Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

LIVERPOOL co-owner George Gillett today admitted his partnership with Tom Hicks had completely broken down and was beyond repair.

And he told of the death threats he and his family had been receiving from fans amid the ongoing controversy surrounding Anfield.

Gillett revealed he had also recently offered Hicks the chance to buy out his half share in the Reds but that he had run out of time.

He also declared that Hicks had tried to veto him selling to Dubai International Capital – whom he said would make ‘very responsible owners’ of the trouble-torn club.

The Dubai company has already had a recent £400m bid for Anfield turned down by Hicks, who insists he is not interested in selling his stake.

Gillett spoke at length for the first time of the crisis at Anfield in an interview with radio station Fan590 in Canada, where he admitted he may now pursue an interest in establishing a soccer club in Montreal which would play in America’s MLS.

The owner of the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team did not reveal what he planned to do with his half share of Liverpool now, but said there were ‘pieces on the chess board moving’.

Said Gillett: “There are things going on - there are pieces on the chess board moving but it would not be helpful for us to comment.”

Referring to Hicks’ revelation in the Echo last month that the pair had approached Jurgen Klinsmann to line him up as a potential successor to Rafael Benitez, he added: “We get as many as 2,000 emails a week.

“Ninety five per cent of them have been directed at some of the comments made by my partner. And five per cent aimed at both of us.... ‘Go Home Americans!’

“The thing that angers fans the most is the prospect I might sell even one share of my stock to my partner.

“They do not want him to have any controlling interest in this club – they do not even want him to have any ownership in the club.

“As a result of that – and it’s been very difficult for my wife with the amount that I travel – we receive many phone calls in the middle of the night threatening our lives – death threats.

“A number came to the office and my son Foster and daughter-in-law Lauren have received them.

“It’s interesting the calls are not against my wife or myself or my son or my daughter in law, as much as they are against us selling to our partner.

“So we are rethinking that.

“Frankly I don’t think it’s fair for me to put my family in that kind of danger.

“So instead of thinking about selling I might think about buying.”

Referring to his joint ownership with Texan billionaire Hicks, Colorado-based Gillett admitted: “This partnership has been unworkable for some time. But not because of us – we have tried to be co-operative, we have tried to be supportive but when your public persona is more important than the facts, that makes it difficult to have a rational relationship.

Asked about his plans going forward Gillett added: “We were very fair. We gave our partner a long period of time to try to make arrangements to buy us out.

“We didn’t put pressure on him but he ultimately did not get to the finish line.

“In the meantime, because of the things he said, the fans’ reaction has been so negative towards him – and towards us if we sold to him – that has now made that an untenable alternative for us.

“He threatened to block me selling to Dubai - that was certainly one of the things that made the fans upset.

“Lord knows DIC have the money; with oil prices going up every day, that’s not an issue. They certainly have the history and they are fans.

“I think they would have been very responsible owners.

“But making that not possible or difficult didn’t endear people to the fans.

Pledging to do what was best for the club now, Gillett promised: “What I know is that the fans and the great fabled history of this club deserves better – and we are going to do whatever we can to prove that in whatever role we play.”

Despite the threats and the general furore Gillett revealed he and his son Foster – a club director – intended to travel to England to attend one of the upcoming games against Arsenal next week.

@ blue4life: dude are you more happy in your merseyside rivals losing or you guys screwing up the chance to win the UEFA cup??

@ blue4life: dude are you more happy in your merseyside rivals losing or you guys screwing up the chance to win the UEFA cup??

It comes down to us all of the time. Even when Everton fans score, they start to sing crap about us. They really do spend so much time directing hatred and bitterness to us as much as supporting their own team I think.

Yeh. I am all waiting for songs about Torres and Gerrard's daughter....

I listened to the Gillett interview. One thing he mentioned on quiet a few occassions was that selling to Hicks was no longer a viable option. But then he also mentioned how DIC 'would have made' great owners.

I read that too, the word "would" isn't a good word :(

He also says about him getting phone calls and he associates them with Hicks more than himself. And that he's not thinking about selling but buying. So is he looking to raise money to buy Hicks out?

It comes down to us all of the time. Even when Everton fans score, they start to sing crap about us. They really do spend so much time directing hatred and bitterness to us as much as supporting their own team I think.

i kinda feel they love putting you guys down more than supporting their team from the looks and posts of fans over on this forum!! :((

is that right dags? seems like you red-shite spend alot of ,time slagging your blues brother; pot calling the kettle black
i didnt start any of this recent bout of attacks ...you did:r1

Last edited:

There is FAR FAR FAAAAR more slagging off of Liverpool going on from the the couple of Everton fans than the number of Liverpool fans. And I'd expect other people (like Delta) to say they've noticed the Everton fans spend more time throwing digs at us. We've got enough to talk about with performances, takeovers, players etc. I hardly ever see Liverpool fans going on about Everton. And I especially don't see us winning games/scoring goals and singing about Everton.

FFS dags whats your point? you getting a bit excited with the derby looming, i aint gonna bite, see ya.

is that right dags? seems like you red-shite spend alot of ,time slagging your blues brother; pot calling the kettle black
i didnt start any of this recent bout of attacks ...you did:r1

Blue mate, just for your memory, check the EVERTON VIEW thread and see how many times have we posted in your thread slagging you. And then, come back here, and count the number of posts you've made, the slagging 'banter' as you like to call them.

and about the recent bout of attacks banter, began only after you said something about some 'broken dreams' you see.

Last edited:

And Cahill's out for the season .. I hope Reds can capitalize this ;)

And well for the sake of derbies, we say "let the slagging begin!" from now till the final whistle on Sunday.

FFS dags whats your point? you getting a bit excited with the derby looming, i aint gonna bite, see ya.

My point is that I agree with Delta. Why are you having a go at me for agreeing with him? Is it because I'm a Red and you get a kick out of slagging off us, and Delta is a Chelsea fan? Delta was the first to make the comment but you turned on me? :LOL:

oh come now blue4life you have to admit you guys are the first people come in here if Liverpool are screwed and gloat about it... you gotta take credit for that right??

oh come now blue4life you have to admit you guys are the first people come in here if Liverpool are screwed and gloat about it... you gotta take credit for that right??

Not STRICTLY true, Plan M is the first, VERY closely followed by Blue/Chico ;)

Just messing Mike :)

Blue mate, just for your memory, check the EVERTON VIEW thread and see how many times have we posted in your thread slagging you. And then, come back here, and count the number of posts you've made, the slagging 'banter' as you like to call them.

and about the recent bout of attacks banter, began only after you said something about some 'broken dreams' you see.

around the time off the last derby there was over 100 posts slagin us off remember?

around the time off the last derby there was over 100 posts slagin us off remember?

there are posts slagging us off everyday, and Dags named the posters already. now tell me, the day u drew west-ham, how many of us came and slagged bantered in the everton thread? the next day after we lost to a certain team, you were the one to first start by saying the 'normal service resumed' thing? now, DO YOU REMEMBER?

Last edited:

hoping for a good well contested but fair derby on sunday! biggest derby in a long long time . massive! may the best team on the day win...

Not STRICTLY true, Plan M is the first, VERY closely followed by Blue/Chico ;)

Just messing Mike :)

Of course I am, L'pool are one of our main rivals. It's all banter mate - that's what football is about my friend. :))

Hey guys, i heard Abhishek mention a while back that you were linked with Bentley do you lot think he's good enough? i think the kids quality reminds of Becks could be one of the wingers for the summer?

which is about the only time we do slag you off. Derby day, otherwise you aren't usually in our thoughts. Granted you are now because you are being peskey and challenging us for 4th! Rascals!

Back
Top Bottom