Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I dont see Macschareno (excuse the sppeling) as the best buy they could have made. But so far every player Benitez has bought has proved themselves... except for Josemi:lol: ..he was OK... but didnt fit in with the bigger scheme of things. I would have loved to see Rafa buy a quality GK as backup for Reina... and I hope he does buy a someone in the summer. The youngster from Sampdoria will take a while to break into the first team. But Dudek needs to go... and then we can bring in Maarten Stekelenburg. Yayyyy:lmao:

i hope moores will agree with the DIC takeover...n hopefully he'll reject Gillet's offer...coz i don wanna share our stadium with the scum..:mrgreen:

I agree with you, but it looks like Moores will go with DIC.... the offer is a much better offer. At least if they take the DIC offer then we can move to the new stadium by the start of the 2008 season... buts that all speculation at the moment. I will very sad to see us leave Anfield and the Kop..... but if they sell of pieces of the Anfield pitch like they did with Highbury... I will buy a piece of the history...

I would like to start a little discussion (sorry if it has been discussed before): Who is your all time favourite Liverpool squad. You can mix and match players from different teams. I will start it off:

GK - Ray Clemence
DF - Alan Hansen
DF - Phil Thompson
DF - Jamie Carragher
DF - Phil Neal
MF - Kevin Keegan
MF - John Barnes
MF - Steven Gerrard
MF - Emlyn Hughes (i am sure he was a midfielder - but he scored lots of goals)
ST - Kenny Dalglish
ST - Ian Rush

Some other greats worth mentioning Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Dean Saunders, Steve Nicholl, Jan Molby and definitely Jamie Redknapp and Steve McMannaman... I could go on.... but thats my faves

Last edited:

But so far every player Benitez has bought has proved themselves... except for Josemi:lol: ..he was OK... but didnt fit in with the bigger scheme of things.

Josemi...Pellegrino...Morientes...Nunez...Kromkamp...

lol

But look where they all are now :) Thats what I like best about Rafa, he isnt prepared to keep shit players for long. He will just ship them out :)

PS. How good were our two goals yesterday :D

The second one was such a good move.

Josemi...Pellegrino...Morientes...Nunez...Kromkamp...

lol

But look where they all are now :) Thats what I like best about Rafa, he isnt prepared to keep shit players for long. He will just ship them out :)

PS. How good were our two goals yesterday :D

The second one was such a good move.

Forgot that Pellegrino even played for us:lmao: Morientes wasn't that bad, but he is a spanish player and he couldn't play the English game. Nunez was injured most of the time, so he never really had a chance to prove himself. But he is a good player. Kromkamp was a pretty boy who was more worried about his image then playing footy. But he seems to doing okay at PSV now.... but you're right... If you cant keep up at LFC then pack up and go.

As for the goals.... Kuyt's was a beauty... and the build-up to the second goal was brilliant... 6 moves in total from our defence to the back of Hammer's net. Absolutely Brilliant.

Last edited:

I guess we can feel optimistic about the future now
with new arrivals coming in today(?), plus Sissoko
back to full fitness and Kewell to be back in few
weeks will only help our cause.

Quality finishing last night, that's double figures for
Kuyt it looks like it will be 20/20 for him this season.

I guess we can feel optimistic about the future now
with new arrivals coming in today(?), plus Sissoko
back to full fitness and Kewell to be back in few
weeks will only help our cause.

Quality finishing last night, that's double figures for
Kuyt it looks like it will be 20/20 for him this season.

Dont forget Zenden as well. We are gonna have a really good squad for the game against Everton. Cant wait. I predict a 1-0 win the Reds

LFC RECORDS

Appearances
Most first team appearances Ian Callaghan (857)
Most League appearances Ian Callaghan (640)
Most FA Cup appearances Ian Callaghan (79)
Most League Cup appearances Ian Rush (78)
Most European appearances Ian Callaghan (89)
Oldest player Ted Doig, 41 yrs & 165 days v Newcastle United (A), 11 April 1908
Youngest player Max Thompson, 17 yrs & 129 days v Tottenham Hotspur (a) 8 May 1974
Most seasons as an ever-present Phil Neal (9)
Most consecutive appearances Phil Neal (417) 23 October 1976 to 24 September 1983
Longest serving player Elisha Scott – 21 yrs & 52 days: 1913 to 1934
Oldest debutant Ted Doig, 37 yrs & 307 days v Burton U (H) 1 September 1904

Goals
Most first team goals Ian Rush (346)
Most League goals Roger Hunt (245)
Most FA Cup goals Ian Rush (39)
Most League Cup goals Ian Rush (48)
Most European goals Michael Owen (22)
Highest scoring substitute David Fairclough (18)
Most hat-tricks Gordon Hodgson (17)
Most hat-tricks in a season Roger Hunt (5 in 1961-62)
Most penalties scored Jan Molby (42)
Most games without scoring Ephraim Longworth (371)
Youngest goalscorer Michael Owen, 17 yrs & 144 days v Wimbledon (a) 6 May 1997
Oldest goalscorer Billy Liddell, 38 yrs & 55 days V Stoke City (h) 5 March 1960

Internationals
Most capped player Ian Rush (67) with Wales
Most international goals Ian Rush (26)

Honours
Most medals Phil Neal (20)

Matches
Record victory 11-0 v Stromgodset
Record defeat 1-9 v Birmingham City

Transfer Fees
Record transfer fee paid £14 million for Djibril Cisse
Record transfer fee received £12.5 million for Robbie Fowler

Attendances
Highest League attendance: 58,757 v Chelsea, 1949/50
Highest FA Cup attendance 61,905 v Wolves, 1951/52 fifth round
Highest League Cup attendance 50,880 v Nottingham Forest, 1979/80 semi-final 2nd leg
Highest European attendance 55,104 v Barcelona, 1975/76 UEFA Cup semi-final 2nd leg
Lowest League attendance 1,000 v Loughborough Town on 7 December 1895
Lowest League attendance (post-war) 11,976 against Scunthorpe United for a Division 2 game on 22 April 1959
Lowest FA Cup attendance 4,000 v Newton on 29 October 1892 2nd Qualifying Round
Lowest FA Cup attendance (post-war) 11,207 v Chester City, 1945-46 3rd rd 2nd leg
Lowest League Cup attendance 9,902 v Brentford, 1983/84 2nd rd, 2nd leg
Lowest European attendance 12,021 v Dundalk, 1982/83 European Cup 1st rd, 1st leg
Record highest attendance 61,905 v Wolves, 1951/52 FA Cup fifth round
Record lowest attendance 1,000 against Loughborough Town on 7 December 1895

HONOURS
League Champions 18
1900-01 1905-06 1921-22 1922-23 1946-47
1963-64 1965-66 1972-73 1975-76 1976-77
1978-79 1979-80 1981-82 1982-83 1983-84
1985-86 1987-88 1989-90

Division Two Winners 4
1893-94 1895-96 1904-05 1961-62

Lancashire League Winners 1
1892-93

Football Association Challenge Cup Winners 7
1964-65 1973-74 1985-86 1988-89 1991-92
2000-01 2005-06

League Cup Winners 7
1980-81 1981-82 1982-83 1983-84 1994-95
2000-01 2002-03

Football Association Charity Shield Winners 15
1964* 1965* 1966 1974 1976
1977* 1979 1980 1982 1986*
1988 1989 1990* 2001 2006
( * shared)

European Cup Winners 5
1976-77 1977-78 1980-81 1983-84 2004-05

UEFA Cup Winners 3
1972-73 1975-76 2000-01

European Super Cup Winners 3
1977 2001 2005

Super Cup Winners 1
1985-86

Carlsberg Trophy 3
1997-98 1998-99 1999-2000

Reserves Division One Winners 16
1956-57 1968-69 1969-70 1970-71 1972-73
1973-74 1974-75 1975-76 1976-77 1978-79
1980-81 1981-82 1983-84 1984-85 1989-90
1999-2000

FA Youth Cup Winners 2
1995-96 2005-06

Last edited:

Think mascherano will do ok at liverpool, half the team speaks spanish anyway so settling in shouldnt be a prob, and playing for a big team should give the right incentive to do well. Not sure how serious either of them were/are about westham as the deal seems a bit dodgy with the player owners/contractholders trying to own westham earlier in the season aswell.

Article Taken From Teamtalk.com

Liverpool board want more time

The takeover of Liverpool has been thrown into confusion after the board chose not to formally accept a bid from Dubai International Capital.

The board, under chairman and owner David Moores, met in London ahead of Tuesday's Premiership game at West Ham to consider the second bid from George Gillett - the owner of Montreal Canadians ice hockey team.

And it is believed the Reds directors decided they needed more time to make a decision.

That, though, is expected to come by the end of the week, with the board accepting that they cannot delay any longer, with the need to start work on the club's new stadium in Stanley Park in March.

The Liverpool board's lack of a decisive move has surprised DIC, who have completed due diligence and want to make their formal bid, via the Stock Exchange, for Moores' 51.6% majority shareholding early next week.

They believed Moores was in favour of a bid which would have given the club's chairman £80million at £4,500 a share.

Gillett's original offer had been rejected before Christmas, but last week he submitted a new offer by letter to Moores which in effect upped the bid to give Moores £88million for his holding.

It is believed there are other board members - including representatives from Granada, who own 10% of the club - who also want to think again about Gillett's terms.

A DIC source said: "We have worked very hard over a long period with Liverpool to come up with the best possible offer for shareholders and for the long term of the club.

"Our deal is not just about buying some shares, it is about financing the stadium, getting the stadium built and making money available for players.

"We hope to make our formal offer very soon, and think it is an offer for everyone, not least one the supporters will be happy with."

Whether Moores has had a change of heart is uncertain, but DIC believed he supported their bid because it took into account the plans drawn up for the regeneration of the Anfield area and the fact the stadium would not be shared with Everton.

But Gillett is believed to favour reopening that debate, and if that happens it would effect carefully constructed planning applications.

DIC were expected to have leading officials at Anfield on Saturday for the Mersey derby with Everton, where the deal would have been confirmed.

An announcement to the Stock Exchange next week would have paved the way to a complete buy-out.

Only last week Liverpool sources talked of concluding a deal with DIC "within weeks" and that Gillett's own legally allowed due diligence "didn't really matter," and the club "would continue to work with DIC."

Moores, it was believed, had reached agreement with DIC - the investment arm of the Dubai government - on a deal which would see them purchase shares for around £155million, assume £80million of debt and fund a new 60,000-seater stadium.

In the end, with Moores holding the majority holding, it is only his decision which will decide the future of the club - and Liverpool fans will now await that decision with interest.

Mascherano, Sissoko, Alonso & Gerrard - That's a boss midfield!
...Now only for the FA to mess things up and deny Mascherano the move.

I don't think Mascherano, Sissoko and Alonso should play together though.....we need more width! :(

That's not what I meant mate :) I agree Rafa will mix and match with his "possibilities" it would be a rare occurrence if he played them all at once unless Rafa has a new formation up his sleeve.

Nah he'll be alright at Liverpool and hes on loan too so no big gamble.

Hes a quality player, no doubt.

That's cool, but I want him to play his way in to the first team, not to just walk straight in. The wonderful Xabi is playing as our DM at the moment, and Mascherano will have to play exceptionally well to put him out of the team.

I hope Rafa doesn't just put Gerrard out on the right again. I'll be pissed off if he does.

Alonso hasn't been upto his usual standards this season. Maybe the competition is needed?

I still don't understand why people continue to say that Gerrard didn't work on the right. I still stick by my memories that some of Gerrard's best games have been with him playing on the right and moving in during attack.

Looks like DIC have pulled out. Call me a bigot, but I'd rarther an American business man has control of the club than an Arab royal family with a rather merky past.

I do not want to share a ground with Everton though. No way, Jose.

Good point.
But then again, we'd have to travel to that dump atleast twice a year.

If you read the article, DIC's main interest is to take over our 88million pound debt and to finance the new stadium and provide money for new players. They have a more long term plan. Gillet justs wants to take over the debt and buy out Moore's Shares. I would rather have DIC. But hey thats just my own opinion. DIC will give leave Rafa to do his job. I just have this funny feeling that Gillet will want to come in and make drastic decisions for Rafa.... and that wont be good.:(

DIC end Liverpool takeover talks
The Dubai International Capital investment group have pulled out of a takeover of Liverpool after the club failed to formally accept their bid.

The group, owned by the Dubai government, had been examining the club's books with a view to a £156million buy-out.

And their decision to withdraw comes after the Liverpool board stalled over DIC's offer on Tuesday night, following a rival bid by American billionaire George Gillett.

A statement read: "Dubai International Capital LLC today announces that it has decided to end negotiations with Liverpool FC & Athletic Grounds plc about a possible investment in the club.

"Having completed due diligence, DIC submitted a comprehensive offer to the Liverpool board.

"The offer had been accepted in principle by majority shareholder David Moores. It appears that the Liverpool board and the majority shareholder David Moores were unable to approve these terms in order to allow DIC to make a formal offer to all shareholders."

The news prolongs Liverpool's long search for the outside investment they believe they need to compete at the top end of the Premiership and in Europe.

DIC had been their most likely suitor and entered into discussions with the club late last year.

The deal would have valued the club at £450million but the Dubai group have decided to withdraw following the board's decision to allow more time to consider the Gillett bid.

Gillett, owner of the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team, has proposed a deal which is thought to offer shareholders more for their holdings.

Sameer Al Ansari, executive chairman and chief executive officer of DIC, said: "We are very disappointed to be making this announcement. DIC are a serious investor with considerable resources at our disposal.

"At the same time, we are supporters of the game and of the club. Liverpool's investment requirements have been well publicised and, after a huge amount of work, we proposed a deal that would provide the club with the funds it needs, both on and off the pitch.

"We were also prepared to offer shareholders a significant premium on the market price of the shares. However, we will not overpay for assets."

He added: "Liverpool is the most successful football club in English football history.

"It exists to win things for its supporters. It deserves to be in the hands of people who support it, who understand its history and legend and who share the enthusiasm and passion of its fans.

"As businessmen, we move on. As fans, we hope that the new owners would share the same vision as we had for LFC and, of course, in realising the new stadium that is so badly needed to ensure the club can continue to compete at the highest level in the Premiership and Europe.

"I am sure I will be back at Anfield with my family soon to support my team, as I have done so in the last 30-plus years.

"In the meantime, I wish the manager, the players and everyone connected with the club the best of fortune for the challenges ahead and will make sure that I am there the day they lift the Premiership trophy."

Liverpool, who also need finance to fund their proposed new £180million on Stanley Park, have been linked with a number of takeovers in recent years.

Former Thailand prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra made a high-profile bid in 2004 and another American billionaire, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, also met with club officials.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gillett close to Liverpool deal
The American entrepreneur George Gillett could win the battle for control of Liverpool within days, leading to concern among fans.

Some supporters fear Gillett could be Liverpool's equivalent of Malcolm Glazer at Manchester United, buying the club and allowing his family to run it.

But Gillett has gazumped Dubai International Capital - who withdrew their own bid - and is now the only player left in the race for control of the club.

It is expected his offer to chairman David Moores will be made this week and quickly agreed.

A Liverpool spokesman said: "There is a process underway with Mr Gillett, and a decision can be expected in the next few days."

Sources close to the club expressed confidence that a deal with Gillett is now imminent.

As well as offering more money, the clincher has been that Gillett now accepts that Liverpool will not share their new stadium.

The directors and major shareholders have also been impressed by the speed with which he has carried out due diligence investigations. The length of time taken by DIC to study the accounts had created some nervousness within the club.

Moores had been preparing to give DIC a formal response late on Wednesday afternoon, but the Dubai group did not wait to hear it before pulling out.

Club fans were confused and worried about the turn of events, with many message boards full of attacks on Moores for the way the Dubai deal broke down.

It is also believed that the Dubai organisation were furious with the way Tuesday night's Liverpool board meeting developed, expecting approval for their bid.

Les Lawson, spokesman for the Liverpool Supporters' Club, said: "I must admit to being surprised. We had come to terms with the Dubai bid and what it entailed, and the fans accepted that they were fans of the club of long standing and understood the history and heritage of Liverpool.

"Then Gillett comes along and muddies the water. We are worried now about the future and the fact that the Dubai bid had gone on so long and now we are in another period of uncertainty.

"This has been going on for years. Surely it should have been clear by now what the Dubai people wanted.

"The Dubai group were big fans, but we do not know too much about this guy, who it seems has tried to buy other clubs.

"The Dubai deal had been sold to us as being one from people who understood the traditions and heritage of the club. Rick Parry (chief executive) said that was one of the key issues, that the Dubai people did appreciate our history.

"Now we are going to have to wait and see what Gillett wants and does in the future."

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Apparently Gillet had ruled out the groundshare possibility.

The team he runs in Canada or wherever it is, is apparently one of the best run teams in the country.

DIC took far too long to look at the books I'm afraid.

Apparently Gillet had ruled out the groundshare possibility.

The team he runs in Canada or wherever it is, is apparently one of the best run teams in the country.

DIC took far too long to look at the books I'm afraid.
So does that mean we will still be going to Stanley Park???

yeah

if gillet buys the club there'll be no groundshare now, everton are moving into tesco's in kirkby, david moyes will be working as a checkout girl when the shite aren't playing

gollumlf5.jpg

My biggest issue with Gillet buyout is the fact that the man is gonna turn LFC into a big freaking joke... he runs a hockey team... he knows absolutely jack about Liverpool and the history of our team and the expetations of the fans. I somehow think this has to with Mr. Moore looking at filling his own backpocket. I could be wrong tho...:(

Theres me laughing at the mancs earlier when we're about to be turned into something similar. #-oI hope we stay as we are, couldn't stand going down the same route as them or the chavs. Gillet is no better than Glazer!

Back
Top Bottom