Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Edit: Morgan ... Steve Morgan? Something like that ...

Does Morgan actually have enough money though? Although with his building connections maybe he could actually realise the stadium without it going 3x over budget!

@ Antred, good post. You are right about it, Liverpool may be behind in the league but that has been due to some poor draws at home. We still have the best away record in the league dont we? On dutch tele they were talking about how kuyt is lacking a lot of confidense this season. Having him run around and down the wing won't do a striker any good. They used the example in the first 5min against luton when he was though and curled it over (Sami being pissed off in the replay). Normally he would have burried that. Together with the arrival of Torres and his dad passing away it's not a surprise that he isnt performing this season. Also Crouch has already aired his dissapointments about the rotation and how it doesnt matter whether you play well or not. Its not a surprise that our defense is one of the best in the league when there is hardly any rotation in that part of the team. Maybe the fullbacks from time to time and for some games have sami instead of agger/carra. But otherwise they are always playing.

Defoe could be a good buy actually, he definitly seems to have the mentality to be able to go in and out of matches and still score when he plays.

Wum

"Wum" is the female discharge or female Cum. Womanly cum thus the everyday word WUM.

"Holy crap Bertha, you got wum all over me!"

Ah so thats what it means ;)

Come on Liverpool you have plenty of talent in the squad man..if SAF thinks he has strong squad i beg to differ Liverpool have the strongest squad..i really want to see liverpool do well,there have been too many new signing and the player have not been allowed to settle in and play as a team..i think that is the reason why Liverpool find themselves where they are now.When one had such quality in the squad you don not Tinker with it.put your best 11 on the pitch always (unless there is an injury) and sit back and enjoy the show..

Hope they can sort things out soon..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3030188,00.html

I wanted Defoe last season. Sell Voronin, Crouch and Kuyt to buy Defoe I reckon.

I like Defoe aswell, explosive player in and out
of the box. The problem is like Crouch the guy
needs to be playing reguarly or you won't see
the best off him or the goals.

As for Skertel comes across as a signing like
Agger which sounds better than paying £10m
for Garay.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3031030,00.html

Liverpool claim Jamie Carragher was spat at and had beer thrown over him by Luton Town supporters.

Horrible bastards, I felt sorry for them after they played so well and their administration worries. But if they're going to act like that, I hope we smash them everywhere in the replay. No need for people like that.

Jan 8 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today moved to quell speculation that he feels he is a "dead man walking" at Anfield.

In an unprecedented move, the Liverpool manager has lifted the lid on conversations he had with sections of the media which he believes lies behind the upsurge in speculation about his future at the weekend.

Benitez says he was forced into taking such an unusual step because he wants his thoughts to be made a matter of public record so the Liverpool fans can know exactly what he is thinking without fear of misinterpretation.

A clearly upset Benitez told the ECHO: "I was shocked when I was told about the stories in the Sunday papers and when I saw them for myself I was even more surprised.

"I don't know how many times I have to say I only see my future at Liverpool Football Club before certain people believe me.

"But I will say it again because it is really important that everyone understands this – I love the club, I love the fans, I love the city and I am very, very happy here.

"I do not see my future at Real Madrid or Inter Milan or anywhere else. I see my future at Liverpool and this is where I want to stay.

"So to see my name linked with other clubs in such a manner, as it was in certain Sunday newspapers, really disappoints me.

"And the fact that the newspapers said that the stories had come from a source close to me is what disappoints me most."

Benitez believes the stories which appeared in several Sunday newspapers stemmed from a private conversation he had with a group of journalists following the regular weekly press conference at Melwood ahead of the weekend's FA Cup tie at Luton.

But he remains adamant that the stories which appeared following Friday's briefing bear little relation to the conversation which took place.

"I was asked several questions about my future," he said.

"I answered honestly, saying that there had been misunderstandings in the past but they are now in the past and that I am now working very well with the club's owners and Rick Parry and we all have the same objective – to do our very best for Liverpool Football Club.

"Then, just a couple of days later, I see quotes that are supposed to have come from me or from a friend of mine saying I don't see my future at Liverpool.

"All I can say is no such quotes came from me and I know my friends well enough to know that they did not come from them.

"So I can only assume that the conversation I had with the journalists from the Sunday newspapers meant something different to them than it did to me. But they were not my words.

"That is why I am speaking to the ECHO, I want to clear up any confusion and put my side of the story."

As speculation about his future reaches fever pitch Benitez knows his position as Liverpool manager will continue to come under intense scrutiny if results do not pick up.

But he still believes the squad he has assembled will continue to improve – and he also believes it will happen under his stewardship.

"I want to completely commit myself to Liverpool Football Club," he said.

"I do not see my future anywhere else because I do not want to go anywhere else.

"I want to win trophies for my club, for our fans and for the people and I still believe we can do this.

"I think back to the Champions League Final in Istanbul, to the FA Cup Final in Cardiff, to the Super Cup Final in Monaco and so many other great occasions and I know just what this great club is capable of.

"The backing of the supporters has been fantastic. As I walked onto the pitch at Luton on Sunday the fans were singing my name and that means so much to me.

"That is why I want to achieve even more success and I believe we can do that.

"There has been so much improvement here over the last couple of seasons and I believe there is still a lot more to come.

"The squad is now the best it has been since I first came here and we have many young players who are only going to get better.

"So I have no wish to be at any other club. This is a truly special club which means so much to me.

"All I can say is that I want to be here this summer and many other summers after that."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...-to-quit-this-fantastic-club-100252-20323782/

Someone posted on RAWK that he's played something like 120 games, got 40-odd yellow cards and 1 red. Apparantly he's no-nonsense and gives out what he gets. A Slovakian registered there and said he's very similar to Carragher.

The media over here are a joke Gomito, apparantly worse than any other country. And also the main reason why Scolari wanted nowhere near the England job because the media harassed his wife just because he was rumoured to be interested.

Defoe and Torres up-front could become the most explosive partnership in the Premiership!

are we being linked with Defoe?

I think they are a little too similair to be honest, but I thought that about Rooney and Tevez, and they are doing well. They suit United's play well, but I still think you could do with a Ruud type CF. And I think Liverpool need one desperately to. Someone to score easy, scrappy goals, attacking crosses etc

Last edited:

are we being linked with Defoe?

I think they are a little too similair to be honest, but I thought that about Rooney and Tevez, and they are doing well. They suit United's play well, but I still think you could do with a Ruud type CF. And I think Liverpool need one desperately to. Someone to score easy, scrappy goals, attacking crosses etc

Surely Torres can score scrappy goals too?

Dunno Dags, of course he can, I'll point to the Wigan, Spurs and first Pompey goals for example, but he does seem to score some very individual goals, but his positioning doesn't seem to be in the class of someone like RVN or Crespo for example.

He has also missed some very easy chances, maybe I'm just setting too high a standard! Considering how well he's done in his first season its hard to beleive. I should remember he is still young and is not the finished product. He has miles still to go, like holding the ball up better, linkup play etc.

Last edited:

That's the thing, he's still very young and not widely experienced to the continental game having never experienced much European football with Atletico. Given how well he's doing already, his overall game will improve HUGELY now he's getting experience of not only another country's style of football, but European football too.

Maybe we need a RVN player in the meantime though. Not too many of those kind of players about really, and I'm not sure Rafa favours those kinda players. When you look at Crouch, Voronin and Kuyt, none of those are poachers. I think Rafa prefers players who can come deep and probably play deeper as opposed to on the shoulder like Owen.

REDS SET FOR GERMAN VISIT

There will be a distinctly German flavour to the Anfield atmosphere next week when supporters of Borussia Moenchengladbach make their annual pilgrimage to Merseyside.
The Reds will welcome up to 90 supporters of the Bundesliga Two side, who will arrive in Liverpool on Monday, January 21, to celebrate the 31-year friendship between the two teams.

The visit will see them pay their respects to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster at the Hillsborough memorial while some of the party will also attend Liverpool's clash with Martin O'Neill's Villains in the evening.

Every year since 1992, our German couterparts have made the journey to England during the Bundesliga winter break, after donating 21000 Deutsch Marks (approximately £8000) to the Hillsborough family's fund in 1991 - a tremendous gesture that should NEVER be forgotten.

In response, 30 Liverpool supporters made the trip to Moenchengladbach in May last year, a visit which was organised by Liverpool FC supporter Graham Agg to celebrate the 30th anniversary since the 1977 European cup final between the two club's in the eternal city of Rome.

The Liverpool supporters handed out friendship badges and a plaque with the Liverpool crest and the words 'EINE GANZ BESONDERE FREUNDSCHAFT' emblazoned across it. This translates to 'a very special friendship' in English.

The Friendship trip was also fully embraced by Liverpool FC who presented Graham Agg with a plaque signed personally by Reds manager Rafael Benitez with the words 'Best wishes to Borussia Moenchengladbach supporters club.'

The Liverpool fans were truly astounded to see Borussia supporters in their last home game of the Bundesliga 2006/2007 season wearing all types of old and new Liverpool FC shirts, a tradition that goes back many years in Gladbach.

Unfortunately, Borussia Moenchengladbach were relegated last season, but they currently lie top of the Second Bundesliga going into the German winter break, and the Liverpool supporters travelling over for Borussia's last home match in May 2008 for their next Friendship visit, are hoping it will coincide with a promotion party.

On this year's visit to Merseyside, the Moenchengladbach fans have been invited to a Fan Party in Liverpool City Centre to celebrate their special friendship. It is a friendship that has lasted the test of time, 31 years almost since the two clubs met in the 1977 European cup final, and the friendship shows no signs of abating.

It is something of which both clubs, and supporters, can be truly proud.

LIVERPOOL FC UND BORUSSIA MG - EINE GANZ BESONDERE FREUNDSCHAFT
LIVERPOOL FC AND BORUSSIA MG - A VERY SPECIAL FRIENDSHIP

Click below:-

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158308080107-1141.htm

I hope we don't lose both Sissoko and Masch, which is still a possibility at the time. Think they will sell Sissoko then use that money to buy Masch.

Good to read mo is off then. Lets hope it goes through. Part of me thinks its a shame as he had some really good games and looked to become a very powerfull player, he probably still will. Didnt viera move to arsenal at the age of 24? But with the midfield we have, and the obvious need for him to play regulary it just isnt working out. And at 10mil thats also a nice profit of 4,5mil.

I wonder what rafa's net transfer balance is as he has quite a few players come in and then sell them for a profit or even to what he bought them for. *Goes off to have a look*

Josemi £2m swap for kromkamp sold for 1,5mil : -0,5mil
Antonio Nunez £0m released for 0mil: 0,0mil
Xabi Alonso £10.7m
Luis Garcia £6m sold for 4mil: -2,0mil
Mauricio Pellegrino Free 0,0mil
Fernando Morientes £6.5m sold for 3mil: -3,5mil
Scott Carson £750,000 potentially 10mil
Antonio Baragan Compensation fee
Jose Reina £6m
Mohammed Sissoko £5.6m to be sold for 10mil: +4,4mil
Boudewijn Zenden Free : 0,0mil
Peter Crouch £7m
Jack Hobbs £750,000
Godwin Anti Free
Miquel Roque Free
Daniel Agger £5.8m
Craig Bellamy £6m sold for 7,5mil: +1,5mil
Gabriel Paletta £2m -2,0mil
Mark Gonzalez £4.5m sold for 3,5mil: -1,0mil
Fabio Aurelio Free
Jermaine Pennant £6.7m
Dirk Kuyt £9m
Alvaro Arbeloa £2.64m
Andriy Voronin Free
Lucas Leiva £6m
Sebastien Leto £1.5m
Fernando Torres £20m
Yossi Benayoun £5m
Ryan Babel £11m
Charles Itandje Free

With mo's sale he will actually break even on players he has invested in that havent worked out. Potentially with Carson going to villa for 10mil he will even be making a profit. And maybe even crouch going for 10mil would be another profit. Thats actually a very good record for the moment.

Last edited:

Good to read mo is off then. Lets hope it goes through. Part of me thinks its a shame as he had some really good games and looked to become a very powerfull player, he probably still will. Didnt viera move to arsenal at the age of 24? But with the midfield we have, and the obvious need for him to play regulary it just isnt working out. And at 10mil thats also a nice profit of 4,5mil.

I wonder what rafa's net transfer balance is as he has quite a few players come in and then sell them for a profit or even to what he bought them for. *Goes off to have a look*

With mo's sale he will actually break even on players he has invested in that havent worked out. Potentially with Carson going to villa for 10mil he will even be making a profit. And maybe even crouch going for 10mil would be another profit. Thats actually a very good record for the moment.

Just as it's my lil fav pet peeve that people talk as if Rafa is shrewd, presuming those numbes are correct, that means a total spend of £125m, with £40m recouped, or net spend of roughly £85m. I'm not sure that's quite breaking even, though obviously all teams need to spend to survive. Just saying.

but I still think you could do with a Ruud type CF. And I think Liverpool need one desperately to. Someone to score easy, scrappy goals, attacking crosses etc

Kuyt and Crouch should be doing that type of job.

We need someone like Defoe becuase bar Torres and
Babel not playing through the middle we lack pace
and dynamism.

Manure have it - Rooney Tevez
Arse ave it - Eduardo Adebaywhore Van Persie
even Chelsea - Drogba Kalou

Glad Sissoko is off, the time is right to cash in.

Can Sissoko do a job in MF guys?

Hopefully he can have a better career
at juve than Appiah did.

Last edited:

He can, he's shown quality for us in the past. As long as he plays an anchor man and not expected to help build up plays. Breaking plays up, he's fine. Setting up plays by passing or trying to take people on, rubbish.

Just as it's my lil fav pet peeve that people talk as if Rafa is shrewd, presuming those numbes are correct, that means a total spend of £125m, with £40m recouped, or net spend of roughly £85m. I'm not sure that's quite breaking even, though obviously all teams need to spend to survive. Just saying.

What a surprise...... I did add for the players that havent worked out and have been sold. Thats a valid statement as he quickly gets rid of them, and for the most part he is breaking even. And possibly making a profit if Carson goes which is expected.

There are still quite a few duds that arent up to the level (kuyt, pennant, crouch) but even they will likely recoup most of the outlay, with crouch making a profit.

And that 85mil has bought him a new spine for the team: reina, agger, alonso, torres. All of which are young players from 24 and younger I think.

Last edited:

those figures are for players that rafa has bought/sold, during his time he has also sold on these players who were already here

djbril cisse £6m
sinama-pongolle £2.7m
stephen warnock £1.5m
chris kirkland £3m
neil mellor £0.5m
djimi traore £2m
milan baros £6.5m
el hadji diouf £4m
alou diarra £2m
danny murphy £2.5m
michael owen £8m

emile heskey £6.25m (not sure if it was rafa or houllier who sold him?)

not sure if these figures are 100% correct but what i've been reading lately suggests rafa's net spending as around £60.4m but it is difficult to find out the exact figures involved

He's at Preston, came on as a sub against Cardiff. Still got some pounds on him but not as chubby as he was at Liverpool.

Back
Top Bottom