Liverpool Thread

If Les doesn't get concusion or carried off in a game then he has had a quiet afternoon.

Could you imagine the state of Darren Anderton if he went into any of the situations that Sir Les does.................doesn't bare thinking about.

Les Ferdinand - The Professional and Fans type of Player!!

DeRo said:
If Les doesn't get concusion or carried off in a game then he has had a quiet afternoon.

Could you imagine the state of Darren Anderton if he went into any of the situations that Sir Les does.................doesn't bare thinking about.

Les Ferdinand - The Professional and Fans type of Player!!

LOL!!!!

Les is the man!!!

I think Anderton got injured just watching Les tackle someone :)

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Misfit said:
that and dumb old houliier didnt want to give up 8mill for him,would rather throw 11mill on heskey...........

He's never gonna live down signing Heskey....

Heskey should take a leaf out of Big Les's book, did you see that header against the saints, he powered into two defenders, scored, and left em both on the floor in pain....

Just to point out (although I hate GH at this point) I don't think the Heskey signing was so bad at the time. He was very young, physically dominant, had a bagful of goals, and had a great work ethic.

Clearly he has lost his goal scoring touch, but he still has a good attitude/work ethic. Obviously, he wasn't worth the transfer fee... but who would have thought he would go from 25+ goals a season to 5?

Still though, the only GH signing that has been a huge hit with me is Hyppia... well, and Riise too. But I'd still rather have most of the players that were here before GH really tinkered with the team. I'd love to have Litmanen, Fowler, and McManaman (he'd be gone anyway, I suppose) and then use all the youth that we have had come through our ranks... Nolan, Partrigde, Owen, Murphy, Gerrard, Carragher, Mellor, Welsch, etc.

I can't imagine the 'Pool doing much worse than they are now if they had done more to promote their own Academy youth plus at least they'd have money to drop on real talents and wouldn't have to spend so much money to "fill out the squad" on fringe players as GH always claims he needs to do.

Oh, and I like GH's Kewell signing... I think he is every bit as good as Duff and he got a bargain deal so kudos to him.

Still upset that he didn't land Joe Cole though... I believe Cole will turn out to be Chelksi's best player in a few years.

At least according to CM4

Heskey scored 9 times in the Premiership in his last full season with Leceister before signing for Liverpool, a season in which he didn't score a single goal the in last 21 league games of the season. I don't ever remember him being a 25 goal a season player.

ClassicD said:
Heskey scored 9 times in the Premiership in his last full season with Leceister before signing for Liverpool, a season in which he didn't score a single goal the in last 21 league games of the season. I don't ever remember him being a 25 goal a season player.

that was what i was wonderin.when did he ever score 25 goals.he was never prolific at leicester and was signed for 11mill????and houllier was sayin bout a "gem that needs to be polished a bit",wanted to make heskey the complete finisher in the box.then he plays heskey all over the pitch and now he is gone from rubbish to completely hopeless.i dont think he can ever get back to his 10 goals a season man.thats what he was at least...........

ClassicD said:

Well, that's what I get for taking information from a post on www.liverpoolfc.tv and not checking it first. So... my bad. GH paid waaay too much for Heskey.

Oh well, another crappy signing.

brilliant article from www.football365.com :

Never has a manager so blatantly got things wrong for so long while maintaining against all the evidence of our own eyes that he is in fact correct and what's more he meant it to work like this all along. He's wailing away, out of tune but does he care? Not for one eye-popping moment.

This stems back to buying Emile Heskey. The big man lumbers around the pitch every week, trying to control a football occasionally but mostly just looking like an upset seven-year-old who's fallen off his bike.

I have not met anyone for over a year who thinks Heskey is good enough often enough, but Houllier clings to Heskey with the white knuckle determination of a man who will not admit to being wrong. It's like he's playing a B flat minor when he should be playing a D major.

So he plays him every week in order to 'prove' to us how right he really is.

The same goes for Smicer, Biscan and Cheyrou and all those other ordinary midfielders and full-backs that he's bought.

And now he's established this as a modus operandi, Houllier is hell bent on making us believe that his wacky ideas are really avant garde brilliance and not incompetence. In this world, selling Litmanen after he played less than 20 games was a brilliant move.

This is also why he will play Kewell anywhere but on the left wing despite all of us knowing that we've only seen Kewell be really good when he played on the left wing for Leeds.

So what should fans do? Simple. Just lie. Start telling Houllier that he's got it right with all these players. This will infuriate him. And as an act of bloody mindedness he'll probably begin playing Owen in goal and Dudek at centre forward.

Of course, if he really wants to win something he should buy Jermaine Pennant, or get him in on loan, play him wide right, play Kewell wide left and watch his side use an extra 30% of the pitch to superb effect.

"When was Heskey a 25+ goals per season player?"

Well, d'you remember the Treble Year? Owen scored in fits and starts and ended up with 24. Heskey was amazin consistantly and finished with 22 goals (not quite 25 but close enough.)

I've rarely ever seen Houllier admit he was wrong with his tactics/selections.
Even when it is painfully obvious that we are an average team with
not too much creativity, he comes out with "we have the 2nd most shots
on goal".
Sometimes it's "we're a young team, still lot to learn"
"we were unlucky, we did not take our chances"
"i'm proud of the effort and determination of our players"..inspite of pumping the long ball aimlessly for half the game, or getting outclassed.

Liverpool have good players, we probably need a few more.
a good backup defender, a decent right-footed winger, another goal-scoring striker. Not a striker who just has "potential" or " is hard-working".
Look at the money he spent on Heskey and Diouf. That's close to 20 million pounds !!!!!!!! How many goals have they scored ?????

The problem is the manager, who has lost the plot. He will never admit his tactical blunders. The Board are too shy to sack him. But as fans, we know that the quality of the football has been horrendous over the last 2 seasons. How we ever made it into the Champions league Q-finals ??
It was by the most ugly defensive football I've ever seen by Liverpool.
When Bayer Leverkusen humbled us, it was the turning point.
That was the maximum Houllier could take Liverpool to.
He has run out of ideas and Liverpool have suffered as a result.

Admittedly Houllier has made the right choices with Kewell, Le Tallec, finnan. But will he use their talents wisely ? Or will they suffer the Litmanen treatment ?

I hope Houllier turns us into a better attacking team. But I doubt it will happen. We'll probably lose a few more games, and he will revert to the old long-ball, counter-attacking formula. We'll probably scrape into the UEFA cup again. And then Owen will leave.
I hope the board see sense before that happens.

Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has been linked with a sensational swoop for Newcastle United skipper Alan Shearer.
The England international, 33, comes out of contract at the end of the season and has emerged as a shock target for Houllier.

The News of the World says Houllier will attempt to convince Shearer to move to Anfield next summer over the Christmas period.

Newcastle are yet to settle on a new contract extension with the Geordies hero.

Steven Gerrard has admitted he will consider his Liverpool future if the club fails to improve on last season's disappointing campaign.
"I'm happy to stay here - for the time being," said Gerrard.

"But I want to get back into the Champions League and play Champions League football.

"That's where I feel my career belongs. I've had a good taste of it for two years at Liverpool and I want more of that.

"So I need me and the boys to get us back in it. That's the main thing for me personally, and the club. Next season, I don't want to be playing in the Uefa Cup.

"As far as my contract goes, things haven't moved further forward. In fact, talks haven't started yet."

Sunday is News Of The World rumour day!

The Shearer story is only in 2 of the morning papers and I cant see him ever leaving Newcastle

The Gerrard one is a bit of a worry tho, hopefully we will hear a bit more on it as the week rolls on

So far, another extremely poor showing against Villa. Only plus point has been Gerrard, who's had a pretty good match.

But I still think he's a t@@ser. Why ? He has a lot of talent but still insists on jumping into tackles. I hope he gets a taste of his own medicine one of these days, as trying to injure another professional player is shocking. For me, even though he plays for UTD, Roy Keane is a far better all round player, and not anywhere near as vicious as Gerrard's been in recent years.

I'd love to see Fifa penalise players for either remonstrating for a yellow / red car when an opposing player gets booked or getting caught on tv replays jumping into tackles 2 footed, trying to cause injury. Think a 4-6months wages fine would make them think twice about it....

Houlier better not be here after Xmas, or were going to finish outside the Champions Leauge spots again...

MoodyB said:
So far, another extremely poor showing against Villa. Only plus point has been Gerrard, who's had a pretty good match.

But I still think he's a t@@ser. Why ? He has a lot of talent but still insists on jumping into tackles. I hope he gets a taste of his own medicine one of these days, as trying to injure another professional player is shocking. For me, even though he plays for UTD, Roy Keane is a far better all round player, and not anywhere near as vicious as Gerrard's been in recent years.

I'd love to see Fifa penalise players for either remonstrating for a yellow / red car when an opposing player gets booked or getting caught on tv replays jumping into tackles 2 footed, trying to cause injury. Think a 4-6months wages fine would make them think twice about it....

Houlier better not be here after Xmas, or were going to finish outside the Champions Leauge spots again...

i totally agree with everything ya said.ya pretty much spoke my mind.gerrard should have his legs broken......

Well, was a pretty dire showing from the boys. Kewell looks like he's lost all of his confidence. And GH's crazy decision of playing wrong footed wingers on both wings negate any advantage we have by playing wingers, meaning that we don't have any width. Heskey looked alright, but nothing special.
Henchoz and Gerrard don't look match fit, but Stevie G's performance was a plus point. The two footed tackle in the box was awful though, he needs to curb that temper.
Dudek had a superb game, kept us in it. Overall though, it was miserable. We lacked talent defensively, with Vassell managing to squeeze through two men too easily for comfort. Attacking as well, we were dull and lacked invention, with both our wingers always cutting inside, and Kewell's lack of confidence, combined with some woeful crossing, meant a pretty miserable attacking performance. Owen was also anonymous. Baros was OK when he came on, he needs to start more IMO
All in all, I was disappointed, but at least Stevie is back, though a little lacking in match fitness and discipline

Didnt see the match but heard it on the radio, sounded like Liverpool wernt very attacking and were aiming for a 0-0 or perhaps to nick a goal on the break. With all the decent attacking players in their squad and the lack of sucess with this tactic before I dont know what GH is messing at.

Haha.......i see David O'Leary and Phil Thompson had a bust up over Steven Gerrard's shocking tackle's. How Steven Gerrard wasn't sent-off i will never know! :roll: Harry Kewell was abysmal, he couldn't take on anyone, couldn't cross and his shooting was awfull, especially that sitter he missed.

heskey shouldnt start , riise is not a fullback , and why o why is finnan on the bench?

one more loss and i think houllier will be packing

And I thought my team had problems, better run outta here before I get chased..........

It might sound drastic at such an early stage, but i think Liverpool should replace GH if they want to save themselves from a season of averageness Theyve missed the boat if they wanted to get a big name replacement without having to pay compensation (O'Leary, Heyenecks etc have just joined new clubs) apart from Del Bosque (which could be a risk as hes only managed one club) what about John Toshak or Raddy Antic ??

What about Glenn Roeder as a replacement?? I think that would finally be a good signing for Liverpool ;)

I'd get someone in for the season only, then approach Harry Redknapp. Think he's a fantastic manager, never mind what he'd done with Portsmouth.

Other choices - Martin O'Neil ? Alex McLeish ? El Tel ?

I feel O'Leary would have been the perfect manager for Liverpool, but that boat has sailed away. Maybe Allerdyce (good foreign signings would be a change ;)), Moysie (that would piss off Everton), Warnock... but I still think they need to get in someone with a European profile maybe MON would do the job.

Kevin Keegan would get us playing attacking footy, he may not be the most stable manager out there but he would make us entertaining ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3178209.stm
Last Updated: Sunday, 24 August, 2003, 16:45 GMT 17:45 UK

"Houllier praises battling Reds
Houllier was pleased with Liverpool's performance
Report: Villa 0-0 Liverpool
Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier said he had seen enough quality in his team's draw at Villa Park to suggest they could mount a title challenge "

I saw the game.....I mean....what is he smoking ???
I would like to have some of it, because it is very depressing watching
our team play such shite.
It was a bad performance by our team.
why is Heskey starting every game ?
why is a left-footed winger on the right, and a right-footed half-striker
on the left-wing ?
why is Gerrard still trying his 50 yard hollywood balls ?
(lucky he was still on the pitch IMO)
why is GH still in charge ??? why is the board allowing this man to
drag our beloved team into the dust.

We are 1 point above the relegation zone, and he thinks we did well.
With the players we have, we should have beaten Villa today, but we ended up scraping a draw in a match we could have easily lost.
Kewell looks lost, Baros must be wondering what he has to do dislodge
the world-class striker Emile Heskey from the team. Why the feck did Chelsea not sign Heskey...(hey, they're signing everyone nowadays) ;)

This summer was the best opportunity to get rid of Houllier.
For people who say, let's give him time till Christmas......why ???
why should we wait so long ? We'll probably be in 7th place, out of the Carling cup and fighting with Spurs for a UEFA cup spot.

We need a manager with some common sense and a will for attacking football.

Back
Top Bottom