Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I bet there wasnt that many Milanese there without tickets...

I dont think its all the scousers fault, far from it nut they seem most culpable, if uefa had fucked up that much surely there would have been more complaints from Milan...

To be fair though, I don't think there were as many Milan fans (as there were Liverpool fans) who were willing to go to Athens.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a cuss to the fans of Milan or other clubs, but LFC should be proud to have fans who will be willing to spend a small fortune to watch 90 minutes.

When desperation comes, people will be willing to go through many alleys to get their hands on tickets. Along with desperation, you unfortunately get scammers too :(

UEFA should be thinking about this with a bit more empathy. Here you have people with legal tickets not being let into the grounds, of course they are gonna be rowdy. With UEFA charging more than ever for tickets, surely they should look into using sophisticated technologies such as RFID to lower the chance of counterfeiting?!

UEFA are purely to be blamed for this. You can't blame supporters for you yourself have the inability to run a world event :roll:

Last edited:

To be fair though, I don't think there were as many Milan fans (as there were Liverpool fans) who were willing to go to Athens.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a cuss to the fans of Milan or other clubs, but LFC should be proud to have fans who will be willing to spend a small fortune to watch 90 minutes.

When desperation comes, people will be willing to go through many alleys to get their hands on tickets. Along with desperation, you unfortunately get scammers too :(

UEFA should be thinking about this with a bit more empathy. Here you have people with legal tickets not being let into the grounds, of course they are gonna be rowdy. With UEFA charging more than ever for tickets, surely they should look into using sophisticated technologies such as RFID to lower the chance of counterfeiting?!

UEFA are purely to be blamed for this. You can't blame supporters for you yourself have the inability to run a world event :roll:

Very true - its scandalous what was said in the papers today about Liverpool Fans. UEFA need to take responsibility and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has signed a new deal with the club.
The 25-year-old Spaniard, who had been linked with a move away from Anfield, has put pen to paper on a contract that runs for five more years until 2012.

"I knew there was interest from other clubs but it was always my idea to stay here. It's a special club and I just didn't want to leave," said Alonso.

He is the fourth Red to sign a new deal after Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and compatriot Pepe Reina.

"It's also good news to see that other players have signed new contracts this week," added Alonso.

"Stevie, Carra and Pepe are all big players for us and it's great they have all shown their commitment.

"I'm sure the manager will be bringing in new players as well and that the new owners will be making a big effort to improve the squad.

"We can achieve big things and hopefully we won't make the same mistakes next season as we did last season. We want to be challenging the top teams."

Alonso, who signed for Liverpool in a £10.5m deal from Real Sociedad in August 2004, had been linked with a return to Spain and Barcelona.

Speculation also suggested a move to Juventus could be on the cards, particularly with his place in the team under threat following the January arrival of Javier Mascherano.

But Alonso is up for the challenge of battling the Argentine for a midfield role on Merseyside.

"It's great to have competition and I'm ready to fight for my place," he added.

"The more top-quality players we have then the better the level of the team will be and I'm confident I can play a lot of minutes on the pitch and keep the confidence of the manager."

After securing Alonso's services, the Champions League finalists will now turn their attentions to Steve Finnan and Mohamed Sissoko.

The pair are expected to sign five-year extensions over the weekend.

vanizzle said:
I bet there wasnt that many Milanese there without tickets...

Well when they send 5.000 of their allocation back to uefa its not surprising.

Anyway atleast platini has said its incorrect from gaillard. And a club, liverpool, can only have so much control over their fans. What are they to do? Nobody without a liverpool ticket can travel to greece....seeing as people from all over the world support liverpool and are willing to travel to the final should they close all the airports? Its impossible. And with how istanbul went; great atmosphere, no problems, award for the fans' behaviour in making it a great final both in the stadium aswell as out of it, its not unreasonable that they accepted that there would be far more fans then tickets. The majority of fans went there in the hope to maybe get a ticket and if not enjoy the atmosphere in the city the final was being held. Same as instanbul, there are always gonna be a minority of tossers that will do/try anything to get their way and its the organisation that is responsible to combat this. Liverpool already warned them about the possible problems and consequences of not doing it properly and they were, sadly, proved correct. So who's to blame here? People are generally idiots and when you have responsiblity you have to plan with this in mind. They didnt do it properly and its ended up being a mess. And to make matter worse he goes and places the blame fully on liverpool and its fans, blatently stupid and a clear attempt to deflect their share of blame. And anyone with a objective view can see that.

Last edited:

Some good signings this week, alonso, gerrard, carra, reina. Hopefully get some decent player in aswell, hicks said there would be some activity next week which is promosing.

Still not convinced that you can attract the really big stars. It's only Chelsea that have really managed that in England with maybe Man Utd doing it with Veron. You have to pay silly money for wages and I'm not sure you'll do that. We'll see though.

Well the bookies have stopped taking bets on henry coming to Liverpool, I would love us to get him but i very much doubt it

Why on earth do Liverpool want Benayoun? Granted, a decent player, but nowhere near the quality they should be aiming for.

Why on earth do Liverpool want Benayoun? Granted, a decent player, but nowhere near the quality they should be aiming for.

Exactly, Rafa really does me head in sometimes with his peculiar targets, we need 2/3 solid attacking additions to the first team and we're set, no more mediocre squad fillers.

Exactly, Rafa really does me head in sometimes with his peculiar targets, we need 2/3 solid attacking additions to the first team and we're set, no more mediocre squad fillers.

Or maybe this is just the curtain-opener? Somebody bigger is coming up after him? He's a playmaker and quite skilled, but not the class of Simao or Joaquin (what happened to him?). I think they're under pressure to reveal something about the transfer activity, either by the media or by the fans alike.

Or maybe this is just the curtain-opener? Somebody bigger is coming up after him? He's a playmaker and quite skilled, but not the class of Simao or Joaquin (what happened to him?). I think they're under pressure to reveal something about the transfer activity, either by the media or by the fans alike.

I'd rather wait to be honest than buy someone for the sake of keeping the media/fans happy, Benayoun is very average he gets by on nutmegging his opponent more than once by faking a shot then going the other way and vice versa, we've already got a similar type of player who is head & shoulders above him. We need solid established players to improve the first eleven we could start by getting Malouda signed up, that would be a huge step in the right direction. You might be right as in we'll get better players afterwards but we really only need about 4 new additions and wasting £3m to £5m on a no-mark squad player rather than adding it towards a better player does not make sense.

You might be right as in we'll get better players afterwards but we really only need about 4 new additions and wasting £3m to £5m on a no-mark squad player rather than adding it towards a better player does not make sense.

Hasnt that been lfc's transfer policy for the past 15 years.....

according to france football, Malouda is joining chelsea. price will be agreed this weekend.

pathetic £10m offer and you expect lyon to sell. Time to get real!!

I was walking past the chemist this morning and there was a notice in the window. It said 'FREE Liverpool season ticket - first to ask gets it as I am moving abroad'. I went in thinking I could make some money from it and went up to the pretty shop assistant ready to ask her for it... but in the end, I was too embarrassed and bought some condoms instead.

Fernando Torres,Diego Milito or Gabriel Milito?

another three players you wont sign....

get real lfc fans, its another season of couch, pennant and other quality players rafa has blown millions on and made no progress, the yanks arent gonna give him as much money as he wants...

barcelona v arsenal, played in paris with very tight security, not sure about barca but arsenal travelled in large numbers but weren't allowed anywhere near the stadium without a ticket

Just want to correct you here, I went to the match and the only time they were checking tickets was at the turnstile. The organisation was poor because the queueing lines we a free for all but at the end of the day everyone who was queueing had a ticket! Unlike you lot.

We only had an allocation of 22,000 and there were estimated to be over 60,000 gooners in Paris.

get real lfc fans, its another season of couch, pennant and other quality players rafa has blown millions on and made no progress, the yanks arent gonna give him as much money as he wants...

I know you mancs aren't the brightest of species but I have to correct you on a few things. Rafa does NOT blow millions like your led to believe, you can find his overall expenditure here:

http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=1
http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=0

His net outlay is £45.4m so far, he's got us to 2 European finals (more appearances than a certain slur drunkard in 20 years), picked up a domestic trophy on the way, bought in players like Reina, Agger, Garcia, Sissoko, Mascherano & Alonso all of whom (except Xabi, £10.7m) cost under £10m. Your telling me in this day an age given the squad he inherited that any other manager would have achieved the same success on the same budget? No chance fashizzal'manizzal and if the yanks are good to their word and back Rafa you and the rentboys are in trouble, just image what he's capable of with the same budget as whiskey nose & moaninghoe. If your going to come back at me with shite examples like Diouf, Diao, Cisse etc. You know those were Houlliers signings and yes Houllier was a waster not Rafa.

Last edited:

I know you mancs aren't the brightest of species but I have to correct you on a few things. Rafa does NOT blow millions like your led to believe, you can find his overall expenditure here:

http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=1
http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=0

His net outlay is £45.4m so far, he's got us to 2 European finals (more appearances than a certain slur drunkard in 20 years), picked up a domestic trophy on the way, bought in players like Reina, Agger, Garcia, Sissoko, Mascherano & Alonso all of whom (except Xabi, £10.7m) cost under £10m. Your telling me in this day an age given the squad he inherited that any other manager would have achieved the same success on the same budget? No chance fashizzal'manizzal and if the yanks are good to their word and back Rafa you and the rentboys are in trouble, just image what he's capable of with the same budget as whiskey nose & moaninghoe. If your going to come back at me with shite examples like Diouf, Diao, Cisse etc. You know those were Houlliers signings and yes Houllier was a waster not Rafa.

are you seriously using sissiko, agger, gracia and reina as examples?!?!?!? I mean i think there is something to your results in europe, but i think its because of the great team concept rafa brings to the table, not the players he has bought... BTW how much did ronaldo cost United? Evra? Park? Vidic?

are you seriously using sissiko, agger, gracia and reina as examples?!?!?!? I mean i think there is something to your results in europe, but i think its because of the great team concept rafa brings to the table, not the players he has bought... BTW how much did ronaldo cost United? Evra? Park? Vidic?

total bollocks which is nothing less than i expect from mancs

don't get your point with sissoko, agger, garcia & reina, they've what we've been able to bring in with the funds available, all of them under £10m

reina at 24 has a very bright future, 55 clean sheets in his first 100 games (total record is 56 in 104) is better than ray clemence's record playing in a far superior team, if he was at chelsea or the mancs there'd be a wankfest in the media over him, instead he gets very little credit outide of liverpool and you get retards like andy gray coming out with shite like anybody could play in goal behind our defence

same for daniel agger, he's made mistakes but is still learning but i've seen enough already to think that barring serious injury or a major drop in confidence/form he'll be at the heart of our defence for the next 10 years which is a bargain at under £6m

sissoko is a fucking beast, he'll never be the greatest footballer in the world but when we need to play a high tempo game closing the opposition down quickly there's not many better, his 2 performances against barcelona were outstanding and is something united could've done with against milan, just a shame he's suffered 2 bad injuries over the past 2 seasons which've slowed his development

garcia has been inconsistent but was needed to bolster the shambles of a squad that rafa inherited, he's scored some vital goals and i doubt we'd have won the european cup without him and has been missed since he got injured in january so no complaints at around £6m

rolnaldo cost just over £12m i think, £8m more than we were offered him for only 10 days earlier, vidic and evra have both been good value and park has been ok but the difference with united has been the players that came through the youth system all around the same time in the mid 90's, they're coming towards the end of their careers and will be difficult to replace, add to that the money united have been able to spend, so far this summer united have signed 3 players, one who cost the same as our transfer record and 2 more who cost more, in the past they've been able to spend more on individual players than we have so it's no suprise that results are better

league results haven't been great under benitez but during his first seasn we suffered injuries that would've caused any team problems, his 2nd season was a big improvement finishing 9 points behind the champions, we weren't a million miles away and off the top of my head i can remember games against 'boro and charlton where we dominated and created chance after chance but failed to score, both finished 0-0, a 1-1 draw against birmingham where we threw away the lead late on and losing 1-0 at old trafford to a last minute goal, thats 7 points which would've put us in touching distance and i'm sure if i look back over the fixters there's more where we were unfortunate, i'm sure the mancs can look back at games that season and say the same such is the fine line between success and failure

last season was poor but i can't help but feel our final points tally was slightly skewed, after we knocked barcelona out of the european cup we went almost into free fall in the league, the players were definately focusing on just one competition and the weakened teams we put out towards the end didn't help things much, us and arsenal were really never in danger of finishing outside the top 4, maybe if spurs hadn't had such a poor start to the season then there would've been another team pushing us which would've given us the kick up the arse we needed over the last couple of months of the season, we definatly should've finished 10-12 points better off than we did

the "want everything now" attitude of modern football fans pisses me right off, how many united supporters on here remember the majority of united's support wanting slur exlax out during his 4th season? i was at old trafford in march 1990 and although united were in the fa cup semis they were still calling for his head, 3 seasons later they won the league and haven't looked back, benitez inherited a shambles of a squad which needed massive rebuilding so the funds have never been there to splash out £20m plus on individual players, what he has achieved in his first 3 seasons has been fantasic considering the amount of work he's had to put in

benitez isn't beyond criticism though, i think he's not positive enough away from anfield, the majority of this league is technically shite and i think he shouldn't give a fuck about what other teams are going to do, just send the players out intending to steamroller the opposition, it's what united do and i think that has created an air of fear about them where teams go out against them expecting to lose, we certainly don't have that and the big games aside i think it's something that plays a big part

imo we're not a million miles away with the squad we have now, i don't think we need to or will go splashing stupid money on megastars, what we really need is one or two players with the right mentality

dont be so touchy i'm only stating the obvious, Rafa has spent nearly £90mill, the fact he recouped £40 odd mill is irelevant, he couldnt have kept all the players on the books...

for that £90 mill he won lfc's first major trophy in well over a decade, fair enough a great achievement, but has still not made a decent challenge in the league, infact he finished further behind The Champions this year than he did last...

the yanks dont seem to eager on flashing the cash as yet, but im sure i'll be proved wrong...

Back
Top Bottom