Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Aye Skrtel, Masch and Babel were brilliant. Kuyt much better. And the fans were LOUD.

Pompey could do us a favour but I fully expect it to be Liverpool fighting Everton until the last day of the season.

Me too Peter. I expect it all to go to the wire, the title, fourth place and relegation. Should be a great day :D

Wow, some decent football for a change! First half we were a bit dodgy, but 2nd half we were really good. Some nice moves on the attack, and Carra is on the verge of being the next Cafu!

Babel was my MOTM. He was really good. He you can see the talent, he has enormous potential, but still very raw. He could have got a hat trick today. He missed 2 simple chances, but finishing on his goal was class. He's raw, but I think he has already developed so far this season. Will be great IMO under Rafa.

Alonso-Mash-Gerrard partnership I liked. First time they played, and they were good. Torres was quite, but you can't expect him to be boss every game. He did pull of some nice passes though. Gerrard was decent. Nice to see us win without a Torres-Gerrard goal.

And FABIO! What a sweet finish. At least a glimpse of what he did at Valencia.

I am happy. Let's hope Portsmouth do us a favor.

I think that formation really suits us. Its obvious we have massive talent in Centre Midfield, we should utilise it. Keep this formation until the end of the season and it could well pay dividends. Babel really showed his potential today, he's still a rough diamond though.

Don't get me wrong, Kuyt played ok today, But If Rafa wants to stick with this formation, we need someone else on the right of the 'arrow' that can take people on and also get into the box.

Yossi is the man Peter!

I think this formation is the best for us. It's what Rafa used at Valencia, and he'll use the same here I think. Obviously, the style has to be different, but this suits us. This could be our best team, just get Arby on the right, and Yossi instead of Kuyt.

And nice to see Rafa sticking with the (almost) same team, and same system.

I love Yossi but I don't think he fits into that formation because he cuts in to much.

Ideally someone like Ribery would really suit it as he is someone who can be effective going on the outside or cutting in.

Yeah this formation is fine for midfield control and counter football. However, as we've seen in nearly every game with this formation, Torres ends up being isolated. And with most of the balls going towards him being "HOOOOOFS" it's wasting his talent and tiring him out. I would still go back to a 4-4-2 for the home matches with Crouch coming in and either Alonso/Kuyt making way and Pennent coming in. Today we wasted so many corners and crosses. There was just noone there. Most home matches see the opposition sitting back and leaving enough space in midfield for just the 2 cm (masch/gerrrard) anyway. If Torres is up on his own against 3/4 defenders/midfielders he's go no chance.

Last edited:

_44463372_babel2.jpg

Yeh, that was cool wasn't it. Never knew he had that talent!

Peter, I think Yossi is best option for this season. He's the best player to play in there.

@Tik, it was the same as last match against Boro, but Torres smashed in 3. I don't expect it to be list this anyways. I think Babel will start advancing more and more every game. We've always played better football playing this formation. 4-4-2 makes us to rigid, and we always ending up hoofing to Crouch.

Yeah but look at the goals scored and the actual chances created by liverpool in that match, there wasn't many and 2 of the goals were complete gifts. And boro actually tried to play as opposed to sitting back with 10men behind the ball as most teams seem to do. Its for those matches I think we need crouch and Torres together as the passing game just wont work as well with no space.

Aye Skrtel, Masch and Babel were brilliant. Kuyt much better. And the fans were LOUD.

Pompey could do us a favour but I fully expect it to be Liverpool fighting Everton until the last day of the season.

That merseyside derby gets closer and closer sunday march the 30th! this is our run -in!

Thu Mar 06 2008 Fiorentina UEFA (A) 19:45
Sun Mar 09 2008 Sunderland (A) 15:00
Wed Mar 12 2008 Fiorentina UEFA (H) 19:45
Sun Mar 16 2008 Fulham (A) 13:30
Sat Mar 22 2008 West Ham United (H) 17:15
Sun Mar 30 2008 Liverpool (A) 16:00
Sun Apr 06 2008 Derby County (H) 15:00
Sat Apr 12 2008 Birmingham City (A) 15:00
Sat Apr 19 2008 Chelsea (H) 15:00
Sat Apr 26 2008 Aston Villa (H) 15:00
Sat May 03 2008 Arsenal (A) 15:00
Sun May 11 2008 Newcastle United (H) 15:00

and yours

Wed Mar 05 2008 West Ham United (H) 20:00
Sat Mar 08 2008 Newcastle United (H) 15:00
Tue Mar 11 2008 Internazionale UCL (A) 19:45
Sat Mar 15 2008 Reading (H) 15:00
Sun Mar 23 2008 Manchester United (A) 13:30
Sun Mar 30 2008 Everton (H) 16:00
Sat Apr 05 2008 Arsenal (A) 15:00
Sat Apr 12 2008 Blackburn Rovers (H) 15:00
Sat Apr 19 2008 Fulham (A) 15:00
Sat Apr 26 2008 Birmingham City (A) 15:00
Sat May 03 2008 Manchester City (H) 15:00
Sun May 11 2008 Tottenham Hotspur (A) 15:00

UNITED , EVERTON THEN ARSENAL IS REALLY TOUGH FOR YOU GUYS..

cant see either club dropping many points now, in the end its all about

derbydaycopycopy.jpg

IN MOYES WE TRUST

Last edited:

Ugh what a tough week it will be :(

Can't wait for Everton though, Babel is on the ascendancy so I hope he starts against you lots heheh.

Ugh what a tough week it will be :(

Can't wait for Everton though, Babel is on the ascendancy so I hope he starts against you lots heheh.

lol we aint worried about the one foot wonder , did you see motd last night taking the piss out of him, he never touches the ball with his left foot , teams will suss him out big time , he cuts into the right every single time to shoot as he has no left foot, oh and that shot he had at the end when your cronies were four on two , priceless!!! lmfao

Last edited:

I was worried about Babel for the 2nd half. Knowing he's a polite lad and not the most confident you could see Bolton players delibaretly having a go at him. At one point two of them were pushing him about on the sly trying to get at him. Good to see it didnt work and he was probably more determind to punish them for it. :D

Yeah I saw that Blue4Life. Babel really doesn't have a left foot. He is wasted on the wings, I'd like to see him up-front with Torres. Why the fuck Sloth (Kuyt) still gets to start matches is beyond me. :shock:

timzaccheo.jpg

Liverpool just CAN'T DO quick, smooth & exciting attacking like Arsenal & United under Rafa. It all looks very slow and predictable. That four on two chance should of been put away but yet again the L'pool forwards just dilly-dallied and fucked it up.

Last edited:

lol we aint worried about the one foot wonder , did you see motd last night taking the piss out of him, he never touches the ball with his left foot , teams will suss him out big time , he cuts into the right every single time to shoot as he has no left foot, oh and that shot he had at the end when your cronies were four on two , priceless!!! lmfao :lmao:

So there are alot of talented players who are only 'one foot', he'll
develop to use he's weaker foot later on. Just look at Joe cole.

As for the 4-no-2 chance shit happens, how many times have we seen
Arsenal try to walk it in the goal? Or what about the chances that
Tevez missed against Bolton earlier this season.?

8 Goals so far is a great return.

It is important to win our next two games.

Last edited:

The second half against Bolton, you could tell the Bolton players were told to put Babel on his left foot, yet he still managed to skin players even though he was being forced onto trying to make him use his left.

Babel will develop his left foot. It takes time. I am pretty sure that's one of the main things Rafa told him to concentrate on.

But Babel is talented, there's no doubt about it. He's got a bit of a confidence issue, and he sometimes gets nervous. But he's FAST, must be close to Gonzalez. He's got a really good shot on him, and he's pretty strong with good technique. He's only 20, and first season, and has done well enough. It's going to take time as he himself said. Babel's one for the future. And watch for him in the Euros.

Btw, which 4 on 2 chance are people talking about? Can't remember :(

Also well done to Skrtel, he's fit right in.

But GOD, how awful are we on set pieces. Gerrard can't get the ball past the near post!

The 4 on 2 was in the last couple of minutes, Babel did an air shot and fluffed up. He just lost his concentration and if the chance came earlier on when he was a bit more fresher, he'd have put it away I reckon.

Oh that. Yeh, should have been a goal, but Babel got nervous as he was playing up front alone. It's amazing that even when we win, people just have to find negatives. EVERY TIME!

Yep, I've gotten used to it since I started visiting this thread ;)

I wasn't far off my prediction either, I said 2-1 so it was close enough :)

Oh that. Yeh, should have been a goal, but Babel got nervous as he was playing up front alone. It's amazing that even when we win, people just have to find negatives. EVERY TIME!

Sorry mate - if L'pool's football blew me away I would say so. We were average against Fulham at the weekend too.

I dunno, I thought our second half performance alone was pretty good, especially when you consider we were playing Bolton away. Inter and Bolton are good signs if we can keep to this style.

Abhishek, was it you who posted the link saying Rafa told his players he'll be playing his best squad from now on? It seems that may be true, since that was mentioned we've pretty much played our best team. The midfield we had yesterday was excellent :D

Yep, I've gotten used to it since I started visiting this thread ;)

I wasn't far off my prediction either, I said 2-1 so it was close enough :)

negatives lol yeh me too :CONF:

This is one AWFUL match! It's like watching a conference game with all the long balls being sprayed about by both teams! The ground is SILENT apart from the Pompey fans singing and the Everton fans applauding simple passes (why? pass a ball into space and the crowd think it's some kind of Zidane trick?). The last time Everton were on Sky, the crowd were silent too ...

Back
Top Bottom