Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Did any of u pick up the bench list @ Chelsea? There's a Spanish youngster called Mikel San Jose. Wonder anybody here know anything about him, cause he's new to me :)

Yeh,I saw that as well. Apparently, Sami was injured, so he had to go with him, and he would have even come on when Skrtel got injured.

Never seen him, but Wikipedia tells me he came from Bilbao's excellent youth system. Next Carlos Puyol, and Real, Inter, Milan, and Manure were all after him.

Let's see if he gets a chance in the future, or maybe against Bardsley.

I've seen his name when we signed him, but we sign so many youngsters that you tend to forget about them until they appear in the squad. He's supposed to be a very good defender, but then we heard that about Paletta and we know how he turned out ...

Paletta is apparently doing really well with Boca. I think we moved him in too early, and didn't give enough time. Should have handled him the same way we did with Agger.

Read about Xabi Alonso today.I really rate him as one of europe's best but with Gerrard and Mascherano in the middle now,how would you lot incorporate him back into the team.He is a certain starter for me,if not at Pool...surely somewhere else.

As you say Xabi Alonso is rated very highly and should be a certain starter, if it was up to me the midfield would always be.

Gerrard-----Alonso-----Mascherano-----Babel

It seems the problem is Stevie Me doesn't want to play out on the right and huffs and puffs when he's told to, I hope Rafa puts him back out there because for the benefit of the team thats were he should start most games. If he doesn't we'll lose one of the best passers of the ball in Europe and we'll be kicking ourselves for letting him go.

Yup, I too rate Xabi very, very highly, and think that he is certainly much more talented than Gerrard. He IMO is one of the best passers in the world along with Riquelme, Xavi, Pirlo etc, and I think that he certainly has all the potential to be better than Pirlo in the few years. I think there are 2 problems with Xabi here

1. Obviously, Rafa prefers Gerrard and Mash in the centre. Our best years were Gerrard on the right and Xabi and Sissokko in the centre, but can't see that happening now. So, unless we switch to a 4-3-3, I can't see where Xabi can become a regular starter.

2. Second is, I don't think Xabi is best suited to us. Our offensive play is so static, without any cohesion and off the ball movement, that Xabi's potential cannot be fully realised. To get Xabi's best, he needs people moving around him, so that he can then pass the ball in front of them, rather than on their feet.

I love Xabi, if Gerrard moves to the right, and we get a left winger and striker next season, then I feel we are sorted. But that ain't happening I think. I certainly do feel that Xabi might move on, as a talent like his, which are so rare, is getting wasted at Liverpool I think. He would absolutely flourish in a team which played actual football like Barca or Arsenal, and have no doubt he would be acknowledged as one of the best in the world. IMO, he should be the first name on the team sheet for us, but that's not happening. A talent like his should not be wasted, for the sake of football. I can see him moving to a Real Madrid or a Barcelona. But I would only start thinking about a deal at 17-18 million, and he is anyways, worth so much more. He is going to reach his peak in a year or so, and he can't be wasted.

Well said Abi, rumours going around that there might be a possibility of a swap deal for Henry plus cash? I personally wouldn't take it, Alonso has to stay here and that left-winger and playmaker/second striker role have to be the number one priorities for the summer.
Diego and Quaresma would do just fine, both played with each other before and are the type of players Alonso would thrive on maybe a left-back as well, I'd go for Juan Vargas of Catania obvious problem though is wheres the money going to come from for such quality...

Last edited:

Abhi, xabi alonso is a fantastic passer, sure one of the best in premier (if not the best) and probably one of the best in europe.

the comparison with xavi is really good, but he's pretty different from pirlo and riquelme.

and i don't think he will ever become like pirlo. they're different kinds of playmakers.

xabi alonso gives order to the game. he's a "structure playmaker".

pirlo instead designs the game. he's a "creative playmaker".
moreover pirlo can play in both roles, xavi's one (wich is xabi alonso's same role), and riquelme's one.

trying a comparison i'd say xabi alonso is like an architect, while pirlo is like a painter, an artist.
architects too are artists, but they can't "see the game" the same way painters do.;)

@MO DINERO: are there any rumours about vargas joining liverpool? :)

I don't think there is a direct link mate, just a preference for myself he's a very good defender and can contribute to an attack very well, I think Roma might be interested in him?

I would put Gerrard on the right and use Mo's formation in the post above.

But Im still not sure of Xabi. To me he's a Carrick, but with better passing. He's not fast, doesnt score, isnt especially good at defending and the last couple of seasons his long ball passing hasnt been very good either. I think Lucas is more dynamic as a player and gives more to liverpool as a team with his movement and clever passing (ala fabregas, more towards Pirlo's style when using lo zio's comparison), but is still a bit behind on the developement being younger. If Xabi is only a year from his peak, he isnt going to get much better. And with Gerrard unlikely to move out wide there isnt going to be enough games for xabi to get his rhythm being swapped about with lucas and masch.

If those rumours are correct about swapping him with henry and money I think its worth it. Or something similar with a different player, Villa maybe. Im not sure whether 4 CM's are needed across a season and it gives a youngster the opportunity to be the 4th choice when the others get injured. Gerrard won't be moving to the wing any time soon, and we have players that can play there, babel, pennent, new signings. So the central two will be between Lucas, Gerrard and Masch. Atleast that means less rotation. And the move gives the possibility to have a great 2nd striker in the team aswell.

I just think Xabi needs to be playing most games to get the best from him, like his 1st season, but that with gerrard and masch being as good as they are he ends up in limbo not being as good as them in either defense or attack. I would rather keep him if he would get used the irght way, but I cant see that happening so would rather then use the money.

Abhi, xabi alonso is a fantastic passer, sure one of the best in premier (if not the best) and probably one of the best in europe.

the comparison with xavi is really good, but he's pretty different from pirlo and riquelme.

and i don't think he will ever become like pirlo. they're different kinds of playmakers.

xabi alonso gives order to the game. he's a "structure playmaker".

pirlo instead designs the game. he's a "creative playmaker".
moreover pirlo can play in both roles, xavi's one (wich is xabi alonso's same role), and riquelme's one.

trying a comparison i'd say xabi alonso is like an architect, while pirlo is like a painter, an artist.
architects too are artists, but they can't "see the game" the same way painters do.;)

@MO DINERO: are there any rumours about vargas joining liverpool? :)

Yes, I understand what you mean. I think Xabi and Xavi are very similar in terms of style. When I meant comparison with Riquelme and Pirlo, I mean vision, and passing ability. Obviously, they are different players, but I feel like Pirlo, Xabi is a deeper lying playmaker, a sort of director. Obviously, Pirlo plays in a different system altogether, so their style are different, but their roleis similar.

Btw, yes there were rumours of Vargas joining us last summer, and Rafa was very interested in him along with some other Serie A players. There wasn't any official approach, but I feel, with the need of a left back this summer, Rafa will definitely try Vargas.

I have only seen Vargas a couple of times, and do like the look of him. He does like to overlap and has a pretty powerful shot, but I would like to know a bit more from you, as we are in desperate need of a left back. What do you think of our chances against Inter? I would like to have some hope! :lol:

@tik, yes I agree, but I think it's because Xabi doesn't fit in the EPL. I would be sad to see him go, but NOT disappointed. Because I feel we have a very dynamic, mobile, and intelligent CM in Lucas, who will also develop his vision/passing, and eventually go onto become better than Lucas. I mean, the first time I saw him against Everton, he completely transformed our play, and I can see exactly why Rafa too Stevie G off. Lucas was such a calming presence, and had it not been for that cunt Neville, he would have go off to a fairy tale start.

I predict that in a couple of years, Lucas will go onto become one of the betters CMs in the world, and we'll be laughing at the fee we paid for him :)

Last edited:

Do you know another player that would be great and wouldn't cost as much as Quaresma for the left-side, Diego Capel! I've been impressed everytime I've seen him play.

Knowing Sevilla's contract clauses, Capel would cost a bomb like most other young players in La Liga.

I would have Mancini. He's not exactly young, but is world class quality, and should be around 15 million.

Last edited:

No more than £10m to £15m surely, although come to think of it how much did Ramos and Baptista cost Madrid?

i see your point, abhi. xabi alonso has nothing to envy to pirlo, talking about passing ability. but talking about vision, pirlo, zidane, rivera, juninho, totti (when he used to play as midfielder).. theese guys can see (better saying "foresee") some passing trajectories that "humans" (no matter how good they are) like xabi alonso just can't
moreover pirlo can score tons of goals.

talking about vargas (thanks for the info MO dinero and abhi; yes there were some rumours about roma and milan being interested in him, but i didn't know about liverpool, so that's why i asked ;)) he's a very good left back. he tends to push a lot along the sideline, has a good pass and a very good shot. he's also quite careful in defense.
he's not really a world class player, but he's good... and btw it is really hard to find good left footed players theese days (wich makes him pretty a valuable asset).

talking about the match against inter, i honestly think u guys have some chances. inter has been a machine so far this season. fantastic defense, fantastic midfield, fantastic attack, but they look a bit tired lately. they're keep winning thanks to their phisical supremacy (tallest team in europe), but they look to me a bit too confident. they just sit down,waiting for the opponent to do a mistake, and then they take advantage of it. Liverpool is having some problems lately, and sure the reds don't play "champagne football", but still they don't do many mistakes in defense. so if rafa will study inter's gameplan and prepare an appropriate strategy to contain maicon, cambiasso and ibra...;)

they have also many injury problems; figo and vieira are just starting to play again, samuel is out, stankovic is not yet able to play for 90 minutes on the same level (after being out for so long), and also cruz and ibra didn't look in their best shape in the last few weeks.

sure inter has more chances to go through, but it won't be an easy game for mancini.
afterall that's champions league. it's a single match, everything can happen. i'd say 60% inter wins and 40% liverpool wins:)

EDIT:
forget about ramos guys. calderon is pretty stupid, but not that stupid. he would never let sergio leaving.
a couple of weeks ago, when milan asked him abour sergio ramos, calderon replied he wouldn't let him go, not even for a ramos-kakà exchange...
... and honestly i pretty much agree with him, as ramos has a huge impact on the game....even bigger than kaka's and cristiano ronaldo's one.

Last edited:

Your a good lad lo zio thanks for your opinions, Inter are definitely favourites this was the same with Barca, Juventus, Chelsea etc. and we beat them so being the underdogs is perfectly fine with me.

i see your point, abhi. xabi alonso has nothing to envy to pirlo, talking about passing ability. but talking about vision, pirlo, zidane, rivera, juninho, totti (when he used to play as midfielder).. theese guys can see (better saying "foresee") some passing trajectories that "humans" (no matter how good they are) like xabi alonso just can't
moreover pirlo can score tons of goals.

talking about vargas (thanks for the info MO dinero and abhi; yes there were some rumours about roma and milan being interested in him, but i didn't know about liverpool, so that's why i asked ;)) he's a very good left back. he tends to push a lot along the sideline, has a good pass and a very good shot. he's also quite careful in defense.
he's not really a world class player, but he's good... and btw it is really hard to find good left footed players theese days (wich makes him pretty a valuable asset).

talking about the match against inter, i honestly think u guys have some chances. inter has been a machine so far this season. fantastic defense, fantastic midfield, fantastic attack, but they look a bit tired lately. they're keep winning thanks to their phisical supremacy (tallest team in europe), but they look to me a bit too confident. they just sit down,waiting for the opponent to do a mistake, and then they take advantage of it. Liverpool is having some problems lately, and sure the reds don't play "champagne football", but still they don't do many mistakes in defense. so if rafa will study inter's gameplan and prepare an appropriate strategy to contain maicon, cambiasso and ibra...;)

they have also many injury problems; figo and vieira are just starting to play again, samuel is out, stankovic is not yet able to play for 90 minutes on the same level (after being out for so long), and also cruz and ibra didn't look in their best shape in the last few weeks.

sure inter has more chances to go through, but it won't be an easy game for mancini.
afterall that's champions league. it's a single match, everything can happen. i'd say 60% inter wins and 40% liverpool wins:)

EDIT:
forget about ramos guys. calderon is pretty stupid, but not that stupid. he would never let sergio leaving.
a couple of weeks ago, when milan asked him abour sergio ramos, calderon replied he wouldn't let him go, not even for a ramos-kakà exchange...
... and honestly i pretty much agree with him, as ramos has a huge impact on the game....even bigger than kaka's and cristiano ronaldo's one.

Agree with everything you said. Watch out for Lucas though ;)

At least we have SOME chance :mrgreen:\\:o/

We have been underdogs Juve, Inter, Chelsea etc and we have beaten them, so I am confident we can do it, IF we show up. Anyways, despite all the Rafa-hating in the media, he is very, very clever, especially in Europe. I think Mash is more than able to handle the Inter attack, and Inter arn't a very quick team are they? So, Carra and Hyypia would be good enough. Let's hope Torres and Gerrard are up for it. Gotta to be another Anfield night, but it's very much possible.

I would go for this

Reina

Arbeloa
Carra
Hyypia
Riise

Pennant
Mash
Gerrard
Xabi
Kewell

Torres

Btw, we weren't talking about buying Ramos. I was just telling Mo that Sevilla sold Ramos to Real at a very high price, so Diego Capel was likely to be pretty expensive as well.

Anyways, Id rather have Alves :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Your a good lad lo zio thanks for your opinions, Inter are definitely favourites this was the same with Barca, Juventus, Chelsea etc. and we beat them so being the underdogs is perfectly fine with me.

thanks mate. yep being the underdogs is always a "confortable" position, talking about pressure ;)

abhishek said:
At least we have SOME chance

more than just "some", abhi. i would never bet against liverpool when it's about champions league.

and i would NEVER bet against rafa :)

abhishek said:
Btw, we weren't talking about buying Ramos
yep, i just noticed it, sorry :p
anyway alves is a world class player..... but ramos is a LEGENDARY player. in 10 years he will be mentioned togheter with maldini as the greatest sideback of all times ;)

abhishek said:
Inter arn't a very quick team are they? So, Carra and Hyypia would be good enough.
they're everything but quick, mate. but if ibra will play on his usual standard, there's just no chance for hyppia and carragher to contain him.
but, like i said, ibra didn't play at his usual standards in the last 3 weeks, so.;)

Last edited:

they're everything but quick, mate. but if ibra will play on his usual standard, there's just no chance for hyppia and carragher to contain him.
but, like i said, ibra didn't play at his usual standards in the last 3 weeks, so.;)

So, it mean 3-0 to Liverpool :mrgreen:

Let's hope Ibra doesn't play to his usual standard, but might I tell, in Mascherano we have an absolutely monster, who, on his day, will destroy everything in his path :lol:

Any of you read the book "Season On The Brink" by Guillem Balague? I just started reading it yesterday and it's a brilliant book with a lot of insight into Benitez and how he thinks and works. It's basically a book about the CL win and what Benitez's thoughts were before, during and after the game. Loads of interviews and quotes from Benitez and the players about their thoughts at different times, a great read :D

Alonso has nothing to prove and if some of you scouse still dont rate him,it is dumbfounding.It is just unfortunate that your current cannot accomodate Alonso.A 4-4-1-1 formation with Gerrard playing just behind Torres,Mascherano and Alonso could work but thats just me.

Alonso has nothing to prove and if some of you scouse still dont rate him,it is dumbfounding.It is just unfortunate that your current cannot accomodate Alonso.A 4-4-1-1 formation with Gerrard playing just behind Torres,Mascherano and Alonso could work but thats just me.

Care to point out which "Scouse" doesn't rate him? I'd say everyones in agreement that he should be in the first eleven alongside Masch and Gerrard behind Torres wouldn't work because Gerrard isn't disciplined enough nor does he have the technical ability to play that role, a free role on the right is where Gerrard should be.

Back
Top Bottom