Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

How would you lot feel if this Gillet guy took over ?, all that piss taking some Liverpool fans gave to United about Glazer taking over would really come back to shut them up!
I would feel the same way you felt....crappy at the thought of my beloved club selling for the money....

Looks like DIC have pulled out. Call me a bigot, but I'd rarther an American business man has control of the club than an Arab royal family with a rather merky past.

I will call you a bigot :roll:

I don't agree with their businesses (horse racing - a source of gambling) but I've been told that they have been v dedicated to their investments. If anything, I'd rather worry about Gillette who are more likely looking at making a quick buck with their investment.

I don't agree with their businesses (horse racing - a source of gambling) but I've been told that they have been v dedicated to their investments. If anything, I'd rather worry about Gillette who are more likely looking at making a quick buck with their investment.

well now, YOU just turned into bigot, what all americans care about is making a quick buck.... yeah and thats what the glazers did, they are running manu into the ground so they can make a quick buck, not allowing manu to buy expensive players, cheap ones like carrick, or sign any older world class players on loan, or offer 33 million for owen hargreaves, and then lets look at villa, they arent allowed to spend 8.1 million on a young player either(no pun intended), they are going to be relegated as well, cause the americans just want to make a quick buck and run them into the ground, just look at manu, the season is over for them and they might not make the champions league, damn americans and there quick bucks, :( end of sarcasim, bigot

Last edited:

Yea...funnily enough, I realised the irony of my post after I posted it... Soz if it had offended you mate.

The Glazer deal still looks a bit iffy due to the sheer extent of the funds that had to be borrowed to finance the deal. If things had gone all pear shaped and the signings turn out to flop, Man U would now have been dealing with a bigger problem with debts.

but yea, I'll stick by what I said in LFC missing out big time with DIC. There were plenty of promises especially regarding the stadium and future finances. With the Gillet deal, I can see the only benefit going to the Board....

To further what I'm saying, check this excerpt out taken from Anfield Road:

Just to add more confusion to the situation, the Echo says that Northern Ireland entrepreneur John Miskelly has re-entered the arena. Miskelly owns an executive box at the club, and had a bid of £220m turned down in November. This figure was made up of £140m for his valuation of the club, £50m towards the new stadium and £30m as a transfer fund. The Echo says he went to the club accountants to remind them that his offer is still open.

Continuing with the spirit of leaks, a “source close to Miskelly” told the paper that, “John has put a real offer on the table. He is a staunch fan with a hugely successful background who wants to be taken seriously as someone who can take the club forward. He has stayed in the background so far, and as a fan was happy with the DIC bid.”

The source had an interesting observation about how Miskelly was looking at Gillett’s offer: “What’s confusing to him now is why anyone would pay £5,000 a share for Liverpool when the next offer is £4,000 a share? Surely it would make more sense to make a lower bid and invest the rest in the club and the team? Those who’ve seen the books know this is an overvaluation of the club, which is why we’d question the motives and like to be considered as a viable alternative.”

http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/latest/2007102/a10211640b.html

and the child slaves....

I don't agree with child servants but it is a common thing in other countries and cultures. Unfortunate is the case, if the kids aren't working as servants, they'll most likely be stealing or living in poverty - such is the economic problems in those countries.

....unless you are talking about children working in sweatshop conditions, then that shouldn't be justified at all. Likewise, if that is the case, LFC should refrain from dealing with Adidas (or most other sportswear giants) knowing full well about their child labour past - i.e. child slavery is a lame excuse for dismissing the DIC bid

Yea...funnily enough, I realised the irony of my post after I posted it... Soz if it had offended you mate.

The Glazer deal still looks a bit iffy due to the sheer extent of the funds that had to be borrowed to finance the deal. If things had gone all pear shaped and the signings turn out to flop, Man U would now have been dealing with a bigger problem with debts.

but yea, I'll stick by what I said in LFC missing out big time with DIC. There were plenty of promises especially regarding the stadium and future finances. With the Gillet deal, I can see the only benefit going to the Board....

To further what I'm saying, check this excerpt out taken from Anfield Road:

http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/latest/2007102/a10211640b.html

yeah but this was the same type of talk about the glazers..

Gillet owns the Montreal Canadians, the most storied franchise in proffessional hockey. The guy is a sports fan, period. I wouldnt worry about it mate!

Shame about the result but reading this cheered me up, pretty much what we all think though ;)

BENITEZ BRANDS EVERTON 'SMALL TEAM'

It may have been the bitter frustration at probably seeing runners-up spot disappear but when Rafael Benitez described Everton as a "small team" he uttered a remark that will haunt him all his days as Liverpool manager.

Benitez, frustrated by what he perceived as negative tactics from the Blues, first said it in a TV interview, and then repeated it in the media conference.

Given the opportunity to explain he said: "After a game when a team comes to Anfield and plays a top side like that, looking for a draw, what else can you call them?"

Everton, who beat Liverpool 3-0 with a display of pace and skill at Goodison Park in September, made it four points out of six against their nearest neighbours with a performance this time of tenacity, bravery and sheer hard graft.

Those lost four points could well end Liverpool's dreams of catching Chelsea and taking the runners-up spot, but it is Benitez's perceived put-down of the men from across Stanley Park that will live longer in the memory than this match.

Benitez said: "Playing against a small team it is not always easy when they have nine men behind the ball. One team wanted to win while one team came not to lose.

"We controlled the game and had all the possession, and they had one chance from our mistake. After that we controlled everything."

The Spaniard's grasp of English may not provide him with the subtlety needed in such circumstances but Everton and their fans will be offended by the "small team" remark.

Blues chief executive Keith Wyness walked down the steps from the directors' box muttering about the implied insult, and in this city with such rivalry, it was a word Everton will never let Liverpool forget.

The one Everton chance Benitez referred to came on the hour to Andrew Johnson, surprisingly fit to play after a bad ankle injury. He will be joining up with England, confirmed boss David Moyes.

He would have gone to join his England colleagues in higher spirits had he put away an effort, from a Steve Finnan error, that saw him have two shots in the box, the second superbly saved by Jose Reina.

Benitez admitted to being very disappointed with the result, saying: "We had possession, passing, three strikers and Jermaine Pennant and John Arne Riise wide to provide crosses.

"We were doing a lot of things right and were attacking all the time."

But despite all the time Liverpool spent in Everton's half, Toffees 'keeper Tim Howard had very few genuine saves to make.

He held powerful drives from Xabi Alonso and Dirk Kuyt, but in front of him Alan Stubbs, Joseph Yobo and Joleon Lescott dealt superbly with the barrage of crosses.

Moyes said: "It was a job well done, and it is hard to come to Anfield with the form Liverpool are in and get anything. Chelsea found that when they lost here last month.

"We limited them to crosses and long shot, and my defenders were outstanding."

Confronted with Benitez's "small team" jibe, Moyes hit back, saying: "I would like to have come to Anfield and put on a bigger show, but there is a £100m gap between the clubs.

"It is a massive gulf in the amount of money they have spent on their squad and us on ours. We are looking to bridge that gap but we have taken four points from them this season, so we must be doing something right.

"And we could have won this. I have had a look at Johnson's chance on the TV and he did superbly to get into the right position, and on any other day that shot would have got past the keeper.

"It was a gamble putting Andy into this game after his injury and such a short time for treatment, and maybe if he had been fully fit he would have scored with that effort.

"But I can't be happier with my team, they fought and worked all through the game and restricted a very good side to barely any clear-cut chances."

hhhm frustrating day. Everton were overly negative and we were poor and couldnt use the possesion we had. one to forget.

Whilst i dont really agree with benitez saying this in public, Everton cant really complain. Theres outcry now at what he's said yet it was only prior to kick off i heard moyes talking about the gulf between the two clubs in regards to finance and players. So which is it David?

Not to mention bill kenwright on the radio gushing with pride over a nil nil draw, yes a draw!

And this is the club that brought out a 90 minute dvd for the 3-0 win.

Talk about parking the bus infront of the goal...

Also Moyes saying it was a great result...ginger c*nt!

Haha why don't you look at your manager the fat Spanish waiter. He called us a small time club and he knows nothing about our History.

Obviously the clubs have had their differences in their years so a Derby win will be a more special result to us.

We may be a smaller club, but were not a small time club.

What are ya' on about? You are a small club don't contradict yourself your team just like the majority of others come to Anfield, Old toilet, Emirates etc. and park the bus in hope for a 0-0. It worked - well done, the onus was on us to break you down, you could and probably should have even nicked it at the end with Andy Bastard. Rafa’s just stating a fact I don’t see what the up-roar is all about.

...Oh yeah’ before I forget, when's your “We didn't lose to Liverpool season 06/07 DVD” coming out? And will it be cheaper at Tescos?

Sour grapes my Liverpool friends? The 'smaller' club picked up 4 points out of 6 this season where as the 'bigger' club only picked up ONE. 3-0 to Everton on aggregate. Well done Toffees!

I don't think Everton are a small club, they are relatively small at the moment, but remember a few seasons ago they finished 4th, and that was a massive achievement.

I think Benitez was just frustrated with the result, and the nature of the match. But much of that was also down to our lack of creativity on the day.

I don't think Everton are a small club, they are relatively small at the moment, but remember a few seasons ago they finished 4th, and that was a massive achievement.

Your contradicting yourself there peter, for them it was massive achievement, as it is for most of the prem teams, for liverpool and the rest of the top 4 its the minimum expected. That already shows that they belong to the 'small' teams section of the prem, releasing a we won 3-0 dvd only heighlights it.

Your contradicting yourself there peter, for them it was massive achievement, as it is for most of the prem teams, for liverpool and the rest of the top 4 its the minimum expected. That already shows that they belong to the 'small' teams section of the prem, releasing a we won 3-0 dvd only heighlights it.

yes, like I said, they are small atm, however they have a great history and have had some fantastic players in their team.

Back
Top Bottom