Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I have the best idea. I say you get rid of him and sell him to us. :mrgreen:

I had a feeling this would happen. Just couldnt see him leaving. . at least not after last season and the promise this team holds.

Still, its a long way to the league crown and it wouldnt have surprised me to see the kid take off to to a team with title expectations, rather than title ambitions.

Stay. Go. Whatever. Just do it quick and quit fuckin' with my heart!

All is forgiven. For now.

Now let's see if we can get Traore to get the same agent and sell his ass for a shot of tequila and some magic beans.

RuneEdge said:
And you're right Crayon, Carragher looks like the real heart of the team. Gerrard needs to learn from him. Remeber when he has playing the end of the CL final with an injury/cramp? That was heroic.

Indeed, his also te one who constantly gives those around him a good bollocking, Carra never shuts up and never gives up.

Ditto the £35mil would have come in handy, Heart may be in it but Gerrard's head is not. As we saw last summers episode warped his head and last season his indifferent form was down to his head being out of place at times(thinking about Chelsea).

And now this fiasco which is even worse than last summers & yet again his head is all over the place. Benitez should go out & buy another Central midfielder cause I reckon if him & Gerrard fall out again that's the end for Gerrard.

Ditto now we can go back to bringing in new players that doesn't involve an utterly disaster of a move for the £8mil rated(no just no.) Crouch.

He offered to give up his captaincy apparently, had a chat with the other players. The lad needs some therapy!

I was thinking about who we could replace him last night and I could not think of anyone with his all round attributes.

I'm fucking over the moon it's sorted now, but the lads got some making up to do, He's lost a bit of respect from me and a lot of other fans I would imagine.

Fantastic player, just not so bright. He's signed up until 2009 apparently.

RAFA: STEVIE IS STILL OUR SKIPPER
Paul Eaton 06 July 2005

Rafael Benitez today insisted he wants Steven Gerrard to remain as Liverpool captain - despite the Reds' midfielder offering to give up the armband.

Gerrard spoke to his manager this morning and offered to give up the captaincy in the wake of this week's transfer saga.

But Benitez, after speaking with several members of his first team squad, is adamant Gerrard remains the right man to lead the Reds next season.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.tv in an exclusive interview at Melwood, Benitez said: "Steven is our captain and I want him to stay as our captain.

"It is true that he offered to give up the captaincy but I spoke to some players and our idea was the same - that Stevie should be our captain."

Gerrard will hope to put a difficult week behind him by leading the Reds out at Wrexham on Saturday as the Reds play their first pre-season game.

"I said to the manager I'd like to speak with the players on my own because I know some of them have been frustrated with what's gone on, just like the fans have," said Gerrard.

"It would have broken my heart to have lost the captaincy but I thought it was right to make that offer."

Let's face it. They're simple lads (most of them) with bags of money and not much else. Agents spin circles round them and tell them when to jump, breathe etc.Keep gob firmly shut should be Gerrard's new motto.

Steven Gerrard today reflected on his decision to remain at Anfield and admitted: "I just couldn't leave the club I love."

Gerrard is now expected to sign an extended Liverpool contract after performing an amazing overnight u-turn and deciding to stay on Merseyside.

The news has delighted Reds' fans all over the world who had been preparing for the worst following yesterday's announcement that he wouldn't be signing a new contract.

But Gerrard has admitted that he just couldn't bring himself to leave the club he loves so dearly.

"I had the whole of yesterday to think about my decision and what I was doing. I turned off my phone and my television and went through it all in my head again," said Gerrard.

"After considering everything that's gone on, I just couldn't go through with it and leave this club. I never said I wanted to leave in the first place, but I'd felt I was being backed into a corner and had to push things on.

"I know it was going to look as though I wanted to go, but at one stage I thought I had no choice. When I thought about it more, I just wanted to stay.

"I admitted I've made mistakes and the club has acknowledged they've made some mistakes as well. But now we've sorted it out and I'm doing what I wanted to do all along, which is stay at Liverpool."

He added: "I've now apologised to Liverpool and they've apologised to me, which is important. I was left feeling so confused yesterday. I was receiving all kinds of advice and information from so many people, but I just had to sit down with my girlfriend and advisor and think it all through again for myself. I was just thinking 'how have we got into this mess and what's the best way out of it?'. I knew I had to do what I'd intended doing all along and sign a new contract.

"I made the decision last night that I couldn't leave this club. I love Liverpool so much. This is my club. My heart is with Liverpool. I don't need to tell anyone that. Everyone who knows me can see how I feel. The last thing I wanted to do was leave, I just couldn't do it."

Gerrard understands the feelings the fans have experienced over the past 24 hours as they contemplated the thought of their hero moving to Chelsea.

"My relationship with the supporters has always been fantastic and I knew a lot of people would be disappointed if I'd decided to go. I thought about the fans and the future," Gerrard said.

"As I'd said all along, I never wanted to leave. I don't want to go into details now about what happened over the last few weeks because the most important thing now is we can sort it out.

"I'm going to sign a new contract and, like I've always done, will be doing everything possible to make Liverpool successful again.

"It's been a bit of a mess but now we can sort it out and move forward. As I've said, we can all learn things from this.

"Now we all want to look forward."

Gerrard has just revealed that the reason behind this whole thing is that he thought Liverpool no longer want him :-s . Now that he realised the truth, he's decided to stay.

Parry: "Now Stevie what do you want to do?"
Gerrard: "I want to go to Chelsea"
Parry: "Are you sure you want to go to Chelsea?"
Gerrard: "Yes"
Parry: "Now remember you said that last season and you know what a cafuffle that caused"
Gerrard: "Yeah I know"
Parry: "So you're sure you want to go to Chelsea?"
Parry: "Right I will go and make a statement"

12 hours later................

Gerrard "I want to stay"

andy.jpg

rockykabir said:
He (or his family) was blatantly threatened.

Is it just me or almost every single controversial deals, either players or staffs, have involved Chelsea?

And most of the time the team that was victimized has said iIllegal approach made by them, players stating something unlogical / won't even tell the truth as the reason of leaving, etc.

Somethings fishy about Chelsky .. but I guess that's what you call a "public secret" ..

is he on crack or what???

I suppose the thought of liverpudlians burning his aston martin made him think twice! :)

all i can say is im glad he didnt go to chelsea, but what a roller coaster!

danwin said:
Parry: "Now remember you said that last season and you know what a cafuffle that caused"

Gerrard "I want to stay"

andy.jpg
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I have mixed feelings that Gerrard has decided to stay.
He's a great player, but I really hope we don't see this
saga every summer.
Even worse, what happens if Liverpool hit a bad patch during
the season, the press will start all over again with the rumours
of his leaving.

Maybe Liverpool did not show enough urgency to renew his contract
after Istanbul. I think both sides have made mistakes.

To be honest, I was looking forward to who we could sign
with the extra cash, but in a way a rejuvenated Gerrard
is probably the best thing in our midfield.

We still need a world-class striker and defender.

danwin said:

Gerrard "I want to stay"

andy.jpg
I nearly choked on my beer reading that, funny as fuck mate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

crayon said:
Who could we have bought with the money? Just out of interest....

aimar maybe ballack cuz ballack wants out and aimar had wanted a move to liverpool since hes on the bench at valencia

still hoping for aimar :O

foxrocks said:
That's what he wants you to think though, isn't it?

Seems clear to me that he never had any intention of staying. He's citing Liverpool dawdling over negotiations for a few days as the reason for leaving, but like Benitez said, that makes no sense when you remember that he's been telling them to wait for months.

He's making out it's their fault basically, but him and his agent wanted Chelsea all along imo.

Haha.

Shut up.

england22 said:
aimar maybe ballack cuz ballack wants out and aimar had wanted a move to liverpool since hes on the bench at valencia

still hoping for aimar :O

who're we going to get now?
Rafa said there could be 2-3 new signings this week.

To be honest,Gerrard doesnt exactly say "I Want To Leave Liverpool." did he? I dont think so.Blame the tabloids for sending out all the wrong signals.He stays for now,WHAT IF Liverpool won the Premiership next year and Chelski comes knockin in again? Haha.

mathewsss said:
who're we going to get now?
Rafa said there could be 2-3 new signings this week.

and let me guess , at least 2 of them will be again medicore spanish guys nobody ever heard of before ...

Spawn_68 said:
and let me guess , at least 2 of them will be again medicore spanish guys nobody ever heard of before ...
Not another Nunez, please! As long as they are young and have the potential of John Arne Riise, I don't mind.

I'm guessing Aimar, maybe Baraja, Saviola is available on a free.

We've been linked with Govou who Lyon said can go.

Milito or Upson.

Atleast one of them has to be a big signing.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...=benitez-agrees-terms-for-figo-name_page.html

Benitez agrees terms for Figo

Jul 7 2005

EXCLUSIVE by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

Luis Figo in action for Real Madrid

LIVERPOOL have agreed terms with Portuguese superstar Luis Figo - but the deal is on ice because Real Madrid have suddenly demanded a £2m transfer fee.

Figo secured a verbal agreement with the Spanish giants saying he could leave on a free if he found the right club.

But having concluded negotiations with the Reds, the 32-year-old midfielder is now livid with Real's u-turn. They now want a fee for his services.

Liverpool won't proceed with the transfer if they have to pay the Spanish club.

As the Figo deal faces deadlock, Benitez is edging closer to securing the services of Southampton's Peter Crouch and Valencia's Mohammed Sissoko.

No fee has been agreed with the Saints, but it now seems only a matter of time before the young striker moves to Anfield in a deal worth around £6.5m.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe is at loggerheads with his player and manager over the negotiations.

Redknapp is realistic about the situation, recognising Crouch has his heart set on the move. The St Mary's boss wants to get on with rebuilding his side with the kitty he'll get.

Lowe, however, continues to increase his valuation of the recently capped international, which has led to the stalemate.

However, Anfield sources say there could be progress on a Crouch deal over the next 24 hours.

In a frantic week off the park, Djimi Traore and Didi Hamann have today penned the deals agreed in the aftermath of the European Cup win.

And goalkeeper Pepe Reina is now free to make his debut at Wrexham on Saturday after receiving international clearance.

Liverpool are also making progress with negotiations regarding Jamie Carragher's future and expect the defender to sign his four-year-contract with skipper Steven Gerrard tomorrow.

"We're delighted to have secured Steven, Djimi and Didi, and now the future of Jamie is at the top of our minds," said chief executive Rick Parry today.

"We're very hopeful this will be sorted out very quickly."

Carragher, Gerrard and Traore will stay at the club until at least 2009, while Hamann has signed a one-year-deal.

also from the same site

Reds out to hijack Sissoko transfer

Jul 7 2005

By David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

Midfielder Mohamed Sissoko

LIVERPOOL are set to hijack Everton's swoop for Mali midfielder Mohammed Sissoko.

And in a crushing double blow for the Blues, Craig Bellamy has agreed to sign for Blackburn.

The Reds made an offer for Sissoko last night, after boss Rafa Benitez was alerted by Everton's interest in a player he had under his wing at Valencia. And the Blues fear that they could now miss out.

They also look set to miss out on Bellamy, who has agreed a flexible one-year deal with Blackburn - which allows him a getout clause if he is not happy with Rovers' progress at the end of the season.

Given the terms of the transfer, the Blues may not be too disappointed to miss out on the striker. But boss David Moyes will be devastated to lose Sissoko to the Reds.

The Blues thought they had a 5m euro deal wrapped up early this week. But Liverpool's interest has caused the player and his club to think again.

Everton still hope they can persuade both Sissoko and Italian left-back Emiliano Moretti to move to Goodison. But they will now have to rely on Moyes persuading the player that his opportunities for first team football would be much greater at Goodison than Anfield.

Benitez brought Sissoko to Spain from Auxerre as a teenager, paying a 1m euro compensation fee. And he has tracked his progress since he became Liverpool boss last summer.

A highly versatile performer who has played up front for Mali and right-back much of last season, Sissoko is rated as one of the most promising midfield talents in Europe and is still only 20.

Last edited:

Me likey the Figo talk even tho he's 32. The man can still play and he is hungry and pissed off at the way his Madrid career has closed. I'll take a semi-geezer legend with a chip on his shoulder over an unknown Spaniard any day of the week.

Getting Figo would allow us to play him on the right, his preferred position and tab Garcia out on the left where his left footed abilities are better utilised for crosses to the giant target man of Ichabod Crouch. lol.

Back
Top Bottom