Liverpool Thread

did anyone watch rivaldo's performance against the peruvians?for someone who hasnt been playin regurlarly,he was absolutely class.cant believe people are sayin he's lost it.he was definitely MOM for the game and i'm hopin we really sign him...

Apparantly Liverpool are signing a time machine, so they can go back to the 70s and be worth watching again :D

he sure will....

here's two liverpool players in the new adidas ad anyways...

adiad.jpg

Liverpool have been approached by one of the big two in the Scottish Premier League with regards to the availability of one of Gerard Houllier's first team players.

With the transfer window fast approaching clubs are now stepping up their interests in various targets. Liverpool themselves have made several enquiries over the last few weeks and are looking to trim their own squad either in January or the summer so it comes as no surprise that a few cheeky enquiries may start coming our way.

Newspaper speculation has suggested that Rangers are in the market for a midfielder while rivals Celtic are hoping to recruit a striker.

It will be interesting to see if anything appears in the British press over the weekend.

playin boro next and there's good news for us,Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen, Stephane Henchoz and Didi Hamann are all tipped to return to the squad thanks to the international break.

Misfit said:
playin boro next and there's good news for us,Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen, Stephane Henchoz and Didi Hamann are all tipped to return to the squad thanks to the international break.

Thank fuck for that

CWright said:
Misfit said:

Thank fuck for that

i dont know man,when was the last time we won there?

I wont say that I am optimistic of us getting a result up there coz the last time I thought we would win we got beat (Man U was the game) I thought we would hammer em but I was so wrong.

I am therefore predicting a Boro win in the hope that it jinxes them :D

Liverpool came away from Middlesbrough with only a point from this dull affair wondering how they were never awarded a penalty.

Second half substitute Florent Sinama-Pongolle was hacked down in the area and video footage concludes that we were robbed when the referee turned down our appeals.

Midfielders Danny Murphy and El-Hadji Diouf have been singled out for most of the criticism today but it would be easier to name the players who had a good game. Igor Biscan, Sami Hyypia and Djimi Traore should be singled out for fine individual displays. The rest had mixed performances. One thing that was evident was the extremely poor standard of passing.

Steve Finnan was taken off injured but up until then had not had a good game and Florent Sinama-Pongolle was still limping after the game from that tackle when he was hacked down.

Liverpool remain 9th in the Premier League 15 points behind Arsenal and 7 points away from relegation. Manc City, Fulham, Newcastle, Birmingham, Charlton, Man United and Chelsea are all above us

Early reports from within the Liverpool camp suggest that Steve Finnan could miss the Reds UEFA Cup tie against Steaua Bucharest on Thursday after picking up a calf injury today against Middlesbrough.

Finnan - along with team-mate Florent Sinama-Pongolle (ankle) - will undergo full medical examinations when the Reds return to Liverpool.

Both players are said to be in considerable pain at this time.

Misfit said:
Liverpool came away from Middlesbrough with only a point from this dull affair wondering how they were never awarded a penalty.

Second half substitute Florent Sinama-Pongolle was hacked down in the area and video footage concludes that we were robbed when the referee turned down our appeals.

I was there and ive seen the reply in the concourse. If yours was ours was. I think it was pretty fair that urs wastn given since ours wasnt. But you werent anything special today, although yes you did have more decent shots than we did but that was the sheer class of some of your players shining through. I think we out classed you at times but again we lacked the cutting edge to score that goal. So at the end of the day a game of 2 defences and a mid field battle.

BoroBoyz said:
Misfit said:

I was there and ive seen the reply in the concourse. If yours was ours was. I think it was pretty fair that urs wastn given since ours wasnt. But you werent anything special today, although yes you did have more decent shots than we did but that was the sheer class of some of your players shining through. I think we out classed you at times but again we lacked the cutting edge to score that goal. So at the end of the day a game of 2 defences and a mid field battle.

cant disagree with ya there.on another note,always hate it when houllier(or managers)start to moan bout penalties not given rather to just say that we werent good enough to get a goal from open play.we are seriously in trouble now.as 4th place is all we're playin for now,it's disturbin to see us not pickin up points,lyin in 9th position while the likes of newcastle are in a good shout for 4th spot.how long can this keep goin on???hell i'd even settle for king kenny as manager now as he is said to be takin over houllier next season regardless of how we do..

PS:birmingham next at anfield,we'll win it for sure.we will right?right??

Liverpool have enquired about the availablity of PSV Eindhoven striker Mateja Kezman claim newspaper reports today.

The 24 year old - signed from Partizan Belgrade for £7million in July 2000 - will have raised his profile even more after scoring two goals against NEC Nijmegen yesterday in PSV's 3-2 away win.

Reports claim that the Reds lead the race to sign Kezman who recently returned to action following a three game suspension he received for striking a player last month.

The player was also at the centre of bizarre kidnap plot recently. A 59-year-old man from Arnhem was arrested for planning to kidnap the player for financial gain but was later released pending further enquiries.

The Serbian striker scored 35 goals last season and came close to winning Europe's Golden Boot.

It's worth listening out for the player's name but it should be noted that he has also been linked with several other Premiership clubs recently.

Kezman will set you back too much I think, Liverpool haven't had any CL money for 2 years now so I think that could scupper any deal.

Kluivert is available for £1.3m in the summer, also rumours that Barca are so intent on getting rid of him that they will let him go for the same price in January. He gets paid £5.7m a year I'm told tho...

ClassicD said:
Kezman will set you back too much I think, Liverpool haven't had any CL money for 2 years now so I think that could scupper any deal.

Kluivert is available for £1.3m in the summer, also rumours that Barca are so intent on getting rid of him that they will let him go for the same price in January. He gets paid £5.7m a year I'm told tho...

yeah i have doubts bout the whole kezman thing as well.kluivert's probably headin to arsenal.we'll just get cisse and boumsong which will set us back 10mill for both of em though.kezman should be replacin kluivert anyways...

by Paul Smith, Sunday Mirror

GERARD Houllier has been given until the end of the season to save his job at Liverpool.

Celtic boss Martin O'Neill is waiting in the wings if the Reds fail to challenge for major honours this season.

The Liverpool board have decided to act swiftly if the Merseyside giants fail to secure a place in the Champions League and will not hesitate to axe Houllier.

Despite widespread and outspoken criticism of their French boss, the Liverpool board have refused to be pressurised into making a change while Houllier still has time to turn the club's fortunes around.

O'Neill is likely to become available in the summer and Liverpool are aware that Tottenham might also offer him a return ticket to English football.

After winning a record haul of five trophies two years ago, Liverpool appear to have gone backwards under Houllier's management.

Dogged by inconsistency, the expected challenge to title rivals Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea has failed to materialise.

Even the home fans are split over Houllier and calls for his head have gathered momentum in recent months.

Liverpool are not known for making knee-jerk reactions, though, and can point to an impressive record of having just seven managers in charge over a 40-year period.

In some respects, Houllier has been extremely fortunate and enjoys a strong relationship with chairman David Moores and chief executive Rick Parry.

But even they realise that the underachievement at Anfield must stop.

It's got so bad, Liverpool are prepared to stump up a near £2million compensation package if they decide to sack Houllier.

Kezman talk is just paper talk...He wants to play for a big club in the CL, he'll be off to Spain or Italy next season.

We're just looking abysmal, Houllier still keeps making up tedious excuses, while Gerrard is telling it up straight, we're simply not good enough.

Come January we need to bring some fresh faces into the squad to inject some life into the non-starter season.

This is Houllier's last season in charge regardless if we qualify for the CL.

I'd like to see O'Neill for next season or someone like Advocatt for his non-bullshit attitude...

Euro 2004 will be on, so I would be surprised if you got Advocaat. I'm also surprised you want him, he put Rangers nearly £100m in debt, and MON still whooped him in his first season.

Whether you get MON or not depends on how far Celtic get in Europe this year and how much $$$ the board will give him to spend for next. If they give him sufficient cash then he'll stay, he's a Celtic man, but after a summer of non-spending after last year's great run (for an SPL side), I don't think he could stomach the same this time should we do as well again. Celtic fans wouldn't blame him if this happened anyway, the board have no choice to give him money if not doing so means he leaves - because quite simply the board would face a revolt if they didn't. I guess no MON for Anfield then ;).

Kezman has scored 3 goals in 20 CL games. Scoring 35 in the Dutch league isn't what i call too impressive. I don't see him score a lot in Spain or Italy. In England he'll probably score 15 goals a season. If i were Liverpool, i would try and buy Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but then again......... i rather have him at Ajax.

The only links which seems very likely are the cisse and boumsong ones.the rest of them are hardly believable.would love for rivaldo to join us but houllier would have got him much earlier if there were any truths to the link.kezman has repeatedly said that he wants to join barca or manure.i hope he does the right thing and go to barca....

PS:joost,isnt zlatan very likely to link up with capello's roma next season?do you even rate him?from what ive heard/read,zlatan isnt well liked by the ajax fans is he?

This week sees us play our 2nd leg Who-Heffa Cup game against Steaua. Finnan is out after picking up an injury over the weekend, thankfully our wonder goalscorer Traore is fit ;)

CWright said:
This week sees us play our 2nd leg Who-Heffa Cup game against Steaua. Finnan is out after picking up an injury over the weekend, thankfully our wonder goalscorer Traore is fit ;)

we'll go thru on a goaless draw...

Houllier fights back!

In response to incessant criticism from legions of Liverpool fans, manager Gerard Houllier has responded by mapping out his achievements to the 70 million despondent fans around the world.

“Until I arrived, Liverpool was going nowhere,” he said. “There was 25% unemployment, and the shipyards were closing down. Now the city is thriving. My influence has helped it become named the European City of Culture in exactly the same year we will be ready to challenge for the title, and the old docks are now the thriving Albert Docks… named incidentally after Prince Albert of France. Even chips are sometimes called french fries here now, yet McDonalds have never called to thank me for that.”

He continued. “Liverpool were a 3rd place mid-table team with unacceptable players such as Steve McManaman, Jamie Redknapp and Robbie Fowler. McManaman left, and what exactly did he do without my influence? And does anyone know what Nicolas Anelka is doing now?”

An inspired Houllier added, “the rickety old stadium known as Anfield was in danger of falling apart, but I saved it from certain oblivion. I recently got it a new clock so people without watches know what time it is during the game. I always like to show how much I care for the fans, and that is just another example. The same goes for Melwood, where I have improved not only the flush of the toilets, but the quality of grass is far superior and much greener than under Roy Evans. Instant coffee has been replaced by a state of the art Ronco 12-cup coffee maker. That’s one cup each for everyone in the first team, including the sub. I don’t even get one, because it’s all about the players, not me.”

Houllier wasn’t finished there. “Recently, I’ve done even better. Average players such as Jari Litmanen, Nicolas Anelka and Marcus Babbel have been off-loaded, and replaced with players of the class of Emile Heskey, Bruno Cheyrou, Salif Diao and Igor Biscan. Bruno is well known in my house as the new Zidane. Heskey is repaying my faith in him by continuing to work hard and selfishly for the good of the team. Sometimes, he tries so hard he can barely stay on his feet. That’s commitment for you! People criticise his goalscoring record, but that is narrow minded. There is much more to football than simply scoring more goals than the opposition. Some people just don’t understand that. Especially the fans who don’t go to Anfield every week.”

When asked about the 100 million pounds he’s spent, Houllier was again modest and yet defiant. “100 million quid is peanuts these days. It buys you only 9 Emile Heskeys, but as you well know, you need 11 players on the pitch, and there lies the problem. 100 million pounds leaves you 2 players short on the pitch, never mind trying to build a squad! I think I’ve done remarkably well with such a tight budget. Chelsea have several billion dollars, so what chance do we have? How many Heskey’s would that buy I ask you?”

When asked about Liverpool’s 50-year worst run of results during last season, Houllier was dismissive. “Records are made to be broken. Anyone who knows football knows that.”

Asked about the current lowly position in the league, and lying 15 points behind the leaders, Houllier laughed off any suggestion that it was a problem.
“Titles aren’t won in November,” he said. “They’re won in May, and it isn’t anywhere near May yet, so you’re talking merdre! As titles aren’t won until May, we are planning on being really, really good by April 30th and making a real assault on the title then. There’s absolutely no point in wasting all that energy in games when it’s still only November! Alex Ferguson would agree with me. We have everything to play for. I know, because he called and told me I was on the right track. So did Arsene, and he’s my mate.”

Quizzed about the Liverpool academy, and how few players seem to be emerging from it in favour of foreign imports, Houllier was quick to answer. “I love watching kids games,” he said. “It’s great to see their little Liverpudlian faces light up when they score. They all look like miniature Steven Gerrards and I like that, because I discovered him when he was 17, only a year before I arrived at the club. I wouldn’t want to have to go all the way to France every time I wanted to watch some little tots playing anyway. How productive would that be? I can’t let these local Liverpool lads simply walk into the first team because they like playing with other kids with the same accent as them, and now we’ve lost Davie Thompson, Robbie, Steve Mcmanaman and Steven Wright, it makes it difficult for them. I would hate to break them up. They’re a family, and we are a family club. That’s why it’s easier to bring in French and Czech youngsters. They adapt much quicker.”

Houllier had some other words of wisdom and comfort for Liverpool fans.

“Listen,” he said. “The fans adore me, and know what I have done for this club. I even have 2 really good goalkeepers to stop the opposition scoring. How many other managers can say that? Unfortunately, I can only play one at a time. Those are the rules, and there’s nothing I can do about that. I have also been responsible for never allowing Liverpool to finish lower than 5th place. That means there are 87 teams worse than us, and you call it a crisis? A crisis is when you’re bottom of the Third division, and I assure you that I will never allow that to happen.

Houllier then had to cut the interview short to go and watch a 14 year old play in the French 3rd division. “He is a gem,” he said. “He’s the right age to fit in perfectly with my 10-year plan.”

Back
Top Bottom