Liverpool Thread

Zico said:
I think they should replace GH with John Aldridge.

Aldo - the man the legend! Still if he was in charge u'd play attacking football. His game plan would be to buy the biggest players (say hello to Jancker and Koller) and play decent football untill about the last 10mins and then it would be hoof and hope if you were drawing or behind.

Also within the space of a season Liverpools discipline record would be worse than Arsenals and he'd smack the shite out of AF when Liverpool played Man Utd (just ask Zagorakis).

Oh man, somebody save us from Houllier....
yet more words of wisdom ?!

"Whenever you keep a clean sheet away from home I would say it's a good result. We now have a point on the board and hopefully our season now starts here."

yeah right........
It's not as if we were playing away at Real Madrid !!
But then again, being the defensive-minded manager he is,
keeping a clean sheet is the best we can hope for.

mathewsss said:
Oh man, somebody save us from Houllier....
yet more words of wisdom ?!

"Whenever you keep a clean sheet away from home I would say it's a good result. We now have a point on the board and hopefully our season now starts here."

yeah right........
It's not as if we were playing away at Real Madrid !!
But then again, being the defensive-minded manager he is,
keeping a clean sheet is the best we can hope for.

And yet more proof... here's what Stevie G had to say

"The manager told us before the game that the most important thing was keeping a clean sheet and getting our defensive play back to normal. We know the goals will come, hopefully starting against Spurs on Wednesday."

mathewsss said:
And yet more proof... here's what Stevie G had to say

"The manager told us before the game that the most important thing was keeping a clean sheet and getting our defensive play back to normal. We know the goals will come, hopefully starting against Spurs on Wednesday."

I also heard he demanded it from the team. The defenders are okay, they know what to do. He should demand Heskey to shape up or just ship him out to Qatar or somethin

Also is it safe to say that GH is the most defensive minded manager in the game today? If he likes clean sheets so much he should just work at the dry cleaners'.

Its got so bland you begin to wonder could master tactician Georgie "Bung" Graham, that "0-0 away from home [against a Villa who arent in form] is a good result" is a classic GG quote. GH's attitude of play is soooooo negative. Liverpool used to be one of the biggest and best clubs in Europe known throughout the continent as a good passing team that was good to watch, now hes made them dire to watch and not that sucessfull, hes also managed to turn Micheal Owen from the worlds greatest striker into an un-confident fairly good striker - you can see why him and Ginola didnt get on.

cfdh_edmundo said:
Its got so bland you begin to wonder could master tactician Georgie "Bung" Graham, that "0-0 away from home [against a Villa who arent in form] is a good result" is a classic GG quote. GH's attitude of play is soooooo negative. Liverpool used to be one of the biggest and best clubs in Europe known throughout the continent as a good passing team that was good to watch, now hes made them dire to watch and not that sucessfull, hes also managed to turn Micheal Owen from the worlds greatest striker into an un-confident fairly good striker - you can see why him and Ginola didnt get on.

at least GG won a few league titles at Arsenal.
Liverpool FC are now known for dull boring football.....
my fear is that Owen & Gerrard will leave by the end of the season.
The board need to get rid of Houllier before that.

mathewsss said:
at least GG won a few league titles at Arsenal.
Liverpool FC are now known for dull boring football.....
my fear is that Owen & Gerrard will leave by the end of the season.
The board need to get rid of Houllier before that.

LFC would be junk for quite some time without Owen and Gerrard. I'm sure they would toss GH before losing either one of those players.

I swear to God I'm gonna kill GH if either Owen/Gerrard moves to Inter next year --

ps: sorry for jumping into the discussion

mathewsss said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3178209.stm
Last Updated: Sunday, 24 August, 2003, 16:45 GMT 17:45 UK

"Houllier praises battling Reds
Houllier was pleased with Liverpool's performance
Report: Villa 0-0 Liverpool
Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier said he had seen enough quality in his team's draw at Villa Park to suggest they could mount a title challenge "

If there ever was a idiotic statement to come from Houllier, then this is it.

Because we drew with Aston Villa, we can mount a title challenge...Good god, please get rid of him. :twisted:

And was the Craig Brown suggestion in another post for manager a joke ? If you think we play boring football now, I can guarentee that we'd all be in coma's with Brown in charge......

mathewsss said:
mathewsss said:

Now you can understand Gerrard's decision to see whats what at the end of the season...

There must be a petition going on somewhere that we can all sign to help get Houlier to leave ?

This is GH's 5th season in charge.
Let me try to break my analysis into parts:

SEASON 1: Houllier's first in sole-charge after the departure of Evans.
His best contribution was to make our defense solid. All credit goes to GH for signing the 3H (Hyypia, Henchoz, Hamann). They are the back-bone of the defensive formation we still deploy today.
But our counter-attacking style resulted in us losing steam in the end of the season and finishing 4th. Not bad for the first season in charge.

SEASON 2: Houllier's best season ever. McAllister, Litmanen were inspirational veteran campaigners who added a bit of flair and that little bit extra. Fowler scored vital Cup goals, Heskey scored a lot in the first half of the league season before fading. Owen caught fire in the 2nd half of the season culminating with the double-strike against Arsenal in the FA cup. We finally qualified for the Champions league.
We still had a counter-attacking style winning few friends.
Although Houllier was the new messiah at the Kop, there was still something basically wrong with the manner of our football.
We found it very difficult to beat Birmingham in the W'ton Cup final needing penalties. The FA Cup final was more down to luck and Owen's finishing. Arsenal should have buried us, but we won.
The UEFA cup was littered with boring defensive displays. Both Roma, Barcelona felt hard-done to lose to such an uninspiring team.
We needed a controversial referee to beat Roma when they outplayed us at Anfield. The final was the only bright spot where we actually attacked for a change, but still it was mighty close. McAllister won it for us.

SEASON 3: We finished 2nd in the league despite more of the counter-attacking. Houllier was in hospital due to heart problems. The team was playing some dire stuff as teams began to sort us out. The lower clubs in the league just came to Anfield and defended, we did not know how to break them down. In the Champions league, we did well to reach the Quarter-finals, but the 2nd stage was where we were being shown our true value. Barcelone spanked us. Our best win 2:0 over Roma was more due to the players being fired up for Houllier's return. But then came Bayer Leverkusen. This to me was the turning point. It was the maximum Houllier had taken us to. We tried to bore our way past the Germans, but it did not work against one of the best attacking teams in Europe that season. Leverkusen thrashed us, Houllier ran out of ideas.
Finishing 2nd was the highlight, but it was the maximum we could do.

SEASON 4: Bouyed by such quick success, Houllier tried his luck with unknown players like Diouf,Diao,Cheyrou. Somehow we were leading the league when our true form hit us. We ran out of ideas, we were playing shite. The signs were always there for the last 1 year. Houllier ignored them and stuck to his defensive strategy albeit after flirting with attacking football in three 2:2 draws. But his tactical blunders and crazy team selection allied with some bad form tore into our season. We were out of the title race by Christmas. Beating ManU in a Cup final was great, but seriously the elimination from the Champions league due to our inability to get a point against Valencia or even beat Basle once was down to Houllier. The bubble has well and truly burst. Our tactics were shite, Heskey was playing most of the games inspite of Baros doing well.
We deservedly finished 5th.

SEASON 5: The signings of Kewell, Finnan look promising. But will GH play them in the right position. Kewell looks lost on the right wing. Heskey is still in the team. We don't have any good defensive cover, our midfield still lacks some real flair. Baros must be wondering what more he has to do. The French gems will probably end up in the reserves.
We're still playing defensive shite football. Houllier's press conferences and interviews are becoming the laughing stock. He talks no sense at all.
We're heading for mid-table mediocrity soon unless the board does something soon.

We want good attacking football back at Anfield with a manager who has some tactical knowledge.

mathewsss said:
This is GH's 5th season in charge.
Let me try to break my analysis into parts:

SEASON 1: Houllier's first in sole-charge after the departure of Evans.
His best contribution was to make our defense solid. All credit goes to GH for signing the 3H (Hyypia, Henchoz, Hamann). They are the back-bone of the defensive formation we still deploy today.
But our counter-attacking style resulted in us losing steam in the end of the season and finishing 4th. Not bad for the first season in charge.

SEASON 2: Houllier's best season ever. McAllister, Litmanen were inspirational veteran campaigners who added a bit of flair and that little bit extra. Fowler scored vital Cup goals, Heskey scored a lot in the first half of the league season before fading. Owen caught fire in the 2nd half of the season culminating with the double-strike against Arsenal in the FA cup. We finally qualified for the Champions league.
We still had a counter-attacking style winning few friends.
Although Houllier was the new messiah at the Kop, there was still something basically wrong with the manner of our football.
We found it very difficult to beat Birmingham in the W'ton Cup final needing penalties. The FA Cup final was more down to luck and Owen's finishing. Arsenal should have buried us, but we won.
The UEFA cup was littered with boring defensive displays. Both Roma, Barcelona felt hard-done to lose to such an uninspiring team.
We needed a controversial referee to beat Roma when they outplayed us at Anfield. The final was the only bright spot where we actually attacked for a change, but still it was mighty close. McAllister won it for us.

SEASON 3: We finished 2nd in the league despite more of the counter-attacking. Houllier was in hospital due to heart problems. The team was playing some dire stuff as teams began to sort us out. The lower clubs in the league just came to Anfield and defended, we did not know how to break them down. In the Champions league, we did well to reach the Quarter-finals, but the 2nd stage was where we were being shown our true value. Barcelone spanked us. Our best win 2:0 over Roma was more due to the players being fired up for Houllier's return. But then came Bayer Leverkusen. This to me was the turning point. It was the maximum Houllier had taken us to. We tried to bore our way past the Germans, but it did not work against one of the best attacking teams in Europe that season. Leverkusen thrashed us, Houllier ran out of ideas.
Finishing 2nd was the highlight, but it was the maximum we could do.

SEASON 4: Bouyed by such quick success, Houllier tried his luck with unknown players like Diouf,Diao,Cheyrou. Somehow we were leading the league when our true form hit us. We ran out of ideas, we were playing shite. The signs were always there for the last 1 year. Houllier ignored them and stuck to his defensive strategy albeit after flirting with attacking football in three 2:2 draws. But his tactical blunders and crazy team selection allied with some bad form tore into our season. We were out of the title race by Christmas. Beating ManU in a Cup final was great, but seriously the elimination from the Champions league due to our inability to get a point against Valencia or even beat Basle once was down to Houllier. The bubble has well and truly burst. Our tactics were shite, Heskey was playing most of the games inspite of Baros doing well.
We deservedly finished 5th.

SEASON 5: The signings of Kewell, Finnan look promising. But will GH play them in the right position. Kewell looks lost on the right wing. Heskey is still in the team. We don't have any good defensive cover, our midfield still lacks some real flair. Baros must be wondering what more he has to do. The French gems will probably end up in the reserves.
We're still playing defensive shite football. Houllier's press conferences and interviews are becoming the laughing stock. He talks no sense at all.
We're heading for mid-table mediocrity soon unless the board does something soon.

We want good attacking football back at Anfield with a manager who has some tactical knowledge.

agree

i agree too.

hes taken us as far as he can go and its time to move on.

mcleish

i really hope pool lose against spurs today so we can get rid of GH ..

but i think the scoreline would be 1-0 to pool .. michael owen assisted by a diouf pass 8)

upon reading a couple of page back onwards,i was simply stunned at how some peolple would like craig brown,alex mcleish,martin o' neil etc to manage liverpool.what the fuck has happened to you people?regardless of how pathetic we are at the moment,theres no need to get our expectations that low!

1)Alex Mcleish????why???what the fuck has he ever achieved to warrant a place in our team?wining the scottish league in the second year in charge over celtic by a single goal whilst wasting space in european tournaments???

2)Martin O' Neil???look under alex mcleish.he did nothing great with leicester as well.

3)craig brown???i'm not gonna bother.

Way i look at it,you could put a monkey to take charge of any old firm teams and he'll win the league for you.he could manage the team with another monkey fuckin him in the ass.we dont need that crap at liverpool.we've had it for so long that its time to let go........
Here's who i think should manage liverpool:

1)Fabio Capello.this man has done it all.handles big teams very well indeed.excellent coach who wouldnt have a problem attracting big players.a legend simply.....just afraid chelsea might be after him the minute ranieri fucks up.we should snatch him first.

2)Ottmar Hitzfeld.another manager who is highly respected around the world and has a very impressive CV.always gets the upper hand over demento is a good enough reason actually.......

3)Ronald Koeman.although relatively inexperienced,seems to have done an amazing job with a young squad.also knows how to put the stubborn players in place eg.mido.barca might get him next season if rijkaard fails this time around though.

4)Raynald Denoueix.has done an amazing job with the resurgence of nantes and most lately,real sociedad with displays of attacking football.

5)Jose Mourinho.young porto coach who has been around being assistant to big name managers at big clubs.guided porto to the "treble" last year with some brilliant displays as well.hardly lost a match all season(they did lose just a few)

It's bout time we had a big name manager rather than someone with links to the club.times have changed,and if we want to do well domestically as well as europe,we gotta have one of the coaches mentioned above(NOT THE FUCKIN BRITISH ONES!)as it is,i feel we are so far behind the scum and the arse that we are now with the likes of newcastle,chelsea....as much as it saddens me to say this,im with you on that one england_22.i believe a little sacrifice(losing to spurs and drawing everton)now will be beneficial(sacking or resignation of houllier)to us real soon.......

I'd say we go with someone like Koeman, Louis van Gaal or John Toshack.

No jokes i'd think they'd suit Liverpool and actually put us on the up, I really couldn't see that with someone like Capello.

O'Neil is another good manager without a doubt, he'd make us play some great football again, the only thing of his disadvantage is his lack of ability to attract the big names. Cause I wouldn't want him to be snapping up crappy players like Steve Guppy....

And no I don't want to see below-average managers like Aldridge or Craig Brown...

Misfit said:
It's bout time we had a big name manager rather than someone with links to the club.times have changed,and if we want to do well domestically as well as europe,we gotta have one of the coaches mentioned above(NOT THE FUCKIN BRITISH ONES!)as it is,i feel we are so far behind the scum and the arse that we are now with the likes of newcastle,chelsea....as much as it saddens me to say this,im with you on that one england_22.i believe a little sacrifice(losing to spurs and drawing everton)now will be beneficial(sacking or resignation of houllier)to us real soon.......

Damm dude you aint happy huh, in fact most of the posst in this thread are all slating LFC or GH....

Its the same for alot of LFC supporters, its easy blaming it on the manager but I think the fans are as much to blame, even if you change the manager, if you dont win the league pretty much straight away the fans will be calling for his head.

Do you not think that maybe its time to lower expectations and start supporting the club unconditonally, a club the size if LFC are inevitably gonna be top of the pile again one day......

If Liverpool go for a change of manager then i don't think that a couple of the names being put about on here will even be considered.

John Toshack = Failure
Craig Brown = see above, he can't even get Preston above half-way in the Nationwide Div 1.
John Aldridge = Would be a good coach for the team, but not the man to pull the strings and have the final say.

Van Gaal would be an option but i think he is damaged goods after 2 unpopular spells at Barcelona.

McLeish and O'Neill are obviously 2 very strong characters, but McLeish's lack of sucess in Europe will do him no good.

I would go for Louis Fernandez.
He done well at Bilbao and PSG (where the power struggle between the board, Ronaldinho and himself never done him any favours) and has a proven track record.

Misfit said:
i feel we are so far behind the scum and the arse that we are now with the likes of newcastle,chelsea....

You slipped below us and the geordies last season - you're more on a level with Blackburn and Spurs now!

Misfit said:
upon reading a couple of page back onwards,i was simply stunned at how some peolple would like craig brown,alex mcleish,martin o' neil etc to manage liverpool.what the fuck has happened to you people?regardless of how pathetic we are at the moment,theres no need to get our expectations that low!

1)Alex Mcleish????why???what the fuck has he ever achieved to warrant a place in our team?wining the scottish league in the second year in charge over celtic by a single goal whilst wasting space in european tournaments???

2)Martin O' Neil???look under alex mcleish.he did nothing great with leicester as well.

Honestly, you know loads about football :roll: . McLeish isn't a bad manager, and he actually won the league in his first full season in charge, when he joined more than half way through the previous season the title was effectively won by Celtic anyway. Rangers also won the league by two goals last year, not one.

MON took a mince Leicester side into Europe, and kept them in the Premiership. Look what happened when he left, they got worse and also got relegated. He took a Celtic side that had finished almost 20 points behind Rangers the previous season and won the treble with them. He took Celtic to victories over the champions of La Liga (Valencia that season), Serie A (Juve that season), and other clubs like Ajax and Porto in that year's CL. Fook sake he took us to a victory over Liverpool last season :roll: .

Misfit said:
Way i look at it,you could put a monkey to take charge of any old firm teams and he'll win the league for you.he could manage the team with another monkey fuckin him in the ass.we dont need that crap at liverpool.we've had it for so long that its time to let go........

Yeah sure the SPL is mince, and winning games for the most part is pretty easy, doesn't mean winning the title is. Both sides of the OF are pretty evenly matched. How many teams have won the Premiership? 3 in it's history. It may change this year with Chelsea (I doubt it myself), but the Premiership is a two-team league, only 2 teams have a chance of winning it as they're way above the rest. I wonder what other league is like that... :roll:

Sorry to the Pool fans who must think I've went off on one about non-Liverpool issues, I felt the need to correct this spouting of pish. Bottom line Misfit, this "pathetic" manager beat your lot last time his team came up against them...

Back
Top Bottom