Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

We need Masch and a defender as a priority. Anything else could wait till the Summer, but If an opportunity arrises in January, it could really fuel a title/cup push. Assuming we are still there in Jan.

Good win, fortunately for newcaslte torres didnt have his finishing boots on today otherwise it could have been a bigger spanking then derby. Newcastle were never it in, after the 1st 20 mintes the possesion was 20-80%.

Lucas looked really good, admittedly he didnt actually have a player against him today, but even when he was in a tight spot he passed the ball calmly every time and was always looking for another player instead of just passing in to space and hoping someone would be there. He probably lacks the long range passing of alonso but for someone to keep it simple and make the play he looked really good. I think liverpool need a player like him, maybe mroe so then alonso at the moment as you can see how much better they play when they just keep possesion and not always look to gerrard for the hollywood ball.
Babel came on and again looked good, you can see the talent and power he has. Its just getting him to be consistent and make the good choices with turning and passing. But when, if, he does start doing that he should be another good youngster.

Glad the game was never a contest as it should keep them rested enough for the midweek CL game.

Apparently there is big news on the horizon about to be revelead by the echo in the early editions (11pmish)

I don't like the sound of that TBH.

Big news? Where did you hear that?

"These are the quotes in the Mail article:

Benitez said: "It is clear Mr Hicks wants the best for the club and we want the best for the club.

"Because we have been here for a long time, we know what passion means in football in Europe.

"We know what the transfer window market means, we know what it means to sign free - and I insist free - players now. I was not asking to spend money, I was asking to do things with free players.

"They know the manager needs to manage the squad and prepare the squad for this year and for the future.

"We had a meeting the day of the Arsenal game and the meeting was really positive.

"After that meeting, something changed. I tried to explain my ideas, but they said to me 'Rafa, keep focussing on coaching and training because Rick Parry will be in charge of buying and selling players'.

"I tried to explain to them and now, it is simple: they say, 'Keep focussed and Mr Parry will keep working in the transfer market'."

Last edited by a moderator:

So when will we hear this news? Monday morning? Surely if it was big news, it'd be out earlier than Monday?

No idea mate. Look at the BBC website fixture list?

Nothing too massive in today's papers. Mourinho linked with Liverpool job which is ridiculous anyway as he wouldn't want it and I doubt many fans want him.

Yes but Chris Bascombe wrote that article. And he is close to Rafa.

I'm hearing Rafa is fed up. I think all this criticism of the owners in the press could be an attempt to get sacked.

Mourninho is apparently negotiating with an English club. Now who would it be? Arsenal? No. United? No. Chelsea? erm no. Spurs? No. Birmingham? No.

Here is the article btw
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rafa will be axed
Mourinho tops Kop list
Exclusive by Chris Bascombe

RAFA BENITEZ will be sacked following his latest tirade against Liverpool owner Tom Hicks.
And former Kop hate-figure Jose Mourinho is the shock front runner to replace him.

Liverpool's American owners were already preparing to ditch the Spanish boss (left) after tiring of the constant behind-the-scenes bickering but this week's developments have sealed his fate.

It's now a matter of when not if the Spanish boss leaves Anfield and that's expected to be sooner rather than later.

Despite his epic Anfield bust-ups while at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho tops a wanted list already being assembled by the owners.

An approach will be made once Benitez's departure is confirmed.

The Portuguese boss may have his enemies on Merseyside, but he's recognised as one of the best and most sought after coaches in Europe.

Benitez showed no sign of ducking a fight with his hierarchy following yesterday's 3-0 win over Newcastle, despite knowing his job was on the line.

"It's clear Mr Hicks wants the best for the club. So do I," he said.

"We have been here for a long time and we know what the passion of football means and what the transfer market in Europe means.

"It's not a draft system. We have free players available now. I'm not talking about players that cost money.

"We need to talk to the agents now, if not we will lose targets. In the summer, the players will be more expensive. I have not been talking about spending but doing the opposite. We have brought money back. We brought in £26m this year and you can see the value of the squad.

"We had a meeting on the day of the Arsenal game which was really positive. After this, something changed."

They told me to be focused on coaching and training because Rick Parry will be looking after signing players."

Swing

Benitez won't walk away, adding: "I have passion for this club. The fans who were with me in Istanbul know what it means to me."

With no resignation on the horizon, Hicks (left) and Gillett are now ready to swing their axe regardless of Liverpool's league placing or Champions League progress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmmm........not a good sign. Would hate to have mourinho in charge, even if he is a top coach he's still a mouthy w@nker.

Hopefully the team can get through the CL groupstage as I can see that being a great oppertunity to sack him if they dont.

From what you can read it seems the americans are a bit clueless, or atleast thats what he is implying, about the transfer system. However if it is parry who is in charge of the transfers then whats the problem with the directors? Surely Rafa should be speaking to him about getting it done and letting him explain to the directors what the importance of it is. After all he can easily fly out to the states to discuss it while Rafa gets on with the team.

Also I find it a bit odd that they are looking at mourinho as a replacement due to rafa voicing his concerns in private as well as public. Surely Mourinho is even worse for this behaviour and demands, especially after getting lumped with scheva and ballack, to have total control over all affairs in the club. Something which seems to have been taken away from Rafa and is pissing him off.

Exactly what Tik said, Mourinho left Chelsea for a very similar situation to what is going on at Liverpool. I'm sorry but Mourinho has burnt bridges with Liverpool and their fans. He's not wanted here and I doubt he'd want to come here after the history he has. And would he want to come to a club where his hands are tied just like they were at Chelsea?

Mourinho wont manage in England for a long while, Italy or Spain is his next stop.

It would be a sad day for the football club if Rafa is forced out, what are these cowboys playing at!

No idea mate. Look at the BBC website fixture list?

Nothing too massive in today's papers. Mourinho linked with Liverpool job which is ridiculous anyway as he wouldn't want it and I doubt many fans want him.

It's Liverpool vs West Ham I think, but it's not listed on any fixture list Ive seen :shock:

I'd prefer Mourinho to Benitez ANY DAY. He understands the English league better in my opinion - c'mon he has won it twice already. Liverpool need the Premiership title more than any other trophy.

Mourinho won it by spending a fortune on buying a squad and working with that squad. Benitez has done incredibley well when you look at the rubbish he inherited and not having anywhere near the money Chelsea spent. It's now we'll start to see Benitez's real work ... if the board keep him.

I think benitez and mourinho are pretty close. Both have their qualities, Mourinho's being how close and tightknit he gets with the squad, benitez is tactically better. As for signings and the english league I dont think they are too different. Both have had good and bad signings in equal amounts and wereas Rafa's rotation has hindered the team early in the season Chelsea's squad has been so good that we could never catch up. Also the end of the season records are better for liverpool which do point to Rafa having the correct reasoning. We've beaten Chelsea in 3 semi's and lost a carling cup final in the last 10 minutes with an own goal. With chelsea having had the better squad in most of those matches its been down to tactics and fitness. Atleast this season, with a win in our game in hand, it means we are still very much near the top. We go up to second statistically at the moment. And also taking in to accoutn how poor we have been and how good arsenal have been those 6 points look a small deficit.

Hopefully he'll still be here at the end of the season to see if it works out.

Mourinho won it by spending a fortune on buying a squad and working with that squad. Benitez has done incredibley well when you look at the rubbish he inherited and not having anywhere near the money Chelsea spent. It's now we'll start to see Benitez's real work ... if the board keep him.

Ah c'mon mate - Benitez signed some of those shite players himself (Bellamy, Morientes etc). Mourinho had to put up with that Russian idiot sticking his nose in at every opportunity too. If I had to choose either Jose or Benitez to take over from Fergie at United it would be the Portugese man any day.

I think benitez and mourinho are pretty close. Both have their qualities, Mourinho's being how close and tightknit he gets with the squad, benitez is tactically better. As for signings and the english league I dont think they are too different. Both have had good and bad signings in equal amounts and wereas Rafa's rotation has hindered the team early in the season Chelsea's squad has been so good that we could never catch up. Also the end of the season records are better for liverpool which do point to Rafa having the correct reasoning. We've beaten Chelsea in 3 semi's and lost a carling cup final in the last 10 minutes with an own goal. With chelsea having had the better squad in most of those matches its been down to tactics and fitness. Atleast this season, with a win in our game in hand, it means we are still very much near the top. We go up to second statistically at the moment. And also taking in to accoutn how poor we have been and how good arsenal have been those 6 points look a small deficit.

Hopefully he'll still be here at the end of the season to see if it works out.

exactly.

now stevie we all know your a blue really but this takes the biscuit..:lol:

efc-3.jpg

haha yeah koolaje exactly, wasnt in these same "clueless americans" who gave you guys torres, babbel, benayoun, etc... i mean cmon. For one, do you guys think that someone who say owns an oil company knows how to actually refine oil? I doubt it... the owners needs to have good management in place, not a supreme knowledge of the football transfer market. As long as rick parry is doing his job, then you shouldnt have to worry about your owners...

Lots of reports spreading that Benitez will be sacked before the end of the season. Even a few stating he has walked out already!!

crazy stuff. Whats even crazier is apparently we are ebing linked with Tyrone Mears and Kenwyne Jones :lol:

Lots of reports spreading that Benitez will be sacked before the end of the season. Even a few stating he has walked out already!!

crazy stuff. Whats even crazier is apparently we are ebing linked with Tyrone Mears and Kenwyne Jones :lol:

Who? :shock:

I really hope these are just rumour, and Rafa and the owners sort it out. We are going to completely ruin our season, if Rafa gets the sack.

Last edited:

Great piece here:

The Setanta article:

Somehow, and by logic maybe only two loaded American businessmen understand, Rafa Benitez finds his position as Liverpool manager extremely precarious as we head into December.

Despite the fact Rafa's Reds have made their best Premier League start for years, co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks are threatening to play the role of Ebineezer Scrooge as the festive period approaches.

When Kopites wrote their Christmas lists a month ago, the majority would have asked for three points at Derby on Boxing Day and maybe the capture of Lionel Messi in their Christmas stockings. Now they merely hope Benitez will still be manager.

Here are three reasons why:

Master tactician:

When Gerard Houllier named his final team-sheet at the end of the 2003/04 season, it listed the following back four: Steve Finnan, Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia, John Arne Riise.

I know what you might be thinking. Those players are all still major factors in Liverpool’s squad of today, so Benitez inherited his good defence.

Wrong.

Remember that bandwagon that the less-educated sports pundit likes to jump aboard? You know, the one about zonal marking? I believe it was Rafa who introduced that at Anfield.

Indeed it is Rafa’s Liverpool who have broken club records for clean sheets kept in a season.

When was the last time they conceded from a set piece using this ‘dodgy’ zonal marking system? Seven months ago – when already 2-0 down at Arsenal. Let that bandwagon role on.

Signings:

Supposedly the reason causing the current bad blood in the Anfield boardroom, Benitez wants his bosses to move now to secure cheap bargains. They are not responding, telling him he has had enough money.

One might argue that, after splashing out £40 million in the summer, Liverpool’s co-owners have a point. But then how many times has Benitez actually wasted the shiny gold of the Anfield coffers on big-money signings?

Fernando Morientes? (£6.3m) Who would have predicted such a class player would not adapt to life in England? As a counter, who would have predicted £7 million Peter Crouch would be a bigger success?

Craig Bellamy? (£6m) Whether he was Liverpool class is debatable but the Wales international played a big part in helping Liverpool to a Champions League final – plus they recouped their £6 million outlay.

Now look at the successes of Benitez's big money captures: Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina, Luis Garcia.

Dirk Kuyt , Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel are also fashioning growing reputations.

Should the co-owners bow to Benitez’s demands? What reason have they got not to trust his judgement?

Unrivalled success:

Fast forward on from Houllier’s last game to 5th April 2005, Juventus at home, Champions League quarter final first leg.

Still with a squad barely showing the mark of Benitez, the Spaniard managed to mastermind a 2-1 victory over one of European football’s giants.

Why is this so significant? How many other managers could have coached a team including, Djimi Traore, Igor Biscan, Antonio Nunez, Anthony Le Tallec and Milan Baros to such a triumph?

It was one of several glorious European nights that season for Liverpool, as Benitez guided The Reds to their first European Cup in 21 years.

Two years and an FA Cup triumph later, Liverpool would return to another Champions League final, this time only to be undone by the cruellest of deflections.

But can he do it in The Premier League? 13 games unbeaten this season would suggest yes.

Liverpool also tend to finish the season stronger than their closest rivals under Benitez, thanks to another myth surrounding the much-maligned rotation system.

Last season The Reds amassed 37 points after the turn of the year, more than any other side. (Chelsea 36, Manchester United 36, Arsenal 32).

Bearing in mind Liverpool’s current game in hand over United, an identical run-in this season would see Benitez’s men finish second – a point behind The Gunners. An improved run-in sees the title return to Anfield.

Can he do it in The Premier League? I think so.

Do Kopites across the country agree? Let 45,000 of them give you a spine-tingling answer when they protest Benitez’s potential departure during Wednesday’s clash with Porto.

---------------

Sign here too - http://www.petitiononline.com/amg83ds/petition.html

Back
Top Bottom