Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Sorry Dags, you're off your head if you think Mascherano is better than Gattuso - he had a good World Cup and that's it. He was crap at West Ham and isn't exactly lighting up Anfield.

What's wrong with Sissoko, I haven't seen much of him to be honest.

Actually Mascherano is lighting up Anfield, you probably don't see it because you don't want us though. I haven't spoken to any Liverpool fan who doesn't love what Masch brings to the team, the determination and his overall game. Saying he was crap at West Ham is a pointless comment, so was Tevez really and he's doing okay for himself now? :)

Sissoko has been in the worst form I think I've ever seen a player. His passing has been woeful, his tackling more rash than normal, his creativity non-existent. And then he goes moaning to the press because we didn't play him against Marseille and we should've because his family is there {|=

Plam M, I won't completely agree with that. You probably haven't seen us play against Besiktas, Bolton, Newcastle, Marseille. We have played this so called 'beautiful football' (which I personally have never understood). Playing long balls is not against the rules, and can be a very effective tool if you have good headers up front. But the way we were playing long balls throughout yesterday, it seems as if we didn't have any other way to get the ball to the other half. That is poor football, but it's not something I would associate with Liverpool all the time. It's just we lack consistency, and then tend to revert to this tactic when we don't have things going our way.

And I have never understand what is with this so called 'beautiful, one touch passing football'. Italy don't play this, they are world champions, Greece played boring football, they won the Euro 2004. Chelsea won the EPL for 2 years, they were not exactly known for their quick, passing game. Arsenal were critisised by some people last 2 seasons, for trying to get the perfect goal, and not concentrating on winning. Even ManU grinded out a result yesterday (though very well done). In the end, it comes down to what works. You can't afford to play the quick passing game all the time. There is much more to football than that.

It seems you have a slight bias against Liverpool (not your fault of course), and I get pissed off as well, when they play clueless long balls like yesterday, but you seem to associate this with Liverpool every time they play, which I would have to disagree with. We play like this on few occasions (normally when things arn't going our way), but certainly not every match. You don't reach finals of the Champions League playing like this.

Good post by Abhishek.

You make a good point about grinding out results. I'd associate Utd more with grinding than "beautiful" football AKA Arsenal. Man Utd have won leagues because they scrapped away and grinded out 1-0 wins and goals in the last few mins. Something we can't do unfortunately.

Mate, Arsenal are our main rivals so far and I constantly compliment the way they play - they win in style. If Liverpool were winning in style, I would say the same thing. This debate isn't about winning pretty though - it's just about winning which is what we achieved yesterday. Antred's comments were very naive and bitter - admit defeat and get on with it, that's what I do. :)

Mate, Arsenal are our main rivals so far and I constantly compliment the way they play - they win in style. If Liverpool were winning in style, I would say the same thing. This debate isn't about winning pretty though - it's just about winning which is what we achieved yesterday. Antred's comments were very naive and bitter - admit defeat and get on with it, that's what I do. :)

Not really, Fergie is NEARLY as bad as Warnock and Wenger in moaning at something-or-other when they lose. He never says the team played poorly, always someone elses fault.

I won't actually associate ManU with grinding results. They did that at the start of the season, when they wern't really playing their best. I wont comment if they play 'beautiful football' (I am getting tired of using this again and again :lol:), but they were winning when they wern't playing at their best, and they are winning now. It's the result that matters.

That's the different between us and them, the winning mentality.

Regarding Mascherano, I just think it won't be worth investing in him so much money, when we are short of funds. Buying a good winger, would be a better investment IMO.

Mascherano is great at what he does, but he doesn't actually bring that much to attack. Gattuso is allowed to do what he does, because at AC Milan, they have Pirlo (best passer in the world IMO), Seedorf and Kaka (best player in the world IMO), who have enough attacking strength about them, and 2 quality full backs who provide them width. We don't have that, and Gerrard, Alonso and Lucas can all do the breaking up (not as good as Mash), and it would help out attacking more I think.

Thats a decent point Ab, however if noone is breaking up play it wont allow gerrard, alonso, lucas to get forward. You could see the difference masch made in last seasons final. While he was on, kaka, seedorf, etc didnt have a chance and you didnt even see them. The moment he goes off kaka breaks free and sets up pippo. You really need a player of his quality to compete at the top. Its not surprising manu didnt do anything all game, had alonso been playing ronaldo and rooney would have had for more space and time.

For the games at the very top masch is one of the best there is, and at 22, is a bargin for 17mil imo. Who else would you trust to mark the likes of kaka and ronaldo in the big games? I wouldnt trust alonso because he just isnt fast enough for that role. Liverpool do need a top winger, benni noon isnt good enough for the top top teams, babel is still young and developing and kewell....well time will tell if he can ever get to where he was years ago.

Last season the main difference between manu and milan was kaka and manu not having a "breaker" in midfield. In the final we had the breaker but didnt have the quality up front to make the difference. We've taken a step with Torres (who I think could rip milans ageing defense apart) but we still need a top winger. But letting masch go to get that isnt the solution. He wants to stay and the fans think he's great. He's worth the money imo. To compare, look at Anderson at 20mil. He's looking like he can become a really good player, but thats 20mil for potential. Masch is 17 for known quality.

I agree. Mash is invaluable when we play against top teams like AC Milan, ManU, Arsenal etc. The only reason I have mentioned this is we might have to balance it between either Mash or another winger this transfer window. It will be interesting to see what Rafa does. Sure, Mash did brilliant yesterday, but then we were lacking that player, who could run down the ManU defence, and provide something for Torres. I was expecting Gerrard to do that, but he was far too deep for my liking.

Put myself through the misery of watching that game again. I dont know what was worse - watching us huff and puff for 90 minutes not using our heads or knowing that the opposition are supposed to be the cream of the prem.

Bloody awful.

Who said anything about us being the cream mate? now if you'd have said champions...well that would have made some sense, but then again champions is a word not heard in Liverpool this Millenium.

Liverpool will be back next season with "This is our year, I can feel it, our new signings are amazing etc etc."

;)

And Man Utd will be back with another few £20-£30m + players, then proclaiming they dont spend as much as us. When infact one of their players costs more than most of ours put together, bar Torres :)

From The Game (- The Times)

The Debate: Liverpool are 21-0 down on league titles

In Wednesday’s Times, I wrote that Liverpool paid a price for finishing second in their Champions League group, because there was a good chance they would now be pitted against one of the big clubs of Europe: AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona or Inter Milan. Cue angry postings along the lines that, in Europe, Liverpool are a big club; five times, pal, two finals in three years, you know the argument.

Yet surely consistent domestic success is part of this process, too? Liverpool have not won the title in what would be termed the modern era, post Premier League. Since the successful 1989-90 season, their achievements have been one Champions League and one Uefa Cup win (it is pointless comparing domestic cups as these are not taken seriously by leading clubs in Italy and Spain).

In that time, Barcelona have won eight league titles and two European Cups; Real have five league titles and three European Cups; Inter have two league titles and three Uefa Cups and Milan have six league titles and three European Cups.

Inter are short a trophy with big ears, but by all other criteria Liverpool are overwhelmed.

This is not to belittle them. The point made was that recent results under Rafael Benítez in Europe suggest this quartet of clubs should be equally wary of playing Liverpool, but the big club argument goes further. I noticed that few of those insulted by the term were from Liverpool.

I think those that go to Anfield every week know the score. When Liverpool truly were the giants of the European game, they also dominated at home. What has happened in recent years is an anomaly. Unless Benítez can add the domestic title to his European achievements, there will always be a blank space on his Liverpool CV, because league form is the default measurement of success.

As it stands, in recent times, to the clubs mentioned, Liverpool are 21-0 down on league titles; and not even Steven Gerrard could pull that one back.

Which is why I've stopped replying ;) This could just go on and on, nobody is ever going to agree. It's football, people never agree and always have different opinions, part of the game :)

That hurt! :lol:

Ever heard of Champions League finals? ;)

in the last 16 years you've won as many Champions league finals as us .......1.....now add to that our 9 league titles and it kind of pisses all over your chips really, and btw your man antred was talking about the premiership, but i knew you'd have to bring the champions league final(albeit on pens ;o) ) win into it.

I agree. Mash is invaluable when we play against top teams like AC Milan, ManU, Arsenal etc. The only reason I have mentioned this is we might have to balance it between either Mash or another winger this transfer window. It will be interesting to see what Rafa does. Sure, Mash did brilliant yesterday, but then we were lacking that player, who could run down the ManU defence, and provide something for Torres. I was expecting Gerrard to do that, but he was far too deep for my liking.

Mascherano was the one lfc player that stood out...

it was the 1st time rafa hadnt rotated in 14months..

maybe the players were tired...

Which is why I've stopped replying ;) This could just go on and on, nobody is ever going to agree. It's football, people never agree and always have different opinions, part of the game :)

It's banter innit??? and if you'd have took all 3 pts on sunday no doubt you'd be largeing it in our thread.

And what a pointless article anyway............

What is he going on about?! That by euro "standards" liverpool arent a big club because they havent won the league for quite a while? Havent inter's past two league "wins" been down to AC Milan's fines? By euro standards Manu arent a big club either, actually they are smaller then Liverpool (without the other 4 CL cups or the other UEFA cups even being taken into account).......but I dont think any of us would argue that that is actually the case. In the same way domestic succes doesnt make you a big club, would anyone argue that Chelsea IS a big club? Or the fact that the FA cup is disregarded because it isnt important in italy or spain is also shortsighted because over here it is important. You only have to look at the FA cup winners the past how many years to see its always from the big 4. Or the fact that Inter's qualification to being a "big" side is two UEFA's in 91 & 93, one in 98 and the two league "wins" recently. Thats barely, if any, better then liverpools trophy haul.

And whether its an anomoly is also shortsighted and living in the past. The CL and the succes of the different leagues means its far more likely to have non league winners crowned champions these days then the other way round.

Liverpool, together with Manu and AC, Real & Barca are the big euro teams. Liverpool for their history and their recent quality, AC, Barca, Real for their history and their decade of quality and manu for their domestic quality and euro quality. I would add Bayern to that mix aswell, they have a stronger claim then Inter imo.

George Gillett: We're right behind Rafa

Dec 17 2007 by Tony Barrett

GEORGE Gillett gave Rafa Benitez his unequivocal backing after Liverpool’s American owners held clear the air talks with the Reds boss at Anfield.

Benitez met with Gillett, co-owner Tom Hicks, Foster Gillett and Rick Parry for three hours following the 1-0 home defeat to Man United and the outcome was positive with all involved agreeing to bury their differences and work together for the good of the club.

And Parry today told the ECHO the club is still totally committed to delivering a stadium which the fans can be proud of, despite having to axe the futuristic design launched in the summer because of rising costs.

In an address to the Liverpool Former Players Association at a city centre hotel - just hours after talks with Benitez - George Gillett spoke of his regret over the fall out with the Spaniard but insisted his immediate future at the club is secure.

He told an audience of Liverpool playing legends: “This wasn’t supposed to happen, but it has happened, and now the focus has to be on finding a common platform to continue our co-operation.

“Rafa is the one we want as a manager further on, and we have faith in him.

“I’ve been married over 40 years and have first hand knowledge about how to solve an argument!

“We concentrated on getting an overview over the situation, and I felt we accomplished that.”

Gillett was guarded about the imminent opening of the transfer window but spoke again about his role as a custodian of the club.

He added: “The transfer window opens soon and we might use the option that gives us, or we might not.

“Liverpool is a great club. We are well aware that we have something very valuable on our hands.

“Liverpool is not our club, it’s your club. The supporters’ club. It’s always been that way, and it will always be that way.”

Meanwhile, Rick Parry today admitted Liverpool have had to shelve their futuristic stadium design for Stanley Park because of spiralling costs, not due to the credit crunch in America, as reported elsewhere.

Liverpool are now considering their options but Parry moved to reassure fans that the club remains confident that a new stadium will be delivered in time for the start of the 2011/2012 season, in keeping with the original timescale.

He said: “We are now considering two schemes but the stadium will be a 70,000 seater.

“The new stadium will be a significant improvement on the original plans and a slightly downgraded version of the new ones.

“And it will be a massive improvement on where we were 12 months ago, if not quite as dramatic as the plans unveiled in the summer.

“The single tier Kop remains fundamental to the design and we are not expecting any delays – it should be on schedule for 2011.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...llett-we-re-right-behind-rafa-64375-20260743/

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...re-right-behind-rafa-benitez-100252-20260268/

George Gillett: We're right behind Rafa..

didnt one of your owners help put bush into the whitehouse??

rafa was never gonna win that battle, looks like his serious back-tracking has saved his neck..

if the stadium isnt going thru as planned maybe that'll free up some $$$

Tom Hicks is a close friend of George Bush I believe yea, not great is it? :(

if the stadium isnt going thru as planned maybe that'll free up some $$$

More like they are making a cheaper version to stay within the original budget. I find it amazing how crap the architects/management companies are when budgetting for the stadiums. You only have to look at wembley. And it shouldnt be that hard either as a stadium consist of a highly repetative construction and material use. Essentially they can budget in highl detail for a section of the stadium and then use formula's to multiply it to get the total price. Ibe done budgetting work and you'll always have a certain amount of inaccuracy and variable costs witht he world market but it should never get to a point were the stadium ends being twice the f#$king price! Makes you wonder whether they forgot to budget for the pitch and seats. Or something as ridiculous as that. "Hey John, I think youve missed soem elements for the budget proposal. Oh yeah, whats that? Well I cant seem to find the pitch and seating costs. Oops, Ill just add that then".

Last edited:

More like they are making a cheaper version to stay within the original budget. I find it amazing how crap the architects/management companies are when budgetting for the stadiums. You only have to look at wembley. And it shouldnt be that hard either as a stadium consist of a highly repetative construction and material use. Essentially they can budget in highl detail for a section of the stadium and then use formula's to multiply it to get the total price. Ibe done budgetting work and you'll always have a certain amount of inaccuracy and variable costs witht he world market but it should never get to a point were the stadium ends being twice the f#$king price! Makes you wonder whether they forgot to budget for the pitch and seats. Or something as ridiculous as that. "Hey John, I think youve missed soem elements for the budget proposal. Oh yeah, whats that? Well I cant seem to find the pitch and seating costs. Oops, Ill just add that then".

its a good move by the owners then, better to scrap it now than get stuck with a £1bill debt to service (like us)...

in the last 16 years you've won as many Champions league finals as us .......1.....now add to that our 9 league titles and it kind of pisses all over your chips really, and btw your man antred was talking about the premiership, but i knew you'd have to bring the champions league final(albeit on pens ;o) ) win into it.

It was a joke dude. You said we haven't heard the word champions in this millenium, I applied that to CL finals and wins. No one is denying ManU have been more successful ever since the Premiership started.

Back
Top Bottom