Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I really wonder why these new refs are absolutely bollocks/Not up to the standard/you name it.

Reading played well but we're suppose to win if those penalties and very arguable no-calls around the box were given. In our fault, the addition of Hobbs and 2 DMs didn't help the attacking at all. And putting Gerrard on the F*CKING left wing early on really2 embarassed my lovable Liverpool. What on earth are you (Rafa) thinking? PUT THAT SH*T VORONIN ON THE LEFT AND GERRARD ON THE RIGHT !!!!!!! How can you prioritize Voro above Gerrard !!!!

Frustrating to see the unbeaten record go off mostly by the hand of a ref ...........

It was actually quite close, considering we hit the post/bar twice and were playing with a man less the whole game.

FFS, how crap was the ref today?! I can understand the first pen being given, the contact was outside but it "continued" into the box, and crouch got a similar one the other week. But how can Torres be pushed and then tackled without the defender getting the ball and still not get a pen?! Or the fact that right infront of the ref Torres gets tripped up and again nothing. Even hobbs could have had a pena t the end when he was obviously being tugged to stop him getting up for the header.

Had it been a decent ref we could have easily drawn or even won the match. Might be a blessing in disguise, will really wind up the players to do well the next 2 games. Im always aprehensive when Liverpool go on a run like they did, youre getting closer to a poor game. Atleast we, hopefully, got it out of the way today.

wow.

the single most dreadful refering display for many a year. What is it about us and reading and refs? In the Carling cup Torres was cut to ribbons, had a stonewall penalty turned down and their first goal had no less than 6 offside players involved in it.Then at the same end today, a fould that was commited 5 yards outside the box within 10 yards of the linesman and two stonewall trip on Torres. Also he booked Gerrard for his first foul and allowed yarddogs Hunt and Sonko away with numerous challenges.

Unbelievable.

you were lucky carragher wasnt booked for the peno, even tho it was outside the area

I didnt think the trip on Torres in the first half was a peno, the defender played the ball first, but the second half one was a peno i think

So Rafa didnt fuck it with his team selection?

So Rafa didnt fuck it with his team selection?

Spot-on mate. To sum it up: 2 defensive midfielders. Gerrard on the left. Voronin. Hobbs.

But of course it's the refs fault, not Liverpool being clueless in attack. I still reckon L'pool have the players to win the title - just the wrong coaching style.

Does Rafa want the England job or something? ;)

Last edited:

Spot-on mate. To sum it up: 2 defensive midfielders. Gerrard on the left. Voronin. Hobbs.

But of course it's the refs fault, not Liverpool being clueless in attack. I still reckon L'pool have the players to win the title - just the wrong coaching style.

Does Rafa want the England job or something? ;)

We were clueless in attack?

Torres had a simple chance saved, gerrard scored, Torres was brought down twice in the box by yarddog Sonko, Hanneman saved well from Voronin and a Risse freekick,Kewell missed a good chance, gerrard hit the bar and Crouch struck the post, an inch cost both goals.

Compared to readings mysterious penalty, dubious header (lets be honest it didnt look like Doyle touched it which is why he ran away celebrating slapping his head, of course the goal would not have counted if it went straight in) and a breakaway goal (very nice goal mind) and a bobby convey shot in the first half..

Reading had 34% possesion all game.

Yes Rafa made mistakes, but to say it was our attacking is ludicrous, just wasnt our day.

I just LOVE the way the BBC claim it was a richly deserved win. Like Bollox is was. Fair play, a cracking result, but any sensible reading fan or any other fan for that matter would see that is was fourtonate.

Today is one of those days that can really make your question your passion for Football. Awful Referee, everything going Reading's way.

We have to beat United next week or we can forget about the league. The standard in the top 4 is so high compared to the other leagues.

We neeeeed defensive cover and fast. On the other hand, I struggle to see why Rafa played a 4-3-3 with Voronin on the wing, and I was also puzzled as to the abscene of Lucas, a player who will keep the ball all day long, which is what you want away to Reading.

Lets hope Boro do their usual 'beat the top 4 and loose to everyone else' routine.

Also hoping for a Spurs win against City.

its also typical that the week that we slip up, Chelsea and United get easy home games against relegation candidates, and you can add in Arsenal to that too.

I hope Torres and Gerrard's knocks aren't too bad.

I am pissed off the ref. 2 clear penalties not given. Even if the first Torres one was given, the whole momentum of the match would have changed and the result would have been very different. And the team selection was poor. There is absolutely no point in playing Mashcerano and Sissoko together. It just doesn't work. Sissoko can't pass the ball for his life. Our attacking wasn't that great as well, and that combined with bad luck, means we finally lost a Premiership game. I won't start saying that Voronin and Crouch arn't good enough. They didn't play well simply because they were played out of position. Voronin is a very good player if he works as a supporting striker linking the midfield and the centre forward. Same with Kuyt. Crouch obviously has to play as the main striker. Yesterday's system just didn't allow them to play to their potential. These are times when I get really pissed off at Rafa. We have lost all our momentum, and our next 2 games will be crucial to our hopes of winning anything. Marseille is a must win obviously, I don't see us challenging for the Premiership, if we lost points against ManU. We'll be too far behind the top teams.

Last edited:

what better motivation to beat United then. Unless they put in a determind, passionate display, I will be very, very pissed.

Sissoko is diabolical at the moment. Mark my words, if we played Lucas we'd ev won.

If we played a simple formation, we would have won. The more I think of it, the less sense the formation makes. Crouch as a left winger? He could have easily played Torres and Crouch upfront, Babel on the right, Kewell on the left, and Mash/Lucas and Gerrard in the center. Simple, yet effective. Rafa played 2 defensive midfielders against Reading! Just when I start to think Rafa has got it all figured out, he shocks us all with his team selection.

Anyways, it's over now, and we have to think about our next 2 games, which could be the most decisive games for our season. We will be motivated to beat United and Marseille which are both must wins. We are at our best when in do or die situations it seems.

About, Lucas, he has impressed me a lot. I heard a lot about him from a Brazilian friend, and he seems to be proving his name. Torres might get all the attention, but Lucas has been almost as impressive. I was just looking at former 'Brazilian Player of the Year' , and the list seems impressive

2006 : Lucas (Grêmio)
2005 : Carlos Tévez (Corinthians)
2004 : Robinho (Santos FC)
2003 : Alex (Cruzeiro)
2002 : Kaká (São Paulo FC)

I hope he can really produce the goods here :D

Tbh I wouldnt have put lucas into the team, he wouldnt have had the time or physical strenght to put up with the reading midfield hounding him. Sissoko and masch are for stronger for that. However sissoko cant really do anything else then hound the opposition into losing possesion.

An odd selection when looking at the result, however were it not for two poor tackles from liverpool, 3 critical decisions going the wrong way and a bit more luck (scoring instead of hitting the woodwork) we could have comfortably won the game. For all readings work they didnt actually create much besides a couple of shots from outside the goal and the only goal scored from open play was with liverpool pushing so far up chasing the game. In the context of how the game panned out we could have easily won it without having to get into second gear. The main problem was we werent, with the selection, able to step up a gear when behind.

I thought Lucas has been the key to our recent good form. Previously we had been struggling to string 5 passes together. He was able to calm things down and wind down the clock. He didn't look phased when under pressure from a presing midfield either.

from that list you posted, only really Alex has failed to live up to his reputation.

Sissoko is a liabillity in any game. He doesn't even win possesion any more.

Currently Middlesborough doing the business. Fingers crossed.

Yeh, fingers crossed :D Come on Middlesbrough! Would make me feel a little better after the loss :lol:

Edit: :mrgreen:

Last edited:

The league is so open now! We are still 7 behind Arsenal, 4 if we win the game in hand (whenever that is!!). Now if we beat ManU, and Chelsea beat Arsenal, then it's on :D

Last edited:

both next sunday from 1:30 on sky sports, I cant see liverpool beating us tho next week tbh, we have a good record at anfield in recent years and are squad is even better this yeah

Pah, Liverpool are a completley different team this year, and we absoluotley bossed the corresponding fixture only for O'Shea to fluke a scrappy winner in the last minute.

It will be close.

Pah, Liverpool are a completley different team this year, and we absoluotley bossed the corresponding fixture only for O'Shea to fluke a scrappy winner in the last minute.

It will be close.

QFT.

Reading certainly didn't deserve to win the game yesterday, it just wasn't our day. Hitting the woodwork twice, Torres not getting penalties and other strange decisions, just one of those games really.

Kinda worrying we lose our unbeaten run just before the Marseille game, but maybe it'll spur us on? I certainly hope so anyway!

you were lucky carragher wasnt booked lol, first peno was a good tackle, he got the ball before he caught torres, second one was a peno tho

I think this weekend will spur us on, hence we'll beat you. We can push on from yours and Arsenals misfortunes and pull ahead...

...or at least I hope so =P

What goes around comes around Red-shite! Short memories you lot!
you cant have your mate clattenborg every match...;)

Stop your winging and take it on the chin like we had to!

Wasnt the most posts after the derby with the blues moaning so much?! :D

And it does, somewhat, even it self out. Crouch was fouled on the line the other week and got the pen, this weekend its the otherway round. In the everton game it was mostly kuyt not getting sent off, the penalties were all clear. I still remember the chelsea game, that was a costly mistake. I guess we'll just have to get a dodgy pen against manu next weekend and for ronaldo to not get a penalty for a real foul :D

I dont mind a ref making a mistake, and I dont think most of us are moaning about conceding the penalty, carra was being stupid. However to consistantly get them wrong and in favour of the home team, even small fouls, is very frustrating.

What goes around comes around Red-shite! Short memories you lot!
you cant have your mate clattenborg every match...;)

Good point mate. When we lost to Bolton I took it on the chin and got on with it. Too many Reds looking for excuses in here - you lost. Deal with it and move on. :)

I think we are dealing with it and moving on. At the end of the day, it was just one of those games. If we got beat fair and square then fair enough. But the fact Reading had 34% possession, the ref was shite and things just didn't go our way ... well it just wasn't our day. It was bound to happen, and it was going to happen that we lost to a rubbish team. That's football.

Roll on Marseille :D

Edit: Everton fans CERTAINLY didn't "take it on the chin"! The amount of whinging and complaining about that match was shocking, even down to Everton fans trawling Liverpool websites, trawling through autobiograpies looking for conspiricy theories. So I'm not sure how you can say they took it on the chin ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

You nervous about the Marseille game? I reckon you have enough to beat them. That match at Anfield was a one-off.

Back
Top Bottom