Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Yes we got Torres, Babel, Benayoun and Lucas....but its a well known fact to Liverpool fans that Rafa didn't get what he wanted.

Rafa wanted a defender too. He wanted Heinze but failed, he went for Kaladze but the owners wouldn't sanction it.

We have not spent any more money than we have in the last five seasons. THE NET SPEND WAS ABOUT 15M. Hargreaves cost more than that on his own FFS. The 'financial' Support is a myth. Rafa deserves the credit for making a profit on outgoing players, and for indentifying the merits of Torres, Babel, Benayoun and Lucas coming into the team. All of which have had great seasons so far.

He also wants 17m for Mascherano. Not to much to ask for in my opinion for the best young Defending Midfielder in existance. Yes, its a big step up considering our last record signing before Torres was 14m, but the potential abillity to secure players like this is why the Americans won over the previous shareholders.

We've signed the petition posted in the last page.

over 20,000 so far.

That's half of Anfield. Lets try and at least get 40k.

Although I'm quite sure the whole of Anfield will make its feeling know tomorrow!

I wanna see a big huge Banner with Benitez on it, surrounded by his cups.

If they do get Mourinho I would probably start supporting Liverpool properly after the last few dismal years of Tranmere. My favourite Premier League club and my favourite manager. Beautiful.

Even though Benitez in no way deserves the sack and it is a disgrace if he goes, almost as bad as Capello winning the league with Real Madrid and then getting fired. It would be ridiculous.

And Mourinho has said he doesn't want to manage in England again for "at least a few years", if I remember rightly. So I don't think there's much truth to the rumours.

Anyone going to the march tonight? I'm gonna get myself down there and watch the game in the Sandon.

I swear I have watched Liverpool play 10 long balls so far tonight.

EDIT: Crouch is coming on - expect 20 more long balls.

Yawn.

Who cares mate? Fucking Man Utd fans, no right to speak about anything with that dirty bastard Evra getting away with murder. Go back to your own thread mate ;)

Yawn.

4-1, yawn.

Don't watch then:lmao:

We were very nervy, but first half we played some great stuff. And as soon as Kewell came on, we got back into a groove.

If they do get Mourinho I would probably start supporting Liverpool properly after the last few dismal years of Tranmere. My favourite Premier League club and my favourite manager. Beautiful.

Even though Benitez in no way deserves the sack and it is a disgrace if he goes, almost as bad as Capello winning the league with Real Madrid and then getting fired. It would be ridiculous.

And Mourinho has said he doesn't want to manage in England again for "at least a few years", if I remember rightly. So I don't think there's much truth to the rumours.

Hey Jack

I'd be confident that we would win the league within two seasons with Mourinho in charge, but he is a hate figure. He is not Liverpool class, he doesn't understand the mentality you need to be a successful part of Liverpool.

Saying that, my belief in Rafa is actually growing all the time. It's clear we havent hit top gear, not at all, but we're still in four tournaments and we're six points behind Arsenal, who really are in top gear. three behind United with a game in hand, with the same goal difference. And they've been worshipped this season too.

Our away form is improving, our home form seems to be back, and this is still without two of our most crucial players. Xabi and Agger. If the Americans sack Rafa there will be riots, I'm telling you. There is no justification what-so-ever.

Yes Benitez does have a strong squad, and the owners did back them in the summer (only through player sales), but anyone who knows anything about football can see that we lack cover in certain areas, and that some of the old guard and on their way to retirement homes. All rafa wants is for the owners to adapt for 'soccer', and by that you need to act early in the transfer market (even if this includes tapping up, everyone does it)

Rafa looked emotional tonight talking about the fans. He's a legend whatever happens.\\:o/

Phew, that was a close one. A good 30 minutes in the beginning, and 15 minutes in the end, and the game seems like an easy win. I think the shock of conceding a goal after so many matches, really shook the players. Most of the first half, we were looking like the team against Besiktas, but then the Torres (and Kewell) factor came into play, and we cruised along. I just don't know what happened. It's like 2 completely different teams. It's hard to describe, but sometimes, it feels like watching a different team altogether. But Torres saved us (again), and then we were back to the Liverpool we know and love :) And it's clear that this Liverpool can score goals for fun. We just need to play like this consistently.

Torres is worth every dollar/pound/euro we paid. He's proved us all wrong, and has finally unleashed the potential he had hidden at Atletico. He's a match winner, absolutely world-class. I think Mash had another great game, we can't let him go! Sign him, and get another central defender. Sell Momo and Kuyt (he was horrible again) if you want, but don't get rid of Crouch. He provides a completely different attacking option.

Overall, a good day for us. Marseille will be tough, but I am hoping we can keep our nerve, and play to our potential. Shouldn't be a problem if we do. Also, we have a chance of topping our group \\:o/

Hey Jack

I'd be confident that we would win the league within two seasons with Mourinho in charge, but he is a hate figure. He is not Liverpool class, he doesn't understand the mentality you need to be a successful part of Liverpool.

Saying that, my belief in Rafa is actually growing all the time. It's clear we havent hit top gear, not at all, but we're still in four tournaments and we're six points behind Arsenal, who really are in top gear. three behind United with a game in hand, with the same goal difference. And they've been worshipped this season too.

Our away form is improving, our home form seems to be back, and this is still without two of our most crucial players. Xabi and Agger. If the Americans sack Rafa there will be riots, I'm telling you. There is no justification what-so-ever.

Yes Benitez does have a strong squad, and the owners did back them in the summer (only through player sales), but anyone who knows anything about football can see that we lack cover in certain areas, and that some of the old guard and on their way to retirement homes. All rafa wants is for the owners to adapt for 'soccer', and by that you need to act early in the transfer market (even if this includes tapping up, everyone does it)

Rafa looked emotional tonight talking about the fans. He's a legend whatever happens.\\:o/

Apart from winning the league with Mourinho (Benitez is a better manager IMO), agree with everything else Peter said. :applause:

Haha, I'm glad you didn't say you wanted to spit on me Peter. ;)

Great post and an enjoyable read. My point of view is that of a football lover who has never "supported" a top-flight team, so sometimes I feel like an alien. Everyone I know supports Liverpool or Everton, only one or two support Tranmere. Two different worlds, I wonder if some people on here understand what it's like sometimes.

I'll always support Tranmere but after we were relegated in 2000 it's just been one big long depression ever since. It's hard to motivate yourself every season because you know you'll start great (like we did), possibly even get to the top (like we did), and then self-destruct (like we are now, 1st to 9th in a matter of weeks).

But I've always followed Liverpool in the Premier League, mainly because you get highlights of their game every week guaranteed and so you can see how they're playing. Under Rafa they have been excellent and tonight was testament to that, all the fans go out there to say how much they want Rafa to stay and their team wins 4-1. Can't ask for much more than that.

In no way does he deserve to go, he's already achieved a lot with Liverpool and I think he deserves to say when he's going rather than be sacked. He's obviously a good manager, he obviously cares about Liverpool and the board are obviously stupid if they get rid of him.

I still can't quite believe the talk of the last week, it's like... Even though it's been reported everywhere, I literally find it hard to believe.

But personally, from a neutral's point of view, I love Mourinho and I'll be gutted if he comes back as manager of a team I hate, or manages in another league. Which I know he will.

Last edited:

plan m said:

Yawn.

Dont start going back to your ninjadickz posting behaviour. It was always the same, ManU lose and you come in here to have a go.

Keep posting the decent stuff you've been doing so far.

Dont start going back to your ninjadickz posting behaviour. It was always the same, ManU lose and you come in here to have a go.

Keep posting the decent stuff you've been doing so far.

Hey calm down! I was merely addressing the football I was watching! All of them brilliant players and L'pool were playing the long ball. If England or United play badly I state so in the appropriate threads - you guys are too touchy! And as for United losing, you better check the results from Tuesday again mate: We beat Sporting 2-1. :)

We also played a lot of balls along the floor too. If Torres and Crouch are good in the air, why not use the opportunity? I'll tell you what, I'll watch Man Utd's next televised game to nitpick and see how many long balls they play, including long balls over to Ronaldo.

We also played a lot of balls along the floor too. If Torres and Crouch are good in the air, why not use the opportunity? I'll tell you what, I'll watch Man Utd's next televised game to nitpick and see how many long balls they play, including long balls over to Ronaldo.

That's fine with me mate. Look at the United thread - Dermot comes in and posts a huge picture of Anelka in an Arsenal shirt after we lost to Bolton. Did I go mad? No! It's football banter - don't take it so personally. :)

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my earlier post by the way - it just annoys me when classy players play the long-ball in this day & age. :)

Last edited:

I generally dislike long balls. Everton's style of long ball counter-attacks is unattractive and cheap, not relying on footballing skill really. Sometimes it has to be done, sometimes it's a clever move, but to base your game around it is wrong.

Carragher and Hyppia have got really annoying tendencies to hit the long ball instead of waiting for a player to pass to, drives me mad when they hit aimless balls.

Hey calm down! I was merely addressing the football I was watching! All of them brilliant players and L'pool were playing the long ball. If England or United play badly I state so in the appropriate threads - you guys are too touchy! And as for United losing, you better check the results from Tuesday again mate: We beat Sporting 2-1.

So 10 longballs in 70 minutes of football against a team that is mainly defending with 2 strong attackers in the air up front. Thats pretty low then isnt it for a "longball" team.

And you finish with a "Yawn". If its so boring why are you watching? To see what you can criticise and post in threads? No mention of the good goal scored? No mention of the passing going awry when porto equalised? No mention of Porto's poor zonal marking at the corners? Or the good passing in the first 30min/last 30min?

So really no insight shown but more of an excuse to post a comment trying to highlight how boring and longball liverpool are [supposed to be]. Even when they are actually playing mostly along the ground and mix it up with a longball from time to time.

Thats why you get a reaction, and why I commented on it as it was a return to pointless snipes at Liverpool from the days of El Diego. I looked in the Manu thread and I couldnt find any posts from any of the pool supporters having a go/laugh at losing to bolton. The dermot post was an obvious attempt at humour and got the appropriate response, a kanoute pic in the arsenal thread. What's the humor in posting how "boring" a team is with a Yawn? See marukomo's post about the giros for good banter.

Sorry man. I did post earlier in this thread that I think Liverpool are more than capable of winning the league this year so it's not all negative from me. :)

Last edited:

Carragher and Hyppia have got really annoying tendencies to hit the long ball instead of waiting for a player to pass to, drives me mad when they hit aimless balls.

I think it's more like nobody was there to receive a short pass, either they're hounded by the opposing midfields or they're too far a head. Sometimes they do hit aimless balls, but not too often.

mark these words American Bosses have no heart when you speak out loud against them. Rafa is gone in December and Mourinho will never be offered a job w/ the Americans. Business is business whether it`s Pizza Hut employees or a Football club employees it`s ran similar. Bye Rafa you spoke a bit too much out loud

Rafa getting behind the fans is very smart..very clever but not good enough

Strong words mate, well if the owners want their club to succeed, they better wait until the season's over before deciding something as drastic as that.

Anyway, got this from an article. Probability on the last group CL game:

LIVERPOOL will qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League if:

* They win by any score in Marseille. Liverpool have a better goal difference than the French, but in the group stages head-to-head record takes precedence and Marseille won 1-0 at Anfield.

* If Besiktas win in Porto, a Marseille-Liverpool draw would also see the Reds progress, along with Besiktas. Porto, Liverpool and Marseille would all have eight points, Marseille’s head to head is better than Liverpool’s, but Porto’s head to head is better than Marseille’s – so goal difference would come into the equation and Liverpool have the best goal difference in Group A.

mark these words American Bosses have no heart when you speak out loud against them. Rafa is gone in December and Mourinho will never be offered a job w/ the Americans. Business is business whether it`s Pizza Hut employees or a Football club employees it`s ran similar. Bye Rafa you spoke a bit too much out loud

Rafa getting behind the fans is very smart..very clever but not good enough

Dont underestimate the fans mate, this aint the states. Its more than just a game over here. upset your supporters at your peril. Attendances dropped in houlliers last season as the supporters started to vote with their feet. i can imagine most (like myself) would stop going in protest and hit them in the pocket.

Thats not to forget the fact that if they got a new manager in theyd have to buy a whole new rack of players for him, new backroom staff, everything. Not great finiancial sense.

In my opinion they need to grow thicker skin. If this all it takes to get a manager dismissed we'd be going down the man city route. Benitez was wrong to do it publically but maybe he thought he was in a losing battle and needed to let the fans know. Hes apologised but Hicks and Gillete have said nothing. They have nothing to dismiss him on anymore, weve score 17 goals and conceded 1 in 4 games now, the fans are behind him and so are the players.

Theyd be utter fools to meddle.If they do the fans will make their tenure untenable believe me.

Back
Top Bottom