Liverpool Thread

After the bollocking Houllier must have given them after that game I can only see one winner in this weekends game, thats us by the way....

this is definitely one game we have to win as the geordies are the only ones who are challengin us for 4th spot...im still not that confident,im goin for a 1-1 draw..

PS:if the only the transfer market would open now!

Chelsea are leading the race to sign West Ham's Jermain Defoe claim newspaper reports today.

The Blues are prepared to pay around £12million for the striker who has been linked on-and-off with the Reds in the last year or so.

Defoe is a name that we have paid special attention to when we wade through the various speculation that crops up because we know Gerard Houllier is an admirer. If Houllier was to swoop for Defoe - and we don't think he will - we believe he'd be prepared to pay no more than £6m for him. Manchester United value the player at £8m so if Chelsea go in with £12m, there's only one place he will be next season.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink would definitely be looking for a new club if Defoe arrived and we have been linked with him in the last six months albeit weakly.

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has launched an attack on his players for their poor performance this evening.

The Reds crashed out of the League Cup following a 3-2 defeat at home to Bolton and the manager was furious after the game.

"We let the fans and the club down and there's no excuse," said ths boss. "We didn't deserve to go through tonight and we let ourselves down.

"I'm angry with my players and I am not happy with the performance. We wasted chances, made basic errors and shot ourselves in the foot after equalising then conceding more goals.

"The passing was not good enough and credit to Bolton, they took their chances. The game was there to be won and we didn't take it.

"I'm so angry and the players will know that when we come in tomorrow."

Gerard Houllier has issued a chilling warning to his troops - 'Shape up or you'll be out!'

The warning comes after a poor performance last night which saw the Reds crash out of the League Cup following Bolton's 3-2 victory at Anfield.

"They have got to know they have a responsibility. A responsibility that only men can have," said the manager. "If you can't bear the responsibility you have got to move on or rot in the reserves."

It's about time the manager handed a bit back to certain individuals who he's stood by. Ok he signs the players and he picks the team but many of them don't even look like they want to wear the Red shirt. Not only have they let us down but they've let him down.

This is exactly the sort of wake-up call that has been missing. Some of them are just here for the ride. I'd rather have seen more youngsters like Otsemobor last night if we're going to just ponce around like that. At least then we'd have 11 players that are fighting for the right to wear the famous Red shirt.

Liverpool 'keeper Jerzy Dudek may not make the squad for the trip to Newcastle at the weekend due to an injury.

The Polish international injured his knee during last night's League Cup match against Bolton when he blocked a shot in the first half.

Dudek has undergone a scan today to determine how serious the injury is and until the results come back, Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier will be left biting his nails.

Chris Kirkland is the club's number one at the moment but as he's previously been prone to injuries it is obviously important to have experienced cover on the bench.

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier says Harry Kewell is a doubt for Saturday's game against Newcastle.

Kewell picked up an ankle injury during Wednesday's League Cup defeat at home to Bolton and remains in pain today.

Confirming the news, Gerard Houllier said: "I don't know if Harry will be able to play. He is doubtful."

The news comes a massive blow to the Reds who could also be without Jerzy Dudek.

just about what we didnt need.bein without kewell and owen(who are mostly amongst the goals ever scored),i think we'll be lucky to get away with a draw although we should be teams like that to qualify for the CL...

Misfit said:
did anyone watch the game(bolton,LC)?ostembor had a runout and was wonderin how he fared....

Yeah, I'm also curious as to how well he did... and what is going on with Walsh? He always does well for me in CM...

he must be still pissed at not bein given a chance to get a run out i the first team.the likes of him,patridge,ostembor should be given a chance if the likes of traore,smicer,heskey gets a place in the first team.since were on what happened to em',is cheyrou another diomede?will he ever play for us again or gonna dissapear into oblivion again?

Kewell is out injured for 3 weeks. Can anything else go wrong at the mo :roll:

i still cant believe ya back us to win 3-1.as much i would love us us to get all 3pts up there,i'd think we'd be lucky comin away with anythin at all...1-1 for me..

PS:wonder what the odds are on pongolle gettin us a penalty?

as predicted,thought we were real lucky to come away with anythin at all.thx to kirkland.thought otsemebor had a decent game as well...

Misfit said:
as predicted,thought we were real lucky to come away with anythin at all.thx to kirkland.thought otsemebor had a decent game as well...

We sat back way too much when we lost Pongo early in the 2nd half, why he didnt move Heskey into the Forward position I dont know. He tried everyone up there but him

eatontj said:
Misfit said:
did anyone watch the game(bolton,LC)?ostembor had a runout and was wonderin how he fared....

Yeah, I'm also curious as to how well he did... and what is going on with Walsh? He always does well for me in CM...

I was "lucky" enough to be at that match.

Ostembor was excellent - he rimnded me of Rob jones in his prime - pacey, skillful and prepared to take players on.

He did 2 or 3 runs against Gardener (who is no slouch) and beat him everytime for pace. One run he did in the second half found him inside the box (bit like Veggard Heggems goal against Bradford a few years back..).

He also gave the ball away in our half a couple of times but he tackled back to rectify his own mistake on both occasions.

I don't see a reason why he won't stay in the side now (especially 'cause he had another decent game yesterday where I thought he kept Robert relativley quiet).

Shame I can't get as excited about the rest of the team - is it just me or has Dioufy gone back to last seasons form again in the past few games?

He was poo against Bolton.

Yeah, I also thought Ostembor played well... esp. after getting an early (probably undeserved) yellow card.

Diouf once again got caught up with yelling at the official to earn another fucking yellow. That guy has to get a bit more professional.

I think you forgot how well Hamann played, he was easily the best player on the red side yesterday.

Anyway, not the best looking of games... but a point is a point.

Manchester United and Liverpool are among the clubs interested in PSV Eindhoven striker Mateja Kezman, according to the club's technical manager.

Frank Arnesen has confirmed there is a good chance the Serbo-Montenegrin international will leave the Dutch side during January's transfer window.

Kezman - who scored four goals in his side's weekend 7-0 demolition of Volendam - was signed as Ruud van Nisterlooy's replacement before the Manchester United striker's knee injury stalled his move to Old Trafford.

And, although PSV are reluctant to see him leave, they accept it might be time for the 24-year-old to move on.

'Not only Manchester United and Liverpool, also four to five other clubs are interested,' Arnesen told Canal Plus.

'If the money is good enough and if Kezman is happy with the club interested, it is very possible that he could leave in January.

'We do not want to stand in his way, he has done so much for PSV over the past four years, and he has said in the past a few times that he would like to climb up the ladder a bit.'

Kezman's new agent Chiel Dekker had discussions with Barcelona last week while the player admitted he was looking for a move.

'I know that I am ready for the step. You have seen what has happened to Ruud van Nistelrooy,' he told Voetbal International.

'At a certain point you need to do that as a player.'

Liverpool have rubbished claims that manager Gerard Houllier has been offered a job setting up a football academy for the Australian FA.

And they have also revealed that they will be taking legal advice over a newspaper report that Liverpool directors have already sounded out Martin O'Neill to be Houllier's successor at Anfield.

This is the latest twist in the long running saga over claims that the Celtic manager is heading for Anfield.

The club have also revealed that they are nearing a conclusion to legal action over newspaper claims earlier this season that O'Neill had already signed a pre-contract agreement with the Merseysiders.

On the claims involving the Australian FA, Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said:

'It is nonsense to suggest Gerard has been offered a job to run their academy.

'What has happened is that the Australians have approached him asking for advice in setting up their new academy. That does not involve the offer of a job.

'Gerard has said that they must approach Liverpool first before he can take it any further, and so far that has not happened.'

Cotton added: 'Bearing in mind the success Gerard had running the French academy, who better could the Australians turn to for advice?'

The Aussies have also approached Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry for further help and advice over the structure of the game Down Under, wanting to tap into Parry's experience of setting up the Premier League before he joined the Anfield club.

The constant speculation involving O'Neill has increasingly angered Liverpool and Houllier.

The French manager has even resorted to making jokes about the situation, recently saying 'I suppose it will be O'Neill again' following the home defeat by Manchester United.

CWright said:
Misfit said:

We sat back way too much when we lost Pongo early in the 2nd half, why he didnt move Heskey into the Forward position I dont know. He tried everyone up there but him

youre absolutely spot on,we sat back way too much and were inviting trouble.was also wonderin why heskey didnt go into forward position but thats hardly surprisin considerin houllier's tactics.....

Eaton's absolutely right as well,hamann was f*ckin outstandin!

The thing that annoyed me was that Houllier saw it as a good result!!

If we had been playing attacking football during the 2nd half instead of defending for the 2nd 45 then we could have come away from there with a win

And according to the bookies Houllier is going to be the next manager given the sack. Never gonna happen but I thought it was interesting

he'll never be sacked, just asked to agree (mutually) to leave and i think that may just happen this summer if we don't get 4th spot.

i cannot, myself, make up my mind about him, his squads down to it's bare bones which ain't his fault and i do not want Martin O'Neil in. similarly, we seem to be going backwards rather than forwards this year.

Thing about O'Neil is, if you think Heskey plays too much now.....he used to play him on the wings at Leicester!

He also plays a fast, direct style (to be diplomatic) which i wouldn't like to see implemented at Anfield.

Liverpool chairman David Moores has hinted the future of manager Gerard Houllier is on shaky ground.
In his annual report to shareholders, Moores said: "Over recent years I have repeatedly said the club's overriding objective is consistent qualification for the Champions League.

"Whilst this remains the overriding minimum acceptable target the ambition is, and always has been, to win every competition we enter for.

"Last year we finished fifth in the Premier League and won the Worthington Cup.

"We failed in our target of qualification for the Champions League.

"By no means a write-off, the season must be viewed as disappointing, especially when compared with our excellent year-on-year progress."

Moores added: "We must all accept that the season-wide performance fell some way short of the high standards we have set ourselves and what our fans have come to expect.

"Acknowledgment of this hurts everyone, me as chairman, all members of the board, the coaching staff, and, of course, the players."

Auxerre defender Jean-Alain Boumsong has confirmed that he will be signing for Glasgow Rangers.

The Frenchman said he took advice from France national coach Jacques Santini about the Gers and added that other clubs who had shown interest in him made no real attempts to sign him.

"I spoke to Santini and he told me to have no worries about signing for Rangers," said Boumsong.

"He said they are a big club, just like Marseille, Inter Milan or anyone else. He said the most important thing is that I am playing in the Champions League or at least in the Uefa Cup. And I know I'll get that for sure with Rangers.

"I was very impressed by both David Murray and Alex McLeish and also by the way I was treated during my time in Scotland.

"They showed me they wanted me and were prepared to make me an offer.

"I have talked to other clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal and Inter Milan. But they keep on telling me to wait and I'm not prepared to wait for them when Rangers are showing how much they want me in Glasgow."

The extremists will no doubt use this against Gerard Houllier but at the end of the day there are bigger fish than Boumsong. Liverpool may now turn their attentions back to his team-mate Philip Mexes. One player we'd love to see snapped up would be Forest's Michael Dawson, a player Liverpool have been monitoring for some time.

Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek has had a bust-up with manager Gerard Houllier claim sources in the city today.

It is claimed that the pair had a heated exchange of words over the player's performance against Bolton. Dudek was fit to face Newcastle at the weekend but Houllier opted to put Patrice Luzi on the bench instead.

Houllier has always seen Kirkland as his number one but injuries delayed his introduction into the team. Dudek on the other hand looks set to follow in Sander Westerveld's foot-steps. Call us suspicious if you like but maybe the 'Man City turn to Dudek' headlines were circulated in the hope of tempting Kevin Keegan to make an approach in January now that Kirkland is back in the sticks.

The club are likely to play down the reports but money talks and Jerzy Dudek is available if someone shows the money.

Back
Top Bottom