Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

antred said:
I think you are all missing the point.

BOTH us and Benfica were pitiful tonight - if Benfica fans are happy with that then i feel for you.

As for us, we didnt turn up, so how anyone can judge that performance tonight i dont know because we were where just effing awful. Definetly a bad day at the office for us.

However expect the team to get a rocket off Rafa. Benfica may score at Anfield but i;ve seen enough of Benfica to know that we can beat them and go through pretty easily, they were by far the worst team i've seen in Europe for ages and understand why koeman is on a knifes edge.

Unfortunately for us we were ten times worse!

We'll see what you have to say about Benfica in 2 weeks. And I don't think it's just a bad day for liverpool as you say...or maybe your position in EPL table in the past years is just a coincidence or a strange endless sucession of bad days. As I said, I have respect for Liverpool, for their history, but in my opinion, and despite having won the CL last year, you're now far from being one of the top major teams in europe and that's also one of the reasons why we'll go into the next stage, even playing bad as we've been doing lately...but it's football, we never now what might happen. Our major concern is, as I said before, mr.koeman and our injured key players.

You should go through, but you might have to score 3. I think they will score. good luck anyway. just don't win the trophy again or we'll never catch up

Real bad game from both teams, only good thing was the goal and the win.

Hope Sissoko is allright, just read that he couldn't see after being hit by Beto-Dumbest Benfica Player Ever™

It's CL football, so anything can happen. Hope there's only one English team in the next round... :)

Good to see Benfica supporters in this thread but the match yesterday was bloody booooring! The worst match I've seen in ages I turned it to Arsenal v Real for one minute at the start of the second half and guess what Henry scores a beauty, that one-minute had more action than the whole 90 minutes of the other game. If Benfica fans are seriously happy with their performance (not result) than you must enjoy shit football because even with Liverpool "controlling" the game we didn't create one single goal scoring opportunity but neither did Benfica. Liverpool deserved to lose and if we play anything like we did yesterday, at Anfield its bye bye champions league

Last edited:

^ It was very tactical but we still deserved the win

And it was boring because your team came here to play for the draw...

Last edited:

I watched the highlights for the Benfica v L'pool game. Kewell looks to be finding form again. Benfica are diving bastards - I can't watch the foreign leagues these days, it just pisses me off.

Doping said:
^ It was very tactical but we still deserved the win

And it was boring because your team came here to play for the draw...
How do you know we played for a draw? To me we seemed to play for nothing, I’ve been lucky enough to watch 95% of Liverpool's games LIVE this season and this is the worst performance by a mile. If you're happy with you’re teams tactics/performance, fine but to blame Liverpool for the game being boring well Benfica really impressed with their flowing football, maybe this was Benfica’s worst game as well, no?

Gee wizz, one lost and so mouch player-hating like said keep that illiterate nonsense to your own threads.

Last nights game was bad, the goal that we conceaded was very bad(more to do with the fact that Benitez & players knew that it could be coming).

It's not over by a long shot.

Interviewer: "So a one-nil lead I guess you'll just
defend ,defend, defend in the return leg..."

Koeman: "Uhhhh" "Hmmmm"................

OneProudGooner said:
Kevano:

real-arsenal.jpg

Real Madrid 0 -1 Arsenal

Thanks for ruining our thread out of jealously after the performance we put in tonight mate..

please, dont get me started on "jealousy". i was posting something i forgot to post the other day in that thread.

think about it, I, or any Liverpool fans, have nothing to be jealous about, so dont use that word.

PS. Does anyone else think its weird that all the arsenal fans are going mental because arsenal won?

do they not realise it is based over 2 legs?

Sheesh, i was happy when we beat juventus last year, but i wasnt "in tears" over it.

thats what pisses me off. They all slate arsenal, especially henry. then he scores and he is god again. haha.

oh well. anyone who thinks benfica will knock us out at anfield, must be high, or having a laugh. If they play that badly again they will get tonked.

kevano22 said:
oh well. anyone who thinks benfica will knock us out at anfield, must be high, or having a laugh. If they play that badly again they will get tonked.
Yes they will get tonked but if we play that badly there's a good chance we’ll go out, I hope not

I think Liverpools biggest fear will be conceeding first. After seeing the 'tactics'employed by Benfica when they took the lead against United in November, they will be virtually impossible to beat with a lead, as they will stop playing football and switch to time wasting, roll around on the ground, dive, scream, cry, throw the ball away, pull up with random mystery injuries in the middle of pitch, foul every liverpool player, everytime they come into their half, probably get one of their subs to strip down and run naked across the field to hold up play, and then at the end somehow reprogram the extra time board so it only shows 4 minutes.

The beautiful game indeed.

Last edited:

ninjabreakz said:
I watched the highlights for the Benfica v L'pool game. Kewell looks to be finding form again. Benfica are diving bastards - I can't watch the foreign leagues these days, it just pisses me off.

Yeah, but I still remember your dear Ruud van Nistelrooy... the diving master, He and Liedson could make a perfect duet.

beachryan said:
I think Liverpools biggest fear will be conceeding first. After seeing the 'tactics'employed by Benfica when they took the lead against United in November, they will be virtually impossible to beat with a lead, as they will stop playing football and switch to time wasting, roll around on the ground, dive, scream, cry, throw the ball away, pull up with random mystery injuries in the middle of pitch, foul every liverpool player, everytime they come into their half, probably get one of their subs to strip down and run naked across the field to hold up play, and then at the end somehow reprogram the extra time board so it only shows 4 minutes.

The beautiful game indeed.

:lol:

Funny, all these Benfica fans saying how well they did, i think the shot count ran like this: Benfica 1 Liverpool 0 and thats it! Not one goalkeeper made a save!

All im saying is that we were bloody average to say the least, the worst performance i've seen since Fulham away earlier on in the season, yes it was that bad.

What might give us the edge is the atmosphere at Anfield, the crowd are closer to the pitch which tends to wind up foreign opponents, but we will see.

If Liverpool play like we know they can on all cylinders we wont be in trouble. Karagounis was their best player by a mile and he was the sub.

You will see more of this. The main thing was Benfica didn't let an away goal in. All they need to do is score at Anfield and and it could be all over. Can Liverpool come up with 3 goals?

MO_DINERO said:
How do you know we played for a draw? To me we seemed to play for nothing, I’ve been lucky enough to watch 95% of Liverpool's games LIVE this season and this is the worst performance by a mile. If you're happy with you’re teams tactics/performance, fine but to blame Liverpool for the game being boring well Benfica really impressed with their flowing football, maybe this was Benfica’s worst game as well, no?

As I said the match was very tactical. The game was boring, yes. We didn't play very well, yes. But our defence was very good, which erased your players, don't just badmouth your players because our defensive system was really consistant, apart from our Goalkeeper who was nervous, somehow... And even though our attacking flow wasn't the best we still managed to have more chances than you did, and scored a goal.

Let's hope the match at Anfield is a more open match, because I'm excpecting us to play in counter attack with Simao, Miccoli and Geovanni :)

No one said either Benfica or Liverpool played well and we're far from being happy with our performance in all recent matches. I assume Liverpool can play a lot better than that and Benfica is on a very bad moment too. I think it's normal that we're happy with the result and that's it, we have an important advantage for the 2nd hand. And as Doping said, surely it'll be a much better open and emotional game but without Geovanni or Miccoli and according to koeman's usual tactics I seriously doubt we can manage to keep the advantage.

And by the way, why wasn't Gerard in the starting team? Coach option or any injury?

Last edited by a moderator:

Soundtracker said:
No one said either Benfica or Liverpool played well and we're far from being happy with our performance in all recent matches. I assume Liverpool can play a lot better than that and Benfica is on a very bad moment too. I think it's normal that we're happy with the result and that's it, we have an important advantage for the 2nd hand. And as Doping said, surely it'll be a much better open and emotional game but without Geovanni or Miccoli and according to koeman's usual tactics I seriously doubt we can manage to keep the advantage.

And by the way, why wasn't Gerard in the starting team? Coach option or any injury?

he picked up a knock against chelsea and hasn't been fully 100% since, to be honest he's not been playing that well since christmas

marukomu said:
You will see more of this. The main thing was Benfica didn't let an away goal in. All they need to do is score at Anfield and and it could be all over. Can Liverpool come up with 3 goals?
Liverpool vs Olympiakos anyone?

Man that's sad! It looks like Sisokko might loose 20 to 80% of his right eyesight...just an accidental kick, but it could only be Beto doing this.
This kind of players simply don't deserve to enter any soccer field at this level of competition. Although I think Sissoko hasn't the reputation of being very kind also, I fell sorry for him anyway.

Gutted for Sissoko, and gutted for LFC, Sissoko was looking like a great player.

I hope we see him again soon...even if he'll only be seeing 80% or so of us.

Can't wait for the return leg now, gonna be another great night at Anfield, got tickets right behind the press area...which is always good for replays on the tvs.

MO_DINERO said:
Good to see Benfica supporters in this thread but the match yesterday was bloody booooring! The worst match I've seen in ages I turned it to Arsenal v Real for one minute at the start of the second

Yep, but this time I must stick with benfica fans and say that it's Liverpool whith the major responsability on that. Benfica doesn't have the team, money or status of Liverpool. Benfica comes from a very bad spell. On the other hand Liverpool has the responsability of an european champion.

Anyway what happened was simple: arrogance once again, the same recipe that Manchester United (twice), Newcastle and Middlesborough took when playing portuguese clubs, with the known results of the past.

Coming here thinking this was kind of a "league cup game", were one could rest Gerard, play Fowler as a way to integrate him with the team is the usual lack of respect of english teams that has got them paying the same price over and over again against both portuguese clubs and national team.

Portuguese soccer aches and gets poorer and poorer.. and yet one thing we know for sure: we always beat english teams... what does that say about english teams mindset?

Arrogance all over it.

OK Mauras you've made your point of view already, but I don't think it's arrogance from Liverpool's side they just played badly. We'll see what happens at Anfield one thing I can promise you is if Liverpool play to their potential Benfica will get destroyed so we'll see what happens

Mauras said:
Yep, but this time I must stick with benfica fans and say that it's Liverpool whith the major responsability on that. Benfica doesn't have the team, money or status of Liverpool. Benfica comes from a very bad spell. On the other hand Liverpool has the responsability of an european champion.

Anyway what happened was simple: arrogance once again, the same recipe that Manchester United (twice), Newcastle and Middlesborough took when playing portuguese clubs, with the known results of the past.

Coming here thinking this was kind of a "league cup game", were one could rest Gerard, play Fowler as a way to integrate him with the team is the usual lack of respect of english teams that has got them paying the same price over and over again against both portuguese clubs and national team.

Portuguese soccer aches and gets poorer and poorer.. and yet one thing we know for sure: we always beat english teams... what does that say about english teams mindset?

Arrogance all over it.

for fucks sake give it a rest

newcastle are shite, 'boro are shite, it's no big deal beating them so get over it, porto got lucky against united 2 years ago playing negative football in the 2nd leg and snatching a late undeserved winner, benfica played well in both games against united this season but i don't think united were arrogant, they struggled in europe and it was more the failure to beat lille that cost them a place in the knockout round

gerrard picked a knock up a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been 100% since, he's played 2 tough games against arsenal and united in the past week so he wasn't rested out of disrespect for benfica, fowler has been involved in every game since his return to liverpool except chelsea away and the 2 fa cup games and has now started the last 3 games (couldn't play against united) given our strikers recent performances it's no suprise that robbie's starting games

liverpool played poor on the night, nothing to do with disrespect and it reminded me of the performances away to olympiakos and monaco last season where we looked toothless going forward, it's only half time and i really fancy our chances of getting a good result, having said that if our strikers keep misfiring like they have done for much of the season then benfica may get something, fair play to them if they do but it won't be down to arrogance from liverpool

My thoughts and prays with Sissoko and Alan Smith. Such promising players with great mentality. Sissoko could well be the next viera, and really hope he pulls through, not just for us, but for his own personal development. He's only 21 ffs :(

Back
Top Bottom