Liverpool Thread

Well, Liverpool play the mighty Fleetwood FC tonight at Blackpools Bloomfield Rd. It will be the first time in about 10 years I have been in their ground but I have heard that they have improved it since my last visit ;)

Be interesting to see who actually gets to play tonight, according to last nigths local paper Diao is going to be our star attraction :roll:

The ground has improved. I was gonna go but decided against it when I learnt the big names were'nt playing, and of course, when I learnt you was going. :D

-Batman :bat:

CWright said:
Meeting me would be an honour for many people hutch ;)

Indeed, the only downside would be the total humiliation in front of my mates when they learn I have been posting frequently on a PES/WE forum's off-topic discussion. Nevermind the embarassing silence when I see a 30 yr old Sven look a like approaching me. I think I'll give it a miss thank you very much. Check out the Odeon Cinema complex nearby though. "The Flying Handbag" should suit you as well Mr Wright. :D ;) ;) ;)

-Batman :bat:

What is the Flying Handbag hutch, I have never heard of the place.....?

Anyway on with tonights match report and to save me writing it all up let me just copy and paste it from www.liverpoolfc.tv

A strong Liverpool XI cruised to an emphatic 6-1 victory over non-league Fleetwood Town on a night when a number of players strengthened their claim for a regular first team slot.

With the Premiership opener against Chelsea looming this was an ideal opportunity to impress the watching management and the likes of Baros, Cheyrou, Diouf, Le Tallec and Pongolle did just that.

Eight divisions separate Liverpool and Fleetwood in the football pyramid and the free-spending Londoners will no doubt be a different proposition entirely this weekend but you can only beat what is in front of you and the Reds certainly set about their task in a professional manner.

It was following a chance meeting on a flight back from Paris between Gerard Houllier and the eight year-old son of Fleetwood owner Mick Hoyle that this final fixture of Liverpool's pre-season programme was arranged.

The gulf in class between Premiership Liverpool and North West Counties outfit Fleetwood Town may be a staggering one but, true to his word, Gerard Houllier fulfilled his promise to play the game and sent a strong side to the seaside.

Such was the interest in this match it was switched from Town's Highbury Stadium to neaerby Bloomfield Road. Tickets sold out two weeks ago and a capacity crowd of 8,000 were treated to a first half football exhibition by the 'all-whites'.

Although the star names like Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard were missing there was enough quality on show to delight the fans and Liverpool's obvious superiority shone through from the first whistle.

During the opening exchanges Baros spurned a glorious opportunity and Pongolle hit the bar before El Hadji Diouf converted from the penalty spot to deservedly open the scoring.

The white tide continued to pour towards the Fleetwood goal and it came as no surprise when the lead was increased eight minutes later. Bruno Cheyrou found himself in space 35-yards from goal and he unleashed an unstoppable shot that flew past the outstretched arms of keeper Banks and into the top corner.

It was a strike befitting his nickname of 'Bruno Zidane' and hopefully it's a sign of things to come from the French international.

With just one shot at goal to their name the non-league minnows must have been praying for the referee's half-time whistle but before the opening 45 minutes were up they were punished twice by Milan Baros.

Latching onto a long clearance by Kirkland the Czech striker made it 3-0 with a belting finish from a tight angle then doubled his tally with a well-taken goal from close range shortly before the interval.

The second period saw Liverpool make a number of changes, with coaches Hughie McAuley and Alex Miller giving youngsters Luzi, Welsh, Foley, Whitbread and Otsemobor a rare run out and, as a result, it took until the closing moments before further goals were added.

At the opposite end substitute keeper Patrice Luzi was beaten with a blistering free-kick from Lee Catlow on 69 minutes before parity was restored nine minutes from time when the highly-rated John Welsh hammered home from close-range after Le Tallec headed the ball back into his path.

With time almost up Le Tallec then capped a superb performance by breaking free of the Fleetwood defence and curling a shot sweetly beyond the dive of Banks to complete the 6-1 rout.

Baros` first goal to make it 3-0 was very well taken and Le Tallecs goal was a belter.

A good performance but nothing spectacular considering our opposition

Nope, still doesnt ring any bells. You a regular in the place hutch?

The Valencia game wasn't that bad. In fact, it wasn't bad at all (most players, including crowd 'favourites' Biscan, Murphy, Diouf and Traore played well - in fact, our worst players were Gerrard and Riise). Valencia scored two out of the three chances they had. The first was a good goal by Vicente and the second was the result of a slip in defence by Henchoz. Shit like that happens, let's hope it gets restricted to pre-season only. Personally, I was happy to see us creating so many good chances against arguably the best defensive unit in Europe. And while the chances weren't taken, the signs are more promising than they were last pre-season. BTW, Heskey is looking good this pre-season (not to forget that he's scored 6 in 8 for us thus far). I've never been his biggest fan, but if he starts cramming my words down my throat, then I'll be delighted. Hey, here's a novel idea - support your team for once.

hisdumbwaiter said:
The Valencia game wasn't that bad. In fact, it wasn't bad at all (most players, including crowd 'favourites' Biscan, Murphy, Diouf and Traore played well - in fact, our worst players were Gerrard and Riise). Valencia scored two out of the three chances they had. The first was a good goal by Vicente and the second was the result of a slip in defence by Henchoz. **** like that happens, let's hope it gets restricted to pre-season only. Personally, I was happy to see us creating so many good chances against arguably the best defensive unit in Europe. And while the chances weren't taken, the signs are more promising than they were last pre-season. BTW, Heskey is looking good this pre-season (not to forget that he's scored 6 in 8 for us thus far). I've never been his biggest fan, but if he starts cramming my words down my throat, then I'll be delighted. Hey, here's a novel idea - support your team for once.

heskey lookin good??ya know who he scored against and who he missed sitters against??here's a novel idea - think before ya post

Misfit said:
hisdumbwaiter said:
The Valencia game wasn't that bad. In fact, it wasn't bad at all (most players, including crowd 'favourites' Biscan, Murphy, Diouf and Traore played well - in fact, our worst players were Gerrard and Riise). Valencia scored two out of the three chances they had. The first was a good goal by Vicente and the second was the result of a slip in defence by Henchoz. **** like that happens, let's hope it gets restricted to pre-season only. Personally, I was happy to see us creating so many good chances against arguably the best defensive unit in Europe. And while the chances weren't taken, the signs are more promising than they were last pre-season. BTW, Heskey is looking good this pre-season (not to forget that he's scored 6 in 8 for us thus far). I've never been his biggest fan, but if he starts cramming my words down my throat, then I'll be delighted. Hey, here's a novel idea - support your team for once.

heskey lookin good??ya know who he scored against and who he missed sitters against??here's a novel idea - think before ya post

Oh, what wonderful 'supporters' Liverpool have. I suppose you're one of the ones who watches a game and just moans the entire way through, never once grasping the idea of support. You probably want players like Heskey, Smicer, Traore and Biscan to fuck up, just so you can have a good moan and feel all righteous. In fact, you're probably happy for us to lose games if you feel it'll get Houllier nearer the sack.

And yes, I know who Heskey has scored against this pre-season, but I know how he has performed as well. I've seen him control awkward passes first time. I've seen him chest the ball down perfectly and lay the ball off nicely. I've seen him outmuscling defenders and running at them once again. And most impressive, I've seen him show a willingness to get into goalscoring positions, something he hasn't done for two seasons. Heskey may end up having a poor season again, and if he does, he'll be gone (he would have been this summer had we landed Cisse). But as far as I'm concerned, I'll be fucking delighted if he makes me eat my words this season.

See? I'm into SUPPORTING my team, not crying like a girl because things aren't going the way I want them to. If Houllier has another poor season, he'll go - he knows this is the last chance saloon for him. And while I'm not his biggest fan or a fan of the way we've played over recent seasons, I'm encouraged by the fact that we've been playing with the ball on the deck so far this pre-season. It's something called 'hope'. I suggest you try it. It's better than being bitter and twisted all the time, because let's face it - if we have a good season, you're gonna look a twat. And if we have a bad season, you may feel vindicated, but you won't be happy. So get behind your fucking team, for Christ's sake, and stop expecting everything to fall right in your lap. Go to Anfield and fucking sing and cheer and encourage, instead of moaning and chastising the players for the slightest little error (you do realise that it is harder to perform in that kind of environment, right?). Be a SUPPORTER, not a FAN.

hisdumbwaiter said:
Oh, what wonderful 'supporters' Liverpool have. I suppose you're one of the ones who watches a game and just moans the entire way through, never once grasping the idea of support. You probably want players like Heskey, Smicer, Traore and Biscan to **** up, just so you can have a good moan and feel all righteous. In fact, you're probably happy for us to lose games if you feel it'll get Houllier nearer the sack.

And yes, I know who Heskey has scored against this pre-season, but I know how he has performed as well. I've seen him control awkward passes first time. I've seen him chest the ball down perfectly and lay the ball off nicely. I've seen him outmuscling defenders and running at them once again. And most impressive, I've seen him show a willingness to get into goalscoring positions, something he hasn't done for two seasons. Heskey may end up having a poor season again, and if he does, he'll be gone (he would have been this summer had we landed Cisse). But as far as I'm concerned, I'll be ****ing delighted if he makes me eat my words this season.

See? I'm into SUPPORTING my team, not crying like a girl because things aren't going the way I want them to. If Houllier has another poor season, he'll go - he knows this is the last chance saloon for him. And while I'm not his biggest fan or a fan of the way we've played over recent seasons, I'm encouraged by the fact that we've been playing with the ball on the deck so far this pre-season. It's something called 'hope'. I suggest you try it. It's better than being bitter and twisted all the time, because let's face it - if we have a good season, you're gonna look a twit. And if we have a bad season, you may feel vindicated, but you won't be happy. So get behind your ****ing team, for Christ's sake, and stop expecting everything to fall right in your lap. Go to Anfield and ****ing sing and cheer and encourage, instead of moaning and chastising the players for the slightest little error (you do realise that it is harder to perform in that kind of environment, right?). Be a SUPPORTER, not a FAN.

Good post!!

This is the same for alot of fans, you tend to have a different outlook if you go everyweek.

I think alot of liverpool fans are pissed at being in our shadow for so long, and while GH is at the helm buying dodgy players it doesnt look to be over anytime soon.

talk bout the blind leading the blind.i DO support my team,have been,will always be although we've been crap for a long time now or rather ever since houllier took over.this doesnt mean im ok with the the team losin or heskey not scorin but "tryin".f*ck "tryin"!go do it at manure or everton.here at liverpool,we want professional footballers who get the job done consistently.we need a manager who leads us to where we belong,at the top!not bein other than 1st,playin crap football,buyin crap footballers,playin crap footballers.if i was ok with that,id support spurs

well,the day has finally come....or will come tmrw for us anyway.i for one am looking forward to a 2-0 win over the russian mob.im sure we wont do well this season but have a gut feelin we'd do well in the first home game.we have to!

Thought I'd put this in here for ya. :D

TheTimes said:
"Breaking down this support into regions produces one of the most remarkable findings. Manchester United are always taunted because they have so many fans who live nowhere near Old Trafford. Our poll duly finds that 22 per cent of their fans come from London and the South East. Yet Liverpool outdo them, with 28 per cent in that region. So the taunt would be better aimed at the Anfield diaspora."
[/quote]

Misfit said:
well,the day has finally come....or will come tmrw for us anyway.i for one am looking forward to a 2-0 win over the russian mob.im sure we wont do well this season but have a gut feelin we'd do well in the first home game.we have to!

i dont know what with cisban in midfield

hutch said:
TheTimes said:
"Breaking down this support into regions produces one of the most remarkable findings. Manchester United are always taunted because they have so many fans who live nowhere near Old Trafford. Our poll duly finds that 22 per cent of their fans come from London and the South East. Yet Liverpool outdo them, with 28 per cent in that region. So the taunt would be better aimed at the Anfield diaspora."

does it say how many peeps they used in their poll or where they conducted it, if they did it at an away game, for example, then it's obvious that more 'fans' go to a ground near them, and it also arises how do u class a supporter? some pretty grey areas in there for such a bold statement.

Well we can't win anyway cos everyone hates us. In fact there was no point in me posting. I'm fighting a losing battle.

good to see you comin to your senses hutchy.........first it was bunnies,then batman,then makin s*it up.glad to see all that is done and over with.....

Back on topic, Liverpool are great and will win the league this year. If I am right I can say that it was an exclusive by me

That guys completley lost the plot I tell ya. I thought he was all pro-United anyway?

hutch said:
That guys completley lost the plot I tell ya. I thought he was all pro-United anyway?

yeah he never got over the shocks of losing the united job andthen blowing the league against them at villa.

Jesus christ, he's still backing it up now on the Premiership! :shock: What a nutter!

he always goes for the leftifield shit tho dont he, i mean, ronaldo selling lolliepops, whats the man on?

Back
Top Bottom