Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

2-0 at half time, and I am happy. Torres' goal was magical. If he stays injury-free, he can turn into a special player.

I would like to have another goal. Don't think they will be able to fight back from 3 goals.

It was an almost perfect game for us. Great defending, good passing and composure, and great finishing. This is the best system for us. 4 at the back, with the full backs coming in front, one destructor in Mashcherano, Gerrard having the freedom to come forward, one striker linking the midfield with the forward (Kuyt/Voronin), and one main striker(Torres/Crouch).

Kuyt had a great game today. Both he and Voronin have been criticized but whenever they are played as supporting strikers, they are very good. They can't play together, and they can't play on the wings. But just behind the striker, both are good.

I was kind of hoping Besiktas could pull off a draw, but Porto managed to top the group. Next round is going to be very, very tough, as all 7 group winners are world class teams. Hope we get Barcelona :)

It was an almost perfect game for us. Great defending, good passing and composure, and great finishing. This is the best system for us. 4 at the back, with the full backs coming in front, one destructor in Mashcherano, Gerrard having the freedom to come forward, one striker linking the midfield with the forward (Kuyt/Voronin), and one main striker(Torres/Crouch).

Kuyt had a great game today. Both he and Voronin have been criticized but whenever they are played as supporting strikers, they are very good. They can't play together, and they can't play on the wings. But just behind the striker, both are good.

I was kind of hoping Besiktas could pull off a draw, but Porto managed to top the group. Next round is going to be very, very tough, as all 7 group winners are world class teams. Hope we get Barcelona :)

Not afraid of any of the group toppers. We've beat them before over two legs and we'll do it again, particularly with such an increase in attacking threat in our side.

This liverpool team would of beat Milan earlier this year.

I love the way Babel shields the ball. He really is a striker.

Congrats.

We were not there, no even a single minute. We had a perfect chance to draw the score but the referee didn't want to help us. Anyway, the best team deserves it. We couldn't do anything. I'm ashamed by the pathetic performance of Givet and Rodriguez. Torres, alone, managed to destroy them.

Again, congrats.

I'm a bid sad because we started nicely.

Nice Torres goal, but I think Gerrard dove for that PK.

It wasn't a very clear penalty, but there was contact no question, the defender bought it and Gerrard obliges. It was great to settle the nerves.

Congrats.

We were not there, no even a single minute. We had a perfect chance to draw the score but the referee didn't want to help us. Anyway, the best team deserves it. We couldn't do anything. I'm ashamed by the pathetic performance of Givet and Rodriguez. Torres, alone, managed to destroy them.

Again, congrats.

I'm a bid sad because we started nicely.

The first 5 minutes was 200 kph! Even just after kick off tackles were flying. Good thing we got the first goal, then the Torres goal ..... magnificent.

The first 5 minutes was 200 kph! Even just after kick off tackles were flying. Good thing we got the first goal, then the Torres goal ..... magnificent.

Gerrard almost got taken out of the game
at kick offf.

Great result not since Owen have we had such
a world class striker, one who has the ability
to score goals against anyone.

Nice goal return for Babel 6 so far.

It's results like this that really pisses me
off when we see the result that we had at the
weekend tho...

We've got a rematch vs Luton in the 3rd round
of the FA cup at the dogs kennel...

It's results like this that really pisses me
off when we see the result that we had at the
weekend tho...

Exactly. We've shown we can mix it with the best teams in the world, we have world class players and we can beat anyone. And to get beat by Reading of all teams is mystifying. I suppose everyone has dodgy games though.

great game,well done Liverpool:applause::D:D,you were by far the better team ,Torres,Gerrard,kuit and Masherano were fantastic and for the penalty it was a clear one ,no way gerrard dived,
Now let's hope you can kick the Reds devil ass on sunday:)

Torres' goal was sublime!

This Liverpool side reminds me of some of the great German national teams of the past - efficient, hard-working and machine-like. It isn't pretty to watch but results are what matters in this game. I think if it wasn't for Torres I wouldn't even bother watching the Reds (no offence intended here lads :)).

All my opinon of course.

Last edited:

I really think it depends on the teams being played and the setup. If we have to be the attacking dominant team we can really pass it about well when on our game. Short one-touch passing between gerrard,torres,kuyt,benni noon and now kewell. Liverpool are now starting to look more and more like the valencia team from a few years ago that beat liverpool at anfield in cl. Who had a very quick way of passing it through a team from front to back while at the same time keeping a very solid defense.

But in a game like this, and with the score liverpool didnt need to do anything other then block the team which they did very well. It was a boring game, but it was one very good performance to attack with so much ease and not give a chance away.

Great result and performance last night , torres was magnificent! to put the game to bed so early was just the tonic.

What do you lads think of this article:

United We Stand! by Matt Le Tissier

It doesn't matter where these two are in the table, this is always a blood and thunder affair.

Even with hardly any Mancunians or Scousers in the side, this is one rivalry that seems to have stood the test of time. It will not be for the faint-hearted, that's for sure.

The Anfield crowd will be right up for this one, they always are. And they should be after such a good performance in Marseille on Tuesday.

That will have given the players a huge lift. Now they have qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, you would hope Liverpool can start concentrating on the football.

I know he's got a meeting with the American owners this weekend, but that win in France will have lifted some of the pressure off Rafa Benitez. I don't think for a minute he would have been sacked, but had he lost in Marseille and against United then the heat would really have been on.

He was put in his place as well by George Gillett - and I don't blame the American. Rafa wanted more money to spend, but let's be honest here, has he not had enough already? It was right that the manager was told to get on with matters on the pitch - especially with such big games coming up.

Over-cautious

But it's amazing what a difference one result can make and you would think Liverpool will come flying out of the traps on Sunday, confidence sky-high.

Mind you, they always should. Maybe it comes from the manager, I don't know, but they have been a little over-cautious at home for me at times this season.

As a result Anfield isn't really the fortress is should be. They've drawn four and won three of their seven home league games when, with that support, they should be blowing most teams away.

Manchester United are not most teams of course, but it would be great for all of us watching at home if Liverpool did come out, go for the jugular and really ask questions of Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

That said, they seem to have all the answers right now. It is all looking very, very good for United and of all four teams involved in Grand Slam Sunday, you have to say they look to be in the best shape.

They might not be top going into the game, but they have such strength-in-depth in their squad, such quality, that they can even send out half a first team in a tough place like Rome and still get a point.

The one area where they are much better off than Liverpool, Arsenal and even Chelsea is midfield. In midweek they rested players and still called in Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick, both internationals.

Paul Scholes is still injured of course and it will be interesting to see if Owen Hargreaves makes this because he and Anderson seem to be the favoured central pairing.

Exceeded expectations

I've got to say the young lad from Brazil has really impressed me - and I do think he has probably come on quicker and settled better than even Sir Alex would've hoped. We all talk about Cesc Fabregas and rightly so, but Anderson is only 19 himself. You expect Fergie to sign good players and great prospects, but this lad had exceeded all my expectations so far.

As has the man who is so vital to Liverpool: Fernando Torres. He's been superb and another that has been a pleasant surprise. I knew he was a willing worker and a big, strong lad, but I didn't expect such finesse on the ball, such good feet and such clinical finishing.

It seems he and Dirk Kuyt, with Steven Gerrard breaking off them, is the way Rafa wants to go and after Marseille it is hard to argue. From a personal point of view, I would prefer to see Peter Crouch in there alongside Torres, but it worked well in midweek and although I am still not convinced it is the long-term solution, Kuyt and Torres will keep the United backline occupied.

Whether they will have as much success as their opposite numbers, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez, I am not sure. I have to admit I wasn't sure they would dovetail so well, but the pair of them seem to have clicked. Of course, they are both very good players, which helps, but they have forged an understanding.

They both like to drop deep, but it has been drummed into them that when one does, the other has to get in the box at the sharp end of things. Maybe Rooney looks a little frustrated that he is not scoring that many right now, but it will come.

Rarely do you see a side create as many chances as United do. They still seem to miss a fair few as well - maybe because they know another will be along in a minute, they relax. We couldn't afford to do that in my days at Southampton, because it might have been another three matches before you even got a sniff of goal!

That in itself speaks volumes for how well United are going. They are solid at the back again, packed with talent in midfield and creating and taking enough chances to win games comfortably. If missing a few is the worst of their worries, then you know they are in good shape for the biggest game of their season so far.

Le Tiss predicts

AWAY WIN - Neither will mind a point from this and a defeat is not really going to be the end of the world, but when these two meet, it's all about pride. I can only see this being the usual Liverpool-United stuff, which means basically a good old scrap! I hope Liverpool take the game to them - although I'm not convinced the manager will let them - but by the same token, we know how United can hurt you on the break. And it is that extra bit of quality in attack that will decide this. It will be close, but I can see United's firepower edging this, 2-1.

Matt's main man

CARLOS TEVEZ - Fabulous footballers should be clever enough to work things out for themselves and that is clearly what Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez have done. They work very well together, as similar as they may be, but right now Tevez seems to be the one involved in everything. He is always busy, he is scoring goals and if that Liverpool central defence has one weakness it is when nippy little forwards buzz about them, play on their shoulders and then drop off. Tevez can do the lot.

Source: http://www.skysports.com/experts/expert_story/0,19793,12085_2967906,00.html

"He was put in his place as well by George Gillett - and I don't blame the American. Rafa wanted more money to spend, but let's be honest here, has he not had enough already? It was right that the manager was told to get on with matters on the pitch - especially with such big games coming up."

Not really, everyone looks at how much we spent but doesn't look at how much we made from selling players too. So really, their outlay wasn't as much as the press like to make out.

"The one area where they are much better off than Liverpool, Arsenal and even Chelsea is midfield. In midweek they rested players and still called in Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick, both internationals."

Bollocks, Darren Fletcher? VERY overrated! Kieran Richardson is better and when he was sold, he went to Sunderland. If Fletcher went, he'll go to someone similar. If we have fully fit players, we have probably the best midfield in the league in Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Babel, Kewell, Lucas and even Sissoko when he's on form.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't really agree that ManU have a better midfield. If you just look at the centre midfield we have Gerrard who is one of the best, if not the best (on his day), central attacking midfielder in the world. Then we have Mascherano, who is one of the best 'destroyers' (along with Gattuso) in the world. However, I think that ManU have much better wingers, in the form of Cristiano Ronaldo (the best winger today IMO) and Ryan Giggs.

Just on paper, I think all of 4 teams have equally strong sides. The difference might be in experience, nerves, form, and of course injury.

I am personally expecting a draw, but I won't be surprised if either side wins. ManU have a fantastic record at Anfield, but we really dominated last season's fixture. Our finishing was poor, which let us down. This time, we are not only much better attacking wise with better wingers (from last year), but also our finishing is much more clinical with Torres upfront. I also have a feeling that the match might just be decided by a magical moment. A spark of brilliance from Gerrard, Torres, Ronaldo, Tevez or somebody else or perhaps some luck (but let's hope the refereeing doesn't spoil this game).

I am also surprised that Anderson has been getting all the praise. He has really impressed me with his vision, and passing, but I feel Lucas has just been impressive, if not more. Many might not notice Lucas in the game, as he isn't that explosive when attacking, but he has the calming effect on the midfield. He ensures that everything is organized in there, and that is really impressive for someone so young.

I think Lucas is noticed by the Liverpool fans, who have taken to him quite a lot. The press in general don't seem too bothered by him though and I haven't seen his name even mentioned in the papers or on Sky/BBC websites.

To the disgraceful thieving scum who keep robbing from our players

I’d just like to point out that Mr Hicks and Gillettes hotel bedrooms will be empty between 1 and 4pm on Sunday.
And i believe they’ve got wads of duty free.

Police are today looking for 4 masked men wearing Stetsons and checked elasticated pants. If you or anyone you know is approached with the typical “wanna buy any ciggies mate?” opener in any of Liverpools pubs and bars and these items are offered then please phone the police or Rick Parry on 0151 666 666. It will go straight to voicemail but Rick will get back to you in March:

1. Book titled “Soccerball for Americans- An explanation why soccer clubs aren’t going to get Ronaldino in the draft in the December transfer break”
2. Dolly Parton CD “Stand by your man”
3. Signed picture of George W Bush that states “ I tort you all i knew”
4. Rick Parry’s CV titled “Why i’m a better choice than Rafa” written in Crayon.
5. Title deeds to Liverpool football club
6. Architects new plans for the ground titled “£500m - Why we need to replace the Steel with Mithril”
7. 34 T-Shirts with “ Oil is ace “ on them
8. Laptop with excel spreadsheet on looking at the advantages of groundsharing with Manchester United. Saved under LiverUnited.doc
9. Translated song lyrics of "She loves the scouse cock"

It is also believed that a portly security guard was taken hostage and put in a box. Any information may lead to a reward of one of the 60,000 empty seats in the new ground with the caveat that they will only be available if Mr Benitez isn’t managing the team.

TBH I couldnt care less what pundits say, most of them are thick as f$%k footballers anyway and have little to no insight into the tactical elements of the game.

I think both sides will be equal, with liverpool having to be the more dominant as the home side. Last season it was a fortunate goal that won the game with liverpool just not having the class to take their chances. This year it could be torres that makes the difference.

And as for manu's midfield, I think their first selection midifeld edges it, but with scholes being injured and giggs getting older liverpool should be able to win the battle this weekend. As well as ronaldo going missing in the big games. Of all the top side matches Ive seen over the years he's never been the one to make the difference.

For livepool's attack, I think kuyt and torres is the right choice. Crouch may give greater threat for individual moments then kuyt but I think kuyt with his continued running and torres with his pace will work better to tire out the utd defense over the course of the game. And then eventually crouch could come on to maybe make the difference. Together with possibly kewell and beniyoun probing from wide and gerrard making runs liverpool do look strong this year.

Ill go for a liverpool win, 1 or 2-0. Dont think utd will be able to get through if we score first and we could then finish it off on the counter with torres.

Either way lets hope the ref doesnt f$%k it up and the best team wins.

As well as ronaldo going missing in the big games. Of all the top side matches Ive seen over the years he's never been the one to make the difference.

yes he didnt score against arsenal this year, and he didnt score two at highbury
three years ago, and he wasnt the best player in the FA Cup Final, he didnt make the winning penalty against england in the world cup, he didnt score twice against Roma in the CL knockout phase(and completley dominate the match), he didnt score in the CL semi-final, he didnt score twice against Man city last year(both victories in a derby) and all the goals he scores between the so called "big games" mean nothing... because after all the only games that matter are the ones against liverpool, chelsea, and arsenal. Your right he never comes up big.

And as for manu's midfield, I think their first selection midifeld edges it, but with scholes being injured and giggs getting older liverpool should be able to win the battle this weekend. As well as ronaldo going missing in the big games. Of all the top side matches Ive seen over the years he's never been the one to make the difference.

Don't write off Anderson and Hargreaves mate.

Yeah it's definitely beginning to be a myth rather than the rule that Ronaldo goes missing. Admittedly against Milan he was rubbish, but against Roma he was great. And he's owned Arsenal the last couple times the teams have met, which surely is a big game! He struggles against Chelsea and generally liverpool because he's get continually double teamed, in a sense he helps United defend by holding their LMF back.

I think Pool are due some luck against United, and could well see a 1 or even 2-0 victory. I guarantee Carragher is going to do somethign that warrants a penalty...but get away with it. And it'll probably be on Ronaldo. It's all karma ;)

Think Pool should boss the midfield, while I rate a healthy Hargo equal to Macherano, Stevie G is still a better play than Anderson/Carrick. Up front I wouldn't trade Rooney for Torres but Tevez...hrm...I also think, despite reputations, our defence is stronger at the moment. I hope it'll be an open game but I doubt it, United would be happy with a point, and Pool tend to like to keep things tight. I worry abotu Vidic on Torres, the Serb is fantastic, but physical, and being at Anfield I wouldn't be surprised if he gets booked very early for a fairly innocuous one, then screams for a red for the rest of the match.

Either way, nice for the match to mean something to the league, it's been years! :p

Either way, nice for the match to mean something to the league, it's been years! :p

I dont think it means that much, lfc cant go above us...

I agree with lfc CMF midfield being stronger (albeit slightly) if scholes was playing with hargreaves i'd say it was pretty even,

FACE IT BOYS U MUNICH SCUMBAGS ARE GOIN DOWN BIGTIME. UR COMING TO FORTRESS ANFIELD TO GET EMBARRASSED BY THE SPANISH ARMADA!
we've been in the dark too long. move over man u. and let the 18times champs take back their crown

peace

Back
Top Bottom