Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

if ever there was a time to win the premier league it is now , most of the big four arent as deadly as in the past man utd slipping up , arsenal outclassed for long periods at everton, chelsea alot weaker and your lot losing confidence, the everton`s and man citys are catchin us up , blackburn pompey and villa are almost there too, imo its good to see realy as the premier league was very predictable.

Not really. It was still a 'big shock' when Man Utd lost to 10th place West Ham. All of those teams you listed have been hammered by one or more of the big 4. It is still predictable and Sky wants to keep it that way.
Even you scousers think you're out of the title race, because you know that the other three will probably not lose three games each.

Even if they do lose three games each, we can't beat teams to take advantage of them dropping points.

Exactly. Seriously, I haven't felt this bad about Liverpool since a long time. The season seems pointless now. Sure, we have the UCL and FA Cup, but it's more of 'been there, done that'. I am already waiting for the next season :(

There will still be some twists and turns - Don't lose hope yet. This year the premiership is alot more competitive. I don't see why we or Man U couldn't lose 3 more games.

Don't lose hope yet. This year the premiership is alot more competitive.

The only thing we can hope for is 4th place.
The EPL is always competitive and we haven't
been competiting for the title for quite a bit
now.

The writing is on the wall for Rafa come end
of this season.

Alot of negative thinking lads .. just finished watching the darn-it replay.

But do you think Rafa will be sacked because he cannot win the premiership? Even if he does very well in the other competition? Yes, it might be the holy grail for those scousers, but we have an American owner which might think otherwise.

And somewhat I have to agree to a point about Rafa's tactics yesterday, Wigan's a physical team with Heskey and Bent etc. Because Arbeloa's not a natural CB, I think he meant to send in another defensive cover, just in case Arbe lose a header or two (which he did lost, and the cover was great until Titus scored what I thought was a natural strikers goal).

But again, he must have known that Wigan's coming to Anfield to get a draw, so the decision to not have 2 strikers have come back to haunt us again, like many times before in the past. He recently have reverted back to 4-4-2 with much better results.

Oh yeh, next season is ours (to lose) as always. And yes, I will be supporting Arsenal in the league now. Rather have you win than the Mancs or the rent boys.

Edit: Koolaje, I really think Rafa has finally lost the plot. His reaction yesterday clearly stated that he was under immense pressure, and I won't be surprised if the owners sack him.

I have said it before and I will say it again, you won't win the league with that muppet Benitez in charge.

I said this back in October and you all flamed me but its true, he hasn't got to grips with our game the way Wenger or Mourinho has. If you want to seriously win the league then he has to go...

Same old, same old really. At the beginning of the season Liverpool spend a fortune on players, their supporters get excited and ahead of themselves and red-tinted glasses wearing pundits like Phil Thompson reckon Liverpool will challenge for the title. No doubt next August will be the same - you lot will sign a few more overrated players and go on about it "being your year" and make the same mistakes again.

The bottom line is players like Kuyt, Voronin, Pennant, Riise and Kewell are NOT players who will win you the title. THREE players stick out for me at Liverpool and we all know who they are. Your manager is not good enough either. I would prefer Mourinho/Ferguson/Wenger anyday. It's a shame really because it would have been interesting to have four teams going head-to-head.

What are the rumours about the Mascherano transfer being a bit of a mess? I heard that was the real reason Rafa may be sacked. Then again, I'm on the other side of the world now and miss a lot.

I agree with you Plan M, for once, but we haven't spent a fortune.

the entirety of our net outlay went on Torres, who has been a success. The problem is I can only really see goals coming from El Nino, Gerrard (who has been way of the pace this season, most goals coming from pens) Benayoun, and Crouch, if he ever gets a game.

Kewell whilst still our most intelligent Left Winger just isn't as sharp as he used to be. Babel isn't a winger and should be given a run up front. Benayoun isn't a winger, Pennant has no end product. And finally Benitez really still doesn't have a clue how to utilise our wealth of talent in CM

Benitez's down fall will eventually be the purchase and continual selection of average players who consistently fail to deceive. Yes he's also made some top buys.

Benitez is a top bloke, we love him to bits, he's given us more than we could have wished for. Lets be honest, we were a second rate team beforehand. Now teams like Madrid, Milan, Inter and Barcelona fear us. But on the flip sides, teams like Brum and Wigan come to Anfield and have a feeling inside them that they can always nick something. For all our dominance we just aren't clinical enough, we do not have the killer instinct that you see in the Top 3. Three teams that have been there, done that, and have experience in crucial league games, who take advantage of slipups.

I'll still give him until the end of the season, and to be fair to him, we've had terrible problems with injuries to defenders, although he did practically put his house on a transfer that would never happen.

Surely more than anything else Liverpools lack of success this season shows just how tough it is in the premiership. And should also highlight just how good Fergie and Wenger really are, to remain at the top for so long. I'm not including Mourinho in that group, because I still believe the team that he had when the got 93 points (05/06 right?) would have dominated the prem with the mascot as a manager. Benitez is a good manager in big games. He tends to put out teams in the CL/FA Cup that are more than capable of winning, and they often do grind out results. They're not a flair team (that 8 goal performance was definitely a fluke), they're not a team that are going to attack you for an entire half even if they're winning. They play percentage football, and they're one of hte best teams in the world at doing it.

Rafa's problem is that people underestimate just how good his competition is. He's not bad at all, he's a top, top manager. But he's not the best, and as long as the best are still around, Liverpool won't win the league.

I also rate pool wiht a good shot at the CL, because like Milan last season (and this season!) they won't be competing for the league title, so can focus purely on the CL. And no team in the past few years has won both their domestic league and the CL. Perhaps pool fans should just give up on the league and be happy with their relative dominance in Europe?

Regarding Mascherano. The situation is that the owners don't want to purchase him until the Summer. Which is completley insane considerng Mascherano has already said he wants his future tied up now.

I can't see how Rafa would be sacked for that unless he starts ranting at the owners again, because they can't see how much of an asset he is.

Again he was the most passionate player on the pitch last night, he is IMMENSE.

I will cry if he goes. Part of the reason being my European away kit has his name and number on the back!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3018898,00.html

Mascherano being watched by Juve.

Really, if we lose Mascherano after agreeing terms with the player and agents, then it's gotta be one of the stupidest transfer decisions ever. He is a world class player who I believe would walk into any squad in the world, and probably most first teams. And if the Americans pass him up due to their ignorance, it shows how thick they are and is a true statement of their intent.

First of all, we have not spent that big as it's made out to be. Our net spending is around 18-19 million, and even that was mostly financed by our success in Europe.

Anyways, I am personally sick and tired of getting excited at first, and then just getting down after December/January after a reality check. I wasn't sure of Liverpool's chances of winning much, but I was sure we could come 2nd, and be in the race till the end. I was actually confident of winning last season after we winning 9 points behind Chelsea, but we know what happened.

Rafa is not the man to bring us the Premier League. I respect the man, and what he did with our club in his first few seasons, I don't think any manager could do. We had an absolute shit squad, and got us the UCL, and then the FA Cup, while being 9 points behind Chelsea. But it's all gone down after that.

Teams like Barca and Real Madrid might fear us, but at the same time, teams like Reading, and Wigan are confident of taking something away from us, and that just tells the story. This has got to be one of our worst seasons, as far as I can remember.

Rafa has continuously been signing squad players. As Plan M mentioned, only Torres, Gerrard, Mash and Carragher, are real world class. 2 are defensive players, and the other 2 are the only ones who score for us. We go out there hoping that Torres, or Gerrard might score a goal. Yesterday was absolutely pathetic. We have no killer instinct, no winning mentality, and apart from Mash and Carra, I don't think any of our players are passionate enough. They'll take a yellow card, but they'll make sure the ref listens to what they say. Can't be said about any of our other players. They are too mild. And obviously, we lack quality, as Rafa has been spending millions on average players. Instead of spending around 18 million on Kuyt and Voronin, he could have bought one more quality striker, and that would have made the different. His tinkering has never worked in the Premier League, and I genuinely believe that it's time for him to go. Liverpool have no distinctive play, no specific style, it's just a random squad of players, passing the ball around.

I have not in my lifetime seen Liverpool win the league, and as a passionate supporter, I would just love that. But it's not going to happen soon I am afraid. This season, we have screwed up badly, and the only way I see to go forward is to either spend millions with Rafa around (not going to happen), or get a new manager, who starts from scratch (yes again from scratch). I just can't see what's left in this season for us. I really can't.

And isn't anyone noticing how we are conceding from set pieces so often? I see a set piece, and I know there's a good chance the other team will score. That has to be sorted.

Rant over.....

I also rate pool wiht a good shot at the CL, because like Milan last season (and this season!) they won't be competing for the league title, so can focus purely on the CL. And no team in the past few years has won both their domestic league and the CL. Perhaps pool fans should just give up on the league and be happy with their relative dominance in Europe?

Actually Barcelona, and FC Porto both won their domestic league and the UCL, and this is just in recent years.

Edit: If Mash goes, just get rid of the owners as well. And if Juve get him, then we can't get rid of Sissoko as well. Everything is so wrong in this club at the moment. The owners had come with the promise of transfer funds, and a new stadium, and neither is happening. Just get rid of them all....

Last edited:

Apparently Daniel Alves's agent has made contact with the club according to Koptalk. We've also made a formal enquiry for Wayne Bridge (who i rate) :D

Dani Alves! Now that's world class quality! I would be excited as hell if he comes here (not going to happen). The Premier League doesn't have a single right back that's comes even to close to his quality. If we had got him earlier when we were linked, we would have been in a much better position, to say the least.

Last edited:

Bridge is better than Riise and Aurelio put together. He's better than A Cole.

Injury prone though.

The Chelsea fans love him

I really believe the American owners look at AW and how he utilise expenses and how the squad so young play and how much money coming in to the club. Then see ManUtd and fellow American owner Lerner and how Aston Villa are playing great w/ such a little bit of money that just builds a case against what Rafa is trying to do...I feel Rafa has a good capable squad to win anything . I just wonder if the players believe in what Rafa is doing

I don't agree we have a such a good squad. Mediocrity just runs through our squad. Even Blackburn have more quality up front (apart from Torres) than us.

ManU despite what many might think, have spends HUGE amounts of money and we cannot compete with them. Irrespective of that, they're up there, and we are not.

AW is a bloody genius. He probably has the best 'eye' for talent in the world, and probably the best groomer of talent in the world as well. You can't expect everyone to be like him.

Rafa has his own strengths, which I don't think any other manager offers. But sometimes, he goes over the top with his tactics and cheekiness. He made a mistake in spending so much money on average players, but I guess, at that time, he never thought he'd have much maney. So he decided to go for some depth as well, which is our downfall now. He had the money this season, and he's bought some quality players. Torres is world class, Babel has huge potential, Lucas is going to be very big one day, and Yossi is a great bang for buck player. Mash would be a top signing as well, but I find it very hard to believe that's going to happen.

Basically, our owners our idiots.

Btw, is anyone here missing little Luis Garcia. He was a bit inconsistent, but everytime he scored, or was involved, it was always something very special. We could have used a player like him many times this season. Atletico got a steal, buying him for so less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom