Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I agree marukomu. More threat than Utd. Who sells their leading scorer and doesn't get a replacement?

s1_paper.jpg

yikes!

Look at the veins in his right leg...thats sick.

Auerellio looks better than Gonzalez, and thats not because im more attracted to Brazilians ;)

He just looks more comfortable on the ball, hope he gets a few outings on left wing :D

always nice to beat Chelski....considering the starting lineups, we equipped ourselves very well. Sissoko was outstanding yet again IMHO.

Bellamy, Gonzalez, Pennant, Aurelio, Paletta....They're all gonna add something to us this season, I'm excited

Peter Eyres said:
always nice to beat Chelski....considering the starting lineups, we equipped ourselves very well. Sissoko was outstanding yet again IMHO.

Bellamy, Gonzalez, Pennant, Aurelio, Paletta....They're all gonna add something to us this season, I'm excited

you forgot agger, in fact i don't expect to see paletta that much this season especially after seeing agger's performance today

i'm excited too which isn't normal at this time of the season (including last season when we were champions of europe) personally i think we've got the strongest squad in the league now, chelsea have a better first eleven but i'm not too sure about them if they're going to fuck about with the formation that has been so effective over the past couple of seasons, i'm not getting carried away with today's result but their strength over the last 2 seasons has been their solid back 4 and makelele with 2 pacy wingers supplying dogbreath and fat fwank backing him up from midfield, i just think now they've got too many "big names" and it's gonna be difficult to keep everyone happy especially if they want to use the formation that has served them well for 2 seasons

from our point of view i think rafa is getting close to the team he wants, with the exception of strikers i think we've got options all over the pitch now, the starting lineup today dissapointed a few people but i think they proved that we'll be able to rotate the squad especially whe we're playing the weaker teams

the most difficult thing from my point of view is deciding on the formation, i'd like to see 2 up front more often but this means sacrificing someone in midfield especially if we want to play with 2 wingers

depending on form, the time it takes them to settle in and opposition, we could end up with pennant and gonzalez/aurelio/kewell starting most games, this'll leave us either having to drop one of gerrard, alonso or momo, or play one up front to fit all 3 in, personally i think bellamy partnering crouch (or another target man) could be our best option but i wouldn't like to drop any of the 3 central midfielders

on current form i'd say drop alonso but that would be stupid, when he's on form (the majority of the time) he's part of what makes us tick, his defensive work is generally very good and he's capable of spotting passes nobody else can see

gerrard is gerrard, he's probably too flexable for his own good which means he gets pushed into positions where he's less effective (england anyone?) like on wednesday when he played on the left for a while until gonzalez replaced him or most of last season when he played on the right a lot, he's capable of playing almost anywhere but he's most effective playing through the middle

now on to momo, i was impressed with him last season, he's a rough diamond and will always carry the risk of picking up cards but he's so good at playing the destroyer role and has an unreal engine (think he covers something like 14km a game) i think if he can keep improving he'll be the best defensive midfielder in the league in a couple of years if not less, at the moment he still has problems but his athleticism and workrate is 2nd to none, today a couple of moments stuck in my mind, his tackle on ballack early on showed him who's boss, also saw him chasing back after robben (i think?) finnan came across to cover so momo moved back infield, anyway robben skinned finnan then all of a sudden up popped momo from nowhere to win the ball back, he was like that all afternoon and last wednesday against haifa, from the past couple of games it looks like his passing and dribbling have improved but i prefer to judge over a lot of games but if he keeps it up he's gonna be one hell of a player, just glad we pinched him from under the nose of the bitters

i've been thinking about our formation for a long time now and the longer i go on the more it hurts, like i said with the exception of the strikers we have options all over the pitch now, if rafa can add a quality striker to the squad then i think we're capable of pushing the chavs close this season, if not i'll happily settle for number 6 in athens :D

^ i agree that at current form...we should play sissoko and gerrard in the middle.

when all 3 are fit/on form...i would play gerrard and alonso. with gerrard an option if pennant has a bad game. or sissoko on if the game is stretched

I’d find it hard to drop any of our central midfielders, they're all important. I’d play three at the back with Carra, Hyypia/Paletta and Agger and use Pennant/Finnan - Speedy/Aurelio/Riise as wing-backs with Bellamy and Crouch upfront. We've been linked with Klose recently, for me that would be the perfect player to complement Bellamy. Liverpool used a similar formation against the barcodes last season and it worked well...

Field.png

...Some might disagree but if we want all three of our midfielders playing and two upfront which we’d all like to see than this might be the way to go in some games.

Grrr...how'd you guys manage for Stevie G and Mellor not getting their reds leading to a suspension in that friendly a few years ago? And can United borrow your lawyer?

beachryan said:
Grrr...how'd you guys manage for Stevie G and Mellor not getting their reds leading to a suspension in that friendly a few years ago? And can United borrow your lawyer?

think gerrard was suspended, he didn't play in the first game of the season at home to chelsea but was back a week later against villa, not sure what happened to mellor as he was playing in the under 19's/reserves around that time but i can't find his name mentioned in any of their opening fixtures

Oh fair enough, I thought one of the reasons Fergie was so angry was cause the identical case led to no suspensions for either. Apologies. Regardless, if that's a red card and a 3 match ban...I just don't know. Alan Shearer might as well never played a match!

beachryan said:
Oh fair enough, I thought one of the reasons Fergie was so angry was cause the identical case led to no suspensions for either. Apologies. Regardless, if that's a red card and a 3 match ban...I just don't know. Alan Shearer might as well never played a match!

i've been told gerrard didn't get a ban, i know he got 2 yellows against galatasaray in the amsterdam tournament and mellor was shown a straight red, gerrard played in a friendly against valencia on august 9th then missed the opener against chelsea on the 17th but played a week later at villa so it's possible he was out for a couple of weeks with a knock

at the end of the day it's down to the ref to report it, if he does there's very little anyone can do about it but i'll agree rooney's challenge was never a foul never mind a straight red

ghazi said:
DAMN, bitches. . . .at least act like you missed me! :mrgreen:

hello ghazi
swave.gif
i never even noticed you when you were here before ;)

Kuyt is a very very good signing!

Liverpool have built an amazing squad for this season, let's hope Rafa's boys can outperform themselves and regain the Premiership crown. :)

woooo Kuyt.

I know he had a poor world cup, but he only played a few games, mostly out of position.

He will run his socks off for any team, is strong, quite pacey, can use his head and both feet. His goalscoring record in Holland speaks volumes.

Who the feck are we going to play upfront then?. I love the strength in depth, but I can see problems in team selection, just as the midfield. Still, I'd rarther we had such a fab choice then lack of cover ;)

Some compilations of Kuyt on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcOwu86Ab1Q

Last edited:

just sorted a ticket for saturday so hope kuyt's available to play

hope we stuff the bastards as i can't stand that club, they're fuckin small time, been there a few times since they first came up around 1990 and was there when we played them in the league cup semi 1st leg a few years back when they beat us 2-1 and their fans were total cunts, i had to go to work in hull then next day and going across the m62 all the yorkshire radio stations were going on about how they'd hammered liverpool and were going to cardiff even though they still had to come to anfield, also can't stand colin wanker (anagram of neil warnock)

aye, the team selection was a bit cautious. Gerrard should be played in the middle. I think Sissoko had a poor game and we needed some creativy in midfield.

Tis a shame Fowler missed his earlier chance when bellamy squared it. He saw it too late though :(

Anyway, looking foward to the West Ham game with a full strength squad (finnan, pennant, alonso) and some sort of inclusion for Kuyt. Sheffield United are always a tricky team for us, particularly at Bramall Lane. I have alot of respect for his team and the mangager, they will suprise a few people this season IMO

Did you see the coins hitting the pitch when Hulse fouled Carragher?

Aparently the police are taking it further.

After the match a police spokesman said 'We are taking this matter very seriously. We believe the culprit to be an out of towner and we are checking ticket records for the area of the ground that the missiles came from. We are not discounting the possibility that it could have been someone from Liverpool and we'll be checking post office records to see if anyone in the block involved cashed their giro on saturday.';)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom