not dilute his holding."

Moores responded by saying: "This is no good for this club, we must bury the hatchet. If it means diluting my shares or even selling to another Roman Abramovich, I will have to do it."

And at the end of the meeting, Moores said: "The buck stops here. If it gets any worse I will have to look at my own position, but I hope it does not come to that.

"This has been a sad night for me personally. People are not happy, I did not expect an easy ride. But what has been happening is not good enough for our club even if I still believe in Gerard Houllier."

Moores has been majority shareholder and chairman for more than a decade and holds a 51 per cent controlling interest.

Houllier made a strong defence of his regime and received warm applause after his report to the meeting.

Houllier admitted: "I share your frustrations, but fourth place in the Premiership is achievable. I remain confident in my squad but patience is not a virtue - but we need time. All my injured players will be back in four weeks and then we will be a different proposition.

"I accept some of our recruits have not delivered, those signed in 2002 have fallen short and have not shown what we bought them for and they know they are not producing."

Then Morgan added: "Your shareholders have shown their frustration. We have spent the evening talking of catching Manchester United but 14 years ago we were ahead of them.

"We have lost a generation of supporters. Everywhere you look, here and abroad, all you see is that bloody Vodafone shirt everywhere.

"I like Gerard Houllier, this is not a personal attack, but there is frustration and a need for change."

LOL!!!

lfc only 30miles from greatness!!!

The Moores family's 50-year hold over Liverpool could come to an end if chairman David carries out his threat to give up control of the club.

Moores - who insisted he still backs manager Gerard Houllier - made the amazing revelation with his very final words at a stormy annual general meeting last night.

Moores and Houllier were criticised by a long succession of shareholders frustrated by the club's indifferent form on the field.

Just how close Moores is to letting control of Anfield slip through his fingers will not be known until the end of another roller-coaster season.

But for the first time, Moores has agreed to hold talks with multi-millionaire Steve Morgan, the club's third-largest shareholder, who he has been at loggerheads with for years.

Morgan has always wanted a say in the running of the club and possibly a place on the board, but that is something that has been denied the building magnate.

Moores said to the shareholders: 'I appreciate all you say, I hear all you say, and as chairman the buck stops with me.

'We around this board still have faith in Gerard and his backroom staff, and we are only halfway through the season.

'At the end of the season I will be looking at myself, but at the moment we carry on and try to do the best we can do.

'But I believe we can come through this, because I believe in what the manager has planned for the future, and our success.'

Houllier - who takes his injury-hit side to Chelsea tomorrow - gave a speech strongly backing his policies and plans, but he too must now be concerned about the direction in which Moores will take the club.

Qualification for the Champions League is about the only thing that would maintain the status quo at Anfield now.

Moores' words will ring around Merseyside until the end of the campaign.

He said: 'The buck stops here. If it gets any worse I will have to look at my own position, but I hope it does not come to that.

'This has been a sad night for me personally. People are not happy, I did not expect an easy ride. But what has been happening is not good enough for our club even if I still believe in Gerard Houllier.'

Moores has been majority shareholder and chairman for more than a decade, and holds a 51% controlling interest. If he were to quit or take a step down, Houllier's position could be under threat.

Such was the volume of criticism - led by Morgan, who maintained he had money and was willing to invest in the club - that Moores conceded he was prepared to talk.

Morgan said: 'The chairman has refused to talk to me, money is available from me and others, but the chairman will not dilute his holding.'

Moores responded by saying: 'It is time to bury the hatchet, if you (Morgan) want a meeting, we will sit down and talk it over.

'This is no good for this club, we must bury the hatchet. If it means diluting my shares or even selling to another Roman Abramovich, I will have to do it.'

Michael Owen's agent Jonathan Holmes has once again cast doubt over the striker's long-term future at Liverpool.

Owen, 24, has less than 18 months left on his contract at Anfield and has been the subject of repeated transfer rumours in recent months.

Real Madrid and Chelsea have both been linked with a move for the England forward, who has reportedly become frustrated with Liverpool's lack of success.

Holmes once again added fuel to the fire by telling The Daily Telegraph: 'Champions League football is very important to Michael.

'A crucial five months await Liverpool. For them not to qualify for the Champions League two years on the trot would have severe economic repercussions.

'Michael is now 24 and he is moving into his prime. He needs to be playing at the very highest level of club football.'

ninjabreakz said:

judgin by their last few games?????dont know if ya know the score between em' and watford(with a multi million squad that chelsea have).youve got to be kiddin surely?i dont see us winnin it cos of our horrible record at stamford bridge and of cos of our performances in the last few years but gettin murdered???not gonna happen....

Misfit said:
ninjabreakz said:

judgin by their last few games?????dont know if ya know the score between em' and watford(with a multi million squad that chelsea have).youve got to be kiddin surely?i dont see us winnin it cos of our horrible record at stamford bridge and of cos of our performances in the last few years but gettin murdered???not gonna happen....

I think ninja's hate for you guys overlooks him being neutral. He wants you to lose so much he believes anyone will beat you.

People do go on about your first half against Yeovil but they were naff against Watford, I wouldn't be suprised in the shell suit wearing ones grabbed something from that game

If Desailly plays as well for Chelsea as he has been doing in recent games and Heskey starts we may have a chance

Back
Top Bottom