Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Yeah we look like arsenal when it comes to set pieces. Absolutly terrible, and when we did get a cross in there was noone there to attack it anyway.

Although saying that, it was against Bolton and who have we got to be dangerous? Torres is ok, Hyppia usually gets on the the end of a few but other then that? Babel isnt strong enough, Gerrard is taking the kicks and Kuyt doesnt do much in the air either, or anywhere else for that matter.

Skrtel is looking really good. Fast, strong, agressive and composed. Hopefully Arby is ready for next week as Carra just isnt suited to RB. The amount of times he got the ball, stood still and passed it back was too much. He probably gets in one decent cross a game in that position, most of the attacks, movement just came to a halt when he got the ball.

I wasn't far off my prediction either, I said 2-1 so it was close enough

Same here, I said Bolton would get a goal from a set-piece in the 2nd half :D

Oh that. Yeh, should have been a goal, but Babel got nervous as he was playing up front alone. It's amazing that even when we win, people just have to find negatives. EVERY TIME!

It's not only in here, commentators do the same. If Liverpool control and dominate a match its down to the other team surrendering possesion or having an off day. Besides to 1st 10min and some set pieces Liverpool were in control yesterday and in the 2nd half they could have put quite a few past Bolton who had given up. Instead, as usual, they got sloppy and too comfortable and didnt put the extra effort in to improve the goal difference some more. Could be telling as Everton are looking strong and arent that far behind on goal difference.

So what do you guys think about the upcoming prem fixtures?

I'm quite confident, no because of our improving form but because I think both WH and Newcastle will actually try to play football instead of parking the bus. And with that I think Liverpool will be able to beat both teams, Newcastle especially, comfortably. We've got to knock atleast 5 past Newcastle!

We are picking some form. Playing decent football. Babel seems to be taking some responsibility. I really want Yossi to be tried in this formation, which will really suit him. Would love to see this against West Ham

Reina

Arbeloa
Carra
Skrtel
Aurelio

Alonso
Mash

Yossi
Gerrard
Babel
Torres

Last edited:

I'm confident about the games up to (and including) Inter. But I do think we have a harder run-in than Everton have got so it's not going to be anywhere near easy. Gonna be a tense ride, every game now :(

If Rafa continues with this side and system, as he said, I think we might make it. Win our game in hand, and we're back to 4th. Then it's who wins the derby that might decide who goes onto end the season in 4th. We're at home, so we will have an advantage.

Btw, how classy was Xabi yesterday? Nothing flashing, but did what Xabi does best. Orchestrated our play beautifully. Some really nice passes. Still not close to his best, but this midfield could really, really work well. And I just love watching Xabi play. His technique is superb, and the way he control or hits the ball is just BEAUTIFUL. Rare to see players like that in the EPL.

I thought Masch was great again yesterday. At one point he lost possesion and a bolton player was running down the wing, he caught up with him, got infront of him and in one move both won the ball and spinned the player to the ground. And then continued to start another attack :D

Chivu is out as well it seems for the 2nd leg. Leaves only Burdisso. Who else is there?

Torres could have them for breakfast.

Gerrard will leave at the end of the season I reckon. He'll probably take a few others with him too.

And what makes you think that? He was about to leave TWICE, but couldn't. He'll stay.

Everton have defended Tim Cahill after his controversial goal celebration in their 3-1 win over Portsmouth.

Cahill, 28, scored the Toffees' second goal and dedicated it to his brother Sean, who was jailed for six years in January for partially blinding a man.

Showing your wrists as if being handcuffed is supposed to be showing support? Doesn't seem very supportive to me. Why not have a t-shirt with something supportive wrote on?

ok mr dags here you go!

tim2copycopycopy.png

Steven Gerrard on staying at Liverpool in the Independent today:

I have decided to stay here until the end of my career. It doesn't matter if I play crap and we probably won't win the title in my lifetime but it's great because the fans stil love me, I AM Liverpool Football Club. If I go to Madrid or Milan it wouldn't be the same, for arguments sake lets say I play for them like I do for England - my career would be doomed. At Liverpool it's safe, I get paid shit loads of money regardless of how well I play and because our squad is full of average players it makes me look good every week. People talk negatively about the gaffer and maybe they're right, Phil Thompson would be a better option but Rafa does make a cracking paella. We can always pray for another lucky European Cup win though, that would be boss!

Sorry lads, couldn't resist - my mate e-mailed it to me today. :)

phil_thompson_big.jpg

Last edited:

Liverpool's American owners have been accused of living in "dreamland" by the government-run Dubai investment fund interested in buying the Anfield club.

Dubai Investment Capital confirmed on Tuesday it had been in talks with US duo Tom Hicks and George Gillett about purchasing a stake in the Reds.

DIC chief executive Sameer al-Ansari said: "It's no secret that we have been in discussions with the current owners.

"It's not easy because (they) are in dreamland about valuations."

Al-Ansari later clarified that one of the club's owners "had come out of dreamland", without giving further details.

Texan billionaire Hicks said last month he was not planning to sell a stake in Liverpool, denying media speculation he was in talks with DIC over a sale.

He also revealed that Gillett could not sell his stake in the Premier League club without his approval.

However, both Hicks and Gillett have become increasingly unpopular among Reds fans, drawing criticism for their treatment of manager Rafael Benitez and their financial management of the club.

That has given fresh hope to DIC, who were considering buying Liverpool before the Americans joined forces to complete their own takeover in February 2007.

Hicks said in January he had talked to DIC "once" about a 10-15% stake, but DIC said the valuation was too high.

DIC are thought to want a controlling stake at Anfield, meaning they would need to convince Hicks to relinquish part of his 50% of the club as well as buying out Gillett.

Another obstacle is the refinancing package announced on 25 January that has loaded £105m of debt on to the club.

Of that, £60m is earmarked to kick-start the new stadium development at Stanley Park plus £45m for future player transfers and to meet the club's working capital needs.

DIC, which manages about £6.5bn of assets, is owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.

Al-Ansari was the man behind the takeover bid a year ago and looked to have succeeded until then Liverpool owner David Moores suddenly opted to sell to the Americans.

"It took me two weeks to get over that," said al-Ansari, who is a Liverpool fan. "But it didn't dent my passion - I still go to every match when I'm here."

And now the bad news ...

--------------------------

Tom Hicks surges towards 100 per cent ownership of Liverpool

Tom Hicks has raised the capital to buy out his Liverpool co-owner George Gillett and take a 100 per cent stake in Anfield.

The Texan billionaire has quietly been negotiating with his American partner over the past week, and is edging closer to a deal that will make him the sole owner of the Premier League club.

The Mirror can reveal that while Arab investment company DIC has been trying to persuade Gillett to sell his 50 per cent stake to them in recent weeks, Hicks has been raising money in the background to block such a move.

Now he has backing from some powerful business associates in the United States, and is ready to test the resolve of Gillett by matching any offer DIC makes for the shares.
Advertisement

The investment arm of the Dubai government is expected to make a formal offer this week for half a stake in Anfield, but Hicks and Gillett have a deal allowing the other to block the sale of any shares in Liverpool to a third party.

Privately, Gillett has made known reservations about his partnership with Hicks.

But there are signs he may defer to Hicks - who is the more powerful of the two in American business circles - and sell his stake. That would leave Hicks in sole charge of the club.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...r-cent-ownership-of-liverpool-89520-20339797/

Hmmmmmmm.......And Hicks was always the partner who was in it for the money. Gillett was the one that came with the idea and had the enthousiasm for the club.

Nice to see this all starting up again after a quiet period and Liverpool improving on the pitch!

Back
Top Bottom